Default SHEPHARDS PIE ??

I'm just edging into casseroles,
and this looked like a good starter.....

Just the name sounds intriguing.....
Here's the recipe ( simplified )

Saute ground beef
add a can of beef gravy
stir in mixed vegetables.
Spoon into a casserole dish
cover w/ mashed potatoes, and bake a while.

Questions;
When it's all done,
How do you serve it ? ( big spoon ? )
If you end up with a mound
of mashed potatoes, meat, gravy, etc.....
then why go through the "casserole" stage at all ?

???
<rj>
Stan Horwitz

In article >,
"<RJ>" > wrote:

> I'm just edging into casseroles,
> and this looked like a good starter.....
>
> Just the name sounds intriguing.....
> Here's the recipe ( simplified )
>
> Saute ground beef
> add a can of beef gravy
> stir in mixed vegetables.
> Spoon into a casserole dish
> cover w/ mashed potatoes, and bake a while.
>
> Questions;
> When it's all done,
> How do you serve it ? ( big spoon ? )

Yup. A big spoon is fine.

> If you end up with a mound
> of mashed potatoes, meat, gravy, etc.....
> then why go through the "casserole" stage at all ?

Try making your recipe and you'll find out for yourself.
Nancy Young

"" wrote:

> I'm just edging into casseroles,
> and this looked like a good starter.....
>
> Just the name sounds intriguing.....
> Here's the recipe ( simplified )
>
> Saute ground beef
> add a can of beef gravy
> stir in mixed vegetables.

I'll just warn you in advance, it's cottage pie. Shephard's pie
is made with lamb.

At any rate, I never had it, but people like it, so give it a
shot.

nancy
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> "" wrote:
>>
>> I'm just edging into casseroles,
>> and this looked like a good starter.....
>>
>> Just the name sounds intriguing.....
>> Here's the recipe ( simplified )
>>
>> Saute ground beef
>> add a can of beef gravy
>> stir in mixed vegetables.
>>

> I'll just warn you in advance, it's cottage pie. Shephard's pie
> is made with lamb.

Try explaining *that* to the reporter at the Wall Street Journal when you
tell her you're making Cottage Pie. She said, "Can I call it Sheperds
Pie?" and I said well, that's made with lamb. She said, "Oh really?! I
never knew that!" Then she didn't even identify the dish in the article.

> At any rate, I never had it, but people like it, so give it a
> shot.
>
> nancy

It's fine. Ground beef, ground pork, turkey, whatever.

Jill

zuuum

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> I'm just edging into casseroles,
> and this looked like a good starter.....

> Questions;
> When it's all done,
> How do you serve it ? ( big spoon ? )
> If you end up with a mound
> of mashed potatoes, meat, gravy, etc.....
> then why go through the "casserole" stage at all ?

Pipe the mashed potatoes in a zigzag pattern or spread thin (about 1/2"),
bake until browning a bit, you get more of a "pie" than a cassarole under a
heap of mashed potatoes.

Dave Smith

"" wrote:

> I'm just edging into casseroles,
> and this looked like a good starter.....
>
> Just the name sounds intriguing.....
> Here's the recipe ( simplified )
>
> Saute ground beef
> add a can of beef gravy
> stir in mixed vegetables.
> Spoon into a casserole dish
> cover w/ mashed potatoes, and bake a while.
>
> Questions;
> When it's all done,
> How do you serve it ? ( big spoon ? )
> If you end up with a mound
> of mashed potatoes, meat, gravy, etc.....
> then why go through the "casserole" stage at all ?

No. That is not a good starter. It looks like it came from one of those
cook books for bachelors. It is a poor excuse for a Shepherds Pie. Quite
frankly, a Shepherds Pie made with that recipe might as well be slopped
into a plate or bowl. A good Shepherds Pie is a pretty tasty dish and
well worth the work and presentation. Try Google.

Brick

On 20-Dec-2004, "<RJ>" > wrote:

> I'm just edging into casseroles,
> and this looked like a good starter.....
>
> Just the name sounds intriguing.....
> Here's the recipe ( simplified )
>
> Saute ground beef
> add a can of beef gravy
> stir in mixed vegetables.
> Spoon into a casserole dish
> cover w/ mashed potatoes, and bake a while.
>
> Questions;
> When it's all done,
> How do you serve it ? ( big spoon ? )
> If you end up with a mound
> of mashed potatoes, meat, gravy, etc.....
> then why go through the "casserole" stage at all ?
>
> ???
> <rj>

You have a good question. I hope somebody comes back with a
good answer. As for me, 'Don't fix what ain't broke'.

--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)