FoodBanter.com

-   -   Rose's Lime Cordial <-> Rose's Lime Juice - what's the difference? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/48750-roses-lime-cordial-roses.html)

[email protected] 21-12-2004 12:51 AM

Rose's Lime Cordial <-> Rose's Lime Juice - what's the difference?

http://www.mottsinteractive.com/roses_descrip.cfm

I can't even find the Lime Cordial listed as one of the 4 Rose's
products, yet I have a bottle of it, bought a few weeks ago.

So what's the difference? Are they the same, or not?
Why isin't listed on the above web-link?

DrinkBoy 21-12-2004 02:43 PM

wrote:
> So what's the difference? Are they the same, or not?

--------------------------

It had been my understanding that Rose's Lime Cordial is what they call
it in the UK, and that the same product is simply referred to as Rose's
Lime Juice here in the states. A while back however I ran across
something, somewhere, that appeared to indicate that the "cordial" was
sweeter than the "juice"... but I'd take that with a grain of salt.

But I never use Rose's Lime juice (or cordial) anyway (and rarely even
come close to recommending it), so for me anyway it's not an issue :->

The only cocktail recipe which should list Rose's Lime Juice as an
ingredient, is the Gimlet. And even then, I can make a far better one
with fresh lime juice and simple syrup.

The main think that ticks me off about the use of Rose's Lime Juice, is
when bartenders use it instead of fresh lime juice. They treat it as
the same thing, when it is nothing like it. If you are using it in a
recipe that truely needs Rose's, then that's fine. But be carefull,
I've seen a lot of recipes list Rose's, when the "real" recipe for that
drink doesn't. If your recipe for a Cosmopolitan lists Rose's, then
find a new recipe :->

-Robert

Arri London 21-12-2004 11:58 PM

wrote:

http://www.mottsinteractive.com/roses_descrip.cfm

> I can't even find the Lime Cordial listed as one of the 4 Rose's
> products, yet I have a bottle of it, bought a few weeks ago.
>
> So what's the difference? Are they the same, or not?
> Why isin't listed on the above web-link?

The lime cordial is a syrup containing sugar as well as lime juice.
The lime juice is just that; juice and perhaps a preservative.

Paul Knorr 23-12-2004 01:04 AM

Take a close look at the bottle. If the Lime Cordial that you have
has alcohol in it, then that's the difference. A Lime Cordial is
usually a lime liqueur with lime juice, sugar and a alcohol (usually
vodka) base. Roses lime juice is simply lime juice and sugar with no
alcohol.

-Paul
www.barback.com

Gabby 23-12-2004 03:14 AM

"Paul Knorr" > wrote in message
> Take a close look at the bottle. If the Lime Cordial that you have
> has alcohol in it, then that's the difference. A Lime Cordial is
> usually a lime liqueur with lime juice, sugar and a alcohol (usually
> vodka) base. Roses lime juice is simply lime juice and sugar with no
> alcohol.

There's Rose's Lime Cordial which you mix with water or club soda 3:1 to
make a drink then there's Rose's Unsweetened Lime Juice From Concentrate.
Two very different products, neither of them contains alcohol.

Gabby

Arri London 23-12-2004 11:57 PM

Paul Knorr wrote:

> Take a close look at the bottle. If the Lime Cordial that you have
> has alcohol in it, then that's the difference. A Lime Cordial is
> usually a lime liqueur with lime juice, sugar and a alcohol (usually
> vodka) base. Roses lime juice is simply lime juice and sugar with no
> alcohol.
>
> -Paul
> www.barback.com

Rose's Lime Cordial doesn't contain alcohol. Cordials were originally
believed to have health-giving properties, especially for the heart;
hence the name. They may or may not contain alcohol.

Arri London 23-12-2004 11:57 PM

[email protected] 30-12-2004 02:52 PM

Rose's Lime Cordial
(purchased at a grocery store in Ontario, Canada)

736 ml / 26 fl oz. bottle
Product of USA
Trademark of L. Rose and Company
Authorized User: Cadbury Beverages Canada Inc.
Mott's Division, Mississauga Ontario

Ingredients:
Water, Sugar, Concentrated lime juice, citric acid, natural flavors,
sodium metabisuphite, colors.

For free recipies call 1-800-270-9905

Barcode: 065912004119

No alcohol listed on the label (and if it had more than 0.5% alcohol
then it couldn't be sold at the store where it was bought anyway).

So why does the label identify this as "lime cordial" and not "lime
juice"?

Does it go by the name "lime cordial" in the UK, and hence they thought
that it should have the same label in Canada?

Do they think that the customer is looking to make an alcoholic drink
with it (ie a "cordial") and hence they slap the "cordial" label on it,
thinking that "lime juice" would be interpreted as an ordinary cooking
ingredient instead of a component of a mixed drink?

MOMPEAGRAM 30-12-2004 04:03 PM

I would think lime juice would have no sugar in it.

oups.com...

Gabby 30-12-2004 05:28 PM

Arri London 31-12-2004 12:25 AM

wrote:

> Rose's Lime Cordial
> (purchased at a grocery store in Ontario, Canada)
>
> 736 ml / 26 fl oz. bottle
> Product of USA
> Trademark of L. Rose and Company
> Authorized User: Cadbury Beverages Canada Inc.
> Mott's Division, Mississauga Ontario
>
> Ingredients:
> Water, Sugar, Concentrated lime juice, citric acid, natural flavors,
> sodium metabisuphite, colors.
>
> For free recipies call 1-800-270-9905
>
> Barcode: 065912004119
>
> No alcohol listed on the label (and if it had more than 0.5% alcohol
> then it couldn't be sold at the store where it was bought anyway).
>
> So why does the label identify this as "lime cordial" and not "lime
> juice"?

Because it contains sugar and other additives along with the lime juice.
So it isn't just lime juice, it is a cordial meant to be mixed with
something.

> Does it go by the name "lime cordial" in the UK, and hence they thought
> that it should have the same label in Canada?
>
> Do they think that the customer is looking to make an alcoholic drink
> with it (ie a "cordial") and hence they slap the "cordial" label on it,
> thinking that "lime juice" would be interpreted as an ordinary cooking
> ingredient instead of a component of a mixed drink?

The word cordial doesn't really just mean an alcoholic drink; at least
not in the UK. There are elderflower, berry, apple cordials etc. They
are syrups to be diluted with water or juice or alcohol.