Johnanne R Johnson

Default mincemeat roll/strudel?

Does anyone remember the old paperback cookbooks that used to come out
like once a month maybe in the seventies? (not sure) Taste of Home or Home
Cooking or something like that. Anyway, there was a mincemeat recipe for
something like a strudel in one of them. Basically there was a recipe for
a kind of pastry dough that you rolled out, spread the mincemeat on,
rolled up like a jelly roll, placed in a ring pan and then cut slits in
the top. I can't remember if there was any rising involved or not.
Can anyone remember this recipe or post something like it?

PENMART01

>Johnanne R Johnson writes:
>
>there was a mincemeat recipe for
>something like a strudel in one of them. Basically there was a recipe for
>a kind of pastry dough that you rolled out, spread the mincemeat on,
>rolled up like a jelly roll, placed in a ring pan and then cut slits in
>the top. I can't remember if there was any rising involved or not.
>Can anyone remember this recipe or post something like it?

If baked in a ring pan it's likely a yeast dough, maybe a type of sweet dough,
or perhaps if you searched <bobka recipe>.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Johnanne R Johnson writes:
>
>there was a mincemeat recipe for
>something like a strudel in one of them. Basically there was a recipe for
>a kind of pastry dough that you rolled out, spread the mincemeat on,
>rolled up like a jelly roll, placed in a ring pan and then cut slits in
>the top. I can't remember if there was any rising involved or not.
>Can anyone remember this recipe or post something like it?

If baked in a ring pan it's likely a yeast dough, maybe a type of sweet dough,
or perhaps if you searched <bobka recipe>.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Victor Sack

Johnanne R Johnson > wrote:

> Does anyone remember the old paperback cookbooks that used to come out
> like once a month maybe in the seventies? (not sure) Taste of Home or Home
> Cooking or something like that. Anyway, there was a mincemeat recipe for
> something like a strudel in one of them. Basically there was a recipe for
> a kind of pastry dough that you rolled out, spread the mincemeat on,
> rolled up like a jelly roll, placed in a ring pan and then cut slits in
> the top. I can't remember if there was any rising involved or not.
> Can anyone remember this recipe or post something like it?

Anything like this recipe, found at
<http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1818,159186-249195,00.html>?

Victor

FLEISCHSTRUDEL (MEAT STRUDEL)

2 c. flour
2 oz. lukewarm butter
1 beaten egg
4 oz. water

Sift flour into a bowl. Make a well in the center and pour into it
butter, beaten egg, and 1/2 of the water. Using a wooden spoon, work the
flour into the liquid; add remaining water as needed; then beat dough
vigorously around the sides of the bowl until dough is smooth, elastic
and no longer sticky. Shape into a ball. rinse bowl in very hot water,
dry and flour it lightly. Place dough into bowl, brush with additional
melted butter, cover with towel, and set to rest at least 30 minutes.

Using a rolling pin, roll dough on a floured dish towel into a large
square. Slip closed fists under dough. Working from center, stretch
dough with hand-over-hand motion toward edges. Make dough as thin as
possible without ripping. Place stretched dough back on towel. Note that
dough will be larger than towel. OK.

MEAT FILLING:

2 1/2 lbs. ground beef
2 eggs

The following for filling - to taste:

Salt, pepper, paprika, onion, nutmeg, garlic, soy sauce, bell pepper,
parsley

Combine the above ingredients. Brush melted butter into dough.

Spread meat filling over stretched dough. Fold edges inwards so that
filling does not spill while baking. Brush edges with butter. Roll the
dough, using the dish towel to help. Place strudel on a greased and
floured pan with the edge on the bottom.
Johnanne R Johnson

Thanks for looking, Victor, I had pretty much given up on the internet. :|
But this recipe is not quite right. The dough was more like, well, not exactly
like puff pastry, but there was cutting in of butter and that. I seem to
remember a resting period for it, but I think the recipe was listed as
some sort of breakfast type of (coffeecake?) for the holidays. I'm pretty
sure that you were supposed to drizzle some sort of glaze over it after it
came out of the oven also. (And toss slivered almonds on top too I think.)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Victor Sack wrote:

> > Does anyone remember the old paperback cookbooks that used to come out
> > like once a month maybe in the seventies? (not sure) Taste of Home or Home
> > Cooking or something like that. Anyway, there was a mincemeat recipe for
> > something like a strudel in one of them. Basically there was a recipe for
> > a kind of pastry dough that you rolled out, spread the mincemeat on,
> > rolled up like a jelly roll, placed in a ring pan and then cut slits in
> > the top. I can't remember if there was any rising involved or not.
> > Can anyone remember this recipe or post something like it?

> Anything like this recipe, found at
> <http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1818,159186-249195,00.html>?
>
> Victor
>
> FLEISCHSTRUDEL (MEAT STRUDEL)
>
> 2 c. flour
> 2 oz. lukewarm butter
> 1 beaten egg
> 4 oz. water
>
> Sift flour into a bowl. Make a well in the center and pour into it
> butter, beaten egg, and 1/2 of the water. Using a wooden spoon, work the
> flour into the liquid; add remaining water as needed; then beat dough
> vigorously around the sides of the bowl until dough is smooth, elastic
> and no longer sticky. Shape into a ball. rinse bowl in very hot water,
> dry and flour it lightly. Place dough into bowl, brush with additional
> melted butter, cover with towel, and set to rest at least 30 minutes.
>
> Using a rolling pin, roll dough on a floured dish towel into a large
> square. Slip closed fists under dough. Working from center, stretch
> dough with hand-over-hand motion toward edges. Make dough as thin as
> possible without ripping. Place stretched dough back on towel. Note that
> dough will be larger than towel. OK.
>
> MEAT FILLING:
>
> 2 1/2 lbs. ground beef
> 2 eggs
>
> The following for filling - to taste:
>
> Salt, pepper, paprika, onion, nutmeg, garlic, soy sauce, bell pepper,
> parsley
>
> Combine the above ingredients. Brush melted butter into dough.
>
> Spread meat filling over stretched dough. Fold edges inwards so that
> filling does not spill while baking. Brush edges with butter. Roll the
> dough, using the dish towel to help. Place strudel on a greased and
> floured pan with the edge on the bottom.

Johnanne R Johnson

Thanks for looking, Victor, I had pretty much given up on the internet. :|
But this recipe is not quite right. The dough was more like, well, not exactly
like puff pastry, but there was cutting in of butter and that. I seem to
remember a resting period for it, but I think the recipe was listed as
some sort of breakfast type of (coffeecake?) for the holidays. I'm pretty
sure that you were supposed to drizzle some sort of glaze over it after it
came out of the oven also. (And toss slivered almonds on top too I think.)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Victor Sack wrote:

> > Does anyone remember the old paperback cookbooks that used to come out
> > like once a month maybe in the seventies? (not sure) Taste of Home or Home
> > Cooking or something like that. Anyway, there was a mincemeat recipe for
> > something like a strudel in one of them. Basically there was a recipe for
> > a kind of pastry dough that you rolled out, spread the mincemeat on,
> > rolled up like a jelly roll, placed in a ring pan and then cut slits in
> > the top. I can't remember if there was any rising involved or not.
> > Can anyone remember this recipe or post something like it?

> Anything like this recipe, found at
> <http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1818,159186-249195,00.html>?
>
> Victor
>
> FLEISCHSTRUDEL (MEAT STRUDEL)
>
> 2 c. flour
> 2 oz. lukewarm butter
> 1 beaten egg
> 4 oz. water
>
> Sift flour into a bowl. Make a well in the center and pour into it
> butter, beaten egg, and 1/2 of the water. Using a wooden spoon, work the
> flour into the liquid; add remaining water as needed; then beat dough
> vigorously around the sides of the bowl until dough is smooth, elastic
> and no longer sticky. Shape into a ball. rinse bowl in very hot water,
> dry and flour it lightly. Place dough into bowl, brush with additional
> melted butter, cover with towel, and set to rest at least 30 minutes.
>
> Using a rolling pin, roll dough on a floured dish towel into a large
> square. Slip closed fists under dough. Working from center, stretch
> dough with hand-over-hand motion toward edges. Make dough as thin as
> possible without ripping. Place stretched dough back on towel. Note that
> dough will be larger than towel. OK.
>
> MEAT FILLING:
>
> 2 1/2 lbs. ground beef
> 2 eggs
>
> The following for filling - to taste:
>
> Salt, pepper, paprika, onion, nutmeg, garlic, soy sauce, bell pepper,
> parsley
>
> Combine the above ingredients. Brush melted butter into dough.
>
> Spread meat filling over stretched dough. Fold edges inwards so that
> filling does not spill while baking. Brush edges with butter. Roll the
> dough, using the dish towel to help. Place strudel on a greased and
> floured pan with the edge on the bottom.

zxcvbob

Johnanne R Johnson wrote:
> Thanks for looking, Victor, I had pretty much given up on the internet. :|
> But this recipe is not quite right. The dough was more like, well, not exactly
> like puff pastry, but there was cutting in of butter and that. I seem to
> remember a resting period for it, but I think the recipe was listed as
> some sort of breakfast type of (coffeecake?) for the holidays. I'm pretty
> sure that you were supposed to drizzle some sort of glaze over it after it
> came out of the oven also. (And toss slivered almonds on top too I think.)

Sheldon was on the right track with "Babka".

Do a search for "Swedish Tea Ring". It's very close to what you want,
and you can modify it to match your recollection of the original. (Use
commercial mincemeat for the filling, Cut the butter coarsely into the
flour rather than melt it with the milk, then you will have to raise the
dough overnight in the refrigerator instead of in a warm place, etc.)

Or just follow the directions and don't mess with it until you've tried
it once.

Best regards,
Bob