kalanamak

Gabby wrote:

> Just get Metamucil and mix it with your orange juice. It's natural (just
> fibre) and it doesn't have a 'laxative' effect. Just adds bulk and makes
> things move faster without irritating the bowel.
>
> Gabby

For some, the volumes of gas it produces is very painful.
For infrequent use, senna is gentle enough. For a really bad time,
magnesium citrate is fairly kind (start with half a bottle). If you feel
you have a "dry hard leading edge" enemas are the only way to go.
A palatable paste of bran, prune juice and apple sauce, a tablespoon
munched with two meals a day and slowly increased to 4 T 2x a day works
wonders for even the most persistantly constipated. Oh, an a trial of
dairy free diet. Works for many people.
blacksalt
who faces this professionally on nearly a daily basis
kalanamak

Gabby wrote:

> Just get Metamucil and mix it with your orange juice. It's natural (just
> fibre) and it doesn't have a 'laxative' effect. Just adds bulk and makes
> things move faster without irritating the bowel.
>
> Gabby

For some, the volumes of gas it produces is very painful.
For infrequent use, senna is gentle enough. For a really bad time,
magnesium citrate is fairly kind (start with half a bottle). If you feel
you have a "dry hard leading edge" enemas are the only way to go.
A palatable paste of bran, prune juice and apple sauce, a tablespoon
munched with two meals a day and slowly increased to 4 T 2x a day works
wonders for even the most persistantly constipated. Oh, an a trial of
dairy free diet. Works for many people.
blacksalt
who faces this professionally on nearly a daily basis
grooler

Default anything other than prune juice for purgative?

prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.

is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
not as sweet?

Goomba38

grooler wrote:

> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
>
> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
> not as sweet?

Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains
the peel (which contains pectin, a major
ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice works
well for some.
Goomba

Goomba38

grooler wrote:

> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
>
> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
> not as sweet?

Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains
the peel (which contains pectin, a major
ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice works
well for some.
Goomba

Al Patrick

I've read that wheatgrass juice can do the job, but I can't confirm
that. Unless you went to a juice bar or have a friend who raises
wheatgrass it may take you a week to get this! Bad things could happen
in that time! ;-)

Also, there are herbal laxatives you can buy. I'm assuming they are
"natural" though you'd take them as a tablet instead of "drinking" them
-- even though you are to drink plenty of water with them.

grooler wrote:
> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
>
> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
> not as sweet?

Al Patrick

grooler wrote:
> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
>
> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
> not as sweet?

zxcvbob

Epsoms salts.

Bob
zxcvbob

Epsoms salts.

Bob
Gabby

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> grooler wrote:
>
>> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
>> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
>>
>> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
>> not as sweet?

> Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains the peel (which contains
> pectin, a major ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice works well for
> some.
> Goomba

Just get Metamucil and mix it with your orange juice. It's natural (just
fibre) and it doesn't have a 'laxative' effect. Just adds bulk and makes
things move faster without irritating the bowel.

Gabby

Gabby

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> grooler wrote:
>
>> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
>> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
>>
>> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
>> not as sweet?

> Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains the peel (which contains
> pectin, a major ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice works well for
> some.
> Goomba

Just get Metamucil and mix it with your orange juice. It's natural (just
fibre) and it doesn't have a 'laxative' effect. Just adds bulk and makes
things move faster without irritating the bowel.

Gabby

Andy

"Gabby" > wrote in
:

> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
>> grooler wrote:
>>
>>> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet
>>> and upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
>>>
>>> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet

or
>>> not as sweet?

>> Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains the peel (which
>> contains pectin, a major ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice
>> works well for some.
>> Goomba

> Just get Metamucil and mix it with your orange juice. It's natural
> (just fibre) and it doesn't have a 'laxative' effect. Just adds

bulk
> and makes things move faster without irritating the bowel.
>
> Gabby

FLEET laxative suppositories.

Andy

Andy

"Gabby" > wrote in
:

> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
>> grooler wrote:
>>
>>> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet
>>> and upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
>>>
>>> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet

or
>>> not as sweet?

>> Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains the peel (which
>> contains pectin, a major ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice
>> works well for some.
>> Goomba

> Just get Metamucil and mix it with your orange juice. It's natural
> (just fibre) and it doesn't have a 'laxative' effect. Just adds

bulk
> and makes things move faster without irritating the bowel.
>
> Gabby

FLEET laxative suppositories.

Andy

Gabby

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> Gabby wrote:
>
>> Just get Metamucil and mix it with your orange juice. It's natural (just
>> fibre) and it doesn't have a 'laxative' effect. Just adds bulk and
>> makes
>> things move faster without irritating the bowel.
>>
>> Gabby

> For some, the volumes of gas it produces is very painful.
> A palatable paste of bran, prune juice and apple sauce,

I forgot about bran -- 1 tbsp in a glass of orange juice (not unpalatable if
you like 'pulpy orange juice) works very well too. I used that throughout
my pregnancies.

Gabby

Gabby

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> Gabby wrote:
>
>> Just get Metamucil and mix it with your orange juice. It's natural (just
>> fibre) and it doesn't have a 'laxative' effect. Just adds bulk and
>> makes
>> things move faster without irritating the bowel.
>>
>> Gabby

> For some, the volumes of gas it produces is very painful.
> A palatable paste of bran, prune juice and apple sauce,

I forgot about bran -- 1 tbsp in a glass of orange juice (not unpalatable if
you like 'pulpy orange juice) works very well too. I used that throughout
my pregnancies.

Gabby

Katra

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> grooler wrote:
>
> > prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
> > upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
> >
> > is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
> > not as sweet?

> Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains
> the peel (which contains pectin, a major
> ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice works
> well for some.
> Goomba

Dried Apricots... ;-)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> grooler wrote:
>
> > prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
> > upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
> >
> > is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
> > not as sweet?

> Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains
> the peel (which contains pectin, a major
> ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice works
> well for some.
> Goomba

Dried Apricots... ;-)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Epsoms salts.
>
> Bob

1 bottle of magnesium citrate...

99 cents at most stores in the "laxatives" section of the pharmacy.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Epsoms salts.
>
> Bob

1 bottle of magnesium citrate...

99 cents at most stores in the "laxatives" section of the pharmacy.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Denise Lane

grooler wrote:
> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
>
> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
> not as sweet?

Prunes

Equalactin

Docusate Sodium

Daily dose of Fiber Tabs to stay regular if it's an ongoing thing
(Costco has them cheap)

Denise Lane

grooler wrote:
> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
>
> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
> not as sweet?

Prunes

Equalactin

Docusate Sodium

Daily dose of Fiber Tabs to stay regular if it's an ongoing thing
(Costco has them cheap)
Denise Lane

grooler wrote:
> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
>
> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
> not as sweet?

Prunes

Equalactin

Docusate Sodium

Daily dose of Fiber Tabs to stay regular if it's an ongoing thing
(Costco has them cheap)
Katra

In article >,
"Gabby" > wrote:

> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> > grooler wrote:
> >
> >> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
> >> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
> >>
> >> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
> >> not as sweet?

> > Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains the peel (which contains
> > pectin, a major ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice works well for
> > some.
> > Goomba

> Just get Metamucil and mix it with your orange juice. It's natural (just
> fibre) and it doesn't have a 'laxative' effect. Just adds bulk and makes
> things move faster without irritating the bowel.
>
> Gabby

That's ok... unless you have IBS.
Then that stuff tends to back up on you.

It's not comfortable. :-(

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
"Gabby" > wrote:

> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> > grooler wrote:
> >
> >> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
> >> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
> >>
> >> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
> >> not as sweet?

> > Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains the peel (which contains
> > pectin, a major ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice works well for
> > some.
> > Goomba

> Just get Metamucil and mix it with your orange juice. It's natural (just
> fibre) and it doesn't have a 'laxative' effect. Just adds bulk and makes
> things move faster without irritating the bowel.
>
> Gabby

That's ok... unless you have IBS.
Then that stuff tends to back up on you.

It's not comfortable. :-(

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
"Gabby" > wrote:

> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> > grooler wrote:
> >
> >> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
> >> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
> >>
> >> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
> >> not as sweet?

> > Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains the peel (which contains
> > pectin, a major ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice works well for
> > some.
> > Goomba

> Just get Metamucil and mix it with your orange juice. It's natural (just
> fibre) and it doesn't have a 'laxative' effect. Just adds bulk and makes
> things move faster without irritating the bowel.
>
> Gabby

That's ok... unless you have IBS.
Then that stuff tends to back up on you.

It's not comfortable. :-(

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Denise Lane

Denise Lane wrote:

> Prunes

Ohh yeah, and I mean straight pitted prunes.

And they are not sweet like the juice.
It's almost like eating raisins, but with a different flavor.
Denise Lane

Denise Lane wrote:

> Prunes

Ohh yeah, and I mean straight pitted prunes.

And they are not sweet like the juice.
It's almost like eating raisins, but with a different flavor.
PENMART01

>grooler wrote:
>prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
>upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
>
>is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
>not as sweet?

Bran muffins....the recipe on a box of All Bran cereal works well, and there's
no end to the variations, so you won't get bored. I like to use the giant
muffin tins, grease them well with Crisco, and bake em long so a nice crust
develops.

recipes: http://www.kelloggs.com/brand/allbran/index.shtml

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

Katra writes:

> Goomba38 wrote:
>> grooler wrote:
>>
>> > prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
>> > upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
>> >
>> > is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
>> > not as sweet?

>> Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains
>> the peel (which contains pectin, a major
>> ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice works
>> well for some.
>> Goomba
>>

>Dried Apricots... ;-)

I think the OP said "not sweeet". ;-)

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

Katra writes:

> Goomba38 wrote:
>> grooler wrote:
>>
>> > prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
>> > upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
>> >
>> > is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
>> > not as sweet?

>> Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains
>> the peel (which contains pectin, a major
>> ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice works
>> well for some.
>> Goomba
>>

>Dried Apricots... ;-)

I think the OP said "not sweeet". ;-)

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Katra

In article >,
Denise Lane > wrote:

> grooler wrote:
> > prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
> > upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
> >
> > is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
> > not as sweet?
> >

> Prunes
>
> Equalactin
>
> Docusate Sodium
>
> Daily dose of Fiber Tabs to stay regular if it's an ongoing thing
> (Costco has them cheap)

I used to have a _lot_ of problems due to IBS.
I've personally found that just eating good, mostly fresh (few canned)
veggies on a daily basis has solved all of my problems!

I make up a stir fry for dad and I at least twice per week that contains
a good protein source, usually chicken, shrimp, thin sliced pork, eggs,
turkey, fish, or whatever, combined liberally with 3 or 4 veggies from
any of the following:

Bamboo shoots
water chestnuts
baby corn
(these are all canned, the rest are fresh)

button Mushrooms
shitake mushrooms
portabello mushrooms
oyster mushrooms
bok choy
baby bok choy
onions
brocolli
cauliflower
celery
daikon radish
red radish
scallions
shallots
carrots
string beans
reconstituted dried kelp
swiss chard (any color)
mustard greens
sliced cabbage
beet greens
endive
artichoke hearts (pre-steamed)
tomatoes
avocados
spinach
baby spinach

and whatever other veggie looks interesting
at the thai store. ;-)

Flavor with fresh ground black and/or white pepper
fresh grated ginger, either fresh or powdered
garlic and other herbs/spices to taste.

Both me and dad rarely ever suffer from
irregularity with daily consumption of
high fiber, low starch veggies and it's
a very satisfying diet!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
Denise Lane > wrote:

> grooler wrote:
> > prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
> > upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
> >
> > is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
> > not as sweet?
> >

> Prunes
>
> Equalactin
>
> Docusate Sodium
>
> Daily dose of Fiber Tabs to stay regular if it's an ongoing thing
> (Costco has them cheap)

I used to have a _lot_ of problems due to IBS.
I've personally found that just eating good, mostly fresh (few canned)
veggies on a daily basis has solved all of my problems!

I make up a stir fry for dad and I at least twice per week that contains
a good protein source, usually chicken, shrimp, thin sliced pork, eggs,
turkey, fish, or whatever, combined liberally with 3 or 4 veggies from
any of the following:

Bamboo shoots
water chestnuts
baby corn
(these are all canned, the rest are fresh)

button Mushrooms
shitake mushrooms
portabello mushrooms
oyster mushrooms
bok choy
baby bok choy
onions
brocolli
cauliflower
celery
daikon radish
red radish
scallions
shallots
carrots
string beans
reconstituted dried kelp
swiss chard (any color)
mustard greens
sliced cabbage
beet greens
endive
artichoke hearts (pre-steamed)
tomatoes
avocados
spinach
baby spinach

and whatever other veggie looks interesting
at the thai store. ;-)

Flavor with fresh ground black and/or white pepper
fresh grated ginger, either fresh or powdered
garlic and other herbs/spices to taste.

Both me and dad rarely ever suffer from
irregularity with daily consumption of
high fiber, low starch veggies and it's
a very satisfying diet!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Bob (this one)

Goomba38 wrote:

> grooler wrote:
>
>> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
>> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
>>
>> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
>> not as sweet?

> Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains the peel (which
> contains pectin, a major ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice works
> well for some.

Pectin *is* what makes it a good purgative. It's a soluble fiber,
precisely what prune juice and fresh plums have in such abundance.
Commercial apple sauce doesn't as a rule contain any peel.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Goomba38 wrote:

> grooler wrote:
>
>> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
>> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
>>
>> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
>> not as sweet?

> Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains the peel (which
> contains pectin, a major ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice works
> well for some.

Pectin *is* what makes it a good purgative. It's a soluble fiber,
precisely what prune juice and fresh plums have in such abundance.
Commercial apple sauce doesn't as a rule contain any peel.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Goomba38 wrote:

> grooler wrote:
>
>> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
>> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
>>
>> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
>> not as sweet?

> Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains the peel (which
> contains pectin, a major ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice works
> well for some.

Pectin *is* what makes it a good purgative. It's a soluble fiber,
precisely what prune juice and fresh plums have in such abundance.
Commercial apple sauce doesn't as a rule contain any peel.

Pastorio

Katra

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
>
> > grooler wrote:
> >
> >> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
> >> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
> >>
> >> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
> >> not as sweet?

> > Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains the peel (which
> > contains pectin, a major ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice works
> > well for some.

> Pectin *is* what makes it a good purgative. It's a soluble fiber,
> precisely what prune juice and fresh plums have in such abundance.
> Commercial apple sauce doesn't as a rule contain any peel.
>
> Pastorio

What about using just plain boxed fruit pectin then for making jellies
and jams?

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
>
> > grooler wrote:
> >
> >> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
> >> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
> >>
> >> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
> >> not as sweet?

> > Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains the peel (which
> > contains pectin, a major ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice works
> > well for some.

> Pectin *is* what makes it a good purgative. It's a soluble fiber,
> precisely what prune juice and fresh plums have in such abundance.
> Commercial apple sauce doesn't as a rule contain any peel.
>
> Pastorio

What about using just plain boxed fruit pectin then for making jellies
and jams?

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
>
> > grooler wrote:
> >
> >> prune juice works pretty good for constipation but it's too sweet and
> >> upsets my stomach and makes me feel kinda nauseous.
> >>
> >> is there something natural that's just as effective and not sweet or
> >> not as sweet?

> > Apple Juice. Not apple sauce because it contains the peel (which
> > contains pectin, a major ingredient in Pepto Bismol) but the juice works
> > well for some.

> Pectin *is* what makes it a good purgative. It's a soluble fiber,
> precisely what prune juice and fresh plums have in such abundance.
> Commercial apple sauce doesn't as a rule contain any peel.
>
> Pastorio

What about using just plain boxed fruit pectin then for making jellies
and jams?

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Recipe with Prune Juice? chichi General Cooking 4 16-09-2012 08:36 PM
Deer Prune brooklyn1 General Cooking 0 26-08-2010 12:27 AM
Prune Juice? Wayne Boatwright Diabetic 9 12-01-2006 01:44 AM
anything other than prune juice... Carol In WI General Cooking 4 13-12-2004 10:10 AM
Prune Cake Snowfeet1 General Cooking 2 03-01-2004 07:34 PM