Finocchio568

Default One 10" Tube Cake Pan = How Many 4" Mini Tube Pans?

I would like to bake a bunch of different types of cakes, using 4" inch, 1-cup
capacity tube cake pans.

For recipes that request one 10" tube cake pan, how many of those mini tube
cake pans do I need?

Thanks, Michael
Bob

Michael wrote:

> I would bake to bake a bunch of different types of cakes, using 4" inch,
> 1-cup capacity tube cake pans.
>
> For recipes that request one 10" tube cake pan, how many of those mini
> tube cake pans do I need?

Easy way to find out: Fill a 10" tube pan with water, then ladle/pour out
the water into a measuring pitcher. The number of cups which fit in the pan
is the same as the number of 1-cup pans you'll need.

You can also figure it out using calculus: You want the volume of the solid
of rotation created by rotating a displaced parabola around the Y axis. The
outer edge of the parabola is 5" from the origin, the height of the parabola
is around four or five inches, and the inner edge is about an inch and a
half to two inches. The solution is left as an exercise for the student. [I
used to teach calculus.]

Bob

Bob

Michael wrote:

> I would bake to bake a bunch of different types of cakes, using 4" inch,
> 1-cup capacity tube cake pans.
>
> For recipes that request one 10" tube cake pan, how many of those mini
> tube cake pans do I need?

Easy way to find out: Fill a 10" tube pan with water, then ladle/pour out
the water into a measuring pitcher. The number of cups which fit in the pan
is the same as the number of 1-cup pans you'll need.

You can also figure it out using calculus: You want the volume of the solid
of rotation created by rotating a displaced parabola around the Y axis. The
outer edge of the parabola is 5" from the origin, the height of the parabola
is around four or five inches, and the inner edge is about an inch and a
half to two inches. The solution is left as an exercise for the student. [I
used to teach calculus.]

Bob

PENMART01

> "Boob"virtualgoth writes:
>
>Michael wrote:
>
>> I would bake to bake a bunch of different types of cakes, using 4" inch,
>> 1-cup capacity tube cake pans.
>>
>> For recipes that request one 10" tube cake pan, how many of those mini
>> tube cake pans do I need?

>Easy way to find out: Fill a 10" tube pan with water, then ladle/pour out
>the water into a measuring pitcher. The number of cups which fit in the pan
>is the same as the number of 1-cup pans you'll need.

You've obviously never baked a cake... cake batter does not get filled to the
top of the pan nor do all cake batters fill alike so it cannot be assumed that
any one cake batter fill formula works for all... like I said, you're no baker.

That said even if a recipe indicates at what level to fill a ten inch tube pan
it cannot be assumed that miniature pans are to be filled to the same level (or
proportionately by volume). Cake batter does not expand linearly by volume.
Essentially one needs to interpolate based on past experience (if any) and
experiment.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

> "Boob"virtualgoth writes:
>
>Michael wrote:
>
>> I would bake to bake a bunch of different types of cakes, using 4" inch,
>> 1-cup capacity tube cake pans.
>>
>> For recipes that request one 10" tube cake pan, how many of those mini
>> tube cake pans do I need?

>Easy way to find out: Fill a 10" tube pan with water, then ladle/pour out
>the water into a measuring pitcher. The number of cups which fit in the pan
>is the same as the number of 1-cup pans you'll need.

You've obviously never baked a cake... cake batter does not get filled to the
top of the pan nor do all cake batters fill alike so it cannot be assumed that
any one cake batter fill formula works for all... like I said, you're no baker.

That said even if a recipe indicates at what level to fill a ten inch tube pan
it cannot be assumed that miniature pans are to be filled to the same level (or
proportionately by volume). Cake batter does not expand linearly by volume.
Essentially one needs to interpolate based on past experience (if any) and
experiment.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

DJS0302

>Michael wrote:
>
>> I would bake to bake a bunch of different types of cakes, using 4" inch,
>> 1-cup capacity tube cake pans.
>>
>> For recipes that request one 10" tube cake pan, how many of those mini
>> tube cake pans do I need?

>Easy way to find out: Fill a 10" tube pan with water, then ladle/pour out
>the water into a measuring pitcher. The number of cups which fit in the pan
>is the same as the number of 1-cup pans you'll need.
>
>You can also figure it out using calculus: You want the volume of the solid
>of rotation created by rotating a displaced parabola around the Y axis. The
>outer edge of the parabola is 5" from the origin, the height of the parabola
>is around four or five inches, and the inner edge is about an inch and a
>half to two inches. The solution is left as an exercise for the student. [I
>used to teach calculus.]
>
>Bob

I thought about telling him to use geometry to calculate the volumes of the
pans. Geometry was one of my best subjects. I hated calculus however. I took
pre-calculus and regular calculus and after that I never used calculus again.
That was 20 years ago. The only thing I remember about it is derivatives.
DJS0302

>Michael wrote:
>
>> I would bake to bake a bunch of different types of cakes, using 4" inch,
>> 1-cup capacity tube cake pans.
>>
>> For recipes that request one 10" tube cake pan, how many of those mini
>> tube cake pans do I need?

>Easy way to find out: Fill a 10" tube pan with water, then ladle/pour out
>the water into a measuring pitcher. The number of cups which fit in the pan
>is the same as the number of 1-cup pans you'll need.
>
>You can also figure it out using calculus: You want the volume of the solid
>of rotation created by rotating a displaced parabola around the Y axis. The
>outer edge of the parabola is 5" from the origin, the height of the parabola
>is around four or five inches, and the inner edge is about an inch and a
>half to two inches. The solution is left as an exercise for the student. [I
>used to teach calculus.]
>
>Bob

I thought about telling him to use geometry to calculate the volumes of the
pans. Geometry was one of my best subjects. I hated calculus however. I took
pre-calculus and regular calculus and after that I never used calculus again.
That was 20 years ago. The only thing I remember about it is derivatives.
Bob

PENMARTHA wrote:

> You've obviously never baked a cake... cake batter does not get filled to
> the top of the pan nor do all cake batters fill alike so it cannot be
> assumed that any one cake batter fill formula works for all... like I
> said, you're no baker.
>
> That said even if a recipe indicates at what level to fill a ten inch tube
> pan it cannot be assumed that miniature pans are to be filled to the same
> level (or proportionately by volume). Cake batter does not expand linearly
> by volume. Essentially one needs to interpolate based on past experience
> (if any) and experiment.

Portnoy, you have no clue as to what I've done or not done. The poster
wanted to know equivalence. I told him how to determine equivalence. You
didn't even make an attempt to do that, so just shut the **** up.

By the way, schmendrick, cake batter *does* expand in roughly linear
proportion to its original volume, although it might get a slight kick if
it's got double-acting baking powder. If you REALLY had the expertise you
claim, you should have known that.

Bob

Bob

tube pans? notbob General Cooking 58 24-12-2014 01:32 AM
chocolate vegan cake - you tube higher elvisarchy Vegan 0 23-05-2008 05:31 AM
Teflon-coated Tube Pan for Angelfood Cake? Vox Humana Baking 4 21-06-2005 04:37 AM
Teflon-Coated Tube Pan for Angelfood Cake? Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 2 20-06-2005 06:24 PM
One 10" Tube Cake Pan = How Many 4" Mini Tube Pans? Finocchio568 Baking 2 13-12-2004 03:09 AM