rmg

Default cookie decorating question

Greetings. Sorry for the cross-posting but this applies to both groups.

I was wondering the best way to apply "Lustre Dust" to cookies. Should they
be iced or not? Should the dust be sprinkled on by hand? Is there a good way
of doing it without wasting the lustre dust? Thanks for your input.

Lustre Dust URL:

http://www.surlatable.com/common/pro...01&PRRFNBR=349

I am not affiliated with Sur La Table or Lustre Dust.

cheers

Nexis

"rmg" > wrote in message
om...

> Greetings. Sorry for the cross-posting but this applies to both groups.
>
> I was wondering the best way to apply "Lustre Dust" to cookies. Should

they
> be iced or not? Should the dust be sprinkled on by hand? Is there a good

way
> of doing it without wasting the lustre dust? Thanks for your input.
>
> Lustre Dust URL:

http://www.surlatable.com/common/pro...01&PRRFNBR=349

> I am not affiliated with Sur La Table or Lustre Dust.
>
> cheers

If you ice the cookies, the lustre dust will be much more visible, and to
me, that would be what I want. To apply, I find the best way is to get a
couple good paintbrushes, the round sable and the stippling brushes are good
choices. Dip just the tip and either brush on, if your icing isn't wet, or
tap the handle of the brush while holding over the cookie.
For a really cool effect, bake round sugar cookies or even cupcakes. Dip the
tops in melted white chocolate (you can color the chocolate with powdered
food color or oil based food colors), and let set. Brush with lustre dust
for beautiful "ornaments" that taste as good as they look!

kimberly

Nexis

"rmg" > wrote in message
om...

> Greetings. Sorry for the cross-posting but this applies to both groups.
>
> I was wondering the best way to apply "Lustre Dust" to cookies. Should

they
> be iced or not? Should the dust be sprinkled on by hand? Is there a good

way
> of doing it without wasting the lustre dust? Thanks for your input.
>
> Lustre Dust URL:

http://www.surlatable.com/common/pro...01&PRRFNBR=349

> I am not affiliated with Sur La Table or Lustre Dust.
>
> cheers

If you ice the cookies, the lustre dust will be much more visible, and to
me, that would be what I want. To apply, I find the best way is to get a
couple good paintbrushes, the round sable and the stippling brushes are good
choices. Dip just the tip and either brush on, if your icing isn't wet, or
tap the handle of the brush while holding over the cookie.
For a really cool effect, bake round sugar cookies or even cupcakes. Dip the
tops in melted white chocolate (you can color the chocolate with powdered
food color or oil based food colors), and let set. Brush with lustre dust
for beautiful "ornaments" that taste as good as they look!

kimberly

jacqui{JB}

[cross-post to alt.cookies.yum.yum.yum. snipped]

"rmg" > wrote in message
om...

> I was wondering the best way to apply "Lustre Dust"
> to cookies. Should they be iced or not? Should the
> dust be sprinkled on by hand? Is there a good way
> of doing it without wasting the lustre dust?

It depends on the effect you're looking for. If you're decorating
something like springerle, you wouldn't want to ice them because you'd
lose the detail of the mold. In that case, mix some of the lustre
dust with a few drops of vodka to make a thick paint and then, using a
new, good-quality brush, brush on highlights.

But that's just me.
-j

jacqui{JB}

[cross-post to alt.cookies.yum.yum.yum. snipped]

"rmg" > wrote in message
om...

> I was wondering the best way to apply "Lustre Dust"
> to cookies. Should they be iced or not? Should the
> dust be sprinkled on by hand? Is there a good way
> of doing it without wasting the lustre dust?

It depends on the effect you're looking for. If you're decorating
something like springerle, you wouldn't want to ice them because you'd
lose the detail of the mold. In that case, mix some of the lustre
dust with a few drops of vodka to make a thick paint and then, using a
new, good-quality brush, brush on highlights.

But that's just me.
-j

jacqui{JB}

[cross-post to alt.cookies.yum.yum.yum. snipped]

"rmg" > wrote in message
om...

> I was wondering the best way to apply "Lustre Dust"
> to cookies. Should they be iced or not? Should the
> dust be sprinkled on by hand? Is there a good way
> of doing it without wasting the lustre dust?

It depends on the effect you're looking for. If you're decorating
something like springerle, you wouldn't want to ice them because you'd
lose the detail of the mold. In that case, mix some of the lustre
dust with a few drops of vodka to make a thick paint and then, using a
new, good-quality brush, brush on highlights.

But that's just me.
-j

Barbtail

The best way I've found to apply it is with a small paint brush- get a brand
new one and wash it well.

You can apply it to iced and non-iced items but they seem to show up best with
icing as a backround- it really depends on what affect you want. Try both
methods below and see what you like!

You can dry paint brush it or you can mix it with extract or high proof vodka
and paint it on wet- depends on what your painting it on though. Be careful
not to let colors bleed if using the wet method over colored icings.

Dry brush seems less wasteful as when ever I do the wet brush method it seems
so much of it is left behind in the bowl. But a drop or two of vodka and it's
ready to go again *laughs*. But where do you store it in the mean time?
*FLASH* I need to save those tiny plastic containers ya get with Chinese take
out- those would be perfect!

> was wondering the best way to apply "Lustre Dust" to cookies. Should they
>be iced or not? Should the dust be sprinkled on by hand? Is there a good way
>of doing it without wasting the lustre dust? Thanks for your input.
>
>Lustre Dust URL:
>

>http://www.surlatable.com/common/pro...fm?dmode=brows

e&StartRow=13&CRPCGNBR=30&CGRFNBR=101&PRRFNBR=34 9

>I am not affiliated with Sur La Table or Lustre Dust.
>
>cheers

Barbtail