FoodBanter.com

-   -   grating horseradish? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/47161-grating-horseradish.html)

[email protected] 11-12-2004 02:08 AM

grating horseradish?

Since I like fresh horseradish, I grabbed a piece of root at the market
the other day. Grating it turned out to be kind of a problem in my
low-tech kitchen. My cheap little Moulis grater didn't work nor did my
4-in-1 or cheese grater. I ended up using my old Universal grinder
which did OK but is impractical for small amounts. I don't own a
Cuisinart or Robot Coupe nor do I want to. Anybody have any low
tech/budget ideas?
TIA
D.M.

elaine 11-12-2004 02:23 AM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Since I like fresh horseradish, I grabbed a piece of root at the market
> the other day. Grating it turned out to be kind of a problem in my
> low-tech kitchen. My cheap little Moulis grater didn't work nor did my
> 4-in-1 or cheese grater. I ended up using my old Universal grinder
> which did OK but is impractical for small amounts. I don't own a
> Cuisinart or Robot Coupe nor do I want to. Anybody have any low
> tech/budget ideas?
> TIA

Microplane??

I wouldn't be without mine and it's my favourite gift for friends this
Christmas.

elaine 11-12-2004 02:23 AM

oups.com...

Hal Laurent 11-12-2004 02:38 AM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Since I like fresh horseradish, I grabbed a piece of root at the market
> the other day. Grating it turned out to be kind of a problem in my
> low-tech kitchen. My cheap little Moulis grater didn't work nor did my
> 4-in-1 or cheese grater.

By "4-in-1" do you mean a regular four-sided box grater? I've used one of
those to grate horseradish plenty of times with no problem. I use the
coarse side.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Hal Laurent 11-12-2004 02:38 AM

oups.com...

Steve Calvin 11-12-2004 03:12 AM

Hal Laurent wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Since I like fresh horseradish, I grabbed a piece of root at the market
>>the other day. Grating it turned out to be kind of a problem in my
>>low-tech kitchen. My cheap little Moulis grater didn't work nor did my
>>4-in-1 or cheese grater.

> By "4-in-1" do you mean a regular four-sided box grater? I've used one of
> those to grate horseradish plenty of times with no problem. I use the
> coarse side.
>
> Hal Laurent
> Baltimore

Yup, for small amounts they are the ticket.

--
Steve

Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there... I'm gonna
eat the next thing that comes outta it's ass?"

Steve Calvin 11-12-2004 03:12 AM

jacqui{JB} 11-12-2004 07:02 AM

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Since I like fresh horseradish, I grabbed a piece
> of root at the market the other day. Grating it
> turned out to be kind of a problem in my low-tech
> kitchen. My cheap little Moulis grater didn't work
> nor did my 4-in-1 or cheese grater. I ended up
> using my old Universal grinder which did OK but
> is impractical for small amounts. I don't own a Cuisinart
> or Robot Coupe nor do I want to. Anybody have
> any low tech/budget ideas?

A ceramic ginger grater -- basically a small saucer with a patch of
integrated ceramic spikes in the middle. I bought mine at one of the
big electronics stores in Tokyo (they had a small selection of
non-electronic items amongst the rice cooker section) for about
2USD -- certainly the bargain of our trip! Prior to that, I'd only
seen ginger graters at Williams-Sonoma, for about 12USD. Check your
local asian food stores for much better prices.
-j

Katra 11-12-2004 06:30 PM

In article .com>,
wrote:

> Since I like fresh horseradish, I grabbed a piece of root at the market
> the other day. Grating it turned out to be kind of a problem in my
> low-tech kitchen. My cheap little Moulis grater didn't work nor did my
> 4-in-1 or cheese grater. I ended up using my old Universal grinder
> which did OK but is impractical for small amounts. I don't own a
> Cuisinart or Robot Coupe nor do I want to. Anybody have any low
> tech/budget ideas?
> TIA
> D.M.

You can get a small food processer/chpper for less than $15.00.
I bought one at wal-mart for $9.99. The chamber is only about 6" across
and it does a nice job fine-mincing fresh ginger root for me. I see no
reason it'd not work on horse radish! Just slice it before putting it in
there.

HTH???

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra 11-12-2004 06:30 PM

[email protected] 13-12-2004 02:32 AM

Thanks to all who responded. I went out and bought a Microplane zester
and it was just what I needed. Thanks Elaine-

D.M.

[email protected] 13-12-2004 02:32 AM