Alexis Siefert

Default Pot-luck breakfast ideas

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm tired, and being tired and not feeling great
is keeping me from being able to think as creatively as I'd normally
wish. We're having our annual staff Christmas breakfast next week, and
I'm at a loss as to what to bring. Something that I can cook at home
and either serve cold or reheat (preferably in the microwave) at school.
Something I can cook the day or night before (the breakfast is early,
and I'm not feeling well enough to plan to be up super-early to cook).
And, as I know most of you are as well, I'm "expected" to come up with
something delicious and wonderful and different.

So, what are YOUR favorite breakfast pot-luck dishes?

Thanks!

Alexis.
Goomba38

Alexis Siefert wrote:
> Okay, I'll admit it. I'm tired, and being tired and not feeling great
> is keeping me from being able to think as creatively as I'd normally
> wish. We're having our annual staff Christmas breakfast next week, and
> I'm at a loss as to what to bring. Something that I can cook at home
> and either serve cold or reheat (preferably in the microwave) at school.
> Something I can cook the day or night before (the breakfast is early,
> and I'm not feeling well enough to plan to be up super-early to cook).
> And, as I know most of you are as well, I'm "expected" to come up with
> something delicious and wonderful and different.
>
> So, what are YOUR favorite breakfast pot-luck dishes?

cheese grits?
strata?
fresh fruit platter?
Juices galore?
banana bread and cream cheese spreads?
brown and serve type sausages?
one of those hash brown casseroles?

Goomba38

Alexis Siefert wrote:
> Okay, I'll admit it. I'm tired, and being tired and not feeling great
> is keeping me from being able to think as creatively as I'd normally
> wish. We're having our annual staff Christmas breakfast next week, and
> I'm at a loss as to what to bring. Something that I can cook at home
> and either serve cold or reheat (preferably in the microwave) at school.
> Something I can cook the day or night before (the breakfast is early,
> and I'm not feeling well enough to plan to be up super-early to cook).
> And, as I know most of you are as well, I'm "expected" to come up with
> something delicious and wonderful and different.
>
> So, what are YOUR favorite breakfast pot-luck dishes?

cheese grits?
strata?
fresh fruit platter?
Juices galore?
banana bread and cream cheese spreads?
brown and serve type sausages?
one of those hash brown casseroles?

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:44:50 -0900, Alexis Siefert
> wrote:

>Okay, I'll admit it. I'm tired, and being tired and not feeling great
>is keeping me from being able to think as creatively as I'd normally
>wish. We're having our annual staff Christmas breakfast next week, and
>I'm at a loss as to what to bring. Something that I can cook at home
>and either serve cold or reheat (preferably in the microwave) at school.
>Something I can cook the day or night before (the breakfast is early,
>and I'm not feeling well enough to plan to be up super-early to cook).
>And, as I know most of you are as well, I'm "expected" to come up with
>something delicious and wonderful and different.

After my recent good luck making gravlax from wild King Salmon, I
would make another of that and bring it with chevre and crusty bread.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:44:50 -0900, Alexis Siefert
> wrote:

>Okay, I'll admit it. I'm tired, and being tired and not feeling great
>is keeping me from being able to think as creatively as I'd normally
>wish. We're having our annual staff Christmas breakfast next week, and
>I'm at a loss as to what to bring. Something that I can cook at home
>and either serve cold or reheat (preferably in the microwave) at school.
>Something I can cook the day or night before (the breakfast is early,
>and I'm not feeling well enough to plan to be up super-early to cook).
>And, as I know most of you are as well, I'm "expected" to come up with
>something delicious and wonderful and different.

After my recent good luck making gravlax from wild King Salmon, I
would make another of that and bring it with chevre and crusty bread.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas

jmcquown

Alexis Siefert wrote:
>>> Okay, I'll admit it. I'm tired, and being tired and not feeling
>>> great
>>> is keeping me from being able to think as creatively as I'd normally
>>> wish. We're having our annual staff Christmas breakfast next week,
>>> and
>>> I'm at a loss as to what to bring. Something that I can cook at
>>> home
>>> and either serve cold or reheat (preferably in the microwave) at
>>> school. Something I can cook the day or night before (the breakfast
>>> is early,
>>> and I'm not feeling well enough to plan to be up super-early to
>>> cook).
>>> And, as I know most of you are as well, I'm "expected" to come up
>>> with something delicious and wonderful and different.
>>>

>> After my recent good luck making gravlax from wild King Salmon, I
>> would make another of that and bring it with chevre and crusty bread.
>>

> Now *that's* a great idea. I have two huge Kings in my freezer (yes,
> wild, and caught by your's truly). Did you happen to post the recipe
> already somewhere? If not, could you post it here?
>
> As for the fruit platters and juices and breads suggestion -- those
> are wonderful breakfast potluck ideas, but there are several
> non-cooks on staff and I try very hard not to bring anything that a
> non-cook would bring. I don't want to step on toes.
>
> Alexis.

Ahem. Most "non-cooks" wouldn't know gravlax with chevre from spackle &
paint. Make sure you don't regret using those King's on this crowd unless
you are purely out to impress someone.

Jill

jmcquown

Alexis Siefert wrote:
>>> Okay, I'll admit it. I'm tired, and being tired and not feeling
>>> great
>>> is keeping me from being able to think as creatively as I'd normally
>>> wish. We're having our annual staff Christmas breakfast next week,
>>> and
>>> I'm at a loss as to what to bring. Something that I can cook at
>>> home
>>> and either serve cold or reheat (preferably in the microwave) at
>>> school. Something I can cook the day or night before (the breakfast
>>> is early,
>>> and I'm not feeling well enough to plan to be up super-early to
>>> cook).
>>> And, as I know most of you are as well, I'm "expected" to come up
>>> with something delicious and wonderful and different.
>>>

>> After my recent good luck making gravlax from wild King Salmon, I
>> would make another of that and bring it with chevre and crusty bread.
>>

> Now *that's* a great idea. I have two huge Kings in my freezer (yes,
> wild, and caught by your's truly). Did you happen to post the recipe
> already somewhere? If not, could you post it here?
>
> As for the fruit platters and juices and breads suggestion -- those
> are wonderful breakfast potluck ideas, but there are several
> non-cooks on staff and I try very hard not to bring anything that a
> non-cook would bring. I don't want to step on toes.
>
> Alexis.

Ahem. Most "non-cooks" wouldn't know gravlax with chevre from spackle &
paint. Make sure you don't regret using those King's on this crowd unless
you are purely out to impress someone.

Jill

Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby

"Alexis Siefert" wrote ...
> Okay, I'll admit it. I'm tired, and being tired and not feeling great
> is keeping me from being able to think as creatively as I'd normally
> wish. We're having our annual staff Christmas breakfast next week, and
> I'm at a loss as to what to bring. Something that I can cook at home
> and either serve cold or reheat (preferably in the microwave) at school.
> Something I can cook the day or night before (the breakfast is early,
> and I'm not feeling well enough to plan to be up super-early to cook).
> And, as I know most of you are as well, I'm "expected" to come up with
> something delicious and wonderful and different.
>
> So, what are YOUR favorite breakfast pot-luck dishes?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alexis.

This strata is just a good cold (room temperature) as it is hot.

Pam

HASH BROWN STRATA

1 lb bacon, chopped

1 onion, chopped

8 eggs, beaten

1 lb potatoes, grated

2 3/4 c. shredded cheddar

1 small can sliced black olives, drained

1/3 c. chopped red pepper

1/3 c. chopped green pepper

1/2 tsp pepper

Soak grated potatoes in cold water and drain, twice. Brown bacon and onion.
Combine all ingredients and pour into a greased 9- x 13-in. pan. Bake in a
preheated 350° oven for 45 minutes.

Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby

"Alexis Siefert" wrote ...
> Okay, I'll admit it. I'm tired, and being tired and not feeling great
> is keeping me from being able to think as creatively as I'd normally
> wish. We're having our annual staff Christmas breakfast next week, and
> I'm at a loss as to what to bring. Something that I can cook at home
> and either serve cold or reheat (preferably in the microwave) at school.
> Something I can cook the day or night before (the breakfast is early,
> and I'm not feeling well enough to plan to be up super-early to cook).
> And, as I know most of you are as well, I'm "expected" to come up with
> something delicious and wonderful and different.
>
> So, what are YOUR favorite breakfast pot-luck dishes?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alexis.

This strata is just a good cold (room temperature) as it is hot.

Pam

HASH BROWN STRATA

1 lb bacon, chopped

1 onion, chopped

8 eggs, beaten

1 lb potatoes, grated

2 3/4 c. shredded cheddar

1 small can sliced black olives, drained

1/3 c. chopped red pepper

1/3 c. chopped green pepper

1/2 tsp pepper

Soak grated potatoes in cold water and drain, twice. Brown bacon and onion.
Combine all ingredients and pour into a greased 9- x 13-in. pan. Bake in a
preheated 350° oven for 45 minutes.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On 11 Dec 2004 07:20:35 GMT, unicate (Alexis
Siefert) wrote:

>>>And, as I know most of you are as well, I'm "expected" to come up with
>>>something delicious and wonderful and different.
>>>

>>After my recent good luck making gravlax from wild King Salmon, I
>>would make another of that and bring it with chevre and crusty bread.
>>

>Now *that's* a great idea. I have two huge Kings in my freezer (yes, wild, and
>caught by your's truly). Did you happen to post the recipe already somewhere?
>If not, could you post it here?

I don't think I did anything unusual, but this is it:

I saw a King filleted at a really good fishmongers. It spoke to me. I
asked for about two pounds off the forward end of a fillet.

I got a pound of salt and a pound of sugar and mixed them together. I
put a layer of the mix in the bottom of a shallow roasting pan and
placed the fillet, dried with paper towels, on it skin side down.

I looked in the closet for a little cognac to sprinkle on, but there
wasn't any, and it was Sunday AM. I settled for some rum which had
been there unused for many years, and sprinkled a few drops over the
flesh side.

I untied and washed a bunch of dill weed (bunch is a scientific
quantity, determined by the farmer), dried it and spread it over the
fish. I piled the rest of the salt/sugar mix over it. It was enough to
completely cover with a fair thickness.

I covered the pan with plastic wrap, and put a cast iron frying pan on
top. Piled some dinner plates on the frying pan, and left it for 12
hours on the table. At 10 PM I put it in the fridge, still Sunday.

On Tuesday evening I took it out of the cure, rinsed off and dried it,
and wrapped in waxed paper. Then I put it in a Ziplock bag and back in
the fridge. On Wednesday we put it in a cooler with cold paks and
other cold things and drove to Woods Hole (Cape Cod) where it went in
my cousin's fridge.

On Thursday relatives started showing up about 1 PM. I was busy
cooking so I commandeered someone to slice it. It was beyond my
expectations and cured throughout. Everyone else loved it as well, and
it dissappeared in a big hurry.

So:

Starting at or near room temperature, 12 hours rooom temp cure, 36-48
hours refridgerated cure. After that it can be kept refridgerated.

I don't know what effect freezing would have but I assume you have
done that before. Just be sure it is thawed completely before starting
the cure.

One reason I was surprised at how much I liked it was that gravlax is
a Scandinavian tradition obviously based on Atlantic Salmon, a quite
different fish. When salmon farming first started I thought it was the
greatiest idea in years, but it has proved to cause a lot of problems
and I have been reluctant to buy it for some time.

I know I like fresh King Salmon (is there anyone who doesn't) but I
had no idea how it would take to this treatment. Now I will use King
Salmon again. Indeed for Xmas Eve party next. I am hooked.

HTH

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas
Rodney Myrvaagnes

Siefert) wrote:

> [...]

So:

Starting at or near room temperature, 12 hours rooom temp cure, 36-48
hours refridgerated cure. After that it can be kept refridgerated.

I don't know what effect freezing would have but I assume you have
done that before. Just be sure it is thawed completely before starting
the cure.

One reason I was surprised at how much I liked it was that gravlax is
a Scandinavian tradition obviously based on Atlantic Salmon, a quite
different fish. When salmon farming first started I thought it was the
greatiest idea in years, but it has proved to cause a lot of problems
and I have been reluctant to buy it for some time.

I know I like fresh King Salmon (is there anyone who doesn't) but I
had no idea how it would take to this treatment. Now I will use King
Salmon again. Indeed for Xmas Eve party next. I am hooked.

Scotty

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .

>>> After my recent good luck making gravlax from wild King Salmon, I
>>> would make another of that and bring it with chevre and crusty bread.
>>>

>> Now *that's* a great idea. I have two huge Kings in my freezer (yes,
>> wild, and caught by your's truly). Did you happen to post the recipe
>> already somewhere? If not, could you post it here?
>>
>> As for the fruit platters and juices and breads suggestion -- those
>> are wonderful breakfast potluck ideas, but there are several
>> non-cooks on staff and I try very hard not to bring anything that a
>> non-cook would bring. I don't want to step on toes.
>>
>> Alexis.

> Ahem. Most "non-cooks" wouldn't know gravlax with chevre from spackle &
> paint. Make sure you don't regret using those King's on this crowd unless
> you are purely out to impress someone.
>
> Jill

You don't have to be a cook to appreciate fine food. As a cook, I know this
intimately from the feedback I get. Also I am always out to impress someone
when I cook. Even if it's only me.

Scott.

Alexis Siefert

>From: "Scotty"
>Date: 12/15/04 5:47 PM Alaskan Standard Time
>

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Now *that's* a great idea. I have two huge Kings in my freezer (yes,
>>> wild, and caught by your's truly). Did you happen to post the recipe
>>> already somewhere? If not, could you post it here?
>>>
>>> As for the fruit platters and juices and breads suggestion -- those
>>> are wonderful breakfast potluck ideas, but there are several
>>> non-cooks on staff and I try very hard not to bring anything that a
>>> non-cook would bring. I don't want to step on toes.
>>>
>>> Alexis.

>> Ahem. Most "non-cooks" wouldn't know gravlax with chevre from spackle &
>> paint. Make sure you don't regret using those King's on this crowd unless
>> you are purely out to impress someone.
>>
>> Jill

>You don't have to be a cook to appreciate fine food. As a cook, I know this
>intimately from the feedback I get. Also I am always out to impress someone
>when I cook. Even if it's only me.
>
>Scott.

That's an excellent point, Scott, and one I'd intended to make then forgot to
get back to this thread. On a staff with 40ish people, there are many
excellent cooks, many absolute non-cooks, and a lot of folks who fall somewhere
in between. Not everyone will bring something (it's designed that way) but
everyone on staff loves to eat and they all appreciate good food. The Cooks
are highly praised and warmly acknowledged for their efforts. The non-cooks
who bring the fruit trays and bagels and schmears and such are highly
appreciated for their thought and time.

BTW -- I've decided to make the mushroom-ham-egg "cups" I saw on the holiday
special of Queer Eye this past week. I'm sauteeing mushrooms for it here in a
few minutes. I'll only be able to do that much tonight; the rest will have to
be assembled when I get there. Unfortunately, it's a breakfast and we're
rather limited WRT time (we can't very well tell the kiddos to mind themselves
while we finish eating) so we're starting at 8am. The eggs have to bake for
about 20 minutes, and since I have a 45 minute drive into work, it's not
practical to bake them at home first. Means I have to be at work no later than
7:30 (to allow for time to get the ancient oven heated and the cups assembled
and baked). That's very early for me. I don't usually leave the house until
7, and an extra 15 minutes is sometimes hard to come by.

However, Christmas comes but once a year and the breakfast is THE staff meal of
the year (although we always seem to find an excuse for a luncheon).

Alexis.

Alexis Siefert

>From: "Scotty"
>Date: 12/15/04 5:47 PM Alaskan Standard Time
>

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Now *that's* a great idea. I have two huge Kings in my freezer (yes,
>>> wild, and caught by your's truly). Did you happen to post the recipe
>>> already somewhere? If not, could you post it here?
>>>
>>> As for the fruit platters and juices and breads suggestion -- those
>>> are wonderful breakfast potluck ideas, but there are several
>>> non-cooks on staff and I try very hard not to bring anything that a
>>> non-cook would bring. I don't want to step on toes.
>>>
>>> Alexis.

>> Ahem. Most "non-cooks" wouldn't know gravlax with chevre from spackle &
>> paint. Make sure you don't regret using those King's on this crowd unless
>> you are purely out to impress someone.
>>
>> Jill

>You don't have to be a cook to appreciate fine food. As a cook, I know this
>intimately from the feedback I get. Also I am always out to impress someone
>when I cook. Even if it's only me.
>
>Scott.

That's an excellent point, Scott, and one I'd intended to make then forgot to
get back to this thread. On a staff with 40ish people, there are many
excellent cooks, many absolute non-cooks, and a lot of folks who fall somewhere
in between. Not everyone will bring something (it's designed that way) but
everyone on staff loves to eat and they all appreciate good food. The Cooks
are highly praised and warmly acknowledged for their efforts. The non-cooks
who bring the fruit trays and bagels and schmears and such are highly
appreciated for their thought and time.

BTW -- I've decided to make the mushroom-ham-egg "cups" I saw on the holiday
special of Queer Eye this past week. I'm sauteeing mushrooms for it here in a
few minutes. I'll only be able to do that much tonight; the rest will have to
be assembled when I get there. Unfortunately, it's a breakfast and we're
rather limited WRT time (we can't very well tell the kiddos to mind themselves
while we finish eating) so we're starting at 8am. The eggs have to bake for
about 20 minutes, and since I have a 45 minute drive into work, it's not
practical to bake them at home first. Means I have to be at work no later than
7:30 (to allow for time to get the ancient oven heated and the cups assembled
and baked). That's very early for me. I don't usually leave the house until
7, and an extra 15 minutes is sometimes hard to come by.

However, Christmas comes but once a year and the breakfast is THE staff meal of
the year (although we always seem to find an excuse for a luncheon).

Alexis.
RTEXASCWBY

>BTW -- I've decided to make the mushroom-ham-egg "cups" I saw on the holiday
>special of Queer Eye this past week.

This sounds like something that I would like to make for friends at our
Christmas gather at the ranch. Would you mind posting the recipe? Oh and
please do it with new thread titled with the recipe. I am new to newsgroups
and that will help me find it. :-{ )

Thanks
Dan
RTEXASCWBY

>BTW -- I've decided to make the mushroom-ham-egg "cups" I saw on the holiday
>special of Queer Eye this past week.

This sounds like something that I would like to make for friends at our
Christmas gather at the ranch. Would you mind posting the recipe? Oh and
please do it with new thread titled with the recipe. I am new to newsgroups
and that will help me find it. :-{ )

Thanks
Dan

This my mother's recipe for baked eggs which is very quickly put
together and be cooked ahead of time.

Take a shallow baking dish large enough to hold a dozen eggs and coat
the inside with olive oil.
Add one dozen eggs and try not to break yokes.
Add one regular size bottle of Heinz or DelMonte chili sauce.
Add a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce
Add a few sprinkles of Tabasco
Add salt and pepper to taste
Stir all together carefully (the yolks!)
sprinkle top with good grated parmigiano
bake in 350F oven until eggs are no longer runny
Enjoy

D.M.