mary

Default Stew Chicken vs Regular Chicken

My local store has frozen stew chicken for sale at 99 cents per pound. Both
roasting chicken and frying chicken are the same price. It would seem as if
the stew chicken would not be worth it since I have heard they are egg
layers who are over the hill. What would be best making soup or a gravy?

Thanks

Tom

Peter Aitken

"mary" > wrote in message
> My local store has frozen stew chicken for sale at 99 cents per pound.

Both
> roasting chicken and frying chicken are the same price. It would seem as

if
> the stew chicken would not be worth it since I have heard they are egg
> layers who are over the hill. What would be best making soup or a gravy?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Go for the stew chicken. An old egg layer will not have the tender meat you
need for frying or baking, but it will have better flavor and will be
perfectly tender if stewed properly. I wish I could get them here.

--
Peter Aitken

Chicken stew Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 291 21-05-2016 02:54 AM
REC: Chicken Pot Pie Stew Koko General Cooking 5 03-03-2007 03:23 AM
Chicken Stew Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-06-2005 02:53 PM
chicken stew Michael Snow General Cooking 18 19-04-2004 12:12 AM