Rick & Cyndi

Default Ron Popeil Showtime Rotisserie... ROCKS!!

Woo-Hoo! Got it yesterday and used it twice - today! WOW!

I tell ya, it's everything Ron says it to be and more! If
Aroma-vision were available during his infomercials - factories
couldn't build the things fast enough.

This afternoon I did chicken breasts marinated and infused with
WishBone* Italian dressing... WOW! I actually made it for
friends of ours from church... so I only got to taste drippings
as I transferred it onto a plate for transporting... even if the
drippings tasted 10 times better than the chicken breasts
themselves... that would still be better than anything I've had
at a restaurant.

For our dinner I did a whole chicken. I infused it with some of
the WishBone* Natalie's Nalu (remember the dressing offered back
in September that was partnered with the Make-A-Wish foundation?
*That* dressing). So yummy... fork tender... juicy... wish you
could have been here terrific! This is one machine that will get
tons of use. In fact, I had Mom & Dad over and they're
considering getting one. Mom had mentioned, prior to eating,
that they had a George Foreman and it did a good job... two bites
into the chicken, "Honey, I think we might need to order one of
these...". You betcha! Awesome machine.

Love it, love it, love it!
--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Levelwave©

Rick & Cyndi wrote:

> If Aroma-vision were available during his infomercials - factories
> couldn't build the things fast enough.

Emeril, is that you?

~john
D.Currie

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in message
> Woo-Hoo! Got it yesterday and used it twice - today! WOW!
>
> I tell ya, it's everything Ron says it to be and more! If
> Aroma-vision were available during his infomercials - factories
> couldn't build the things fast enough.
>
> This afternoon I did chicken breasts marinated and infused with
> WishBone* Italian dressing... WOW! I actually made it for
> friends of ours from church... so I only got to taste drippings
> as I transferred it onto a plate for transporting... even if the
> drippings tasted 10 times better than the chicken breasts
> themselves... that would still be better than anything I've had
> at a restaurant.
>
> For our dinner I did a whole chicken. I infused it with some of
> the WishBone* Natalie's Nalu (remember the dressing offered back
> in September that was partnered with the Make-A-Wish foundation?
> *That* dressing). So yummy... fork tender... juicy... wish you
> could have been here terrific! This is one machine that will get
> tons of use. In fact, I had Mom & Dad over and they're
> considering getting one. Mom had mentioned, prior to eating,
> that they had a George Foreman and it did a good job... two bites
> into the chicken, "Honey, I think we might need to order one of
> these...". You betcha! Awesome machine.
>
> Love it, love it, love it!
> --
> Cyndi
> <Remove a "b" to reply>

Which model did you get? The all look so big in photos, but the measurements
seem awfully small.

Rick & Cyndi

"Levelwave©" > wrote in message
: Rick & Cyndi wrote:
:
: > If Aroma-vision were available during his infomercials -
factories
: > couldn't build the things fast enough.
:
:
: Emeril, is that you?
:
: ~john
=============

No... that's my brother. <G> Actually, my BIL does look a little
like him...!
--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Rick & Cyndi

"D.Currie" & Cyndi"

: > Woo-Hoo! Got it yesterday and used it twice - today! WOW!
: >
: > I tell ya, it's everything Ron says it to be and more! If
: > Aroma-vision were available during his infomercials -
factories
: > couldn't build the things fast enough.
: >Snip<

You betcha! Awesome machine.
: >
: > Love it, love it, love it!
: > --
: > Cyndi
: > <Remove a "b" to reply>
:
: Which model did you get? The all look so big in photos, but the
measurements
: seem awfully small.
:
: ====

I got the ST5000 Platinum. Woo-Hoo. It's the size of a larger,
kind of tall Toaster Oven.

It handled 3 chicken breasts that weighed in at 3.7 pounds with
ease... I later did a whole bird (which probably didn't weigh
much more than the 3 breasts... weird, huh?) just wonderfully. I
put it (whole bird) in lengthwise but could have done 2 birds
side by side just as easily.

Let me tell you one thing - Clean up is..... a BREEZE!! The
non-stick surfaces are really non stick! I know, that should be
a "duh" thing... but some stick more than others... it's
wonderful!

I got mine off of E-bay but the company that I bought it from has
their own site:

www.snappysalesusa.com I don't benefit from any of their
sales - although, if they want to send me something nice for
recommending them... I won't turn it down! The unit was packaged
very well and the delivery was super fast! Oh, and they followed
up already with an E-mail to make sure I was happy! From
bidding/ordering to delivery was 4 or 5 days.

I'm extremely pleased with the unit and so far, with the company
that sold it.

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Steve Knight

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:20:38 -0500, FERRANTE > wrote:

>I bought the new George Forman Contact Roaster a few weeks ago and I
>just love that. It is small and will accommodate a chicken up to five
>pounds. I bought a whole fryer, rubbed a spice mixture I put together
>in the cavity and cooked it for 70 minutes. I could not believe how
>delicious it was and the chicken was only $3.50, and it was fresh! No
>more Boston Market or KFC for me.

what's the big deal about roasting a chicken? I cook them at 500 degrees till
the leg is a bit loose nice and juicy and less then one hour.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Rick & Cyndi

:
: >I bought the new George Forman Contact Roaster a few weeks ago
and I
: >just love that. It is small and will accommodate a chicken up
to five
: >pounds. I bought a whole fryer, rubbed a spice mixture I put
together
: >in the cavity and cooked it for 70 minutes. I could not
believe how
: >delicious it was and the chicken was only $3.50, and it was
fresh! No
: >more Boston Market or KFC for me.
: >
:
: what's the big deal about roasting a chicken? I cook them at
500 degrees till
: the leg is a bit loose nice and juicy and less then one hour.
:
: --
: Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
: =====

Well... it's not really a "big deal"... but it beats the heck out
of heating up my large oven (and the kitchen during the summer!).
I know, makes no sense...! <shrug> Besides, I love kitchen
gadgets and appliances. Oh, and of course the 100s of cookbooks
to use with all of the above!

For years I used to poo-poo the idea of a bread machine. Somehow
I thought that was "cheating" but ya know, after I finally got
talked into getting one (funny story) I began to love mine - once
I finally used it. <G> Anyway, sometimes, as you well know,
there are little convenient gizmos/gadgets/thingies that once you
finally decide to get... you wonder why you didn't get it years
ago. I don't use my bread machine every month and probably by
next year I may only use my rotisserie every month or so too...
but I will, more than likely, get more than (in my mind) my
money's worth out of it and I really do like a lot of it's
features that make using it more convenient than if I threw it in
the oven. There is something about "rotisseried" foods that
drive me wild (in a good way). I don't always remember to baste
food in an oven as often as what naturally occurs in a
rotisserie.

I don't know... Don't you have some tools that others scratch
their heads about, as to why you have or need them? <shrug and
giggle>

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

InvisibooNut

Ohh I love my Showtime Rotisserie!

Got mine in early dec. I dont use it every day but ido try to use it a few
times a week.
I have the compact model.
I have done Sausages/Keilbasa and Fish in the basket attachment, both came out
wonderful!
Did Pork Loin Roasts, A turkey Breast, a Ham and New Years day I splurged and
got a 3 rib Prime rib roast.

The best things was the prime rib. It came out PERFECT! I had never cooked
Prime rib before.
The Turkey breast came out Very tasty. I injected it with a cajum marinade. The
Turkey breast once i got it on right i had a small problem with it rotating the
rib part kept catching.
Finally Pulled it out, Wacked off the rib cage and it cooked fine.

The Ham came out OK but not something to rave about. It got burned on one edge
and seemed to be on the salty side. Next time I will boil the Ham and bake it
with a glaze.

Cleanup is a breeze especially since i put foil in the bottom of the drip pan.
I bought the accessory kit with the kabob rods and the steamer/heater for the
top.
(Awesome to steam fresh veggies while the roast cooks but for things that take
less time, things like fresh carrots dont get cooked throughly)

This is one Popiel Idea I love! (well I still have my pocket fisherman
someplace too)

In rec.food.cooking, InvisibooNut > wrote:
> Ohh I love my Showtime Rotisserie!

I used mine again, because of this thread. I cooked a six pound Top Round
roast. It was fine.

The outside was very nicely browned, due no doubt to the radiant heat
method that is used.

It was somewhat overdone for my taste, due no doubt to my inexperience in
setting the timer. I usually use a Polder remote probe thermometer for
stuff like roasts, and I couldn't really do it using the rotisserie.

It was easy to use. But then again, putting a roast on a rack, in a
roasting pan, and throwing it into the oven is pretty easy too.

I missed having the drippings available in the bottom of the roasting pan
to make gravy with. OTOH, the roast was mucho juicy, so I had plenty of
au jus.

Clean-up is easy, because the major pieces all go into the dishwasher. My
roasting pan needs to be hand washed.

So the verdict is: Yeah, it works fine. I don't understand why people
love them so much, but they seem to work about as well as one would
expect. I guess I'll use it again, especially when I want to get a nice
crispy outside onto stuff.

One question for the popeilophiles out there - what can you cook in it
that comes out significantly better than any other method of cooking?
What is it uniquely superior at doing? Is it the crispy outside from the
radiant heat that attracts you? Or am I missing some unique aspect? Or
is it just that it works pretty good and is easy to clean? Or what?

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Rick & Cyndi

> wrote in message
: In rec.food.cooking, InvisibooNut > wrote:
: > Ohh I love my Showtime Rotisserie!
:
: I used mine again, because of this thread. I cooked a six
pound Top Round
: roast. It was fine.
:
: The outside was very nicely browned, due no doubt to the
radiant heat
: method that is used.
:
: It was somewhat overdone for my taste, due no doubt to my
inexperience in
: setting the timer. I usually use a Polder remote probe
thermometer for
: stuff like roasts, and I couldn't really do it using the
rotisserie.
:
: It was easy to use. But then again, putting a roast on a rack,
in a
: roasting pan, and throwing it into the oven is pretty easy too.
:
: I missed having the drippings available in the bottom of the
roasting pan
: to make gravy with. OTOH, the roast was mucho juicy, so I had
plenty of
: au jus.
:
: Clean-up is easy, because the major pieces all go into the
dishwasher. My
: roasting pan needs to be hand washed.
:
: So the verdict is: Yeah, it works fine. I don't understand
why people
: love them so much, but they seem to work about as well as one
would
: expect. I guess I'll use it again, especially when I want to
get a nice
: crispy outside onto stuff.
:
: One question for the popeilophiles out there - what can you
cook in it
: that comes out significantly better than any other method of
cooking?
: What is it uniquely superior at doing? Is it the crispy
outside from the
: radiant heat that attracts you? Or am I missing some unique
aspect? Or
: is it just that it works pretty good and is easy to clean? Or
what?
:
==========

So far we've done chicken breasts, a whole chicken, and some pork
chops. Everything came out perfect!

Juicy on the inside, extremely tender and the perfect crisp or
browned outside.

My likes (LOVE!) for it, so far, are the use of less electricity
(vs. big oven), cooler kitchen (than big oven), no basting (on my
part), weight times "x" minutes equals perfect cooking time (so
far!), ease of clean up - the non-stick really does what it's
supposed to, and if I want to put a dish of something on top of
the unit to cook or simply warm... it's essentially "free cooking
heat" since I don't have to use a stove burner or microwave.
Also, this Saturday the plan is to do a roast - I'm figuring on
making a gravy with the drippings which, since the drip pan is
located several inches away from the meat and from the heating
element - my guess is that the drippings won't burn as it
sometimes can in an oven... I know, logically speaking that
doesn't make any sense but my brain is saying differently after
viewing the drippings from the previous uses. This is one of the
few products that after a couple of uses I'm still not bored
with. I look forward to cooking many more things with it. In
fact, thanks for the reminder, our local p.i.t.a. store still has
a sale on turkey breasts at $0.79 per pound that should work out
very nicely. Woo-hoo, I can't wait to try it.

I dunno what the big love-fest is about... I relate to it as the
difference between baking cookies and baking a pie. Both require
a little prep/mixing time then they both go into the oven. Then
comes the big difference... you take the cookies out... put in
more... take them out... put them in.... but pies, on the hand,
you mix and pour and then bake. Period. You're done. Regular
baked chicken vs. Rotisserie... same thing... you prep you put
them in their respective units... for the chicken in the oven you
baste... baste... and baste again. The Rotisserie does that all
by itself. And, I don't worry about did I remember to turn it
from "preheat" to "bake" after I put it in... Arrgghh! I've
done that (left it on preheat) more times than I like to admit
to.

So... there's my reasoning.
--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

telmgren

> wrote in message
> In rec.food.cooking, InvisibooNut > wrote:
> One question for the popeilophiles out there - what can you cook in it
> that comes out significantly better than any other method of cooking?
> What is it uniquely superior at doing? Is it the crispy outside from the
> radiant heat that attracts you? Or am I missing some unique aspect? Or
> is it just that it works pretty good and is easy to clean? Or what?

I don't have a Showtime rotisserie, but I have a decent one that was given
to me by my MIL. I really like roasting chicken in it. The skin is crispy
on all sides and the meat is moist and tender. Yum!

In rec.food.cooking, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

> Have you tried a cat?

Not yet, but there's a big hefty one who lives next door

> I like it for rib eye roast, chicken, and hot dogs/sausages. The
> differences are subtle in some cases, but enough to make a difference. Much
> of it comes from the crispy outside due to the radiant heat. --

How do you do the sausages? Do you use the basket or the skewers? It
sounds like it might work GREAT for sausages; much easier than slowly
cooking them in a saute pan and watching them like a hawk.

And how long do you cook per pound for a nice rare/medium rare rib eye?

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

In rec.food.cooking, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

> > And how long do you cook per pound for a nice rare/medium rare rib
> > eye?

> I have no idea as to the per poind, but about 60 to 75 minutes is plenty of
> time depending on the doneness you like.

That makes perfect sense. I was thinking about the radiant method used,
and realized that the diameter of the roast is what is important, and not
the weight. in a regular oven, the heat comes from all sides, so the
weight is a proxy for the diameter.

i was thinking of getting a nice rib eye at BJ's, due to your suggestion.
But it was huge, so I was thinkng of cutting it in half. It was then
that I realized that cooking it for half the time made no sense. The
diameter would stay the same, as would the distance from the meat to the
calrod units. All that would change would be the length, which wouldn't
matter as far as cooking time is concerned.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Sarah

I had to come out of lurking for this... I have had my showtime rotisserie
since the first infomercial. It does a beautiful prime rib and for medium
rare according to the instructions it should be 18min per pound. This has
never failed me, good luck!
> wrote in message
> In rec.food.cooking, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:
>

> > > And how long do you cook per pound for a nice rare/medium rare rib
> > > eye?

> > I have no idea as to the per poind, but about 60 to 75 minutes is plenty

of
> > time depending on the doneness you like.

> That makes perfect sense. I was thinking about the radiant method used,
> and realized that the diameter of the roast is what is important, and not
> the weight. in a regular oven, the heat comes from all sides, so the
> weight is a proxy for the diameter.
>
> i was thinking of getting a nice rib eye at BJ's, due to your suggestion.
> But it was huge, so I was thinkng of cutting it in half. It was then
> that I realized that cooking it for half the time made no sense. The
> diameter would stay the same, as would the distance from the meat to the
> calrod units. All that would change would be the length, which wouldn't
> matter as far as cooking time is concerned.
>
> --
> ...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...
>
> - The Who

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message news:c1i473

> i was thinking of getting a nice rib eye at BJ's, due to your suggestion.
> But it was huge, so I was thinkng of cutting it in half. It was then
> that I realized that cooking it for half the time made no sense.

That is exactly what cut I use and from the same place. I'll cut off a bunch
of steaks and save 1/3 to 1/2 for the roast. I'll be going to BJ's this
week. The prices of beef have come down a bit already and I want to stock
the freezer by May 1st or so when the price of steaks goes up for grilling
season.
Ed

In rec.food.cooking, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

> > wrote in message news:c1i473

> > i was thinking of getting a nice rib eye at BJ's, due to your suggestion.
> > But it was huge, so I was thinkng of cutting it in half. It was then
> > that I realized that cooking it for half the time made no sense.

> That is exactly what cut I use and from the same place. I'll cut off a bunch
> of steaks and save 1/3 to 1/2 for the roast. I'll be going to BJ's this
> week. The prices of beef have come down a bit already and I want to stock
> the freezer by May 1st or so when the price of steaks goes up for grilling
> season.

BJ's is a great place to buy meat. For the price of cheap cuts of Select
meat at the supermarket, you can get USDA Choice ribeyes at BJ's.

The boneless chicken breasts, regular price, are significantly
cheaper at BJ's than they are on sale at the supermarket.

I bought a couple of cryovac'ed Tenderloin Butts at BJ's and sliced them
into steaks. Nice and thick. I counted them, divided that into the
purchase price, and realized that they cost me $3.00 each.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who