PENMART01

Default Strange behavior from my coffee percolator

>Andrew H. Carter writes:
>
>(DevTester) wrote:
>
>>I recently purchased a older Manning-Bowman coffee percolator
>>(possibly 1950's). It's in great shape, however, the machine keeps on
>>percolating until you unplug it. I was hoping that the machine would
>>stop percolating and continue to keep the coffee hot, but this isn't
>>the case. Is there anything that can be done with this coffee maker?
>>Is this normal behavior for an older coffee percolator?
>>
>>Thanks for any info on this issue.

>Hook it up to a timer? Determine how long it takes to brew,
>then have it shut off or reduce the power

Timers don't reduce power, some sort of rheostat would be necessary,
impractical for this perculator.

The early Manning Bowman perculator apparently didn't contain any keep-warm
device, it was simply unlugged and the coffee served immediately.

Scroll down to M-B perc:
http://www.toastercentral.com/appliance1.htm

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Andrew H. Carter writes:
>
>(DevTester) wrote:
>
>>I recently purchased a older Manning-Bowman coffee percolator
>>(possibly 1950's). It's in great shape, however, the machine keeps on
>>percolating until you unplug it. I was hoping that the machine would
>>stop percolating and continue to keep the coffee hot, but this isn't
>>the case. Is there anything that can be done with this coffee maker?
>>Is this normal behavior for an older coffee percolator?
>>
>>Thanks for any info on this issue.

>Hook it up to a timer? Determine how long it takes to brew,
>then have it shut off or reduce the power

Timers don't reduce power, some sort of rheostat would be necessary,
impractical for this perculator.

The early Manning Bowman perculator apparently didn't contain any keep-warm
device, it was simply unlugged and the coffee served immediately.

Scroll down to M-B perc:
http://www.toastercentral.com/appliance1.htm

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
DJS0302

>I recently purchased a older Manning-Bowman coffee percolator
>(possibly 1950's). It's in great shape, however, the machine keeps on
>percolating until you unplug it. I was hoping that the machine would
>stop percolating and continue to keep the coffee hot, but this isn't
>the case. Is there anything that can be done with this coffee maker?
>Is this normal behavior for an older coffee percolator?
>
>Thanks for any info on this issue.

So how do you know when the coffee is done to your liking? When the coffee has
perked long enough why don't you just take the stem and basket out of the pot.

Andrew H. Carter

On 01 Dec 2004 16:38:24 GMT, (PENMART01)
scribbled some thoughts:

>>Andrew H. Carter writes:
>>
>>(DevTester) wrote:
>>
>>>I recently purchased a older Manning-Bowman coffee percolator
>>>(possibly 1950's). It's in great shape, however, the machine keeps on
>>>percolating until you unplug it. I was hoping that the machine would
>>>stop percolating and continue to keep the coffee hot, but this isn't
>>>the case. Is there anything that can be done with this coffee maker?
>>>Is this normal behavior for an older coffee percolator?
>>>
>>>Thanks for any info on this issue.

>>Hook it up to a timer? Determine how long it takes to brew,
>>then have it shut off or reduce the power

>Timers don't reduce power, some sort of rheostat would be necessary,
>impractical for this perculator.

True, but perhaps one could figure a way. I bought from
Radio Shack a soldering iron temperature control switch.
You plug the iron into the switch then the switch into the
wall. The knob has a positive off and a red LED to let you
know there is power to it.

Perhaps examine the schematics of the timer circuit for a 2
hour coffee maker then go to Radio Shack and build one. Of
course as soon as you turn on a Mr. Coffee the warming plate
comes on, but perhaps if you have the right circuitry one
could make it so.

How 'bout some over kill? ;-)

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/acce...ontrols2.shtml

Cyclestat 4 Timer with Photosensor

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\
Andrew H. Carter

On 01 Dec 2004 16:38:24 GMT, (PENMART01)
scribbled some thoughts:

>>Andrew H. Carter writes:
>>
>>(DevTester) wrote:
>>
>>>I recently purchased a older Manning-Bowman coffee percolator
>>>(possibly 1950's). It's in great shape, however, the machine keeps on
>>>percolating until you unplug it. I was hoping that the machine would
>>>stop percolating and continue to keep the coffee hot, but this isn't
>>>the case. Is there anything that can be done with this coffee maker?
>>>Is this normal behavior for an older coffee percolator?
>>>
>>>Thanks for any info on this issue.

>>Hook it up to a timer? Determine how long it takes to brew,
>>then have it shut off or reduce the power

>Timers don't reduce power, some sort of rheostat would be necessary,
>impractical for this perculator.

True, but perhaps one could figure a way. I bought from
Radio Shack a soldering iron temperature control switch.
You plug the iron into the switch then the switch into the
wall. The knob has a positive off and a red LED to let you
know there is power to it.

Perhaps examine the schematics of the timer circuit for a 2
hour coffee maker then go to Radio Shack and build one. Of
course as soon as you turn on a Mr. Coffee the warming plate
comes on, but perhaps if you have the right circuitry one
could make it so.

How 'bout some over kill? ;-)

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/acce...ontrols2.shtml

Cyclestat 4 Timer with Photosensor

>The early Manning Bowman perculator apparently didn't contain any keep-warm
>device, it was simply unlugged and the coffee served immediately.
>
>Scroll down to M-B perc:
>http://www.toastercentral.com/appliance1.htm

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\
jmcquown

DevTester wrote:
> I recently purchased a older Manning-Bowman coffee percolator
> (possibly 1950's). It's in great shape, however, the machine keeps on
> percolating until you unplug it. I was hoping that the machine would
> stop percolating and continue to keep the coffee hot, but this isn't
> the case. Is there anything that can be done with this coffee maker?
> Is this normal behavior for an older coffee percolator?
>
> Thanks for any info on this issue.

(snipped major cross posting)

I don't know about this specific brand. However I had an old electric
percolator from the early 1960's which I wish I still had. Yes, it perked
until the coffee was done. If you left it sitting, it would perk again,
sort of as a reminder, hey, remove the basket and unplug me. It did not
have any fancy automatic shut-offs. If you want something like that, buy
Mr. Coffee. Freshly perked coffee is great stuff.

Jill

jmcquown

DevTester wrote:
> I recently purchased a older Manning-Bowman coffee percolator
> (possibly 1950's). It's in great shape, however, the machine keeps on
> percolating until you unplug it. I was hoping that the machine would
> stop percolating and continue to keep the coffee hot, but this isn't
> the case. Is there anything that can be done with this coffee maker?
> Is this normal behavior for an older coffee percolator?
>
> Thanks for any info on this issue.

(snipped major cross posting)

I don't know about this specific brand. However I had an old electric
percolator from the early 1960's which I wish I still had. Yes, it perked
until the coffee was done. If you left it sitting, it would perk again,
sort of as a reminder, hey, remove the basket and unplug me. It did not
have any fancy automatic shut-offs. If you want something like that, buy
Mr. Coffee. Freshly perked coffee is great stuff.

Jill

pennyaline

"jmcquown" wrote:
> I don't know about this specific brand. However I had an old electric
> percolator from the early 1960's which I wish I still had. Yes, it perked
> until the coffee was done. If you left it sitting, it would perk again,
> sort of as a reminder, hey, remove the basket and unplug me. It did not
> have any fancy automatic shut-offs. If you want something like that, buy
> Mr. Coffee. Freshly perked coffee is great stuff.

Agreed!

I all my years, I never saw a percolator that shut itself off. No pause in
perking... they just kept on going. When we were satisfied with the time
elapsed or the color and character of the coffee visible in the glass bubble
of the percolator lid, it was time to unplug and serve.

Mom was over the moon when one of the first Mr. Coffees came into the house
way way back. The percolator didn't have to be watched anymore, and the
filter baskets of an automatic drip were much easier to assemble and fill
than percolator baskets. Best of all: us kids could make the coffee now. It
wasn't all on Mom's shoulders.

pennyaline

"jmcquown" wrote:
> I don't know about this specific brand. However I had an old electric
> percolator from the early 1960's which I wish I still had. Yes, it perked
> until the coffee was done. If you left it sitting, it would perk again,
> sort of as a reminder, hey, remove the basket and unplug me. It did not
> have any fancy automatic shut-offs. If you want something like that, buy
> Mr. Coffee. Freshly perked coffee is great stuff.

Agreed!

I all my years, I never saw a percolator that shut itself off. No pause in
perking... they just kept on going. When we were satisfied with the time
elapsed or the color and character of the coffee visible in the glass bubble
of the percolator lid, it was time to unplug and serve.

Mom was over the moon when one of the first Mr. Coffees came into the house
way way back. The percolator didn't have to be watched anymore, and the
filter baskets of an automatic drip were much easier to assemble and fill
than percolator baskets. Best of all: us kids could make the coffee now. It
wasn't all on Mom's shoulders.

PENMART01

>"pennyaline" writes:
>
>I all my years, I never saw a percolator that shut itself off.

You must be extremely young.

The classic Farberware perculator shuts itself off...even has a little slide
tab to set coffee strength. Farberware now has a 'programable' version too

http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/ca...earch&itemId=c
prod1859828

http://tinyurl.com/69dpy

-----
programable version

http://www.epinions.com/content_16746909316

"The percolator system makes one of the fastest and hottest cups of coffee
around. This handsome and now-classic machine delivers 12 cups of piping hot
coffee in just 9 minutes, and keeps it hot until it automatically shuts off
after 2 hours. The machine forces hot water up through a center tube and then
sprays it over coffee resting in a metal filter basket below it; the water
passes over the coffee several times during brewing. The percolator sits on a
base containing a clock and timer, so you can program it to start brewing
before you to wake up."
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
DJS0302

>I all my years, I never saw a percolator that shut itself off. No pause in
>perking... they just kept on going. When we were satisfied with the time
>elapsed or the color and character of the coffee visible in the glass bubble
>of the percolator lid, it was time to unplug and serve.

My aunt had percolator that she had to use on the stove. The pot and lid were
made out of glass and the basket and stem were metal. For some reason she
never went out and bought an electric percolator.
DJS0302

>I all my years, I never saw a percolator that shut itself off. No pause in
>perking... they just kept on going. When we were satisfied with the time
>elapsed or the color and character of the coffee visible in the glass bubble
>of the percolator lid, it was time to unplug and serve.

My aunt had percolator that she had to use on the stove. The pot and lid were
made out of glass and the basket and stem were metal. For some reason she
never went out and bought an electric percolator.
jmcquown

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> DJS0302 wrote:
>
>>> I all my years, I never saw a percolator that shut itself off. No
>>> pause in perking... they just kept on going. When we were satisfied
>>> with the time elapsed or the color and character of the coffee
>>> visible in the glass bubble of the percolator lid, it was time to
>>> unplug and serve.

>> My aunt had percolator that she had to use on the stove. The pot
>> and lid were made out of glass and the basket and stem were metal.
>> For some reason she never went out and bought an electric percolator.

> Years ago something like an electric percolator was a fairly
> expensive item. I have some old magazines from the late 50's - early
> 60's with small appliance ads...even a cheaper electric percolator
> back then could be about the equivalent of a hundred or more bux in
> today's $$$...a deluxe model much more.

Try using an electric percolator on a camping trip... uh... Good
old-fashioned coffee over a wood fire, yeppers! Wonderful stuff! Screw
Starbucks.

Jill

Christopher Green

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message ink.net>...
> DJS0302 wrote:
>
> > >I all my years, I never saw a percolator that shut itself off. No pause

> in
> > >perking... they just kept on going. When we were satisfied with the time
> > >elapsed or the color and character of the coffee visible in the glass

> bubble
> > >of the percolator lid, it was time to unplug and serve.

> > My aunt had percolator that she had to use on the stove. The pot and lid

> were
> > made out of glass and the basket and stem were metal. For some reason she
> > never went out and bought an electric percolator.

> Years ago something like an electric percolator was a fairly expensive item.
> I have some old magazines from the late 50's - early 60's with small
> appliance ads...even a cheaper electric percolator back then could be about
> the equivalent of a hundred or more bux in today's $$$...a deluxe model much
> more.

Manning-Bowman small electrics were something special: Art Deco and
Bauhaus design in last-a-lifetime rugged appliances. That all changed
when they went downmarket. Oddly, that makes the later M-B examples
more valuable on the collector's market: they are rarer, because most
of them have been junked.

--
Chris Green
Gregory Morrow

Nancy Young wrote:

> Gawd, I bought my parents a coffee maker with a carafe because
> their percolator coffee was so horrid and burnt. Yuck. Then they
> would only have milk to lighten it up. Not enough milk in the
> world to make this stuff other than black. I'd bring along my
> own light cream, to no effect.

Yup and the combo of percolated - to - death coffee and that cheapo canned
coffee back in the day really put me off of coffee until I was well into
adulthood...the stuff tasted like old shoe polish :-(

--
Best
Greg

DJS0302

>Yup and the combo of percolated - to - death coffee and that cheapo canned
>coffee back in the day really put me off of coffee until I was well into
>adulthood...the stuff tasted like old shoe polish :-(

My mom said whenever her parents had company she and her sisters used to go
around drinking the dregs from all the used coffee cups. This was back in the
30's and early 40's.