FoodBanter.com

-   -   Souffle dish (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/46549-souffle-dish.html)

Melba's Jammin' 01-12-2004 02:46 PM

Souffle dish

All this souffle talk has me contemplating making one. For
straight-sided dishes I have a 1-1/2 quart Corning casserole with a
2-1/2" inside height and 7" diameter, and a smaller (one quart probably)
stoneware thang that has a 2-1/2" inside height and 6" diameter AND is
not straight-sided -- it comes in just a little bit at the top.

Would these work?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.

Sheryl Rosen 01-12-2004 04:31 PM

in article , Melba's
Jammin' at
wrote on 12/1/04 9:46 AM:

> All this souffle talk has me contemplating making one. For
> straight-sided dishes I have a 1-1/2 quart Corning casserole with a
> 2-1/2" inside height and 7" diameter, and a smaller (one quart probably)
> stoneware thang that has a 2-1/2" inside height and 6" diameter AND is
> not straight-sided -- it comes in just a little bit at the top.
>
> Would these work?

Go with the straight sided one and use a foil collar.

I watched Julia do this too, many years ago and there's a picture of it in
"Mastering..."

You take a big piece of heavy duty foil or parchment paper, fold it in 2 or
three so it's twice as tall as your dish. Then you butter and crumb it
heavily (as you do the inside of your mold) and wrap it around the outside
of the dish. Tie it with string around the dish, and I seem to recall Julia
using a straight pin to fasten it in several places.

Sheryl Rosen 01-12-2004 04:31 PM

in article , Melba's
Jammin' at

Sheryl Rosen 01-12-2004 04:31 PM

in article , Melba's
Jammin' at

Melba's Jammin' 01-12-2004 05:36 PM

In article >, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:
> Go with the straight sided one and use a foil collar.
>
> I watched Julia do this too, many years ago and there's a picture of
> it in "Mastering..."
>
> You take a big piece of heavy duty foil or parchment paper, fold it
> in 2 or three so it's twice as tall as your dish. Then you butter and
> crumb it heavily (as you do the inside of your mold) and wrap it
> around the outside of the dish. Tie it with string around the dish,
> and I seem to recall Julia using a straight pin to fasten it in
> several places.

Thanks, Sheryl. I forgot about the collar to be added. Am familiar
with the concept.

Melba's Jammin' 01-12-2004 05:36 PM

In article >, Sheryl Rosen

sf 02-12-2004 08:20 AM

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:46:19 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> All this souffle talk has me contemplating making one. For
> straight-sided dishes I have a 1-1/2 quart Corning casserole with a
> 2-1/2" inside height and 7" diameter, and a smaller (one quart probably)
> stoneware thang that has a 2-1/2" inside height and 6" diameter AND is
> not straight-sided -- it comes in just a little bit at the top.

You can make a souffle in any dish, Barb. It's not a
mystery recipe - even though we've been conditioned to think
it is.

Think of souffle as "peafowl". The traditional French Style
is like a beautiful peacock, but if you make one in a low,
wide dish... it's tastes the same, but it'slooks like a
doudy little peahen.

IMO: Taste is what counts, so use what you have and enjoy!

sf

Wayne Boatwright 02-12-2004 12:43 PM

sf > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:46:19 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> All this souffle talk has me contemplating making one. For
>> straight-sided dishes I have a 1-1/2 quart Corning casserole with a
>> 2-1/2" inside height and 7" diameter, and a smaller (one quart
>> probably) stoneware thang that has a 2-1/2" inside height and 6"
>> diameter AND is not straight-sided -- it comes in just a little bit at
>> the top.

> You can make a souffle in any dish, Barb. It's not a
> mystery recipe - even though we've been conditioned to think
> it is.
>
> Think of souffle as "peafowl". The traditional French Style
> is like a beautiful peacock, but if you make one in a low,
> wide dish... it's tastes the same, but it'slooks like a
> doudy little peahen.
>
> IMO: Taste is what counts, so use what you have and enjoy!
>
> sf

I'll bow to your knowledge about this, since I've not made a soufflé.
However, I've read that the reason for using a properly-sized,
straight-sided dish where height and diameter is of correct proportion was
to insure maximum rise and minimal deflation. Then again, perhaps that's
just part of our conditioning.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

sf 03-12-2004 05:06 AM

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 12:43:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> I'll bow to your knowledge about this, since I've not made a soufflé.
> However, I've read that the reason for using a properly-sized,
> straight-sided dish where height and diameter is of correct proportion was
> to insure maximum rise and minimal deflation.

You know the old saw... the quicker they rise, the faster
they fall and that applies to souffles too.

> Then again, perhaps that's just part of our conditioning.

It's also a competition between chefs that I'm not concerned
about. Pretty is good, but good taste is better.

:)

sf

sf 03-12-2004 05:06 AM

Wayne Boatwright 03-12-2004 06:02 AM

sf > wrote in news:3drvq01ae2tvo3609prh2bsm4vqn4hfpn9@
4ax.com:

> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 12:43:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> I'll bow to your knowledge about this, since I've not made a soufflé.
>> However, I've read that the reason for using a properly-sized,
>> straight-sided dish where height and diameter is of correct proportion
>> was to insure maximum rise and minimal deflation.

> You know the old saw... the quicker they rise, the faster
> they fall and that applies to souffles too.
>
>> Then again, perhaps that's just part of our conditioning.

> It's also a competition between chefs that I'm not concerned
> about. Pretty is good, but good taste is better.

Agreed!

Wayne Boatwright 03-12-2004 06:02 AM

Melba's Jammin' 04-12-2004 03:24 PM

In article >,
wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:46:19 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> > All this souffle talk has me contemplating making one. For
> > straight-sided dishes I have a 1-1/2 quart Corning casserole with
> > a 2-1/2" inside height and 7" diameter, and a smaller (one quart
> > probably) stoneware thang that has a 2-1/2" inside height and 6"
> > diameter AND is not straight-sided -- it comes in just a little
> > bit at the top.

> You can make a souffle in any dish, Barb. It's not a
> mystery recipe - even though we've been conditioned to think
> it is.

I'm not worried about the recipe (hey, I've won ribbons for chiffon
cakes) - just curious about the dish. Thanks. I'm thinking spinach
when i get around to it
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton

Melba's Jammin' 04-12-2004 03:24 PM

Bob (this one) 04-12-2004 03:57 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,=20
> wrote:
>=20
>=20
>>On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:46:19 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>>

>>> All this souffle talk has me contemplating making one. For=20
>>> straight-sided dishes I have a 1-1/2 quart Corning casserole with=20
>>> a 2-1/2" inside height and 7" diameter, and a smaller (one quart=20
>>> probably) stoneware thang that has a 2-1/2" inside height and 6"=20
>>> diameter AND is not straight-sided -- it comes in just a little=20
>>> bit at the top.

>=20
>>You can make a souffle in any dish, Barb. It's not a
>>mystery recipe - even though we've been conditioned to think
>>it is.

>=20
>=20
> I'm not worried about the recipe (hey, I've won ribbons for chiffon=20
> cakes) - just curious about the dish. Thanks. I'm thinking spinach=20
> when i get around to it

We used to make some of our souffl=E9s in my fancy-dancy restaurant on=20
flat plates. Put down a layer of a seafood-scented and flavored=20
mayonnaise, chopped lobster meat and caviar with other goodies added,=20
spoon the souffl=E9 batter over and pop into the oven. Puffed up most=20
splendidly. Charged an arm and a leg for it. I got to eat the=20
occasional mistakes. Heh...

Pastorio

Bob (this one) 04-12-2004 03:57 PM