Graham Toquer

Default Omelet Techniques

I wanted to post a reply to the "How do you make an omelet" thread but
could not figure out how to do it. The best omelets I've ever
personally seen made were at a chain of restaurants called Waffle
House. They're common in the South, but moving into the north as
well. (I suspect that their omelet expertise originally came from New
Orleans.) I was just overjoyed to find two in Ohio where I can stop
in while on vacation. I hadn't been in one in years.

Anyway, a chef there explained his technique to me. They use a bare
aluminum omelet pan, no non-stick coating. Each morning they season
the pan by polishing it with steel wool and then heating shortning in
it very hot, and letting it cool. I'm told this achieves a better
non-stick surface than teflon, and it lasts all day.

Being in a hurry, they don't thin their eggs with water, but they do
whip a lot of air into them with a blender. They cook in vegetable
shortning, essentially a commercial version of Crisco. They use quite
a bit of it, and a very hot flame. When the eggs go in, they puff up.
Because the pan is so non-stick, the chef can shake the pan a little
and the cooked portion will float up on top of the uncooked egg, which
runs underneath and cooks in turn. Add any toppings such as bacon or
ham, give it one flip, throw on the cheese and fold it over. It takes
an incredibly short period of time, and is untouched by human hands or
spatulas. It's an incredibly fluffy omelet.

I tried some while I was on vacation because I had access to a
thirty-year-old aluminum omelet pan, and they came out almost as good
as the ones at Waffle House. (I didn't have access to a gas burner,
alas.)

The problem is now that I'm at home, I'm having trouble finding a bare
aluminum omelet pan. Mine are non-stick, and they're not non-stick
enough. I know that from experience. I can get bare stainless steel,
but I'm not sure that it will season the way alumninum does. (Anyone
know one way or the other?) The absolute best omelet pans are copper,
but they cost an arm and a leg. Anyone know where I can get a bare
aluminum omelet pan?
Jimmy G

Any restaurant supply store will have them (Along with TONS of other goodies
you'll covet).

Jimmy G

Any restaurant supply store will have them (Along with TONS of other goodies
you'll covet).

zuuum

I've discovered one can actually season a stainless skillet to do a decent
job. The technique I learned, using aluminum, is to start with about 1/4"
of oil in the pan, high heat, swirling to cover the sides. Pour off the oil
into a side pan and return the seasoning pan to the heat... after it is
almost smoking but not yet browning, return the surplus oil. Repeat the
procedure several times, finally pouring out all the surplus oil. You'll
have a thick glaze on the surface eggs will slide over. I was amazed the
first time I saw just how non-stick a non-non-stick pan can be seasoned to.
One problem with stainless is it often has hot spots

Restuarant supply houses carry bare aluminum cookware, with removable hard
rubber handle insulators, so they can be used for oven finishing when
needed.

Peter Aitken

"Graham Toquer" > wrote in message
m...
> I wanted to post a reply to the "How do you make an omelet" thread but
> could not figure out how to do it. The best omelets I've ever
> personally seen made were at a chain of restaurants called Waffle
> House. They're common in the South, but moving into the north as
> well. (I suspect that their omelet expertise originally came from New
> Orleans.) I was just overjoyed to find two in Ohio where I can stop
> in while on vacation. I hadn't been in one in years.
>
> Anyway, a chef there explained his technique to me. They use a bare
> aluminum omelet pan, no non-stick coating. Each morning they season
> the pan by polishing it with steel wool and then heating shortning in
> it very hot, and letting it cool. I'm told this achieves a better
> non-stick surface than teflon, and it lasts all day.
>
> Being in a hurry, they don't thin their eggs with water, but they do
> whip a lot of air into them with a blender. They cook in vegetable
> shortning, essentially a commercial version of Crisco. They use quite
> a bit of it, and a very hot flame. When the eggs go in, they puff up.
> Because the pan is so non-stick, the chef can shake the pan a little
> and the cooked portion will float up on top of the uncooked egg, which
> runs underneath and cooks in turn. Add any toppings such as bacon or
> ham, give it one flip, throw on the cheese and fold it over. It takes
> an incredibly short period of time, and is untouched by human hands or
> spatulas. It's an incredibly fluffy omelet.
>
> I tried some while I was on vacation because I had access to a
> thirty-year-old aluminum omelet pan, and they came out almost as good
> as the ones at Waffle House. (I didn't have access to a gas burner,
> alas.)
>
> The problem is now that I'm at home, I'm having trouble finding a bare
> aluminum omelet pan. Mine are non-stick, and they're not non-stick
> enough. I know that from experience. I can get bare stainless steel,
> but I'm not sure that it will season the way alumninum does. (Anyone
> know one way or the other?) The absolute best omelet pans are copper,
> but they cost an arm and a leg. Anyone know where I can get a bare
> aluminum omelet pan?

I have one of those aluminum pans, 30 years old! Still works great. Try a
restaurant supply store.

Cooking an omelet in veg shortening seems like sacrilege to me - use butter!

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Graham Toquer" > wrote in message
m...
> I wanted to post a reply to the "How do you make an omelet" thread but
> could not figure out how to do it. The best omelets I've ever
> personally seen made were at a chain of restaurants called Waffle
> House. They're common in the South, but moving into the north as
> well. (I suspect that their omelet expertise originally came from New
> Orleans.) I was just overjoyed to find two in Ohio where I can stop
> in while on vacation. I hadn't been in one in years.
>
> Anyway, a chef there explained his technique to me. They use a bare
> aluminum omelet pan, no non-stick coating. Each morning they season
> the pan by polishing it with steel wool and then heating shortning in
> it very hot, and letting it cool. I'm told this achieves a better
> non-stick surface than teflon, and it lasts all day.
>
> Being in a hurry, they don't thin their eggs with water, but they do
> whip a lot of air into them with a blender. They cook in vegetable
> shortning, essentially a commercial version of Crisco. They use quite
> a bit of it, and a very hot flame. When the eggs go in, they puff up.
> Because the pan is so non-stick, the chef can shake the pan a little
> and the cooked portion will float up on top of the uncooked egg, which
> runs underneath and cooks in turn. Add any toppings such as bacon or
> ham, give it one flip, throw on the cheese and fold it over. It takes
> an incredibly short period of time, and is untouched by human hands or
> spatulas. It's an incredibly fluffy omelet.
>
> I tried some while I was on vacation because I had access to a
> thirty-year-old aluminum omelet pan, and they came out almost as good
> as the ones at Waffle House. (I didn't have access to a gas burner,
> alas.)
>
> The problem is now that I'm at home, I'm having trouble finding a bare
> aluminum omelet pan. Mine are non-stick, and they're not non-stick
> enough. I know that from experience. I can get bare stainless steel,
> but I'm not sure that it will season the way alumninum does. (Anyone
> know one way or the other?) The absolute best omelet pans are copper,
> but they cost an arm and a leg. Anyone know where I can get a bare
> aluminum omelet pan?

I have one of those aluminum pans, 30 years old! Still works great. Try a
restaurant supply store.

Cooking an omelet in veg shortening seems like sacrilege to me - use butter!

--
Peter Aitken

Rick & Cyndi

"Graham Toquer"

<snipping great stuff...>

> The problem is now that I'm at home, I'm having trouble finding a bare
> aluminum omelet pan. Mine are non-stick, and they're not non-stick
> enough. I know that from experience. I can get bare stainless steel,
> but I'm not sure that it will season the way alumninum does. (Anyone
> know one way or the other?) The absolute best omelet pans are copper,
> but they cost an arm and a leg. Anyone know where I can get a bare
> aluminum omelet pan?

============

Here's a wacky thought - maybe you could contact Waffle House and see if
they'll sell/order you one. <shrug> Worth a shot - especially since you
already know that they're perfect for what you want!

Cyndi

PENMART01

(Graham Toquer) wrote:

>The problem is now that I'm at home, I'm having trouble finding a bare
> aluminum omelet pan.

Why would you want some wussy
newbie-cook aluminum omelet pan...

Omelets are typically cooked in *carbon steel* pans... widely available and in
many sizes, inexpensive, easy to season, light weight.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

(Graham Toquer) wrote:

>The problem is now that I'm at home, I'm having trouble finding a bare
> aluminum omelet pan.

Why would you want some wussy
newbie-cook aluminum omelet pan...

Omelets are typically cooked in *carbon steel* pans... widely available and in
many sizes, inexpensive, easy to season, light weight.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Mpoconnor7

>Cooking an omelet in veg shortening seems like sacrilege to me - use butter!

I prefer bacon grease. I use a non-stick pan with a glass lid, and once I pour
the three whipped eggs into the pan I put the lid on and let it cook for 90
seconds to 2 minutes so the steam and heat released will be captured by the lid
and help cook the top. Once the top is cooked, I add the ingredients, and be
sure not to add too much filling. then flip it over and let it cook a minute or
so to melt the cheese.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelyhood of one individual being right increases in a direct proportion
to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong."
Graham Toquer

> Restaurant supply store.

I researched restaurant supplies on the Internet and it appears that I
can get what I want. Thanks for that idea.

occupant

> Being in a hurry, they don't thin their eggs with water, but they do
> whip a lot of air into them with a blender. They cook in vegetable
> shortning, essentially a commercial version of Crisco. They use quite
> a bit of it, and a very hot flame. When the eggs go in, they puff up.
> Because the pan is so non-stick, the chef can shake the pan a little
> and the cooked portion will float up on top of the uncooked egg, which
> runs underneath and cooks in turn. Add any toppings such as bacon or
> ham, give it one flip, throw on the cheese and fold it over. It takes
> an incredibly short period of time, and is untouched by human hands or
> spatulas. It's an incredibly fluffy omelet.

Season a 6 or 8 inch cast inron skillet. They are very cheap. heat the
pan on medium
add the oil and away you go. Just like the restaurant. You don't need
a gas burner.
Yoy need a hot pan which means you turn on the burner, pan on top and
then take the eggs from the
fridge to beat, etc. The pan has to be hot enough. Eggs don't know if
they are being cooked
by gas or electricity.
anthonyd

I've ordered from Acemart a bunch of times. They have a lot of
aluminum pans. Here is a sample:

https://www.acemart.com/merchant.mv?...od e=G8-3-5-1
Good luck!

Jimmy G wrote:
> Any restaurant supply store will have them (Along with TONS of other

goodies
> you'll covet).

You were right on both counts. I got a bare aluminum pan for ELEVEN
BUCKS. And there was LOTS of other great stuff there. Still not quite
up to Waffle House standards, but working on it.

Jimmy G wrote:
> Any restaurant supply store will have them (Along with TONS of other

goodies
> you'll covet).

You were right on both counts. I got a bare aluminum pan for ELEVEN
BUCKS. And there was LOTS of other great stuff there. Still not quite
up to Waffle House standards, but working on it.

Peter Aitken

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Jimmy G wrote:
> > Any restaurant supply store will have them (Along with TONS of other

> goodies
> > you'll covet).

> You were right on both counts. I got a bare aluminum pan for ELEVEN
> BUCKS. And there was LOTS of other great stuff there. Still not quite
> up to Waffle House standards, but working on it.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, but I feel obliged to point out
that on a scale of 1 to 10, Waffle House omelets are somewhere around a 3.
Actually, you might be happy to kearn this because it means you have a whole
world of omelet excellence to ecxplore.

--
Peter Aitken

I got myself a pan at a local restaurant supply store for eleven bucks.
Still working on equalling Waffle House quality, but I'm getting
there. For my latest attempt I tried seasoning the pan with extra
light olive oil instead of crisco. That seemed to do MUCH better.
There are a couple of other things I intend to try. I saw somewhere
that one of the French secrets to Omelets is tiny pieces of butter in
the Omelet batter. I've also heard of putting a little cornstarch in
the batter for an emulsifier.

Katra

In article .com>,
wrote:

> I got myself a pan at a local restaurant supply store for eleven bucks.
> Still working on equalling Waffle House quality, but I'm getting
> there. For my latest attempt I tried seasoning the pan with extra
> light olive oil instead of crisco. That seemed to do MUCH better.
> There are a couple of other things I intend to try. I saw somewhere
> that one of the French secrets to Omelets is tiny pieces of butter in
> the Omelet batter. I've also heard of putting a little cornstarch in
> the batter for an emulsifier.

I've always had a difficult time "flipping" an omelet over just right,
even with the "right" pan...

Just found the perfect pan at the local grocery store. ;-)

It's non-stick and HINGED in the middle!!! You essentially have two
connected pans so you put 1/2 of your whisked egg in either side and
manipulate it with a nylon spatula until it's cooked enough. Add your
filling and cheese to one side, then just "fold" the pan over which
drops the perfect other half of the omelet on top. This then creates a
covered pan so you can top it with cheese and give if a few seconds to
melt. Lift it out with the nylon spatula and you are done.

Perfect half-moon shaped stuffed omelet every time!

I'm fixin' to sweeten some egg and try a fruit omelet now as a dessert
dish. I learned about those back when I was in 4H.

Even tho' it's non-stick, I still drop a bit of butter in there first
for flavor.

I don't add anything to the "batter". It's just whisked egg, but I've
had a lot of duck eggs to work with lately. They tend to be a little
"tougher" than chicken egg so take manipulation better. I make a 3 egg
omelet, 1 chicken egg to two duck eggs.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
anthonyd

I'm a fan of adding melted butter or cream to the eggs. I don't like
milk or water added. I also don't leave my omelet alone until it's
pretty much done cooking, but I've never had a waffle house omelet, so
maybe I would convert! I'll have to try one on my next road trip.

RTEXASCWBY

>Mine are non-stick, and they're not non-stick
>enough.

Even non-stick pans need to be seasoned from time to time. Especially if you
clean them in a dishwasher which pretty much means every time you wash them.
The procedure is slightly different because you don't need to heat the pan to
season. Fold a paper towel and put a small amount of vegitable oil (I use
canola) in the pan and with the towel give it a good coat. Wipe away excess
oil and you are seasoned.

Dan

RTEXASCWBY

>Mine are non-stick, and they're not non-stick
>enough.

Even non-stick pans need to be seasoned from time to time. Especially if you
clean them in a dishwasher which pretty much means every time you wash them.
The procedure is slightly different because you don't need to heat the pan to
season. Fold a paper towel and put a small amount of vegitable oil (I use
canola) in the pan and with the towel give it a good coat. Wipe away excess
oil and you are seasoned.

Dan
TheAlligator

Katra > wrote:

>Just found the perfect pan at the local grocery store. ;-)
>
>It's non-stick and HINGED in the middle!!! You essentially have two
>connected pans so you put 1/2 of your whisked egg in either side and
>manipulate it with a nylon spatula until it's cooked enough. Add your
>filling and cheese to one side, then just "fold" the pan over which
>drops the perfect other half of the omelet on top.

Good Lord, that's not an omlet, it's an egg sandwich. A simple, basic
(not "French") omlet is so easy to fold. Grab the handle of the pan
"underhanded" (exact opposite of the way you normally grip a pan),
hold up a plate, slide the omlet halfway onto the plate, then use the
edge of the pan to fold the other half over the first. It may sound
weird, but if you try it once, it's as simple as breathing.
TheAlligator

Katra > wrote:

>Just found the perfect pan at the local grocery store. ;-)
>
>It's non-stick and HINGED in the middle!!! You essentially have two
>connected pans so you put 1/2 of your whisked egg in either side and
>manipulate it with a nylon spatula until it's cooked enough. Add your
>filling and cheese to one side, then just "fold" the pan over which
>drops the perfect other half of the omelet on top.

Good Lord, that's not an omlet, it's an egg sandwich. A simple, basic
(not "French") omlet is so easy to fold. Grab the handle of the pan
"underhanded" (exact opposite of the way you normally grip a pan),
hold up a plate, slide the omlet halfway onto the plate, then use the
edge of the pan to fold the other half over the first. It may sound
weird, but if you try it once, it's as simple as breathing.

Cooking techniques z z General Cooking 15 12-09-2012 12:55 PM
Broiling techniques (??!) Sky General Cooking 4 18-09-2008 05:37 PM
Tasting techniques. xDustinx Tea 46 10-12-2006 04:48 AM
Goo comments on his own techniques dh@. Vegan 0 16-07-2006 07:35 PM
smoker techniques? D Barbecue 3 14-02-2005 12:02 PM