pennyaline

Default Banana bread undercooked on top

"Robert" wrote:
> Every time I bake banana bread, I end up with the middle of the top of
> the loaf undercooked.

<snip>

> I use a high quality nonstick loaf pan.

Ah ha! Is it a dark high quality nonstick loaf pan? If it is, that could be
the problem.

Really! Dark pans encourage browning on the bottoms and outsides of a loaf,
cake, cookie, whatever you're baking on them while bright silvery albeit not
nonstick pans promote better heat transfer, less intense localize browning
and more even cooking.

Bob (this one)

Robert wrote:

> Every time I bake banana bread, I end up with the middle of the top of
> the loaf undercooked.
>
> I love it very moist and dense and won't eat it at all if it gets
> overcooked, but I can't figure out how to leave it in long enough to
> get the top cooked while not overcooking the middle and sides.

I suggest a new recipe. This one isn't working. Sounds like it's a bad
recipe rather than any mechanical issue.

Pastorio

> I have a convection oven and have tried both convection and regular
> baking options without success in either.
>
> I use a high quality nonstick loaf pan.
>
> TIA.
>
> Robert

Vox Humana

"Robert" > wrote in message
om...
> Every time I bake banana bread, I end up with the middle of the top of
> the loaf undercooked.
>
> I love it very moist and dense and won't eat it at all if it gets
> overcooked, but I can't figure out how to leave it in long enough to
> get the top cooked while not overcooking the middle and sides.
>
> I have a convection oven and have tried both convection and regular
> baking options without success in either.
>
> I use a high quality nonstick loaf pan.

It's strange that the top is raw when the rest is done. You may ultimately
have to find a new recipe. In the meantime, I would go back to the basics.
Make it in a shiny pan that you grease and line with parchment. Get an oven
thermometer and check that your oven temperature is accurate. Have the
ingredients at room temperature. Bake the quick bread with the pan in the
center of the oven and the top of the pan in the upper third of the oven.
Reduce the temperature by 25F in the convection mode and increase the time.
Make sure you are using medium sized bananas, not huge ones. A medium
banana is 7 - 7 7/8 inches long and is equal to 1/2 cup, mashed. Also,
don't take it out of the oven until it is done. An extra 10 minutes may be
enough to complete the baking without causing the rest of the loaf to become
dry.

It would be helpful if you posted the recipe.

Banana bread [email protected] General Cooking 51 21-10-2014 12:03 PM
Banana Bread kilikini General Cooking 45 02-07-2007 05:02 PM
My Banana Bread Tim Recipes 0 17-06-2005 12:03 PM
Banana bread undercooked on top Robert General Cooking 1 30-11-2004 04:20 PM
Banana Bread BOXMAN Coffee 0 10-02-2004 04:44 PM