Krystonia5

Default prime rib cooking question

when my wife cooks prime rib, it fills the whole house with smoke. she says
this is normal and necessary for it to turn out good.

She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2" deep) baking
pan, and insists that she can't cover it. She starts at 500 degrees, then
after a while lowers to 350, then later back up to 450 until done. meanwhile
the whole time it spits fat and the house fills with smoke.

any ideas?

thanks,
Paul
jmcquown

Krystonia5 wrote:
> when my wife cooks prime rib, it fills the whole house with smoke.
> she says this is normal and necessary for it to turn out good.
>
> She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2"
> deep) baking pan, and insists that she can't cover it. She starts
> at 500 degrees, then after a while lowers to 350, then later back up
> to 450 until done. meanwhile the whole time it spits fat and the
> house fills with smoke.
>
> any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> Paul

Turn on the overhead vent fan?

I roast standing rib like this all the time, my house isn't filled with
smoke when I do it.

Jill

BOB

Krystonia5 wrote:
> when my wife cooks prime rib, it fills the whole house with smoke. she says
> this is normal and necessary for it to turn out good.
>
> She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2" deep) baking
> pan, and insists that she can't cover it. She starts at 500 degrees, then
> after a while lowers to 350, then later back up to 450 until done.

meanwhile
> the whole time it spits fat and the house fills with smoke.
>
> any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> Paul

Clean the oven?
Turn on the exhaust fan?
Cook it outdoors in a grill?

Bob

Krystonia5 wrote:

> when my wife cooks prime rib, it fills the whole house with smoke. she says
> this is normal and necessary for it to turn out good.
>
> She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2" deep) baking
> pan, and insists that she can't cover it. She starts at 500 degrees, then
> after a while lowers to 350, then later back up to 450 until done. meanwhile
> the whole time it spits fat and the house fills with smoke.
>
> any ideas?

Low-temperature roast like restaurants do it. Roast at 220F to a
center temp of 125 for rare, 130 med-rare, 140 medium. Pull and let
rest for 20-30 minutes. Carve.

Start to finish, one temp. It will be more moist, more evenly cooked,
more tender and more flavorful.

Pastorio

Kenneth

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:22:25 -0500, Bob > wrote:

>Krystonia5 wrote:
>
>> when my wife cooks prime rib, it fills the whole house with smoke. she says
>> this is normal and necessary for it to turn out good.
>>
>> She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2" deep) baking
>> pan, and insists that she can't cover it. She starts at 500 degrees, then
>> after a while lowers to 350, then later back up to 450 until done. meanwhile
>> the whole time it spits fat and the house fills with smoke.
>>
>> any ideas?

>Low-temperature roast like restaurants do it. Roast at 220F to a
>center temp of 125 for rare, 130 med-rare, 140 medium. Pull and let
>rest for 20-30 minutes. Carve.
>
>Start to finish, one temp. It will be more moist, more evenly cooked,
>more tender and more flavorful.
>
>Pastorio

And keep some beet juice handy in case some of your guests want
"rare", and you only have "medium." <g>

--
Kenneth

Peter Aitken

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Krystonia5 wrote:
>
> > when my wife cooks prime rib, it fills the whole house with smoke. she

says
> > this is normal and necessary for it to turn out good.
> >
> > She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2" deep)

baking
> > pan, and insists that she can't cover it. She starts at 500 degrees,

then
> > after a while lowers to 350, then later back up to 450 until done.

meanwhile
> > the whole time it spits fat and the house fills with smoke.
> >
> > any ideas?

> Low-temperature roast like restaurants do it. Roast at 220F to a
> center temp of 125 for rare, 130 med-rare, 140 medium. Pull and let
> rest for 20-30 minutes. Carve.
>
> Start to finish, one temp. It will be more moist, more evenly cooked,
> more tender and more flavorful.
>
> Pastorio

Bob's on the right track but his technique does not give you the lovely
browned crust that is an essential part of a really good rib roast. My
favorite is to brown the roast in a pan on the stovetop first and then roast
at a low temp as he describes.

--
Peter Aitken

David Hare-Scott

"Krystonia5" > wrote in message
> when my wife cooks prime rib, it fills the whole house with smoke. she

says
> this is normal and necessary for it to turn out good.
>
> She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2" deep)

baking
> pan, and insists that she can't cover it. She starts at 500 degrees,

then
> after a while lowers to 350, then later back up to 450 until done.

meanwhile
> the whole time it spits fat and the house fills with smoke.
>
> any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> Paul

The smoke is mainly from the pan drippings burning or juices and fat
spattering on to the inside of the oven which also burn. As others have
suggested you can lower the temperature or if your oven has the facility,
lower the botton element power to cool the tray and if required compensate
by raising the top element power to brown the roast.

David

Edwin Pawlowski

Krystonia5 wrote:

> She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2"
> deep) baking pan, and insists that she can't cover it. She starts
> at 500 degrees, then after a while lowers to 350, then later back up
> to 450 until done. meanwhile the whole time it spits fat and the
> house fills with smoke.
>
> any ideas?

Try a little deeper pan to contain the splattering. We cook it the same way
in the bottom of a roasting pan, maybe 3" deep. Any splatter from fat stays
in the pan for au jus. No smoke in the house and a very nice bark on the
medium rare roast. --
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

PENMART01

>"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:
>
>Krystonia5 wrote:
>
>> She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2"
>> deep) baking pan, and insists that she can't cover it. She starts
>> at 500 degrees, then after a while lowers to 350, then later back up
>> to 450 until done. meanwhile the whole time it spits fat and the
>> house fills with smoke.
>>
>> any ideas?

>Try a little deeper pan to contain the splattering. We cook it the same way
>in the bottom of a roasting pan, maybe 3" deep. Any splatter from fat stays
>in the pan for au jus. No smoke in the house and a very nice bark on the
>medium rare roast. --
>Ed

Elevate roast with a "V" rack, with about a 1/2" of water in pan - zero smoke -
and au jus is practically made. An added bonus is that pan and rack are much
easier to clean.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Jerry Minasi

>>Low-temperature roast like restaurants do it. Roast at 220F to a
>>center temp of 125 for rare, 130 med-rare, 140 medium. Pull and let
>>rest for 20-30 minutes. Carve.
>>

>>Start to finish, one temp. It will be more moist, more evenly cooked,
>>more tender and more flavorful.
>>
>>Pastorio

>And keep some beet juice handy in case some of your guests want
>"rare", and you only have "medium." <g>

Start outside on a extremely hot barby or charcoal grill, browning the
roast on all sides. This way, all the smoke is outside!
Then, into the oven set at 225degrees F.(107C).
then, as above.
to see an example, go to: www. clubphoto.com. Enter:
See "Ginger's Roast beef".
Jerry