Oz

Default Help first timer make a R/Chicken

I've decided to make roast chicken tonight.
My plan is to put the chicken in a roasting dish with a few onions and
potatos.
Now my problem is; when do I put in the onions and potatos? Will they
overcook/burn if I put them in with the chicken?
Also, do I need to cover the chicken with foil?

I've had a look at a few websites, but nowhere seems to mention these basic
questions.

Thank you
Harold & Marilyn

cut up the chicken and get some shke and bake followdirection very
good

jmcquown

Oz wrote:
> I've decided to make roast chicken tonight.
> My plan is to put the chicken in a roasting dish with a few onions and
> potatos.
> Now my problem is; when do I put in the onions and potatos? Will they
> overcook/burn if I put them in with the chicken?
> Also, do I need to cover the chicken with foil?
>
> I've had a look at a few websites, but nowhere seems to mention these
> basic questions.
>
> Thank you

No need to add the root veggies if you're roasting a chicken. That's more
like for a stew or cut-up chicken. If you want you can add them in a
separate pan the last 30 minutes of baking.

Roasted whole chicken is simple. Place it on a rack in a roasting pan.
Brush the skin with melted butter or olive oil and sprinkle it with salt and
pepper. You may also want to sprinkle cavity - OH! make sure there are no
giblets and liver and gizzards packaged up inside the cavity. You can use
those to make gravy (or not) but remove them before you roast the chicken.

Roast the chicken based on the weight... I usually bake a 3 lb. hen for
about 2-1/2 hours at 325F. In the last hour, brush the chicken with the pan
drippings to ensure a nice crispy skin. Remove the chicken from the oven
and let stand about 10 minutes before you slice and serve (like a turkey).

If you want to get adventurous you can put a sliced lemon in the cavity of
the chicken before roasting. Or you can tuck sprigs of rosemary or basil
under the skin along the breast.

No foil, unless the legs/wings start to brown too much before the rest of
the chicken is cooked.

Jill

SportKite1

>From: Oz

>I've decided to make roast chicken tonight.
>My plan is to put the chicken in a roasting dish with a few onions and
>potatos.
>Now my problem is; when do I put in the onions and potatos? Will they
>overcook/burn if I put them in with the chicken?

Perfect Roast Chicken with Vegies
http://toottoot.com/r_recipe_perfroastchick.htm

Nancree

>Perfect Roast Chicken with Vegies
>http://toottoot.com/r_recipe_perfroastchick.htm

---------------------------------------
That looks like a great recipe, but I'm wondering about the length of the
cooking time. 425 degrees for an hour and a half seems awfully long. Maybe
that's meant for a large roasting chicken. Anyway, check at 1 hour and see how
it is doing.

Rhonda Witt

Place the chicken in a baking dish breast side up, put in about an inch
of water, slice onions aroud it, put salt and pepper on the chicken and
bake uncovered for 2 hours at 350 degrees. I usually stuff the chicken.
You can use the juices in the pan as an au jus gravey ( if too much
water has evaporated during cooking you may want to add a litle more).
My grandmother never thickened the gravey and neither do I. I have
never coked the potatoes with the chicken. I peel and cook them in a
seperate pot of water on top of the stove, drain, mash and add butter,
milk and salt. This is just plain simple cooking. Almost a lost art
nowdays but it does not get any better than this.

Bob

Nancree wrote:
>>Perfect Roast Chicken with Vegies
>>http://toottoot.com/r_recipe_perfroastchick.htm
>>

> ---------------------------------------
> That looks like a great recipe, but I'm wondering about the length of the
> cooking time. 425 degrees for an hour and a half seems awfully long. Maybe
> that's meant for a large roasting chicken. Anyway, check at 1 hour and see how
> it is doing.

Suggestion: Try a thermometer for sure results. For my tastes, 425 is
100 degrees hotter than I'd ever cook a chicken. I'd say to do them
between 275 and 325 depending on size and how you want the skin.
Larger is lower so it doesn't dry at the surface too much. Hotter is
crisper skin.

Test with a thermometer in the thigh away from bone. Cook to 160 to
165. Pull out of the oven, let rest for 15 minutes or a bit more and
carve. Moist, tender chicken.

Pastorio