FoodBanter.com

-   -   Black Friday purchase (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/45780-black-friday-purchase.html)

Andy 27-11-2004 09:11 AM

Black Friday purchase

Finally bought a multicooker. 12-qt. stockpot with pasta and steamer
inserts and glass lid w/vent.

$40.00

PITA to clean, imho. Oh well, always wanted one for some reason. ;)

Andy

Bob (this one) 27-11-2004 09:41 AM

Andy wrote:

> Finally bought a multicooker. 12-qt. stockpot with pasta and steamer
> inserts and glass lid w/vent.
>
> $40.00
>
> PITA to clean, imho. Oh well, always wanted one for some reason. ;)

I've never understood that "Black Friday" thing. When I was actively
selling my food products in farmers' markets, it was always about 10
times better than my next best day. Black Friday should be reserved
for disastrous occasions, not the ones that pay the bills. <G>

I always think of it as "Green Friday."

Pastorio

Bob (this one) 27-11-2004 09:41 AM

Andy 27-11-2004 10:36 AM

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in
:

> Andy wrote:
>
>> Finally bought a multicooker. 12-qt. stockpot with pasta and steamer
>> inserts and glass lid w/vent.
>>
>> $40.00
>>
>> PITA to clean, imho. Oh well, always wanted one for some reason. ;)

> I've never understood that "Black Friday" thing. When I was actively
> selling my food products in farmers' markets, it was always about 10
> times better than my next best day. Black Friday should be reserved
> for disastrous occasions, not the ones that pay the bills. <G>
>
> I always think of it as "Green Friday."
>
> Pastorio

Pastorio,

I imagine it's a financial reference, "being in the black" as opposed
to "being in the red".

Andy

Andy 27-11-2004 10:36 AM

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in
:

jmcquown 27-11-2004 12:43 PM

Andy wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>
>>> Finally bought a multicooker. 12-qt. stockpot with pasta and steamer
>>> inserts and glass lid w/vent.
>>>
>>> $40.00
>>>
>>> PITA to clean, imho. Oh well, always wanted one for some reason. ;)

>> I've never understood that "Black Friday" thing. When I was actively
>> selling my food products in farmers' markets, it was always about 10
>> times better than my next best day. Black Friday should be reserved
>> for disastrous occasions, not the ones that pay the bills. <G>
>>
>> I always think of it as "Green Friday."
>>
>> Pastorio

> Pastorio,
>
> I imagine it's a financial reference, "being in the black" as opposed
> to "being in the red".
>
> Andy

Exactly. The day after Thanksgiving in the USA is known for being the
busiest shopping day of the year, so for retailers it often puts them "in
the black" financially speaking.

Jill

jmcquown 27-11-2004 12:43 PM

Julia Altshuler 27-11-2004 01:26 PM

Bob (this one) wrote:

> I've never understood that "Black Friday" thing. When I was actively
> selling my food products in farmers' markets, it was always about 10
> times better than my next best day. Black Friday should be reserved for
> disastrous occasions, not the ones that pay the bills. <G>

In this case, a "black" day has both one meaning and its opposite. So
Black Monday and Black Tuesday were economic disaster days in 1929 at
the beginning of the Depression, but the day after Thanksgiving is a
black day because sales are normally so good the retailers are back in
the black on their balance sheets.

I'm interested in how sales the day after Thanksgiving work in the food
business. In the wine and cheese shop where I work, the day before
Thanksgiving was busy. We were swamped. People came in to buy large
quantities of good cheese and nice bottles of wine to serve on
Thanksgiving day. If they weren't serving Thanksgiving dinner, they
still bought both to take with them wherever they were going. The day
after Thanksgiving was dead. My boss was thinking that it would be a
good day because the day after Thanksgiving is famous for people going
out to buy Xmas gifts, and wine makes a nice gift, but instead, we were
so slow that my co-worker and I cleaned and organized 3 refrigerators.
(That's something I've been wanting to do for ages and was delighted to
have the chance. I love putting everything away where *I* think it
belongs.)

I guess the day after Thanksgiving is bound to be awful for people in
the restaurant-food business since people have leftovers in the house
but good for people in the retail-food business since people buy gifts.
Has that been the experience of the people on this list? If that
theory is correct, yesterday we learned that the wine and cheese shop
where I work is looked at more as a restaurant-food business than a
retail-food business.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler 27-11-2004 01:26 PM

Bob (this one) 27-11-2004 01:31 PM

:

>>>I've never understood that "Black Friday" thing. When I was actively
>>>selling my food products in farmers' markets, it was always about 10
>>>times better than my next best day. Black Friday should be reserved
>>>for disastrous occasions, not the ones that pay the bills. <G>
>>>
>>>I always think of it as "Green Friday."
>>>
>>>Pastorio

>>Pastorio,
>>
>>I imagine it's a financial reference, "being in the black" as opposed
>>to "being in the red".
>>
>>Andy

> Exactly. The day after Thanksgiving in the USA is known for being the
> busiest shopping day of the year, so for retailers it often puts them "in
> the black" financially speaking.

I dunno about that. The merchants I'm talking about didn't use those
uptown financial images the rest of the time. These aren't laptop/PDA
types; they're in our rural Mennonite markets. They were more likely
making reference to having to work harder on that day than any other.

I'm going to Costco today to pick up my new glasses and do a lot of
impulse purchasing. Stop at the Green Valley Book Fair (google it,
it'll blow you away) to ostensibly buy X-mas gifts but might
accidentally buy myself some books.

I've actually already bought gifts for several people. I'm stunned. So
early...

Pastorio

Bob (this one) 27-11-2004 01:31 PM

:

jmcquown 27-11-2004 01:52 PM

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> I've never understood that "Black Friday" thing. When I was actively
>> selling my food products in farmers' markets, it was always about 10
>> times better than my next best day. Black Friday should be reserved
>> for disastrous occasions, not the ones that pay the bills. <G>

> In this case, a "black" day has both one meaning and its opposite. So
> Black Monday and Black Tuesday were economic disaster days in 1929 at
> the beginning of the Depression, but the day after Thanksgiving is a
> black day because sales are normally so good the retailers are back in
> the black on their balance sheets.
>
> I guess the day after Thanksgiving is bound to be awful for people in
> the restaurant-food business since people have leftovers in the house
> but good for people in the retail-food business since people buy
> gifts.
> --Lia

I don't know about your business; you are probably correct about the
leftovers! I recall one Thanksgiving DAY when it was mandatory everyone
show up for work at the restaurant. (I also recall one bartender who
protested loudly he had plans and would not be there, regardless of the
schedule. He was honestly surprised when he was fired the next day for
failing to report.)

Management expected huge crowds of people who didn't want to cook. Planned
a special menu with turkey, dressing, gravy, etc. I was the hostess that
day and I and the servers just stood around, bored to tears. You can only
clean tables so many times. The only folks who had any business were the
bartenders (ha! The guy should have come to work!) and the cocktail
waitresses. I think a couple of people came in to buy caramel pies on their
way to someones dinner. And I seem to recall being vaguely thrilled when I
seated a party of six. That must have been the longest 8 hours of my life.

On the other hand, when I worked retail for a large retailer selling
clothing I ran my a** off the day after Thanksgiving. A person would have
to be nuts to go to a Mall on that day.

BTW, Lia, I did buy a bottle of wine yesterday as a gift. You are right;
the shop was not busy. Go figure.

Jill

jmcquown 27-11-2004 01:52 PM

Bob (this one) 27-11-2004 02:41 PM

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> I've never understood that "Black Friday" thing. When I was actively
>> selling my food products in farmers' markets, it was always about 10
>> times better than my next best day. Black Friday should be reserved
>> for disastrous occasions, not the ones that pay the bills. <G>

> In this case, a "black" day has both one meaning and its opposite. So
> Black Monday and Black Tuesday were economic disaster days in 1929 at
> the beginning of the Depression, but the day after Thanksgiving is a
> black day because sales are normally so good the retailers are back in
> the black on their balance sheets.
>

> I'm interested in how sales the day after Thanksgiving work in the food
> business.

Short version: you can go bowling in most restaurants and not hit
anybody. The only ones that do any appreciable business are the ones
in the mall food courts and fast food operations near malls and other
strong shopping areas.

Pastorio

Bob (this one) 27-11-2004 02:41 PM

Sheryl Rosen 27-11-2004 03:03 PM

in article 3g%pd.105480$5K2.14659@attbi_s03, Julia Altshuler at
wrote on 11/27/04 8:26 AM:

> I guess the day after Thanksgiving is bound to be awful for people in
> the restaurant-food business since people have leftovers in the house
> but good for people in the retail-food business since people buy gifts.
> Has that been the experience of the people on this list? If that
> theory is correct, yesterday we learned that the wine and cheese shop
> where I work is looked at more as a restaurant-food business than a
> retail-food business.
>

> --Lia

I know for me, wine and gourmet food items are gifts that I'm most likely to
pick up more at the last minute. Especially if the stores are not located
in malls. That's because they are easy gifts to pick up.

I went shopping yesterday....I went to 2 stores. Left my house at 6:30, was
at the mall 10 minutes later. Spent a little more than 2 hours shopping,
then was off to Kohl's for the rest of my list. The lines at the mall
department store were not bad at all, maybe 3-4 deep. And the shopping was
easy, it wasn't all that crowded. I didn't venture out into the mall, I
just went into the one store I needed and left via the same door I came in.

Kohl's was another story entirely! Crowded....merchandise everywhere,
lines...you name it. Of course, it was only 9:30 and the store had been open
for 4 hours!!!!! Still, I was able to complete my list, except for a small
item for my BIL and something for my friend's parents. I also need a few
more gift boxes and a couple skeins of yarn to complete some crocheted gifts
I'm making, so I can probably finish up my list at Walmart.

Oh, and b/c Kohl's gave out $10 gift certificates good for next week with
every $50 you spent, I can go back next week to pick up a couple serving
pieces for my Chanukah party. :-)

Sheryl Rosen 27-11-2004 03:03 PM

Tony P. 27-11-2004 03:17 PM

In article >, says...
> Andy wrote:
>
> > Finally bought a multicooker. 12-qt. stockpot with pasta and steamer
> > inserts and glass lid w/vent.
> >
> > $40.00
> >
> > PITA to clean, imho. Oh well, always wanted one for some reason. ;)

> I've never understood that "Black Friday" thing. When I was actively
> selling my food products in farmers' markets, it was always about 10
> times better than my next best day. Black Friday should be reserved
> for disastrous occasions, not the ones that pay the bills. <G>
>
> I always think of it as "Green Friday."

It is an accounting term. Normal entries on balance sheets and other
financial statements are written in black or blue while negative entries
or those showing a loss are written in red.

Retail is in the red for most of the year, their best quarter for
revenue and profit being the fourth quarter where all the holidays are
clustered.

Bob (this one) 27-11-2004 04:02 PM

Tony P. wrote:

> In article >, says...
>
>>Andy wrote:
>>

>>>Finally bought a multicooker. 12-qt. stockpot with pasta and steamer
>>>inserts and glass lid w/vent.
>>>
>>>$40.00
>>>
>>>PITA to clean, imho. Oh well, always wanted one for some reason. ;)

>>I've never understood that "Black Friday" thing. When I was actively
>>selling my food products in farmers' markets, it was always about 10
>>times better than my next best day. Black Friday should be reserved
>>for disastrous occasions, not the ones that pay the bills. <G>
>>
>>I always think of it as "Green Friday."

> It is an accounting term. Normal entries on balance sheets and other
> financial statements are written in black or blue while negative entries
> or those showing a loss are written in red.

I understand the accounting forms. I've run my own businesses since
the 70's.

> Retail is in the red for most of the year, their best quarter for
> revenue and profit being the fourth quarter where all the holidays are
> clustered.

I can't imagine being in a business that operates at a loss for any
significant part of the year. My restaurants were profitable from day
1 and stayed that way. Startup costs amortized across three years.
Everything (costed for materials, equipment and labor) on all menus
was profitable or it wasn't there.

I guess retail wouldn't be the business for me. I'd be nuts having to
count on a month to rescue an otherwise unprofitable year.

Pastorio

Bob (this one) 27-11-2004 04:02 PM

Cindy Fuller 27-11-2004 05:22 PM

In article <3g%pd.105480$5K2.14659@attbi_s03>,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

snip>

> I'm interested in how sales the day after Thanksgiving work in the food
> business. In the wine and cheese shop where I work, the day before
> Thanksgiving was busy. We were swamped. People came in to buy large
> quantities of good cheese and nice bottles of wine to serve on
> Thanksgiving day. If they weren't serving Thanksgiving dinner, they
> still bought both to take with them wherever they were going. The day
> after Thanksgiving was dead. My boss was thinking that it would be a
> good day because the day after Thanksgiving is famous for people going
> out to buy Xmas gifts, and wine makes a nice gift, but instead, we were
> so slow that my co-worker and I cleaned and organized 3 refrigerators.
> (That's something I've been wanting to do for ages and was delighted to
> have the chance. I love putting everything away where *I* think it
> belongs.)

more snip

We went on our weekly shopping trip to Central Market yesterday. What a
nice change from the usual weekend chaos there. No long lines at the
meat counter or the checkout.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Nancy Young 27-11-2004 05:38 PM

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> I went shopping yesterday....I went to 2 stores. Left my house at 6:30,

AM???

> was
> at the mall 10 minutes later. Spent a little more than 2 hours shopping,
> then was off to Kohl's for the rest of my list. The lines at the mall
> department store were not bad at all, maybe 3-4 deep. And the shopping was
> easy, it wasn't all that crowded. I didn't venture out into the mall, I
> just went into the one store I needed and left via the same door I came in.
>
> Kohl's was another story entirely! Crowded....merchandise everywhere,
> lines...you name it. Of course, it was only 9:30 and the store had been open
> for 4 hours!!!!! Still, I was able to complete my list, except for a small
> item for my BIL and something for my friend's parents. I also need a few
> more gift boxes and a couple skeins of yarn to complete some crocheted gifts
> I'm making, so I can probably finish up my list at Walmart.

I give you credit, sounds like you're just about done. Congratulations.

nancy

Steve Calvin 27-11-2004 06:48 PM

Nancy Young wrote:
> Sheryl Rosen wrote:
>

>>I went shopping yesterday....I went to 2 stores. Left my house at 6:30,

> AM???

I don't doubt it. The news showed lines outside some stores that had
to be a quarter of a mile long... at FOUR A-flippin-M! Needless to
say, I wasn't in one!

--
Steve

Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there... I'm gonna
eat the next thing that comes outta it's ass?"

Nancy Young 27-11-2004 06:55 PM

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> >>I went shopping yesterday....I went to 2 stores. Left my house at 6:30,

> > AM???
> >

> I don't doubt it. The news showed lines outside some stores that had
> to be a quarter of a mile long... at FOUR A-flippin-M! Needless to
> say, I wasn't in one!

There is *nothing* I can think of that could induce me to go stand in
line like that. Don't anyone get me wrong, I know they have good
sales and it's often a family tradition, but I am far too lazy to
go to those lengths. I'm just not a shopper. I go at dinnertime
closer to Christmas and it's not bad and everything is marked down.
45 minutes, I'm done. Then, I don't buy for all but one person.

nancy

Nancy Howells 27-11-2004 06:56 PM

In article >, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>
> > Finally bought a multicooker. 12-qt. stockpot with pasta and steamer
> > inserts and glass lid w/vent.
> >
> > $40.00
> >
> > PITA to clean, imho. Oh well, always wanted one for some reason. ;)

> I've never understood that "Black Friday" thing. When I was actively
> selling my food products in farmers' markets, it was always about 10
> times better than my next best day. Black Friday should be reserved
> for disastrous occasions, not the ones that pay the bills. <G>
>
> I always think of it as "Green Friday."
>
> Pastorio

I suspect it might mean the day that a number of businesses go into the
black, rather than the red, but what do I know?

--
Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the ;) to send mail).

Dave Smith 27-11-2004 08:34 PM

Nancy Young wrote:

> There is *nothing* I can think of that could induce me to go stand in
> line like that. Don't anyone get me wrong, I know they have good
> sales and it's often a family tradition, but I am far too lazy to
> go to those lengths. I'm just not a shopper. I go at dinnertime
> closer to Christmas and it's not bad and everything is marked down.
> 45 minutes, I'm done. Then, I don't buy for all but one person.

Damn it. It's the over commercialization of another traditional holiday. I
hate it. It's bad enough that Christmas has been turned into an exercise in
commercial and material indulgence. My whole family used to get together every
year for Christmas Day at my parent's house. and kept it up for a few years
after my father died. Two of my brother's live within 12 miles of my mother's
house and one lives about 200 miles away. He was the only who had a long drive,
so he and his family would stay for a day or two with my parents. That is no
longer possible. She works in retail. She works her butt off for the 2-3 weeks
leading up to Christmas, and then has to stay late on Christmas Eve to get
ready for the Boxing Day sales, which also entail getting there early in the
morning of the 26th. I can understand why she doesn't have the time or energy
to drive 3 hours each way.

It's amazing that so many people will run out on a holiday to scoop up all that
merchandise that is left over from Christmas. If the stores stayed closed for
the extra day to celebrate a special family holiday they could still sell all
that stuff the next day. The only reason they have to open that day is because
others are. It is unfortunate.

Dave Smith 27-11-2004 08:34 PM

skoonj 27-11-2004 09:40 PM

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Andy wrote:
>> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in
>> :

>>> I've never understood that "Black Friday" thing. When I was actively
>>> selling my food products in farmers' markets, it was always about 10
>>> times better than my next best day. Black Friday should be reserved
>>> for disastrous occasions, not the ones that pay the bills. <G>
>>>
>>> I always think of it as "Green Friday."
>>>
>>> Pastorio

>> Pastorio,
>>
>> I imagine it's a financial reference, "being in the black" as opposed
>> to "being in the red".
>>
>> Andy

> Exactly. The day after Thanksgiving in the USA is known for being the
> busiest shopping day of the year, so for retailers it often puts them "in
> the black" financially speaking.
>
> Jill

It isn't really the busiest shopping day of the year, though. Usually
December 23rd is, or the Saturday right before Chirstmas Day.

-T

skoonj 27-11-2004 09:40 PM

. ..

sf 27-11-2004 09:46 PM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 04:41:31 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:

> I've never understood that "Black Friday" thing. When I was actively
> selling my food products in farmers' markets, it was always about 10
> times better than my next best day. Black Friday should be reserved
> for disastrous occasions, not the ones that pay the bills. <G>

I've never heard the term before this year... I would have
thought it referenced some mafia style massacre, union clash
or stock market crash. Do they call it "black" because
stores open before the sun comes up?

The Christmas shopping season used to begin the day after
Thanksgiving, but now it starts in September - so I don't
understand the continuing mindset. Stores had the very same
things on sale the day/week before.

sf

sf 27-11-2004 09:46 PM

sf 27-11-2004 09:48 PM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 04:36:58 -0600, Andy >
wrote:

> I imagine it's a financial reference, "being in the black" as opposed
> to "being in the red".

Black isn't always good if you're talking about the stock
market.

http://mutualfunds.about.com/cs/1929...ck_tuesday.htm

sf

Goomba38 27-11-2004 09:59 PM

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 04:41:31 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
> > wrote:
>

>> I've never understood that "Black Friday" thing. When I was actively
>> selling my food products in farmers' markets, it was always about 10
>> times better than my next best day. Black Friday should be reserved
>> for disastrous occasions, not the ones that pay the bills. <G>

> I've never heard the term before this year... I would have
> thought it referenced some mafia style massacre, union clash
> or stock market crash. Do they call it "black" because
> stores open before the sun comes up?

I just heard why they call it "Black Friday" as it
is the day that should put a stores finances in
the black if it's a good sales day. It didn't make
sense to me before either.
Goomba

sf 27-11-2004 10:02 PM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 07:52:56 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> Management expected huge crowds of people who didn't want to cook. Planned
> a special menu with turkey, dressing, gravy, etc. I was the hostess that
> day and I and the servers just stood around, bored to tears. You can only
> clean tables so many times. The only folks who had any business were the
> bartenders (ha! The guy should have come to work!) and the cocktail
> waitresses. I think a couple of people came in to buy caramel pies on their
> way to someones dinner. And I seem to recall being vaguely thrilled when I
> seated a party of six. That must have been the longest 8 hours of my life.

I've only been to a restaurant once or twice on Thanksgiving
Day. All the restaurants had a booming business and
reservations were necessary.

sf

sf 27-11-2004 10:02 PM

sd 27-11-2004 11:13 PM

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> It's amazing that so many people will run out on a holiday to scoop up all
> that
> merchandise that is left over from Christmas. If the stores stayed closed
> for
> the extra day to celebrate a special family holiday they could still sell all
> that stuff the next day. The only reason they have to open that day is
> because
> others are. It is unfortunate.

And they're open because people will show up to buy. I'm not sure that
people really think it through -- it's certainly not much of a
Thanksgiving for the people who had to show up at Kohl's before 5 to
open the store at 5:30.

It's no different for Memorial Day and President's Day and the other
holidays which have become less about commemoration and more about
denomination (20s and 50s). Would American commerce really grind to a
halt if most stores stayed closed on holidays?

sd

Andy 27-11-2004 11:21 PM

sd > wrote in news:sd55117-B47862.17135227112004
@news.mpls.visi.com:

> It's no different for Memorial Day and President's Day and the other
> holidays which have become less about commemoration and more about
> denomination (20s and 50s). Would American commerce really grind to a
> halt if most stores stayed closed on holidays?
>
> sd

I was secretly hoping America would adopt siesta. That would help the
"extremely long lunch" crowd. ;)

Andy

Tony P. 28-11-2004 12:02 AM

In article >,
says...
> Nancy Young wrote:
>

> > There is *nothing* I can think of that could induce me to go stand in
> > line like that. Don't anyone get me wrong, I know they have good
> > sales and it's often a family tradition, but I am far too lazy to
> > go to those lengths. I'm just not a shopper. I go at dinnertime
> > closer to Christmas and it's not bad and everything is marked down.
> > 45 minutes, I'm done. Then, I don't buy for all but one person.
> >

> Damn it. It's the over commercialization of another traditional holiday. I
> hate it. It's bad enough that Christmas has been turned into an exercise in
> commercial and material indulgence. My whole family used to get together every
> year for Christmas Day at my parent's house. and kept it up for a few years
> after my father died. Two of my brother's live within 12 miles of my mother's
> house and one lives about 200 miles away. He was the only who had a long drive,
> so he and his family would stay for a day or two with my parents. That is no
> longer possible. She works in retail. She works her butt off for the 2-3 weeks
> leading up to Christmas, and then has to stay late on Christmas Eve to get
> ready for the Boxing Day sales, which also entail getting there early in the
> morning of the 26th. I can understand why she doesn't have the time or energy
> to drive 3 hours each way.

Surfing through my RSS feeds this morning I came across an article in
Louisiana where someone had squirted what is more likely epoxy than
super glue into the door locks of a local strip mall.

I think we're going to start seeing the backlash against the crass
consumerism so rampant today.

> It's amazing that so many people will run out on a holiday to scoop up all that
> merchandise that is left over from Christmas. If the stores stayed closed for
> the extra day to celebrate a special family holiday they could still sell all
> that stuff the next day. The only reason they have to open that day is because
> others are. It is unfortunate.

I haven't bought a single thing yet and I set a strict $200 each limit
on gifts the SO and I exchange. I refuse to drop more than $400
combined on any holiday.

Of course I can remember and have the pictures to show the wall of toys
behind me when I was a kid on one Christmas and I know it happened on
others. Thing is, my mom worked at a local retail outlet that gave steep
discounts to employees and so that is how I ended up with that wall. Had
they paid full retail I'd probably have gotten two or three toys.

Tony P. 28-11-2004 12:04 AM

In article >,
says...
> sd > wrote in news:sd55117-B47862.17135227112004
> @news.mpls.visi.com:
>
> > It's no different for Memorial Day and President's Day and the other
> > holidays which have become less about commemoration and more about
> > denomination (20s and 50s). Would American commerce really grind to a
> > halt if most stores stayed closed on holidays?
> >
> > sd

> I was secretly hoping America would adopt siesta. That would help the
> "extremely long lunch" crowd. ;)

That would be an absolute boon but we'll never see it in the U.S. It's
that Protestant work ethic that we inherited from the founders.

We have to keep in mind that the original colonies were set up by
religious nutcases that they couldn't abide in Merry Old England.
Autralia got the criminals, the States got the Jesus freaks.

Wayne Boatwright 28-11-2004 12:07 AM

Tony P. > wrote in
:

> We have to keep in mind that the original colonies were set up by
> religious nutcases that they couldn't abide in Merry Old England.
> Autralia got the criminals, the States got the Jesus freaks.

Amen! <g>

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.