Wayne Boatwright

Tony P. > wrote in
:

> We have to keep in mind that the original colonies were set up by
> religious nutcases that they couldn't abide in Merry Old England.
> Autralia got the criminals, the States got the Jesus freaks.

Amen! <g>

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Ken Davey

PENMART01 wrote:
>> Tony P. says:
>>
>> We have to keep in mind that the original colonies were set up by
>> religious nutcases

> "religious nutcases"... ain't that an oxymoron... ALL those involved
> with religion, any religion, are nutcases.

On that we agree!!
Ken.
--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Dave Smith

"Tony P." wrote:

> That would be an absolute boon but we'll never see it in the U.S. It's
> that Protestant work ethic that we inherited from the founders.
>
> We have to keep in mind that the original colonies were set up by
> religious nutcases that they couldn't abide in Merry Old England.
> Autralia got the criminals, the States got the Jesus freaks.

It has long amazed me that we hear so much of the mythology about the US
being founded by those escaping religious persecution when some of the first
communities were established by religious sects who, rather than escaping
religious persecution, were more interested in establishing single faith
societies where they would be free to persecute. A large number of Europeans
who were escaping from religious persecution were people like the Palatine
Germans who were sent to America and given land by the British Crown.

Dave Smith

Ken Davey wrote:

> The great majority of hospitals were not started by religious people.
> They sprang out of the desire by 'caring' people to help their fellow man.
> Religion was NOT the reason.
> If what you said was really the case history would be replete with horror
> stories of refusal to admit without evidence of religious affiliation. Now
> if you want to talk about racial descrimination this is a good place to
> start.

If you can twist reality around enough I suppose it could be said that a lot
of hospitals were founded by the church. After all, the church had an
incredible amount of influence in days gone by, and few projects were carried
out without its consent. So if we interpret the approval to well meaning
groups to build hospitals we can say that the church was responsible for them
being established.

Dave Smith

Ken Davey wrote:

> The great majority of hospitals were not started by religious people.
> They sprang out of the desire by 'caring' people to help their fellow man.
> Religion was NOT the reason.
> If what you said was really the case history would be replete with horror
> stories of refusal to admit without evidence of religious affiliation. Now
> if you want to talk about racial descrimination this is a good place to
> start.

If you can twist reality around enough I suppose it could be said that a lot
of hospitals were founded by the church. After all, the church had an
incredible amount of influence in days gone by, and few projects were carried
out without its consent. So if we interpret the approval to well meaning
groups to build hospitals we can say that the church was responsible for them
being established.

HiTech RedNeck

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
> > Bob (this one) wrote:
> >
> >> I've never understood that "Black Friday" thing. When I was actively
> >> selling my food products in farmers' markets, it was always about 10
> >> times better than my next best day. Black Friday should be reserved
> >> for disastrous occasions, not the ones that pay the bills. <G>

> > In this case, a "black" day has both one meaning and its opposite. So
> > Black Monday and Black Tuesday were economic disaster days in 1929 at
> > the beginning of the Depression, but the day after Thanksgiving is a
> > black day because sales are normally so good the retailers are back in
> > the black on their balance sheets.
> >

> > I'm interested in how sales the day after Thanksgiving work in the food
> > business.

> Short version: you can go bowling in most restaurants and not hit
> anybody. The only ones that do any appreciable business are the ones
> in the mall food courts and fast food operations near malls and other
> strong shopping areas.
>
> Pastorio

After a kitchen sink drain disaster on Thursday morning, that neither
plunger nor drain auger could fix, made home cooking out of the question (I
didn't really feel like doing dishes in the bathtub), I met with a friend at
an Old Country Buffet. I thought, since it was 2 PM, the business would be
slack. It wasn't; there was a queue clear back to the door because every
table was filled. Fortunately my friend had gotten in earlier and saved a
place in line for me :-)

On Friday I bought a Clog Buster (a torpedo shaped black rubber thing that
goes on the end of a garden hose and is fed down the drain pipe, where it
swells to fill the pipe and then blasts water down the pipe) and that
cleared the clog. Wish I'd had one on Thursday morning....

Derek Lyons

"Ken Davey" > wrote:

>Julian9EHP wrote:
>
>> Then you'd better not get sick -- you might have to go to a hospital.
>> The great majority of hospitals were started by religious people.

>The great majority of hospitals were not started by religious people.
>They sprang out of the desire by 'caring' people to help their fellow man.
>Religion was NOT the reason.
>If what you said was really the case history would be replete with horror
>stories of refusal to admit without evidence of religious affiliation.

Actually what he said *is* in fact the case. A great number of
hospitals (both in the US and abroad) do in fact spring from religious
institutions/foundations.

And in fact, almost none of them were in the habit of turning away
people based on religious affiliation.

>if you want to talk about racial descrimination this is a good place to
>start.

Ignorant bigotry like your is how such discrimination comes to be, and
comes to flourish.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Derek Lyons

"Ken Davey" > wrote:

>Julian9EHP wrote:
>
>> Then you'd better not get sick -- you might have to go to a hospital.
>> The great majority of hospitals were started by religious people.

>The great majority of hospitals were not started by religious people.
>They sprang out of the desire by 'caring' people to help their fellow man.
>Religion was NOT the reason.
>If what you said was really the case history would be replete with horror
>stories of refusal to admit without evidence of religious affiliation.

Actually what he said *is* in fact the case. A great number of
hospitals (both in the US and abroad) do in fact spring from religious
institutions/foundations.

And in fact, almost none of them were in the habit of turning away
people based on religious affiliation.

>if you want to talk about racial descrimination this is a good place to
>start.

Ignorant bigotry like your is how such discrimination comes to be, and
comes to flourish.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Gregory Morrow

Dave Smith wrote:

> Ken Davey wrote:
>
> > The great majority of hospitals were not started by religious people.
> > They sprang out of the desire by 'caring' people to help their fellow

man.
> > Religion was NOT the reason.
> > If what you said was really the case history would be replete with

horror
> > stories of refusal to admit without evidence of religious affiliation.

Now
> > if you want to talk about racial descrimination this is a good place to
> > start.

> If you can twist reality around enough I suppose it could be said that a

lot
> of hospitals were founded by the church. After all, the church had an
> incredible amount of influence in days gone by, and few projects were

carried
> out without its consent. So if we interpret the approval to well meaning
> groups to build hospitals we can say that the church was responsible for

them
> being established.

That's because not so long ago hospitals were places where one went to die,
not to necessarily get well, they were in fact virtual charnel
houses...perhaps this is a factor as to why churches were so active in
setting up hospitals.

A present - day example of such a place would be "Mother" Theresa's (an evil
EVIL old bag and SCUMBAG con artist if there was one) filthy medieval
facilities in India, where people in great pain are denied basic painkillers
(including aspirin) and are told to "pray to the Lord" for
"salvation"...'course when Evil Theresa needed medical care her rich and
shady friends flew her to clinics in Switzerland or wherever via private
jet...google "Missionary Position" and "Christopher Hitchens" to see for
yerselves...

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Goomba38 wrote:

> I just heard why they call it "Black Friday" as it
> is the day that should put a stores finances in
> the black if it's a good sales day. It didn't make
> sense to me before either.
> Goomba

Well this is the first time I've ever heard the term (and I'm 50). It's
just another concept the media cooked up to catch folks' attention...

I don't understand why people would endure mob scenes to buy cheap stuff
that is available elsewhere and at other times...thank G-d for online
shopping and mail order...

I must confess I lucked out at Walgreen's on a "seven hour sale" of those
Hershey's giant candy bars @ two for a dollar, but I was in Wag's to buy
other things, not necessarily the cheapo chocolate...

I stopped at Radio Shaque to buy a mouse pad and there were people there
buying up those $19.95 DVD players (among other assorted junk). I remarked
to one buyer, "You'll be back when that DVD player breaks on ya in a few
weeks' or months' time...".

--
Best
Greg

Tony P.

In article >, penmart01
@aol.como says...
> >Tony P. says:
> >
> >We have to keep in mind that the original colonies were set up by
> >religious nutcases

> "religious nutcases"... ain't that an oxymoron... ALL those involved with
> religion, any religion, are nutcases.

Some much more than others. But yes, it's something along the line of
referring to those who break the law and are caught as stupid criminals.
The 'stupid' is already implied.

Tony P.

In article >, penmart01
@aol.como says...
> >Tony P. says:
> >
> >We have to keep in mind that the original colonies were set up by
> >religious nutcases

> "religious nutcases"... ain't that an oxymoron... ALL those involved with
> religion, any religion, are nutcases.

Some much more than others. But yes, it's something along the line of
referring to those who break the law and are caught as stupid criminals.
The 'stupid' is already implied.

Tony P.

In article >,
says...
> "Tony P." wrote:
>
> > That would be an absolute boon but we'll never see it in the U.S. It's
> > that Protestant work ethic that we inherited from the founders.
> >
> > We have to keep in mind that the original colonies were set up by
> > religious nutcases that they couldn't abide in Merry Old England.
> > Autralia got the criminals, the States got the Jesus freaks.

> It has long amazed me that we hear so much of the mythology about the US
> being founded by those escaping religious persecution when some of the first
> communities were established by religious sects who, rather than escaping
> religious persecution, were more interested in establishing single faith
> societies where they would be free to persecute. A large number of Europeans
> who were escaping from religious persecution were people like the Palatine
> Germans who were sent to America and given land by the British Crown.

That might be colored by where I live. Apparently the religion practiced
by Roger Williams wasn't acceptable those in the Mass Bay colony. There
is a nice little park in the middle of Providence - the Roger Williams
Memorial. It is sited pretty much where his house was.

So he was persecuted and elected to go about 45 miles south and
establish his own state where religious freedom was what it was all
about. That could be a reason that Rhode Island contains the first
Baptist Church, and the first synagogue.

Tony P.

In article >,
says...
> "Tony P." wrote:
>
> > That would be an absolute boon but we'll never see it in the U.S. It's
> > that Protestant work ethic that we inherited from the founders.
> >
> > We have to keep in mind that the original colonies were set up by
> > religious nutcases that they couldn't abide in Merry Old England.
> > Autralia got the criminals, the States got the Jesus freaks.

> It has long amazed me that we hear so much of the mythology about the US
> being founded by those escaping religious persecution when some of the first
> communities were established by religious sects who, rather than escaping
> religious persecution, were more interested in establishing single faith
> societies where they would be free to persecute. A large number of Europeans
> who were escaping from religious persecution were people like the Palatine
> Germans who were sent to America and given land by the British Crown.

That might be colored by where I live. Apparently the religion practiced
by Roger Williams wasn't acceptable those in the Mass Bay colony. There
is a nice little park in the middle of Providence - the Roger Williams
Memorial. It is sited pretty much where his house was.

So he was persecuted and elected to go about 45 miles south and
establish his own state where religious freedom was what it was all
about. That could be a reason that Rhode Island contains the first
Baptist Church, and the first synagogue.

Dave Smith

"Tony P." wrote:

> That might be colored by where I live. Apparently the religion practiced
> by Roger Williams wasn't acceptable those in the Mass Bay colony. There
> is a nice little park in the middle of Providence - the Roger Williams
> Memorial. It is sited pretty much where his house was.

Bear in mind that the Puritans who settled in Mass. were the same denomination who
revolted in England 40 years later because they feared that the king was showing
too much leniency toward Catholics. Once they killed the king and took over they
went after Catholics in a passion, especially in Ireland where they committed
atrocities that Irish Catholics still condemn the English for.

Derek Lyons

Dave Smith > wrote:

>It has long amazed me that we hear so much of the mythology about the US
>being founded by those escaping religious persecution when some of the first
>communities were established by religious sects who, rather than escaping
>religious persecution, were more interested in establishing single faith
>societies where they would be free to persecute.

The problem with this thesis is simple; The US was 'founded' by
several groups, with divergent religious opinions, from divergent
economic backgrounds, and with wildly varying levels of orthodoxy as
compared with the folks Back Home.

Puritan Massachusetts was very different from Anglican Virgina.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Derek Lyons

"Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:
>Goomba38 wrote:
>
>> I just heard why they call it "Black Friday" as it is the day that should
>> put a stores finances in the black if it's a good sales day. It didn't make
>> sense to me before either.

>Well this is the first time I've ever heard the term (and I'm 50). It's
>just another concept the media cooked up to catch folks' attention...

Then you've been hiding in a cellar. It's been a major retail concept
for twenty-thirty years and covered in the media for most of that
time.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Zywicki

Cue one of the best recent Movie Quotes, from Goldmember:

"There are two things in this world I hate; people who are inolerant of
others' cultures, and the Dutch."

Greg Zywicki

Derek Lyons

"Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:

>I'm well aware of the *concept*, but have never heard the *term* -- and I
>consider myself reasonably well - read (and that includes perusing daily the
>_Wall Street Journal_, the _Financial Times_, and the bizness pages of other
>major papers)...

Then why write: "Well this is the first time I've ever heard the term
(and I'm 50). It's just another concept the media cooked up to catch
folks' attention..."

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Levelwave©

PENMART01 wrote:

> "religious nutcases"... ain't that an oxymoron... ALL those involved with
> religion, any religion, are nutcases.

No, that would be more like 'redundant' not an oxymoron.

~john

Don't forget to trade those unwanted gift cards at
http://www.cardavenue.com .

Black Friday breakfast Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 7 24-11-2012 07:16 PM
Black Friday News darensammy General 1 21-05-2011 11:04 AM
Black Friday Ads darensammy General 0 25-04-2011 10:13 PM
Black Friday darensammy General 0 25-04-2011 10:12 PM
Black Olive Pancakes for Black Friday Breakfast Dan L General Cooking 3 28-11-2010 01:46 AM