Wayne Boatwright

sf > wrote in news:nmpvq0t69i4cfqvqk28vm2j0uaskv03pcg@
4ax.com:

> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:46:56 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> It even infuriates me to see the name of particular posters.

> Whoa, you must be a type A personality. TAKE A BREATH!
>

> sf

LOL There are only two of them. Makes me very happy not to never see them in
print. <G> BTW, I probably am type A. Never really analyzed it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

sf > wrote in news:nmpvq0t69i4cfqvqk28vm2j0uaskv03pcg@
4ax.com:

> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:46:56 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> It even infuriates me to see the name of particular posters.

> Whoa, you must be a type A personality. TAKE A BREATH!
>

> sf

LOL There are only two of them. Makes me very happy not to never see them in
print. <G> BTW, I probably am type A. Never really analyzed it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
BOB

(Dan Abel) wrote in news:dabel-0212041315270001@ssu-

>>> It may make no difference to you, Dan, but it does to me. It even
>>> infuriates me to see the name of particular posters. With kill and
>>> score files, I can avoid ever seeing any evidence that they exist in
>>> this or any other newsgroup.
>>>
>>> When I said posters like this should not be overlooked, in the same
>>> breath I realized that as long as the majority of posters accept their
>>> behavior there is no hope of "eliminating" them. Offensive posters
>>> can, in effect, be eliminated from a newsgroup by totally ignoring and
>>> never supporting a word they say. When the offender realizes that no
>>> one will ever respond to their rages and rants, they will usually
>>> disappear on their own. Obviously, this will never happen here.

>>> I wasn't suggesting that you answered Jim incorrectly, but we obviously
>>> have different views on how we would react. If I had a relative who
>>> consistly behaved boorishly, they would no longer be welcome in my home
>>> and I would avoid going where I knew they would be present. It's my
>>> problem if I can't deal with people like that, but it's also my choice
>>> whether or not I have to suffer their presence.
>>>
>>> In this newsgroup there are exactly two posters who reside permanently
>>> in my killfile. It has spared me the aggravation of even seeing their
>>> name.
>>>
>>> If none of this makes sense to you, that's okay. It doesn't have to.
>>> It makes perfect sense to me, and it works.
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>>

>> Who is "Jim" and where did he get into this thread?

> LOL I dunno. That's who Dan said he answered.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> *If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
> *A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

That's exactly why *I* didn't trim a thing. (didn't want to lose attributions)
I think "Dan" neads to read more closely.
Dan's answer seems to be directed to "Mama2EandJ", the OP, but it is in a
response to J.J.'s post (Gal Called J.J.) .
Maybe that's why J.J. had to change *HER* screen name, 'cuz people like "Dan"
still are gender-confused with the "J.J." name.

BOB
thinks people kinda lose credibility when they can't quote properly

Dog3

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> Nexis wrote:

>>>That could be Netscan.
>>>

>> http://netscan.research.microsoft.co...asp?timespan=y
>> &searchfor=rec.food.cooking&searchdate=
>>
>>>Becca

>> Woohoo! I'm on the list! lol
>> Does that mean I'm in the clique??
>>
>> kimberly
>>

> How the heck did I make it to number 5?
>
> Memo to self: Get a life!
>
> Best regards, :-)
> Bob

I'm #6 and do not consider myself a prolific poster, by any stretch. Too
much time on my hands

Michael
PENMART01

Dog3 writes:

>zxcvbob wrote:
>> Nexis wrote:

>>> Woohoo! I'm on the list! lol
>>> Does that mean I'm in the clique??

>> How the heck did I make it to number 5?

>I'm #6 and do not consider myself a prolific poster, by any stretch. Too
>much time on my hands and knees

Ulp. hehe

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

Dog3 writes:

>zxcvbob wrote:
>> Nexis wrote:

>>> Woohoo! I'm on the list! lol
>>> Does that mean I'm in the clique??

>> How the heck did I make it to number 5?

>I'm #6 and do not consider myself a prolific poster, by any stretch. Too
>much time on my hands and knees

Ulp. hehe

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Wayne Boatwright

Dog3 > wrote in
:

> Such is life on Usenet. The kf and score files are very useful. OTOH,
> sometimes the devil surfaces in me, and I like to goad the trolls. I
> know I'm bad. I just can't help myself sometimes. I've tried to be
> good lately and have not stirred the pot too much. I think the biggest
> irritant for me is the crossposted threads unrelated to RFC. The good
> news is, I can kf all crossposted threads. The bad news is, the thread
> name changes and I have to do it all over again.
>
> Michael

I only have 2 posters in my kf that will never expire. I kf all crossposted
threads. My score file eliminates nearly 100% of anonymous remailers,
political, religious, sports, money, porn, sales, adverts, etc. If a topic
escapes my kf and score file, and I think it will be around for a while, I
add it to my kf with an expiration date. I see very few posts I don't want.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Default User

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:21:12 GMT, "Default User"
> > wrote:
>
> > Dan Abel wrote:
> >

> > > I may not have answered Jim correctly. I don't have killfile
> > > capability, so I just ignore certain obnoxious posters.

> > Really? What newsreader do you use?
> >

> Does it matter? He is his own killfile and doesn't need a
> program to do it for him.

Why the hostility? It was a very simple query, on a matter that
suprised me. Almost every newsreader I've used has killfile capability.

> Maybe YOU aren't able to ignore posters without a killfile
> built into your news reader, but he is.

Were did I say anything about that?

Brian
Rick & Cyndi

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> Dog3 > wrote in
> :
>

>> Such is life on Usenet. The kf and score files are very useful. OTOH,
>> sometimes the devil surfaces in me, and I like to goad the trolls. I
>> know I'm bad. I just can't help myself sometimes. I've tried to be
>> good lately and have not stirred the pot too much. I think the biggest
>> irritant for me is the crossposted threads unrelated to RFC. The good
>> news is, I can kf all crossposted threads. The bad news is, the thread
>> name changes and I have to do it all over again.
>>
>> Michael

> I only have 2 posters in my kf that will never expire. I kf all
> crossposted
> threads. My score file eliminates nearly 100% of anonymous remailers,
> political, religious, sports, money, porn, sales, adverts, etc. If a
> topic
> escapes my kf and score file, and I think it will be around for a while, I
> add it to my kf with an expiration date. I see very few posts I don't
> want.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>===========

Hi Wayne!!

Umm, what's a "score file", please?

Cyndi

Rick & Cyndi

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> Dog3 > wrote in
> :
>

>> Such is life on Usenet. The kf and score files are very useful. OTOH,
>> sometimes the devil surfaces in me, and I like to goad the trolls. I
>> know I'm bad. I just can't help myself sometimes. I've tried to be
>> good lately and have not stirred the pot too much. I think the biggest
>> irritant for me is the crossposted threads unrelated to RFC. The good
>> news is, I can kf all crossposted threads. The bad news is, the thread
>> name changes and I have to do it all over again.
>>
>> Michael

> I only have 2 posters in my kf that will never expire. I kf all
> crossposted
> threads. My score file eliminates nearly 100% of anonymous remailers,
> political, religious, sports, money, porn, sales, adverts, etc. If a
> topic
> escapes my kf and score file, and I think it will be around for a while, I
> add it to my kf with an expiration date. I see very few posts I don't
> want.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>===========

Hi Wayne!!

Umm, what's a "score file", please?

Cyndi

Wayne Boatwright

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> Dog3 > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> Such is life on Usenet. The kf and score files are very useful. OTOH,
>>> sometimes the devil surfaces in me, and I like to goad the trolls. I
>>> know I'm bad. I just can't help myself sometimes. I've tried to be
>>> good lately and have not stirred the pot too much. I think the
>>> biggest irritant for me is the crossposted threads unrelated to RFC.
>>> The good news is, I can kf all crossposted threads. The bad news is,
>>> the thread name changes and I have to do it all over again.
>>>
>>> Michael

>> I only have 2 posters in my kf that will never expire. I kf all
>> crossposted threads. My score file eliminates nearly 100% of anonymous
>> remailers, political, religious, sports, money, porn, sales, adverts,
>> etc.
>> If a topic escapes my kf and score file, and I think it will be
>> around
>> for a while, I add it to my kf with an expiration date. I see very few
>> posts I don't want.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne in Phoenix
>>===========

> Hi Wayne!!
>
> Umm, what's a "score file", please?
>
> Cyndi

I use the Xnews newsreader. Xnews and some other newsreaders use "score
files" to perform specified functions on posts. Basically, each article
is assigned a score from -9999 to 9999. By default, an article has score
0 (no score, or neutral). Articles with score of -9999 or less are
killed.

Scoring is applied to content within a header; e.g., Subject, From,
Reference, Lines, etc.

For example, the following dialog in the score file will kill all subjects
containing either "Bin Laden" or "President"

Sco: -9999
Subject: Bin Laden|President

Other scoring numbers can be assigned which you can use for various
functions; e.g., following a specific topic instead of killing it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne Boatwright

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> Dog3 > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> Such is life on Usenet. The kf and score files are very useful. OTOH,
>>> sometimes the devil surfaces in me, and I like to goad the trolls. I
>>> know I'm bad. I just can't help myself sometimes. I've tried to be
>>> good lately and have not stirred the pot too much. I think the
>>> biggest irritant for me is the crossposted threads unrelated to RFC.
>>> The good news is, I can kf all crossposted threads. The bad news is,
>>> the thread name changes and I have to do it all over again.
>>>
>>> Michael

>> I only have 2 posters in my kf that will never expire. I kf all
>> crossposted threads. My score file eliminates nearly 100% of anonymous
>> remailers, political, religious, sports, money, porn, sales, adverts,
>> etc.
>> If a topic escapes my kf and score file, and I think it will be
>> around
>> for a while, I add it to my kf with an expiration date. I see very few
>> posts I don't want.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne in Phoenix
>>===========

> Hi Wayne!!
>
> Umm, what's a "score file", please?
>
> Cyndi

I use the Xnews newsreader. Xnews and some other newsreaders use "score
files" to perform specified functions on posts. Basically, each article
is assigned a score from -9999 to 9999. By default, an article has score
0 (no score, or neutral). Articles with score of -9999 or less are
killed.

Scoring is applied to content within a header; e.g., Subject, From,
Reference, Lines, etc.

For example, the following dialog in the score file will kill all subjects
containing either "Bin Laden" or "President"

Sco: -9999

Other scoring numbers can be assigned which you can use for various
functions; e.g., following a specific topic instead of killing it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Dan Abel

In article >, "Default User"
> wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>

> > I may not have answered Jim correctly. I don't have killfile
> > capability, so I just ignore certain obnoxious posters.

> Really? What newsreader do you use?

Newswatcher version 2.1.3 for the Mac. I like it quite well.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Dan Abel

In article >, " BOB" >
wrote:

> That's exactly why *I* didn't trim a thing. (didn't want to lose

attributions)
> I think "Dan" neads to read more closely.
> Dan's answer seems to be directed to "Mama2EandJ", the OP, but it is in a
> response to J.J.'s post (Gal Called J.J.) .
> Maybe that's why J.J. had to change *HER* screen name, 'cuz people like "Dan"
> still are gender-confused with the "J.J." name.
>
> BOB
> thinks people kinda lose credibility when they can't quote properly

I did a google search, and you are correct. I was in fact responding to
Mama2EandJ, the OP, who is *not* Jim.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Dan Abel

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >, "Default User"
> > wrote:
>
> > Dan Abel wrote:
> >

> > > I may not have answered Jim correctly. I don't have killfile
> > > capability, so I just ignore certain obnoxious posters.

> > Really? What newsreader do you use?

> Newswatcher version 2.1.3 for the Mac. I like it quite well.

Ah, I haven't used a mac in some time, so I'm not familiar with that.

Brian

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >, "Default User"
> > wrote:
>
> > Dan Abel wrote:
> >

> > > I may not have answered Jim correctly. I don't have killfile
> > > capability, so I just ignore certain obnoxious posters.

> > Really? What newsreader do you use?

> Newswatcher version 2.1.3 for the Mac. I like it quite well.

Ah, I haven't used a mac in some time, so I'm not familiar with that.

Brian

Rick & Cyndi

"Wayne Boatwright" & Cyndi" <
<Snip>

>> Hi Wayne!!
>>
>> Umm, what's a "score file", please?
>>
>> Cyndi

> I use the Xnews newsreader. Xnews and some other newsreaders use "score
> files" to perform specified functions on posts. Basically, each article
> is assigned a score from -9999 to 9999. By default, an article has score
> 0 (no score, or neutral). Articles with score of -9999 or less are
> killed.

<snip>

> --
> Wayne in Phoenix

=====================

Thank you!

You explained it beautifully. Now, should I ever get/use Xnews I won't feel
so dumbfounded. LOL

Happy Holidays to you and yours...

Cyndi

Rick & Cyndi

"Wayne Boatwright" & Cyndi" <
<Snip>

>> Hi Wayne!!
>>
>> Umm, what's a "score file", please?
>>
>> Cyndi

> I use the Xnews newsreader. Xnews and some other newsreaders use "score
> files" to perform specified functions on posts. Basically, each article
> is assigned a score from -9999 to 9999. By default, an article has score
> 0 (no score, or neutral). Articles with score of -9999 or less are
> killed.

<snip>

=====================

Thank you!

You explained it beautifully. Now, should I ever get/use Xnews I won't feel
so dumbfounded. LOL

Happy Holidays to you and yours...

Cyndi

Hahabogus

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in

> You explained it beautifully. Now, should I ever get/use Xnews I
> won't feel so dumbfounded. LOL

It is free ...

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Type 2 Diabetic
Hahabogus

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in

> You explained it beautifully. Now, should I ever get/use Xnews I
> won't feel so dumbfounded. LOL

It is free ...

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Type 2 Diabetic
Wayne Boatwright

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in

> "Wayne Boatwright" & Cyndi" <
> <Snip>
>>>
>>> Hi Wayne!!
>>>
>>> Umm, what's a "score file", please?
>>>
>>> Cyndi

>> I use the Xnews newsreader. Xnews and some other newsreaders use
>> "score files" to perform specified functions on posts. Basically, each
>> article is assigned a score from -9999 to 9999. By default, an article
>> has score 0 (no score, or neutral). Articles with score of -9999 or
>> less are killed.

> <snip>
>
>> --
>> Wayne in Phoenix

> =====================
>
> Thank you!
>
> You explained it beautifully. Now, should I ever get/use Xnews I won't
> feel so dumbfounded. LOL
>
> Happy Holidays to you and yours...
>
> Cyndi

You're very welcome, Cyndi.

Hapy Holidays!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in

> "Wayne Boatwright" & Cyndi" <
> <Snip>
>>>
>>> Hi Wayne!!
>>>
>>> Umm, what's a "score file", please?
>>>
>>> Cyndi

>> I use the Xnews newsreader. Xnews and some other newsreaders use
>> "score files" to perform specified functions on posts. Basically, each
>> article is assigned a score from -9999 to 9999. By default, an article
>> has score 0 (no score, or neutral). Articles with score of -9999 or
>> less are killed.

> <snip>
>
>> --
>> Wayne in Phoenix

> =====================
>
> Thank you!
>
> You explained it beautifully. Now, should I ever get/use Xnews I won't
> feel so dumbfounded. LOL
>
> Happy Holidays to you and yours...
>
> Cyndi

You're very welcome, Cyndi.

Hapy Holidays!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
blake murphy

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 04:12:09 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:

>sf > wrote in news:nmpvq0t69i4cfqvqk28vm2j0uaskv03pcg@
>4ax.com:
>
>> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:46:56 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> It even infuriates me to see the name of particular posters.

>> Whoa, you must be a type A personality. TAKE A BREATH!
>>

>> sf

>LOL There are only two of them. Makes me very happy not to never see them in
>print. <G> BTW, I probably am type A. Never really analyzed it.

i'm not type a, but the existence of certain people is just an affront
to sensibility. as a kidhood acquaintance of mine would say, 'not
worth the powder it would take to blow 'em to hell.'

your pal,
blake
Wayne Boatwright

blake murphy > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 04:12:09 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:
>
>>sf > wrote in
>>news:nmpvq0t69i4cfqvqk28vm2j0uaskv03pcg@ 4ax.com:
>>
>>> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:46:56 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>>> Whoa, you must be a type A personality. TAKE A BREATH!
>>>

>>> sf

>>LOL There are only two of them. Makes me very happy not to never see
>>them in print. <G> BTW, I probably am type A. Never really analyzed
>>it.

> i'm not type a, but the existence of certain people is just an affront
> to sensibility. as a kidhood acquaintance of mine would say, 'not
> worth the powder it would take to blow 'em to hell.'
>
> your pal,

I love the way you put that!