FoodBanter.com

-   -   Dishes are done (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/45637-dishes-done.html)

Joelle 26-11-2004 02:14 AM

Dishes are done

This year we ditched the 6 hour drive to the relatives and I made a 11 lb
turkey for my two teenage kids and I and there's just enough leftovers not to
get sick of turkey.

We had cherry stuffing, mashed potatoes, whipped sweet potatoes, acorn squash
my daughter insisted on and then didn't eat because the sweet potatoes were
enough, rasperry orange jello with cranberry sauce, cranberry sauce out of the
can, and homemade cranberry sauce with orange juice and some triple sec- very
good but I'm the only one that ate it and brown and serve rolls. Eggless
pumpkin pie for dessert.

Not only are the dishes done but I just froze four quarts of turkey broth. I'm
ready for SHOPPING at 6 am tomorrow!

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle

Barbtail 26-11-2004 03:23 AM

Mine are being washed as I write *YaY*.

I definitely sent the kids home with more food than we ate *laughs* BUT I got
the carcass from both birds so I can make uber stock! *giggles*

Hope everyone had a wonderful day!

*cheers*

Barb Anne

Louis Cohen 26-11-2004 03:53 AM

The dishwasher is running the 2nd of three loads (14 people + 3 kids). Not
only is today's turkey carcass in the stock pot, I rummaged through the
freezer and found all the backbones of spatchcocked chickens and turkeys for
the last 6 months.

I'm thinking turkey soup and turkey gumbo. And next year, a small turkey
and a leg of lamb instead of a 20 lb'er.

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

Louis Cohen 26-11-2004 03:53 AM

Christine Dabney 26-11-2004 04:54 AM

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:53:16 -0800, "Louis Cohen"
> wrote:

>I'm thinking turkey soup and turkey gumbo. And next year, a small turkey
>and a leg of lamb instead of a 20 lb'er.

Ooooh...turkey gumbo..do you have a recipe in mind, or do you wing it
as you go along? If you have a recipe, can you please post it?

Christine

Christine Dabney 26-11-2004 04:54 AM

Christine Dabney 26-11-2004 04:54 AM

zxcvbob 26-11-2004 05:19 AM

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:53:16 -0800, "Louis Cohen"
> > wrote:
>

>>I'm thinking turkey soup and turkey gumbo. And next year, a small turkey
>>and a leg of lamb instead of a 20 lb'er.

> Ooooh...turkey gumbo..do you have a recipe in mind, or do you wing it
> as you go along? If you have a recipe, can you please post it?
>
> Christine

Here's my favorite. Just substitute leftover dark turkey meat and
whatever boils loose from the carcass for the legs, and use turkey
boilings for the stock, and pick up the recipe at "meanwhile, saute okra..."

Turkey Gumbo

2 large turkey legs
1 large bell pepper, chopped
3 quarts water
2 pounds sliced okra
1/2 C oil
1/2 C flour
2 cloves garlic
1 16-oz (or 22 oz.) can tomatoes
1 to 2 tsp salt (to taste)
1 bay leaf
2 stalks celery 1 tsp each: cayenne, thyme, basil, black pepper
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 yellow onion, chopped

boil or pressure-cook the turkey, water, bouillon cubes until tender.
remove turkey legs from stock and allow to cool. remove meat from
bones, chop, set aside. break the bones and add back to stock (with
skin, gristle, etc.). put on back burner to simmer. meanwhile, sauté
okra in 1/4 oil in a heavy pot until all ropiness is gone (about 1
hour). combine remaining oil and flour in an iron skillet and cook over
medium heat, stirring constantly until flour is chocolate brown. be
careful not to burn it. add onions, celery, garlic and bell pepper to
the roux and sauté until tender. add roux-vegetables mixture to the
okra. add tomatoes, meat, strained turkey stock, bay leaf, cayenne,
black pepper and thyme; simmer, partially covered for half hour. add
basil and salt, simmer another 10 minutes. serve over steamed rice.

zxcvbob 26-11-2004 05:19 AM

zxcvbob 26-11-2004 05:19 AM

Grismalkin 26-11-2004 09:27 AM

> This year we ditched the 6 hour drive to the relatives and I made a 11 lb
>turkey for my two teenage kids and I and there's just enough leftovers not to
>get sick of turkey.
>
>We had cherry stuffing, mashed potatoes, whipped sweet potatoes, acorn squash
>my daughter insisted on and then didn't eat because the sweet potatoes were
>enough, rasperry orange jello with cranberry sauce, cranberry sauce out of
>the
>can, and homemade cranberry sauce with orange juice and some triple sec- very
>good but I'm the only one that ate it and brown and serve rolls. Eggless
>pumpkin pie for dessert.
>
>Not only are the dishes done but I just froze four quarts of turkey broth.
>I'm
>ready for SHOPPING at 6 am tomorrow!
>
>Joelle
>The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
>Augustine
>Joelle
>
>There was turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, Waldorf salad, ham, two different

green bean casseroles, a spinach dish, a broccoli dish, that green dish made
with Cool whip, dressing, walnut pie, an odd but good pumpkin dessert,
cheesecake, a Death by Chocolate sort of cake, Napoleons and what else? I'm
sure I missed something. I'm glad I wore stretch jeans. Nice company,
including the teens.
We got home and I fell asleep after the Apprentice. We brought some leftovers
home but I will still probably brine and cook a turkey breast next week.

Grismalkin 26-11-2004 09:27 AM

Charlotte L. Blackmer 28-11-2004 12:16 AM

In article >,
Barbtail > wrote:
>Mine are being washed as I write *YaY*.

I did end up with doing the dishes as well as cooking, but the dishwasher
did a nice job, even with the antique plates (thats' what the light china
setting is for).

By the time my parents called to say they were home safe at 9 pm, the
second load was in the dishwasher. All the plates fit, which was nice.

Dad had also washed out the roasting pan. Mom has him well trained ;-)

Yesterday I finished all the glassware and boxed everything back up again.
I also made some more mashed potatoes with the three I had left from the
5# sack. I sent the original leftovers home with someone.

>I definitely sent the kids home with more food than we ate *laughs* BUT I got
>the carcass from both birds so I can make uber stock! *giggles*

Time for me to do so.

>Hope everyone had a wonderful day!

Mee Too!

I spent yesterday not doing much, although I did make an attempt to unclog
the sink that got clogged during the party. Which was the only big glitch
that arose.

Otherwise I think it went pretty well for a first-timer. I did have some
help (I didn't do the desserts).

My big tip is to get a potato ricer if you are making mashed potatoes for
a crowd. then you don't have to peel the spuds first. Saves time and
energy.

>*cheers*

I also put the three dead champagne bottles out for recycling ;-).

Charlotte