red leaf

Default Convection microwave - panasonic maybe?

We are considering to buy a microwave and are not sure if we should
spend the extra money on a convection one. Also, we were told that
panasonic is the popular choice. Can someone give us some suggestions
please? Thanks in advance.
Mark Thorson

red leaf wrote:

> We are considering to buy a microwave and are not sure if we
> should spend the extra money on a convection one. Also, we
> were told that panasonic is the popular choice. Can someone
> give us some suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

Sharp has a microwave combined with a toaster oven,
model R-55TS WARM & TOASTY. I bought one,
but haven't used it yet. With rebate, only cost me $100.
Because it's designed to double as a toaster oven,
it appears to be built to withstand higher temperature
in the cooking chamber than a regular microwave oven
(some parts that are plastic on other ovens are metal
in this one). That's what sold me on it.

Steve Calvin

red leaf wrote:

> We are considering to buy a microwave and are not sure if we should
> spend the extra money on a convection one.

My answer to that would be a definate, yes. Assuming that you think
that you'd use it. I use ours all of the time. It's smaller, heats the
kitchen less, cooks faster, etc. Plus it's nice to have a second oven
when needed, holidays are a good example.

> Also, we were told that
> panasonic is the popular choice. Can someone give us some suggestions
> please? Thanks in advance.

I've heard that Sharp makes a decent one. We have the GE Profile
Performance over the stove model and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

--
Steve

Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there... I'm gonna
eat the next thing that comes outta it's ass?"

Steve Calvin

red leaf wrote:

> We are considering to buy a microwave and are not sure if we should
> spend the extra money on a convection one.

My answer to that would be a definate, yes. Assuming that you think
that you'd use it. I use ours all of the time. It's smaller, heats the
kitchen less, cooks faster, etc. Plus it's nice to have a second oven
when needed, holidays are a good example.

> Also, we were told that
> panasonic is the popular choice. Can someone give us some suggestions
> please? Thanks in advance.

I've heard that Sharp makes a decent one. We have the GE Profile
Performance over the stove model and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

--
Steve

Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there... I'm gonna
eat the next thing that comes outta it's ass?"

George Shirley

Steve Calvin wrote:
> red leaf wrote:
>
>> We are considering to buy a microwave and are not sure if we should
>> spend the extra money on a convection one.

> My answer to that would be a definate, yes. Assuming that you think that
> you'd use it. I use ours all of the time. It's smaller, heats the
> kitchen less, cooks faster, etc. Plus it's nice to have a second oven
> when needed, holidays are a good example.
>
>> Also, we were told that
>> panasonic is the popular choice. Can someone give us some suggestions
>> please? Thanks in advance.

> I've heard that Sharp makes a decent one. We have the GE Profile
> Performance over the stove model and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

I have the bigger Sharp Microwave Convection oven and wouldn't be
without it. We bought our first one in 1981 and it finally gave up the
ghost 4 years ago and we bought the new one. Cost around $500 but was
well worth it. Come to think of it the first one cost about $500 too. I
can cook a 12-15 lb turkey in about 2 to 2.5 hours on the combination
cook mode, ie convection and microwave. Nice crispy skin, juicy interior.

I've made pies and cakes in the thing, baked potatoes, all the things
you would use the big oven for and, as Steve says, it doesn't heat up
the whole kitchen.

George

George Shirley

Steve Calvin wrote:
> red leaf wrote:
>
>> We are considering to buy a microwave and are not sure if we should
>> spend the extra money on a convection one.

> My answer to that would be a definate, yes. Assuming that you think that
> you'd use it. I use ours all of the time. It's smaller, heats the
> kitchen less, cooks faster, etc. Plus it's nice to have a second oven
> when needed, holidays are a good example.
>
>> Also, we were told that
>> panasonic is the popular choice. Can someone give us some suggestions
>> please? Thanks in advance.

> I've heard that Sharp makes a decent one. We have the GE Profile
> Performance over the stove model and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

I have the bigger Sharp Microwave Convection oven and wouldn't be
without it. We bought our first one in 1981 and it finally gave up the
ghost 4 years ago and we bought the new one. Cost around $500 but was
well worth it. Come to think of it the first one cost about $500 too. I
can cook a 12-15 lb turkey in about 2 to 2.5 hours on the combination
cook mode, ie convection and microwave. Nice crispy skin, juicy interior.

I've made pies and cakes in the thing, baked potatoes, all the things
you would use the big oven for and, as Steve says, it doesn't heat up
the whole kitchen.

George

JimLane

red leaf wrote:
> We are considering to buy a microwave and are not sure if we should
> spend the extra money on a convection one. Also, we were told that
> panasonic is the popular choice. Can someone give us some suggestions
> please? Thanks in advance.

I have a Panasonic Dimension 4 and love it. Was a gift, so don;t know
how much it cost.

jim
JimLane

red leaf wrote:
> We are considering to buy a microwave and are not sure if we should
> spend the extra money on a convection one. Also, we were told that
> panasonic is the popular choice. Can someone give us some suggestions
> please? Thanks in advance.

I have a Panasonic Dimension 4 and love it. Was a gift, so don;t know
how much it cost.

jim
JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms

George=A0Shirley wrote:
>I have the bigger Sharp Microwave
>Convection oven and wouldn't be without
>it. We bought our first one in 1981 and it
>finally gave up the ghost 4 years ago and
>we bought the new one. Cost around
>$500 but was well worth it....

As I remember, I bought my Sharp Carousel Convection Microwave in 1992
on recommendation by my son's father. It is big enough that I pretty
much use it exclusively. I only need my larger stove oven for the
faster bake of several sheets of cookies, or when what I want to bake or
roast needs to be in a pot/pan too big for the convection's 16.5x16"
interior that is just 10.5" high. Because I live in the desert kitchen
heat from my larger gas oven is of course a big concern for me, but more
so because of the faster baking/roasting speed of the convection, there
is no way I would be without this convection oven/micro combination.

(She who loves the eight months of days averaging 95 degrees with only
10-15% humidity woke up to 35 degrees and ten inches of snow last
Saturday Only the third snow in 25 years here, but 'twas my wee
poochie's first ever, and what a confused one he was!)

Picky ~JA~

JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms

George=A0Shirley wrote:
>I have the bigger Sharp Microwave
>Convection oven and wouldn't be without
>it. We bought our first one in 1981 and it
>finally gave up the ghost 4 years ago and
>we bought the new one. Cost around
>$500 but was well worth it....

As I remember, I bought my Sharp Carousel Convection Microwave in 1992
on recommendation by my son's father. It is big enough that I pretty
much use it exclusively. I only need my larger stove oven for the
faster bake of several sheets of cookies, or when what I want to bake or
roast needs to be in a pot/pan too big for the convection's 16.5x16"
interior that is just 10.5" high. Because I live in the desert kitchen
heat from my larger gas oven is of course a big concern for me, but more
so because of the faster baking/roasting speed of the convection, there
is no way I would be without this convection oven/micro combination.

(She who loves the eight months of days averaging 95 degrees with only
10-15% humidity woke up to 35 degrees and ten inches of snow last
Saturday Only the third snow in 25 years here, but 'twas my wee
poochie's first ever, and what a confused one he was!)

Picky ~JA~

Vox Humana

"red leaf" > wrote in message
om...
> We are considering to buy a microwave and are not sure if we should
> spend the extra money on a convection one. Also, we were told that
> panasonic is the popular choice. Can someone give us some suggestions
> please? Thanks in advance.

I have a Sharp convection microwave. It is the best appliance I have ever
owned.

Vox Humana

"red leaf" > wrote in message
om...
> We are considering to buy a microwave and are not sure if we should
> spend the extra money on a convection one. Also, we were told that
> panasonic is the popular choice. Can someone give us some suggestions
> please? Thanks in advance.

I have a Sharp convection microwave. It is the best appliance I have ever
owned.

Hahabogus

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "red leaf" > wrote in message
> om...
> > We are considering to buy a microwave and are not sure if we
> > should spend the extra money on a convection one. Also, we were
> > told that panasonic is the popular choice. Can someone give us
> > some suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

> I have a Sharp convection microwave. It is the best appliance I
> have ever owned.

I have a Panasonic convection...a big one (large enough for a turkey).
Mostly I use the microwave features and I am happy with that. As I have a
convection oven in my stove, the convection micro-oven is handy only when
cooking for big full family meals like T-Day, Xmas and Easter and it does
a fine job. But I could see it replacing a toaster oven...thereby
allowing a decent 2 or 4 slice toaster back into the house. It has a 2
tier rack allowing easy cooking of more than 1 item (casserole dish) at a
time.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Hahabogus

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "red leaf" > wrote in message
> om...
> > We are considering to buy a microwave and are not sure if we
> > should spend the extra money on a convection one. Also, we were
> > told that panasonic is the popular choice. Can someone give us
> > some suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

> I have a Sharp convection microwave. It is the best appliance I
> have ever owned.

I have a Panasonic convection...a big one (large enough for a turkey).
Mostly I use the microwave features and I am happy with that. As I have a
convection oven in my stove, the convection micro-oven is handy only when
cooking for big full family meals like T-Day, Xmas and Easter and it does
a fine job. But I could see it replacing a toaster oven...thereby
allowing a decent 2 or 4 slice toaster back into the house. It has a 2
tier rack allowing easy cooking of more than 1 item (casserole dish) at a
time.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Vox Humana

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> :
>

> > "red leaf" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > We are considering to buy a microwave and are not sure if we
> > > should spend the extra money on a convection one. Also, we were
> > > told that panasonic is the popular choice. Can someone give us
> > > some suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

> > I have a Sharp convection microwave. It is the best appliance I
> > have ever owned.
> >

> I have a Panasonic convection...a big one (large enough for a turkey).
> Mostly I use the microwave features and I am happy with that. As I have a
> convection oven in my stove, the convection micro-oven is handy only when
> cooking for big full family meals like T-Day, Xmas and Easter and it does
> a fine job. But I could see it replacing a toaster oven...thereby
> allowing a decent 2 or 4 slice toaster back into the house. It has a 2
> tier rack allowing easy cooking of more than 1 item (casserole dish) at a
> time.

I have a convection oven in my range also. Since there are only two of us,
I find myself using the microwave convection oven for most of my baking and
roasting. I make the Thanksgiving turkey in it this year. I bought the
convection/microwave thinking that I would only use the convection feature
now and then, but it has become my primary oven. Unless I need to bake
multiple pies, multiple pans of cookies, or a very large roast, I don't
bother with the big oven. It take about 20 minutes to preheat the oven in
the range but only 5 minutes to preheat the smaller oven. For some job like
baking cakes, I use the mix or combination setting and don't preheat at all.

Vox Humana

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> :
>

> > "red leaf" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > We are considering to buy a microwave and are not sure if we
> > > should spend the extra money on a convection one. Also, we were
> > > told that panasonic is the popular choice. Can someone give us
> > > some suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

> > I have a Sharp convection microwave. It is the best appliance I
> > have ever owned.
> >

> I have a Panasonic convection...a big one (large enough for a turkey).
> Mostly I use the microwave features and I am happy with that. As I have a
> convection oven in my stove, the convection micro-oven is handy only when
> cooking for big full family meals like T-Day, Xmas and Easter and it does
> a fine job. But I could see it replacing a toaster oven...thereby
> allowing a decent 2 or 4 slice toaster back into the house. It has a 2
> tier rack allowing easy cooking of more than 1 item (casserole dish) at a
> time.

I have a convection oven in my range also. Since there are only two of us,
I find myself using the microwave convection oven for most of my baking and
roasting. I make the Thanksgiving turkey in it this year. I bought the
convection/microwave thinking that I would only use the convection feature
now and then, but it has become my primary oven. Unless I need to bake
multiple pies, multiple pans of cookies, or a very large roast, I don't
bother with the big oven. It take about 20 minutes to preheat the oven in
the range but only 5 minutes to preheat the smaller oven. For some job like
baking cakes, I use the mix or combination setting and don't preheat at all.

Hahabogus

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "Hahabogus" > wrote in message
> > "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> > :
> >

> > > "red leaf" > wrote in message
> > > om...
> > >
> > > I have a Sharp convection microwave. It is the best appliance I
> > > have ever owned.
> > >

> > I have a Panasonic convection...a big one (large enough for a
> > turkey). Mostly I use the microwave features and I am happy with
> > that. As I have a convection oven in my stove, the convection
> > micro-oven is handy only when cooking for big full family meals
> > like T-Day, Xmas and Easter and it does a fine job. But I could
> > see it replacing a toaster oven...thereby allowing a decent 2 or 4
> > slice toaster back into the house. It has a 2 tier rack allowing
> > easy cooking of more than 1 item (casserole dish) at a time.

> I have a convection oven in my range also. Since there are only two
> of us, I find myself using the microwave convection oven for most of
> my baking and roasting. I make the Thanksgiving turkey in it this
> year. I bought the convection/microwave thinking that I would only
> use the convection feature now and then, but it has become my
> primary oven. Unless I need to bake multiple pies, multiple pans of
> cookies, or a very large roast, I don't bother with the big oven.
> It take about 20 minutes to preheat the oven in the range but only 5
> minutes to preheat the smaller oven. For some job like baking
> cakes, I use the mix or combination setting and don't preheat at
> all.

There's only me. I do not do much dessert style baking (only the xmas
baked goodies). I find that the microwave stays cleaner and is easier to
clean if I mostly use it for the nuking of the daily veggies, the
reheating of coffee & leftovers & pre-fab meals and the defrosting of
items. The stove's oven is self cleaning so it cooks the majority stuff
that drips and splatters. When I bought the convection featured
microwave, It was for double duty...to replace the toaster oven and
failing older microwave. I think my combo microwave does a fine job.

But my style of cooking has changed, due to the devorice, the onset of
type2 diabetes and getting older & "set in my ways"...I do more big item
roasting on week-ends, and the preparing of meals ahead...like cooking
severals roasts and using that meat plus mixed veggies as measured
freezer pre-fab meals through-out the week. As I can't use the digital
thermometer in the microwave convection oven I prefer to roast in the
stove. And I do less dinner parties and large group cooking excepting for
the prescribed holidays. Seems roasting, broiling, steaming and
rotisserring are my main methods of cooking these days...Oh! don't froget
grilling in the summer.

Because of the Diabetes I'm on a low carb Diet of sorts and the main job
of the toaster oven (baking Potatoes) doesn't exist anymore and the main
job of the microwave (cooking rice) has bit the dust too. Hence the
convection part of the microwave gets less use than I had expected, but
it does a grand job on the stuffing/scallopped potatoes (large casserole
dishes) etc...at a family get together holiday type meals. And the nuker
does more defrost and re-heating than cooking. (I don't buy many grocery
store frozen dinners as my own frozen dinners taste better, are healthier
and meet my diet restrictions).

I do/did cook or convect...the odd chicken in the combo nuker but now
prefer the GF Rostisserrie for birds. Prior to the GF, convection was the
best tasting chicken cooking method IMO. Convection is faster than the
GF...but the extra 20 minutes or so is worth it taste-wise.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.