John Gaughan

Default Rum and Whiskey

About a month or two ago there was a thread about rum, and several
people recommended Appleton as one of the best rums. Today I picked up a
bottle and I definitely agree -- this is the best rum I've ever had. It
definitely has a taste above the more common rums like Bacardi. I wonder
what other rum is out there that my liquor store does not stock...

Since misery loves company, I also picked up a bottle of George Dickel
#12 whiskey. The woman who handles the ordering said people prefer it
over #6 because it is smoother, and I must say it is smooth. It reminds
me of Wild Turkey, but less vile. Now I've tried several different
whiskeys, and Jack Daniels is still at the top of my list. Dickel is
good, though, so thank you to whomever recommended it.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Richard Periut

John Gaughan wrote:

> About a month or two ago there was a thread about rum, and several
> people recommended Appleton as one of the best rums. Today I picked up a
> bottle and I definitely agree -- this is the best rum I've ever had. It
> definitely has a taste above the more common rums like Bacardi. I wonder
> what other rum is out there that my liquor store does not stock...
>
> Since misery loves company, I also picked up a bottle of George Dickel
> #12 whiskey. The woman who handles the ordering said people prefer it
> over #6 because it is smoother, and I must say it is smooth. It reminds
> me of Wild Turkey, but less vile. Now I've tried several different
> whiskeys, and Jack Daniels is still at the top of my list. Dickel is
> good, though, so thank you to whomever recommended it.

Try El Barrilito 3 star from PR, or one of the premium aged Habanos (not
the crap they sell for 5 bucks there.)

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

sf

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:31:50 -0600, John Gaughan
> wrote:

> About a month or two ago there was a thread about rum, and several
> people recommended Appleton as one of the best rums. Today I picked up a
> bottle and I definitely agree -- this is the best rum I've ever had. It
> definitely has a taste above the more common rums like Bacardi. I wonder
> what other rum is out there that my liquor store does not stock...
>
> Since misery loves company, I also picked up a bottle of George Dickel
> #12 whiskey. The woman who handles the ordering said people prefer it
> over #6 because it is smoother, and I must say it is smooth. It reminds
> me of Wild Turkey, but less vile. Now I've tried several different
> whiskeys, and Jack Daniels is still at the top of my list. Dickel is
> good, though, so thank you to whomever recommended it.

Thank you for being a human guniea pig. I certainly
appreaciate your sacrifice, because I'm a cheapskate and I'd
rather let others do my footwork when it involves money.

However, please don't let this revelation stop you from
further testing... there are more rums & whiskeys out there
that need to be tasted and it sounds like you're the man!
Stay the course and keep us posted.

sf
<who isn't joking>

John Gaughan

sf wrote:
> However, please don't let this revelation stop you from further
> testing... there are more rums & whiskeys out there that need to be
> tasted and it sounds like you're the man! Stay the course and keep us
> posted.

As money permits, I will. Alcohol is a much lower priority than
providing for my family, and I don't make a whole lot of money.

But I do love a good whiskey or rum (and others)...

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Frogleg

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:31:50 -0600, John Gaughan
> wrote:

>About a month or two ago there was a thread about rum, and several
>people recommended Appleton as one of the best rums. Today I picked up a
>bottle and I definitely agree -- this is the best rum I've ever had. It
>definitely has a taste above the more common rums like Bacardi. I wonder
>what other rum is out there that my liquor store does not stock...

If you like Appleton, you will probably like Mount ***. If it's
available in Virginia state liquor stores, it must be available
*everywhere*.

zxcvbob

John Gaughan wrote:
> About a month or two ago there was a thread about rum, and several
> people recommended Appleton as one of the best rums. Today I picked up a
> bottle and I definitely agree -- this is the best rum I've ever had. It
> definitely has a taste above the more common rums like Bacardi. I wonder
> what other rum is out there that my liquor store does not stock...
>
> Since misery loves company, I also picked up a bottle of George Dickel
> #12 whiskey. The woman who handles the ordering said people prefer it
> over #6 because it is smoother, and I must say it is smooth. It reminds
> me of Wild Turkey, but less vile. Now I've tried several different
> whiskeys, and Jack Daniels is still at the top of my list. Dickel is
> good, though, so thank you to whomever recommended it.

The best bottle I've bought in the last few years was "Elijah Craig
straight Bourbon whiskey". Twelve years old, 94 proof.

I like to sip it occasionally from a brandy snifter or an old fashioned
glass. I don't add any water or ice.

Best regards,
Bob

In rec.food.cooking, John Gaughan > wrote:

> Now I've tried several different
> whiskeys, and Jack Daniels is still at the top of my list.

You need to try more. Jack is pretty middle-of-the-road. If all they
have at a bar for sour mash is Jack, I drink vodka instead.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

In rec.food.cooking, zxcvbob > wrote:

> The best bottle I've bought in the last few years was "Elijah Craig
> straight Bourbon whiskey". Twelve years old, 94 proof.

Try some Woodford's Reserve. You might like it.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Peter Aitken

> wrote in message
> In rec.food.cooking, John Gaughan > wrote:
>
> > Now I've tried several different
> > whiskeys, and Jack Daniels is still at the top of my list.

> You need to try more. Jack is pretty middle-of-the-road. If all they
> have at a bar for sour mash is Jack, I drink vodka instead.

Think of your budget before investigating top-quality whiskys. Some of the
single barrel bourbons, such as Wild Turkey Rare Breed, are truly marvelous,
but they are not cheap!!

--
Peter Aitken

Robert Klute

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:31:50 -0600, John Gaughan >
wrote:

I am partial to the Cruzan Single barrel rum.

sf

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:32:40 -0600, John Gaughan
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > However, please don't let this revelation stop you from further
> > testing... there are more rums & whiskeys out there that need to be
> > tasted and it sounds like you're the man! Stay the course and keep us
> > posted.

> As money permits, I will. Alcohol is a much lower priority than
> providing for my family, and I don't make a whole lot of money.
>
> But I do love a good whiskey or rum (and others)...

John, I know you will sacrifice for science and the common
cause.

:-)

jmcquown

John Gaughan wrote:
tried several
> different whiskeys, and Jack Daniels is still at the top of my list.
> Dickel is good, though, so thank you to whomever recommended it.

Depends on what you are looking for. In a Canadian whiskey I prefer Crown
Royal. For a nice single-malt Scotch Whiskey there's nothing like Glen
Fiddich

Jill (Scotswoman)

Mark Shaw

In article >,
John Gaughan > wrote:
>About a month or two ago there was a thread about rum, and several
>people recommended Appleton as one of the best rums. Today I picked up a
>bottle and I definitely agree -- this is the best rum I've ever had. It
>definitely has a taste above the more common rums like Bacardi. I wonder
>what other rum is out there that my liquor store does not stock...

Barbancourt. Good stuff! Get the four star if you can.

>Since misery loves company, I also picked up a bottle of George Dickel
>#12 whiskey. The woman who handles the ordering said people prefer it
>over #6 because it is smoother, and I must say it is smooth. It reminds
>me of Wild Turkey, but less vile. Now I've tried several different
>whiskeys, and Jack Daniels is still at the top of my list. Dickel is
>good, though, so thank you to whomever recommended it.

Bourbon, blech! If you want good whisky, drink scotch....

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"[The Blues] is the kind of music that doesn't
John Gaughan

Mark Shaw wrote:
> Bourbon, blech! If you want good whisky, drink scotch....

Last time I drank scotch I got stupid drunk and almost fell off a
balcony. I wound up puking my guts out for hours and hours. Ever since I
cannot even stand the smell of scotch.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Brian Macke

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:10:46 -0600, John Gaughan wrote:

> Mark Shaw wrote:
>> Bourbon, blech! If you want good whisky, drink scotch....

> Last time I drank scotch I got stupid drunk and almost fell off a
> balcony. I wound up puking my guts out for hours and hours. Ever since I
> cannot even stand the smell of scotch.

Both of these sentiments baffle me. Bourbon and Scotch are both whiskeys.
They, along with Canadian, Tennessee, Irish, and Japanese are effectively
the same product... just comes down to technical differences.

Personally I'm a fan of all whiskeys. I'm drinking Scotch right now, but I
had Bourbon last night. I have a great bottle of Japanese whiskey that I
picked up on my last trip and it's a very respectable drink.

People that get sick off of any variety of whiskey make me worry. I'd hate
to cut out any whiskey from my liquor cabinet. Drink them all and enjoy!

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which

Richard Periut

Brian Macke wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:10:46 -0600, John Gaughan wrote:
>

>>Mark Shaw wrote:
>>
>>>Bourbon, blech! If you want good whisky, drink scotch....

>>Last time I drank scotch I got stupid drunk and almost fell off a
>>balcony. I wound up puking my guts out for hours and hours. Ever since I
>>cannot even stand the smell of scotch.

> Both of these sentiments baffle me. Bourbon and Scotch are both whiskeys.
> They, along with Canadian, Tennessee, Irish, and Japanese are effectively
> the same product... just comes down to technical differences.
>
> Personally I'm a fan of all whiskeys. I'm drinking Scotch right now, but I
> had Bourbon last night. I have a great bottle of Japanese whiskey that I
> picked up on my last trip and it's a very respectable drink.
>
> People that get sick off of any variety of whiskey make me worry. I'd hate
> to cut out any whiskey from my liquor cabinet. Drink them all and enjoy!

Exactly! If you are puking after drinking whatever, then obviously you
over did it.

People judge whiskies, spirits, et cetera, without realizing that most
of them have premium products. For instance, taste the difference from a
mixing bourbon with that of premium bourbons (Wild Turkey Rare Breed, or
Booker's True Barrel, Knob Creek worlds apart from the cheap stuff. I
see people mixing these with coke and water and want to cry.

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

Mark Thorson

Richard Periut wrote:

> People judge whiskies, spirits, et cetera, without realizing
> that most of them have premium products. For instance,
> taste the difference from a mixing bourbon with that of
> premium bourbons (Wild Turkey Rare Breed, or Booker's
> True Barrel, Knob Creek worlds apart from the cheap
> stuff. I see people mixing these with coke and water and
> want to cry.

Or for fans of Canadian whisky, Crown Royal Special
Reserve. Costs about twice as much as regular Crown
Royal, and it's worth every penny!

Canadian whiskies are for people who want a reaaally
smooooth drink. Scotch whiskies are harsh by
comparison.

Totally agree about the want to cry part. They should
print a warning on the bottle or something, so newbies
won't waste it that way.

Edwin Pawlowski

Richard Periut wrote:

> People judge whiskies, spirits, et cetera, without realizing that most
> of them have premium products. For instance, taste the difference
> from a mixing bourbon with that of premium bourbons (Wild Turkey Rare
> Breed, or Booker's True Barrel, Knob Creek worlds apart from the
> cheap stuff. I see people mixing these with coke and water and want
> to cry.

When I was young and money was tight, I'd buy the popular brands, not the
real cheap stuff, but the high end was usually out of reach. Certain types
of liquor, to me, where terrible, especially Scotch. I always thought it
was similar to iodine.

After a time I was tempted to buy the premium stuff. It is not an easy
decision to make the first time, when the liquid in the bottle looks exactly
the same and one is $10 and the other is $30. Now all I buy is the premium
and I have all types on the bar. Still not a favorite, but I will drink a
single malt Scotch, but prefer the single barrel bourbons. In summer it is
Bombay Sapphire or Hendricks, etc.

It may look the same, but the smoothness of the premium is well worth the
extra cost for me. At the end of the year, it may add up to $75 for the
amount that I buy.
--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Charles Gifford

"Brian Macke" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:10:46 -0600, John Gaughan wrote:
>
> > Mark Shaw wrote:
> >> Bourbon, blech! If you want good whisky, drink scotch....

> > Last time I drank scotch I got stupid drunk and almost fell off a
> > balcony. I wound up puking my guts out for hours and hours. Ever since I
> > cannot even stand the smell of scotch.

> Both of these sentiments baffle me. Bourbon and Scotch are both whiskeys.

Nay lad. Scotch is whisky.

Charlie

> They, along with Canadian, Tennessee, Irish, and Japanese are effectively
> the same product... just comes down to technical differences.
>
> Personally I'm a fan of all whiskeys. I'm drinking Scotch right now, but I
> had Bourbon last night. I have a great bottle of Japanese whiskey that I
> picked up on my last trip and it's a very respectable drink.
>
> People that get sick off of any variety of whiskey make me worry. I'd hate
> to cut out any whiskey from my liquor cabinet. Drink them all and enjoy!
>
> --
> -Brian James Macke
> "In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that

which
> builds it." -- Unknown

John Gaughan

Richard Periut wrote:
> Exactly! If you are puking after drinking whatever, then obviously
> you over did it.

Well of course I am guilty of that. My problem is not so much the puking
but that afterwards I have a bad taste for it -- I used to love scotch,
now I cannot drink it without cringing because of that experience.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Dave Smith

John Gaughan wrote:

> Well of course I am guilty of that. My problem is not so much the puking
> but that afterwards I have a bad taste for it -- I used to love scotch,
> now I cannot drink it without cringing because of that experience.

I had a similar incident with Southern Comfort. I used to love it but now I
can't stand the smell of it.

Brian Macke

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:00:50 -0600, John Gaughan wrote:

> Well of course I am guilty of that. My problem is not so much the puking
> but that afterwards I have a bad taste for it -- I used to love scotch,
> now I cannot drink it without cringing because of that experience.

I know a lot of people who've lost the taste for certain alcohols as a
result of overconsumption. Lucky for me the only alcohol I can claim to
have lost through this is Grand Mariner and I can still mix with that and
don't have any problems.

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which
builds it." -- Unknown

Dave Smith

Brian Macke wrote:

> e.
>
> I know a lot of people who've lost the taste for certain alcohols as a
> result of overconsumption. Lucky for me the only alcohol I can claim to
> have lost through this is Grand Mariner and I can still mix with that and
> don't have any problems.

I know what you mean. Gran Marnier and Sambucca are tied for the world's worst
hangover precursors. Many years ago when traveling we had quite a bit of travel
money left over so we went down to the hotel bar and had a Gran Marnier, followed
by many more. It was a bad move. The next morning when our plane took off I
thought I was going to die. I didn't lose my taste for the stuff, but I now
limit myself, never having more than one small glass of the stuff at a sitting.
It is still has its magic for me, but I treat it with respect.

My poor wife is suffering a liqueur hangover this morning. We were at by
brother's for dinner last night. She had a few drinks before dinner, wine with
dinner. Then we had some port. I had only one port, but she and my brother had a
few more. Then he brought out some Kalhua and kept filling her glass. I told her
that I did not want to hear her asking "Why did you let me drink so much?" . She
made it to bed, but had to get up a few times to talk to the porcelain phone and
she is still in bed feeling horrible. I wonder how my brother is feeling. He had
to get up early and go to work.

blake murphy

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:06:13 -0600, "Brian Macke"
> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:00:50 -0600, John Gaughan wrote:
>
>> Well of course I am guilty of that. My problem is not so much the puking
>> but that afterwards I have a bad taste for it -- I used to love scotch,
>> now I cannot drink it without cringing because of that experience.

>I know a lot of people who've lost the taste for certain alcohols as a
>result of overconsumption. Lucky for me the only alcohol I can claim to
>have lost through this is Grand Mariner and I can still mix with that and
>don't have any problems.

i think it's a reaction to what the body perceives as 'food
poisoning.' you have a learned aversion to something that made you
sick.

your pal,
blake

Kswck

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:06:13 -0600, "Brian Macke"
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:00:50 -0600, John Gaughan wrote:
> >
> >> Well of course I am guilty of that. My problem is not so much the

puking
> >> but that afterwards I have a bad taste for it -- I used to love scotch,
> >> now I cannot drink it without cringing because of that experience.

Same goes for me and Southern Comfort.

Dave Smith

Kswck wrote:

> puking
> > >

> Same goes for me and Southern Comfort.

We could probably start a club :-)

Chris Webster

> Same goes for me and Southern Comfort.

I fail to see the problem....
Kswck

"Chris Webster" > wrote in message

> > Same goes for me and Southern Comfort.

> I fail to see the problem....

Try drinking WAY TOO MUCH of it one night, and experience the dubious please
of projectile vomiting for distance-then call me.

Chris Webster

>>>Same goes for me and Southern Comfort.

>>I fail to see the problem....

> Try drinking WAY TOO MUCH of it one night, and experience the dubious please
> of projectile vomiting for distance-then call me.

I believe you misunderstood me, I have been in such a scenario. I fail
to see the problem in no longer liking Southern Comfort.....
Kswck

> >>I fail to see the problem....

> > Try drinking WAY TOO MUCH of it one night, and experience the dubious

please
> > of projectile vomiting for distance-then call me.

> I believe you misunderstood me, I have been in such a scenario. I fail
> to see the problem in no longer liking Southern Comfort.....

Sorry-I see.

Dave Smith

Chris Webster wrote:

> >>I fail to see the problem....

> > Try drinking WAY TOO MUCH of it one night, and experience the dubious please
> > of projectile vomiting for distance-then call me.

> I believe you misunderstood me, I have been in such a scenario. I fail
> to see the problem in no longer liking Southern Comfort.....

A three day hangover leaves a hell of an impression.

Orion

John Gaughan wrote:

> >> Well of course I am guilty of that. My problem is not so much the

puking
> >> but that afterwards I have a bad taste for it -- I used to love scotch,
> >> now I cannot drink it without cringing because of that experience.

> >I know a lot of people who've lost the taste for certain alcohols as a
> >result of overconsumption. Lucky for me the only alcohol I can claim to
> >have lost through this is Grand Mariner and I can still mix with that and
> >don't have any problems.

"blake murphy" stated .... >

> i think it's a reaction to what the body perceives as 'food
> poisoning.' you have a learned aversion to something that made you
> sick.
>
> your pal,
> blake

For me it would be Tequilla. Ended up w/a shiner the next day, after
getting into a, sorta, disagreement w/a burly female bouncer. Never
again...........

Suzan

sf

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 15:44:51 -0700, Chris Webster

> >>I fail to see the problem....

> > Try drinking WAY TOO MUCH of it one night, and experience the dubious please
> > of projectile vomiting for distance-then call me.

> I believe you misunderstood me, I have been in such a scenario. I fail
> to see the problem in no longer liking Southern Comfort.....

Which means you've lost a great way to consume antioxidants
- by mixing SC with cranberry juice.

LOL! AFAC: "Scarlet O'Hara" a day keeps the wrinkles away
and I'll stay young by buying American. <wink, hic>

sf

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:41:46 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> A three day hangover leaves a hell of an impression.

Wow! You must have been trying out for the hangover
olympics.

IOW: Anyone who survives alcohol poisioning to that degree,
is lucky to be alive and still talking about it.

Old whiskey Chemo the Clown General Cooking 0 05-02-2010 06:14 PM
Whiskey Weenies deweydecimal Recipes (moderated) 0 21-09-2006 03:13 AM
Whiskey & Plastic [email protected] Baking 7 11-02-2004 06:54 AM