Old 13-02-2004, 03:31 AM
John Gaughan

Default Rum and Whiskey

About a month or two ago there was a thread about rum, and several
people recommended Appleton as one of the best rums. Today I picked up a
bottle and I definitely agree -- this is the best rum I've ever had. It
definitely has a taste above the more common rums like Bacardi. I wonder
what other rum is out there that my liquor store does not stock...

Since misery loves company, I also picked up a bottle of George Dickel
#12 whiskey. The woman who handles the ordering said people prefer it
over #6 because it is smoother, and I must say it is smooth. It reminds
me of Wild Turkey, but less vile. Now I've tried several different
whiskeys, and Jack Daniels is still at the top of my list. Dickel is
good, though, so thank you to whomever recommended it.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

#12 whiskey. The woman who handles the ordering said people prefer it
over #6 because it is smoother, and I must say it is smooth. It reminds
me of Wild Turkey, but less vile. Now I've tried several different
whiskeys, and Jack Daniels is still at the top of my list. Dickel is
good, though, so thank you to whomever recommended it.

Try El Barrilito 3 star from PR, or one of the premium aged Habanos (not
the crap they sell for 5 bucks there.)

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

#12 whiskey. The woman who handles the ordering said people prefer it
over #6 because it is smoother, and I must say it is smooth. It reminds
me of Wild Turkey, but less vile. Now I've tried several different
whiskeys, and Jack Daniels is still at the top of my list. Dickel is
good, though, so thank you to whomever recommended it.

Thank you for being a human guniea pig. I certainly
appreaciate your sacrifice, because I'm a cheapskate and I'd
rather let others do my footwork when it involves money.

However, please don't let this revelation stop you from
further testing... there are more rums & whiskeys out there
that need to be tasted and it sounds like you're the man!
Stay the course and keep us posted.

sf
who isn't joking

Old 13-02-2004, 02:32 PM
John Gaughan

sf wrote:
However, please don't let this revelation stop you from further
testing... there are more rums & whiskeys out there that need to be
tasted and it sounds like you're the man! Stay the course and keep us
posted.

As money permits, I will. Alcohol is a much lower priority than
providing for my family, and I don't make a whole lot of money.

But I do love a good whiskey or rum (and others)...

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Old 13-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

About a month or two ago there was a thread about rum, and several
people recommended Appleton as one of the best rums. Today I picked up a
bottle and I definitely agree -- this is the best rum I've ever had. It
definitely has a taste above the more common rums like Bacardi. I wonder
what other rum is out there that my liquor store does not stock...

If you like Appleton, you will probably like Mount ***. If it's
available in Virginia state liquor stores, it must be available
*everywhere*.

#12 whiskey. The woman who handles the ordering said people prefer it
over #6 because it is smoother, and I must say it is smooth. It reminds
me of Wild Turkey, but less vile. Now I've tried several different
whiskeys, and Jack Daniels is still at the top of my list. Dickel is
good, though, so thank you to whomever recommended it.

The best bottle I've bought in the last few years was "Elijah Craig
straight Bourbon whiskey". Twelve years old, 94 proof.

I like to sip it occasionally from a brandy snifter or an old fashioned
glass. I don't add any water or ice.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 13-02-2004, 06:29 PM
[email protected]

In rec.food.cooking, John Gaughan wrote:

Now I've tried several different
whiskeys, and Jack Daniels is still at the top of my list.

You need to try more. Jack is pretty middle-of-the-road. If all they
have at a bar for sour mash is Jack, I drink vodka instead.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Old 13-02-2004, 06:30 PM
[email protected]

In rec.food.cooking, zxcvbob wrote:

The best bottle I've bought in the last few years was "Elijah Craig
straight Bourbon whiskey". Twelve years old, 94 proof.

Try some Woodford's Reserve. You might like it.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Old 13-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Peter Aitken

wrote in message
In rec.food.cooking, John Gaughan wrote:

Now I've tried several different
whiskeys, and Jack Daniels is still at the top of my list.

You need to try more. Jack is pretty middle-of-the-road. If all they
have at a bar for sour mash is Jack, I drink vodka instead.

Think of your budget before investigating top-quality whiskys. Some of the
single barrel bourbons, such as Wild Turkey Rare Breed, are truly marvelous,
but they are not cheap!!

--
Peter Aitken

Old 13-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Robert Klute

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:31:50 -0600, John Gaughan
wrote:

I am partial to the Cruzan Single barrel rum.

Old 14-02-2004, 05:14 AM
sf

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:32:40 -0600, John Gaughan
wrote:

sf wrote:
However, please don't let this revelation stop you from further
testing... there are more rums & whiskeys out there that need to be
tasted and it sounds like you're the man! Stay the course and keep us
posted.

As money permits, I will. Alcohol is a much lower priority than
providing for my family, and I don't make a whole lot of money.

But I do love a good whiskey or rum (and others)...

John, I know you will sacrifice for science and the common
cause.

:-)

Old 14-02-2004, 05:57 PM
jmcquown

John Gaughan wrote:
tried several
different whiskeys, and Jack Daniels is still at the top of my list.
Dickel is good, though, so thank you to whomever recommended it.

Depends on what you are looking for. In a Canadian whiskey I prefer Crown
Royal. For a nice single-malt Scotch Whiskey there's nothing like Glen
Fiddich

Jill (Scotswoman)

Old 14-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Mark Shaw

In article ,
John Gaughan wrote:
About a month or two ago there was a thread about rum, and several
people recommended Appleton as one of the best rums. Today I picked up a
bottle and I definitely agree -- this is the best rum I've ever had. It
definitely has a taste above the more common rums like Bacardi. I wonder
what other rum is out there that my liquor store does not stock...

Barbancourt. Good stuff! Get the four star if you can.

Since misery loves company, I also picked up a bottle of George Dickel
#12 whiskey. The woman who handles the ordering said people prefer it
over #6 because it is smoother, and I must say it is smooth. It reminds
me of Wild Turkey, but less vile. Now I've tried several different
whiskeys, and Jack Daniels is still at the top of my list. Dickel is
good, though, so thank you to whomever recommended it.

Bourbon, blech! If you want good whisky, drink scotch....

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage -- http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"[The Blues] is the kind of music that doesn't
Old 14-02-2004, 11:10 PM
John Gaughan

Mark Shaw wrote:
Bourbon, blech! If you want good whisky, drink scotch....

Last time I drank scotch I got stupid drunk and almost fell off a
balcony. I wound up puking my guts out for hours and hours. Ever since I
cannot even stand the smell of scotch.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Old 15-02-2004, 01:51 AM
Brian Macke

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:10:46 -0600, John Gaughan wrote:

Mark Shaw wrote:
Bourbon, blech! If you want good whisky, drink scotch....

Last time I drank scotch I got stupid drunk and almost fell off a
balcony. I wound up puking my guts out for hours and hours. Ever since I
cannot even stand the smell of scotch.

Both of these sentiments baffle me. Bourbon and Scotch are both whiskeys.
They, along with Canadian, Tennessee, Irish, and Japanese are effectively
the same product... just comes down to technical differences.

Personally I'm a fan of all whiskeys. I'm drinking Scotch right now, but I
had Bourbon last night. I have a great bottle of Japanese whiskey that I
picked up on my last trip and it's a very respectable drink.

People that get sick off of any variety of whiskey make me worry. I'd hate
to cut out any whiskey from my liquor cabinet. Drink them all and enjoy!

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which

Old whiskey Chemo the Clown General Cooking 0 05-02-2010 05:14 PM
Whiskey Weenies deweydecimal Recipes (moderated) 0 21-09-2006 03:13 AM
Whiskey & Plastic [email protected] Baking 7 11-02-2004 05:54 AM