Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 5:24:08 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-06-15 11:16 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
> > On 15/06/2021 14:43, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >
> >> It's easy enough to temporarily connect your stove to a propane
> >> bottle... it's no big deal to switch between natural gas and propane
> >> and then switch back,

> > Changing the orifice on a gas stove takes time and knowledge. Natural
> > gas and propane require different sizes.
> >

> When they brought a natural gas line down our road we were quick to
> switch over from gas to oil. I wondered why our neighbours held off on
> the switch. They had propane. Aside from the cost of the line to their
> house, they were concerned with the cost of converting everything. They
> have the house and a pole barn with a heated office, so that was two
> furnaces, two water heaters and, being Italian, their dual kitchens with
> gas stoves. They did eventually switch, but there was considerable cost.

My parent's house had gas appliances. I remember watching a repair guy working on the clothes dryer. He said that the jets in the dryer was set up for propane, not natural gas which is what we had. That was nice of him explain that to a pesky kid. He switched out the jet to a bigger one and that dryer was noticeably louder - it sounded like a blowtorch. Clothes dried a lot faster too. Awesome!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 13:26:56 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:

>Hank Rogers wrote:
>
>> GM wrote:
>> > It is*critical* you follow canning safety guidelines (but you surely already know that). I once made a batch of tomatoes that caused several of us (we were at a cookout) to become quite ill, in hindsight we were very lucky that it was not worse...

>> What was the root cause?
>>
>> It's pretty hard to screw up tomatoes, as they are acidic.
>> (pressure canner isn't needed). Boiling water bath works fine.

>I dunno what happened...I used a boiling water bath...
>
>Only sick for a day, but we got severe intestinal upset and jaundice. This happened at the cookout, and also a bit later with another jar, with just myself...
>
>Just found this. other sites also recommend pressure canning, not a hot water bath:
>
>https://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/a...o-can-tomatoes
>
>"...Unlike pickles and most fruit preserves, tomatoes are comparatively low in acidity, and so must be acidified in order to be canned using the standard water-bath method. Foods with a pH higher than 4.6 can harbor botulism bacteria spores; tomatoes are generally right around 4.5, so you're playing with fire if you do not bring the acid level up. Moreover, if you add anything to your tomatoes, such as onions, garlic or basil, you are lowering the acidity further.
>
>Water boils at 212 degrees Farenheit at sea level; this is not sufficient to kill off the botulism spores. By raising the pressure in the cooking environment, you raise the temperature at which water boils. By raising the pressure to 11 pounds, you raise the boiling temperature to about 240 degrees Farenheit, which will kill off the spores.
>
>So, if you intend to do much canning of low-acid foods such as tomatoes, stocks or meats, you may want to invest in a pressure canner. Modern pressure canners are easy and exceedingly safe to use, and you will be able to rest easy knowing that your canned goods are free of toxins..."

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 14:34:19 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:

>Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 21:37:23 -0400, Michael Trew >
>> wrote:

>> wrote: >>> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double
>> recipe of toll >>> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about
>> 9 dozen cookies. In >>> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day,
>> that wasn't my smartest idea.

>> heat >>> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped
>> ham and >>> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge
>> desperately needing >>> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better
>> than snow, however.

>> and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot
>> that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by
>> LOTS of ice - cold beer...

>> > I have grandma's old huge enamel pot with the wire rack in the
>> > bottom. I might pick up some Ball jars and try my hand at canning
>> > this year. I planted a dozen tomato plants, so why not?

>> Depends what type of tomatoes, not all can well. Salad tomatoes (the
>> type most grow) are too watery for canning and sauce. Long simmering
>> to reduce water ends up with brown tomato sauce and a burnt flavor.

>I just freeze them as is in bags. Once you defrost a bit in warm
>water, the skins slip right off.
>
>(snips)
>
>> A large home vegetable garden is a lot of work and expence, we do it
>> for the enjoyment, no monetary savings.

>Actually there can be monetary savings in some things. Lettuce makes a
>good example as do green onions. For green onions, I just get some in
>early spring, use the tops and plant the bottoms and they come back up
>for several years. Generally I can 'crop my own' from late March to
>around Christmas.
>
>Lettuce is another one. 6 weeks from seeding to cropping for most
>types. I've tried Gai Lan (Chinese Broccoli) for the first time and
>had great suscess from a single plant. I keep chopping some off and it
>keeps coming back. Seedling plant was 1.19$ and I've already cropped
>about 4$ worth.
>
>Still, yes, we do it for fun.
>
>Fruit trees are another matter. If you understand proper pollenators
>for your type, those yield a HUGE crop. I'm looking at about 350
>estimated apples this year. Being far north of me, you'd be apt more
>to reds. A Courtland and a Red Delicious would do well. Plant within
>15 feet of each other and let them do their thing.
>
>https://www.acnursery.com/resources/...ts/apple-chart
>
>No real expense other than the tree. Save your eggshells and crush a
>bit then toss on the ground under them. Apple trees are calcium
>hungry. 2 eggshells a day is more than enough though.

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2021 9:43 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> It's easy enough to temporarily connect your stove to a propane
> bottle... it's no big deal to switch between natural gas and propane
> and then switch back.

You're an idiot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 15:07:36 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>GM wrote:
>> It is*critical* you follow canning safety guidelines (but you surely already know that). I once made a batch of tomatoes that caused several of us (we were at a cookout) to become quite ill, in hindsight we were very lucky that it was not worse...

>What was the root cause?
>
>It's pretty hard to screw up tomatoes, as they are acidic.
>(pressure canner isn't needed). Boiling water bath works fine.

Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:54:51 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:

> Michael Trew wrote:

>> > Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer...
>> >
>> > Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...
>> >

>> I have grandma's old huge enamel pot with the wire rack in the bottom.
>> I might pick up some Ball jars and try my hand at canning this year. I
>> planted a dozen tomato plants, so why not?

>I made a lot of stuff for holiday giving. Brandied cherries, pickled okra, chow - chow, and dilly beans were always a HUGE hit, makes a unique gift. I'd use pint jars for the gifts, a recipient would get two or more jars, fancily garnished with a nice ribbon and labelled...peeps would "oooh" and "aaah" when receiving...
>
>Cantaloupe and watermelon pickles are great, and also something "unusual",..
>
>You can also make refrigerator pickles, right now I am using up some fresh and frozen stuff to make corn relish (red/green peppers, celery, red onion, sliced garlic, frozen corn, diced cukes), I always have this on hand...very easy to make...
>
>Wiki: "How do you make refrigerator pickles?
>
>How to Make Refrigerator Pickles: Step 1: Fill clean jar with thinly sliced cucumbers (ideally Kirby). Step 2: Stir brine ingredients together (kosher salt, vinegar and chopped fresh dill) and pour over cucumber slices. Step 3: Close jar lid and shake to distribute brine. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours then enjoy!"
>
>The only "dud" I had was ketchup, tried several times, but the result was always poor, this despite following exact directions...
>
>It is *critical* you follow canning safety guidelines (but you surely already know that). I once made a batch of tomatoes that caused several of us (we were at a cookout) to become quite ill, in hindsight we were very lucky that it was not worse...
>
>Go he
>
>https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/commu...-botulism.html
>
>Home Canning and Botulism
>
>Home canning is an excellent way to preserve garden produce and share it with family and friends, but it can be risky—or even deadly—if not done correctly and safely.
>
>It’s summertime and time to harvest the delicious produce you’ve been growing. You may be thinking about home canning your garden goodies to preserve them. But beware! If home canning is not done the proper way, your canned vegetables and fruits (as well as other foods, including meats and seafood) could cause botulism..."

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 14:43:36 -0500, "cshenk"
> [...]

>> On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 09:51:38 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 21:37:23 -0400, Michael Trew

>> wrote: >>>> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double
>> recipe of toll >>>> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be
>> about 9 dozen cookies. In >>>> a house without A/C on a near 90
>> degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.

>> on heat >>>> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped
>> chopped ham and >>>> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge
>> desperately needing >>>> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better
>> than snow, however.

>> and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot
>> that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by
>> LOTS of ice - cold beer...

>> > Depends what type of tomatoes, not all can well. Salad tomatoes (the
>> > type most grow) are too watery for canning and sauce. Long
>> > simmering to reduce water ends up with brown tomato sauce and a
>> > burnt flavor. I grow a lot of Romas and to preserve I freeze, a
>> > lot safer and saves storage space. I use cubical plastic
>> > containers, stack like bricks. A Foley food mill removes skins,
>> > cores, and seeds. Prepare sauce with minimal cooking and freeze.
>> > It costs a lot less and is far safer to buy ones tomato products by
>> > the case in #10 cans.
>> > A large home vegetable garden is a lot of work and expence, we do it
>> > for the enjoyment, no monetary savings.
>> > We grow a lot of different tomatoes, most are eaten as salad
>> > tomatoes, many are grilled.... at seasons end we fry green tomatoes
>> > and pickle green tomatoes along with Kirby cukes.
>> > Factory canned removes excess water with a huge vacuum tower (silo
>> > sized), same method used for frozen OJ concentrate, and tomato
>> > paste... minimally heated and water vapor vacuumed off... equipment
>> > is too costly for home use.

>> Non-paste tomatoes (regular eating tomatoes) are fine for home canning
>> just as they are. No boiling down needed. For decades I used a quart
>> of home canned tomatoes to make caseroles, chili, sauce for pasta
>> dinner. If you run out of cannng jars you can freeze the tomatoes
>> whole with skins on. When you need tomatoes for cooking simply remove
>> the frozen tomatoes from the freezer, run hot water over them and the
>> skin will slip off. You can also skin and chop them and measure out
>> your most common used size and freeze that way. It's true that the
>> paste tomatoes have less water in them but I wouldn't let that deter
>> me from canning or freezing the tomatoes I have in my garden.
>> Janet US

>LOL, I just posted that bit on freezing as is. Really easy.
>
>Last night we had fried green tomatoes with dinner. We also had yellow
>squash and Gai Lan from the garden with leftover butter baked Perch.
>
>Looks like the bell peppers are doing very well also. Bunnies got my
>carrot tops though. Ah well. Some may work out still.

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 bruce bowser wrote:
>On Sunday, June 13, 2021 Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Most pilot lights can be adjusted for flame height and or individually
turned off... I would leave one pilot light on for convenience and to
save matches... for how much cooking you do you only need one burner.

>> > Oh so now, you choose to go to the stores like a normal person.

>> What's abnormal about canning? I think almost everybody here has canned
>> something, sometime.

I've never bothered with canning, it's easier and a lot safer to use a
freezer. After trimming and cooking the produce from my garden it
shrinks down to less than half the volume. I use rectangular shaped
plastic containers, they stack like bricks and there's very little
wasted freezer space.
Sometimes a neighbor will offer me their home canned food, they
usually leave it by my back door. I thank them and then dump it in
the trash and wash and return their jars... I got sick a few times
from people's home canned food, never again. I don't like to eat
someone elses cooking anyway, especially not after seeing their
kitchen... high end restaurant kitchens typically have closed doors,
fast food joints typically have open kitchens... why do you think that
is?
Anyway there's only two of us, we've no need to stock up on home
canned food. We give away more than half the crop we grow... people
are more likely to eat it fresh picked than if canned/cooked. We have
neighbors who have gardens, they give us fresh picked, we grow
different crops so we trade... I gift certain ladies my mammoth
honeydews, hint-hint. Melons grow well here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 5:25:38 AM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 6/15/2021 3:11 AM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> I'd never want induction. If my cast iron pans don't work, it's a
> >> useless stove to me.

> > Cast iron works great with induction. My guess is that an induction range works faster than gas because you're not heating the pan by conduction. The pan actually acts as a heating element. These days there's no need to use cast iron. Carbon steel pans are lighter and bear a cooking surface uncannily similar to cast iron.

> I like my cast iron pans.
>
> I head that they did not work with induction, but to be fair, I can't
> say that I've ever tested it. There was a pan that did not work with
> induction stoves at all. Was it aluminum? Maybe just my old enamel
> pots (which I do still use)?
>
> Cast iron and any glass top stove are not a good combination. I
> wouldn't want a glass top stove; far too easy to scratch with any pan or
> while cleaning.

Cast iron works well with an induction range. The problem, as you say, is you shouldn't use it on a glass top. Some people will disagree with me but that's just my particular feeling on the matter. It just ain't right. I didn't have any problem with carbon steel pans on the glass top. As it goes, if a pan is not magnetic, it won't work at all. Some pans will work better on an induction range than others. I have a pan that won't get hot enough on the range. That's too bad because it's a beautiful pan. I was seduced by its good looks in the store, but mostly, it was a dud. I think it has something to do with a pan's intrinsic property i.e., its magnetic permeability.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 7:02:47 AM UTC-10, US Janet wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 11:23:37 -0400, Michael Trew >
> wrote:
> >On 6/15/2021 9:43 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >> It's easy enough to temporarily connect your stove to a propane
> >> bottle... it's no big deal to switch between natural gas and propane
> >> and then switch back, Or just cook with a propane grill that has a
> >> side burner. Or in warm weather cook outdoors with a white gas camp
> >> stove, very inexpensive to buy one.

> >My stove was formerly used with propane. I thought one was supposed to
> >change the gas jets when converting. The prior owner instead readjusted
> >all of the gas orifices, to get a proper flame... making it a pain to
> >hook up and adjust.

> Our used truck use to run on propane (utility company vehicle) It has
> been converted back to gas. We just need to get an expensive special
> air filter.
> Janet US

I saw a Toyota Mirai the other day. It runs on gas - hydrogen gas. There used to be two places on this rock where you could fill up your fuel-cell car. Well, that was until one of those places closed down. That's the brakes.
https://www.servco.com/innovation/servco-h2-station/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 14:10:47 -0400, tinfoilhat
> wrote:

>On 6/15/2021 9:43 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> It's easy enough to temporarily connect your stove to a propane
>> bottle... it's no big deal to switch between natural gas and propane
>> and then switch back.
> >

>You're an idiot.

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 11:02:00 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 5:24:08 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>> > Changing the orifice on a gas stove takes time and knowledge. Natural
>> > gas and propane require different sizes.
>> >

>> When they brought a natural gas line down our road we were quick to
>> switch over from gas to oil. I wondered why our neighbours held off on
>> the switch. They had propane. Aside from the cost of the line to their
>> house, they were concerned with the cost of converting everything. They
>> have the house and a pole barn with a heated office, so that was two
>> furnaces, two water heaters and, being Italian, their dual kitchens with
>> gas stoves. They did eventually switch, but there was considerable cost.

>My parent's house had gas appliances. I remember watching a repair guy working on the clothes dryer. He said that the jets in the dryer was set up for propane, not natural gas which is what we had. That was nice of him explain that to a pesky kid. He switched out the jet to a bigger one and that dryer was noticeably louder - it sounded like a blowtorch. Clothes dried a lot faster too. Awesome!

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 16:16:00 +0100, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 15/06/2021 14:43, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> It's easy enough to temporarily connect your stove to a propane
>> bottle... it's no big deal to switch between natural gas and propane
>> and then switch back,

>Changing the orifice on a gas stove takes time and knowledge. Natural
>gas and propane require different sizes.

Very easy, just swap a plastic disk with a different orifice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/06/2021 19:26, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 16:16:00 +0100, S Viemeister
> > wrote:
>
>> On 15/06/2021 14:43, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>>> It's easy enough to temporarily connect your stove to a propane
>>> bottle... it's no big deal to switch between natural gas and propane
>>> and then switch back,

>> Changing the orifice on a gas stove takes time and knowledge. Natural
>> gas and propane require different sizes.

> Very easy, just swap a plastic disk with a different orifice.

Plastic??? Brass. And yes, they are round, but they are more tubular
than disc-like.
Obviously it's not something you have ever done. Nor should you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 10:52:05 -0700, dsi1 wrote:

> I loved rebuilding carburetors - just don't let your check
> balls roll off the table.

You youngster. In my day all the carburator innards were spring-propelled
off into the grass. Or maybe that was my experience at lock-smithing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-15 11:56 a.m., % wrote:
> On 6/15/2021 11:24 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> When they brought a natural gas line down our road we were quick to
>> switch over from gas to oil.
> >

> Huh?

Oops.... we switched from oil to gas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-15 2:02 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 5:24:08 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> My parent's house had gas appliances. I remember watching a repair
> guy working on the clothes dryer. He said that the jets in the dryer
> was set up for propane, not natural gas which is what we had. That
> was nice of him explain that to a pesky kid. He switched out the jet
> to a bigger one and that dryer was noticeably louder - it sounded
> like a blowtorch. Clothes dried a lot faster too. Awesome!

You probably had less lint and clothes etc probably lasted longer. It is
the tumbling that causes the lint to break off from the cloth. When my
brother got a gas dryer he noted that clothes dried a lot faster and
there was a lot less lint.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 8:55:17 AM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 00:05:14 -0700, dsi1 wrote:
>

> > I might be able to produce a flame by heating up a pan until very
> > hot and then dumping alcohol in the pan. Would that work? I can't say.

> Try diethyl ether. Oftimes it is sold as a 'carburator helper' to give a
> bit of boost to help start recalcitrant engines. It has a flash point
> under 100 C, i.e. it will ignite just with contacting live steam.
>
> NB: Do this outdoors & upwind, &c.

And tell your buddy, "Hold my beer."

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 9:20:39 AM UTC-10, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 10:52:05 -0700, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > I loved rebuilding carburetors - just don't let your check
> > balls roll off the table.

> You youngster. In my day all the carburator innards were spring-propelled
> off into the grass. Or maybe that was my experience at lock-smithing.

Yes, I remember now. You old guys had to work on carburetors outside during the day because Edison hadn't invented the light bulb yet. As I recall, "starter fluid" was made from whale blubber. Back then, all you had was cans of WD-2, which was also made from whale blubber. Even whitewall tires were made from whale blubber. I can barely imagine how hard life must have been for you ancient ones!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 10:14:58 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-06-15 2:02 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> > On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 5:24:08 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> > My parent's house had gas appliances. I remember watching a repair
> > guy working on the clothes dryer. He said that the jets in the dryer
> > was set up for propane, not natural gas which is what we had. That
> > was nice of him explain that to a pesky kid. He switched out the jet
> > to a bigger one and that dryer was noticeably louder - it sounded
> > like a blowtorch. Clothes dried a lot faster too. Awesome!
> >

> You probably had less lint and clothes etc probably lasted longer. It is
> the tumbling that causes the lint to break off from the cloth. When my
> brother got a gas dryer he noted that clothes dried a lot faster and
> there was a lot less lint.

Tumbling clothes to get them dry was a great invention - it makes your clothes nice and soft!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 14:15:52 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 bruce bowser wrote:

>Most pilot lights can be adjusted for flame height and or individually
>turned off... I would leave one pilot light on for convenience and to
>save matches... for how much cooking you do you only need one burner.

>>> What's abnormal about canning? I think almost everybody here has canned
>>> something, sometime.

>I've never bothered with canning, it's easier and a lot safer to use a
>freezer. After trimming and cooking the produce from my garden it
>shrinks down to less than half the volume. I use rectangular shaped
>plastic containers, they stack like bricks and there's very little
>wasted freezer space.
>Sometimes a neighbor will offer me their home canned food, they
>usually leave it by my back door. I thank them and then dump it in
>the trash and wash and return their jars... I got sick a few times
>from people's home canned food, never again. I don't like to eat
>someone elses cooking anyway, especially not after seeing their
>kitchen... high end restaurant kitchens typically have closed doors,
>fast food joints typically have open kitchens... why do you think that
>is?
>Anyway there's only two of us, we've no need to stock up on home
>canned food. We give away more than half the crop we grow... people
>are more likely to eat it fresh picked than if canned/cooked. We have
>neighbors who have gardens, they give us fresh picked, we grow
>different crops so we trade... I gift certain ladies my mammoth
>honeydews, hint-hint. Melons grow well here.

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 19:48:59 +0100, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 15/06/2021 19:26, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 16:16:00 +0100, S Viemeister
>> > wrote:

>>> Changing the orifice on a gas stove takes time and knowledge. Natural
>>> gas and propane require different sizes.

>> Very easy, just swap a plastic disk with a different orifice.
>>

>Plastic??? Brass. And yes, they are round, but they are more tubular
>than disc-like.
>Obviously it's not something you have ever done. Nor should you.

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 11:23:17 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 7:02:47 AM UTC-10, US Janet wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 11:23:37 -0400, Michael Trew >
>> wrote:
>> >
>> >My stove was formerly used with propane. I thought one was supposed to
>> >change the gas jets when converting. The prior owner instead readjusted
>> >all of the gas orifices, to get a proper flame... making it a pain to
>> >hook up and adjust.

>> Our used truck use to run on propane (utility company vehicle) It has
>> been converted back to gas. We just need to get an expensive special
>> air filter.
>> Janet US

>I saw a Toyota Mirai the other day. It runs on gas - hydrogen gas. There used to be two places on this rock where you could fill up your fuel-cell car. Well, that was until one of those places closed down. That's the brakes.
>https://www.servco.com/innovation/servco-h2-station/

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 11:16:47 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 5:25:38 AM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:

>> > Cast iron works great with induction. My guess is that an induction range works faster than gas because you're not heating the pan by conduction. The pan actually acts as a heating element. These days there's no need to use cast iron. Carbon steel pans are lighter and bear a cooking surface uncannily similar to cast iron.

>> I like my cast iron pans.
>>
>> I head that they did not work with induction, but to be fair, I can't
>> say that I've ever tested it. There was a pan that did not work with
>> induction stoves at all. Was it aluminum? Maybe just my old enamel
>> pots (which I do still use)?
>>
>> Cast iron and any glass top stove are not a good combination. I
>> wouldn't want a glass top stove; far too easy to scratch with any pan or
>> while cleaning.

>Cast iron works well with an induction range. The problem, as you say, is you shouldn't use it on a glass top. Some people will disagree with me but that's just my particular feeling on the matter. It just ain't right. I didn't have any problem with carbon steel pans on the glass top. As it goes, if a pan is not magnetic, it won't work at all. Some pans will work better on an induction range than others. I have a pan that won't get hot enough on the range. That's too bad because it's a beautiful pan. I was seduced by its good looks in the store, but mostly, it was a dud. I think it has something to do with a pan's intrinsic property i.e., its magnetic permeability.

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 13:22:44 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 8:55:17 AM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 00:05:14 -0700, dsi1 wrote:
>>

>> > I might be able to produce a flame by heating up a pan until very
>> > hot and then dumping alcohol in the pan. Would that work? I can't say.

>> Try diethyl ether. Oftimes it is sold as a 'carburator helper' to give a
>> bit of boost to help start recalcitrant engines. It has a flash point
>> under 100 C, i.e. it will ignite just with contacting live steam.
>>
>> NB: Do this outdoors & upwind, &c.
>>

>And tell your buddy, "Hold my beer."
>>

>--Bryan

Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 13:34:25 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 9:20:39 AM UTC-10, Mike Duffy wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 10:52:05 -0700, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> > I loved rebuilding carburetors - just don't let your check
>> > balls roll off the table.

>> You youngster. In my day all the carburator innards were spring-propelled
>> off into the grass. Or maybe that was my experience at lock-smithing.

>Yes, I remember now. You old guys had to work on carburetors outside during the day because Edison hadn't invented the light bulb yet. As I recall, "starter fluid" was made from whale blubber. Back then, all you had was cans of WD-2, which was also made from whale blubber. Even whitewall tires were made from whale blubber. I can barely imagine how hard life must have been for you ancient ones!

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 13:39:38 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 10:14:58 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-06-15 2:02 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>> > On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 5:24:08 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> > My parent's house had gas appliances. I remember watching a repair
>> > guy working on the clothes dryer. He said that the jets in the dryer
>> > was set up for propane, not natural gas which is what we had. That
>> > was nice of him explain that to a pesky kid. He switched out the jet
>> > to a bigger one and that dryer was noticeably louder - it sounded
>> > like a blowtorch. Clothes dried a lot faster too. Awesome!
>> >

>> You probably had less lint and clothes etc probably lasted longer. It is
>> the tumbling that causes the lint to break off from the cloth. When my
>> brother got a gas dryer he noted that clothes dried a lot faster and
>> there was a lot less lint.

>Tumbling clothes to get them dry was a great invention - it makes your clothes nice and soft!

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 9:20:39 AM UTC-10, Mike Duffy wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 10:52:05 -0700, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> I loved rebuilding carburetors - just don't let your check
>>> balls roll off the table.

>> You youngster. In my day all the carburator innards were spring-propelled
>> off into the grass. Or maybe that was my experience at lock-smithing.

> Yes, I remember now. You old guys had to work on carburetors outside during the day because Edison hadn't invented the light bulb yet. As I recall, "starter fluid" was made from whale blubber. Back then, all you had was cans of WD-2, which was also made from whale blubber. Even whitewall tires were made from whale blubber. I can barely imagine how hard life must have been for you ancient ones!

And God, just think about what they had to use for hearing aides?

Poor Hawaiians! *******s stumbled around looking for a smart Asian
to sell them a chinese hearing aide for $10000.

Still going on today. An Asian shame.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 16:14:53 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-06-15 2:02 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 5:24:08 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>> My parent's house had gas appliances. I remember watching a repair
>> guy working on the clothes dryer. He said that the jets in the dryer
>> was set up for propane, not natural gas which is what we had. That
>> was nice of him explain that to a pesky kid. He switched out the jet
>> to a bigger one and that dryer was noticeably louder - it sounded
>> like a blowtorch. Clothes dried a lot faster too. Awesome!
>>

>You probably had less lint and clothes etc probably lasted longer. It is
>the tumbling that causes the lint to break off from the cloth. When my
>brother got a gas dryer he noted that clothes dried a lot faster and
>there was a lot less lint.

Lint, OMG. All my life I've forgotten to worry about lint. Thanks for
the heads-up!

I'm looking forward to "Lint and I, A Journey", by Dave Smith.

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 6:08:16 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 11:47:06 PM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> > > How many of those house fires are directly related to gas
> > > cooktops?
> > >
> > > How many of them are related to dumbass behaviors like putting
> > > wet food into hot oil and creating a grease fire? How many of
> > > them are electrical fires?
> > >
> > > Your facile and poorly researched comment is worthless.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > I can't tell you the breakdown of fires caused by gas and electric
> > burners. The reality is that you can easily light a combustible
> > material with gas or electric burners. Try it yourself if you think
> > it's unlikely. You can't do that with an induction cooktop. This is
> > just another one of your idiotic gamesmanship ploys. Yoose gets the
> > last move - count me out of your dumb game.

> Ok. Here's my last move.
>
> I have used gas stoves all my life. I've occasionally caused a
> potholder to smolder. Since we've dismantled our kitchen for
> remodeling, I've been using an induction burner. I'm well aware of
> its characteristics.
>
> Fires are less likely with an induction cooktop. The risk with other
> cooktops is small enough that they're not outlawing them. Your fears
> are unfounded and overblown.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I think he just likes what he thinks of as 'modern and shiny'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2021 1:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/14/2021 10:25 AM, Michael Trew wrote:

> >> You need to brush up on the facts. Electricity loss is about 5% in
> >> transmission.
> >> https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=105&t=3
> >> The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates that
> >> electricity transmission and distribution (T&D) losses equaled about 5%
> >> of the electricity transmitted and distributed in the United States in
> >> 2015 through 2019.
> >>

> http://insideenergy.org/2015/11/06/l...and-your-plug/
>

> >> Energy lost in transmission and distribution: About 6% €“ 2% in
> >> transmission and 4% in distribution €“ or 69 trillion Btus in the

> U.S. in
> >> 2013
> >>
> >> In the future, other forms of generation will take over. In our area
> >> solar is viable and I get some of my juice from solar.
> >>
> >> EVs have a long way to go to be ideal, but there are many new
> >> technologies in the works to reduce or eliminate lithium, make faster
> >> charging times, longer distance.
> >>
> >> People thought the automobile was just a fad for the wealthy too. It
> >> will take years but it will be viable.

> > I meant to say distribution losses = 50% -- not transmission losses.
> >

> https://electrical-engineering-porta...ission-lines-1
>

> > I'm sure it will eventually be viable. However, as it sits now, between
> > fossil fuel power plants and environmentally harmful lithium mining, you
> > can't say that you are making the "Green choice" with an electric car.

> Thank you for proving the electric automobile is a better use of energy.
>
> You are probably aghast that 50% of the energy generated is lost. Bad as
> it seem, that is much better than the internal combustion engine.
>
> How efficient is an internal combustion engine?
> 20 percent
> Most internal combustion engines are only 20 percent thermally
> efficient, according to Green Car Reports. In addition to heat, the
> various systems required to run the engine all take energy that could
> potentially be put to use propelling the vehicle.Mar 1, 2018
>
> Toyota has done better, but still not as good as an EV. Don't forget the
> cost of energy to transport gas to the local stations.
> https://www.thedrive.com/tech/18919/...0-liter-engine

I honestly thought that engines were less than 20% efficient. I know
their efficiency is particularly low, but I have yet to see someone do
the math and calculate actual pollution and waste from electric
generation/transmission and from creating the batteries for electric
cars... then compare it to gasoline cars. Of course, that would vary on
your electric utility, but people don't seem to take in that electric
cars aren't as green as they think that they are.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2021 4:14 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-06-15 2:02 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 5:24:08 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>> My parent's house had gas appliances. I remember watching a repair
>> guy working on the clothes dryer. He said that the jets in the dryer
>> was set up for propane, not natural gas which is what we had. That
>> was nice of him explain that to a pesky kid. He switched out the jet
>> to a bigger one and that dryer was noticeably louder - it sounded
>> like a blowtorch. Clothes dried a lot faster too. Awesome!
>>

> You probably had less lint and clothes etc probably lasted longer. It is
> the tumbling that causes the lint to break off from the cloth. When my
> brother got a gas dryer he noted that clothes dried a lot faster and
> there was a lot less lint.

I have an apartment size gas dryer... I've thought about hooking it up
next to my huge ancient 1950's GE electric dryer to compare the two.
I've always wanted a NG dryer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2021 2:16 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 5:25:38 AM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:

>>> Cast iron works great with induction. My guess is that an induction range works faster than gas because you're not heating the pan by conduction. The pan actually acts as a heating element. These days there's no need to use cast iron. Carbon steel pans are lighter and bear a cooking surface uncannily similar to cast iron.

>> I like my cast iron pans.
>>
>> I head that they did not work with induction, but to be fair, I can't
>> say that I've ever tested it. There was a pan that did not work with
>> induction stoves at all. Was it aluminum? Maybe just my old enamel
>> pots (which I do still use)?
>>
>> Cast iron and any glass top stove are not a good combination. I
>> wouldn't want a glass top stove; far too easy to scratch with any pan or
>> while cleaning.

> Cast iron works well with an induction range. The problem, as you say, is you shouldn't use it on a glass top. Some people will disagree with me but that's just my particular feeling on the matter. It just ain't right. I didn't have any problem with carbon steel pans on the glass top. As it goes, if a pan is not magnetic, it won't work at all. Some pans will work better on an induction range than others. I have a pan that won't get hot enough on the range. That's too bad because it's a beautiful pan. I was seduced by its good looks in the store, but mostly, it was a dud. I think it has something to do with a pan's intrinsic property i.e., its magnetic permeability.

Ah, yes. No aluminum pans.