Old 15-06-2021, 09:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking

On 15/06/2021 05:40, Michael Trew wrote:

I'd never want induction.* If my cast iron pans don't work, it's a
useless stove to me.

I use a gas cooktop, but also have a single-burner induction unit. My
cast iron pans work perfectly on the induction burner. I use a disc of
baking parchment or one of those round silicone baking mats, between the
burner and the cast iron, to avoid scratching the surface.

Old 15-06-2021, 10:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 5:27:49 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 10:35:39 PM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 5:32:52 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 9:45:44 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
Michael Trew wrote:

On 6/13/2021 1:26 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe
of toll house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9
dozen cookies. In a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day,
that wasn't my smartest idea.

I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on
heat in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped
ham and provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge
desperately needing defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better
than snow, however.

I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC!
And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my
house!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

Natural gas is dirt cheap around here, I'll keep my stove. I don't
care about the oven, other than the cost, but I hate cooking on an
electric stove top.
Same here but it's all in what you are used to. Gas is far more
flexible than electric or induction.
It's not a good option for homes with kids and for elderly cooks.

Really? Millions of kids have grown up in houses with gas ranges.
Millions of elderly cooks use gas ranges.

I think you're projecting your own fears.

Cindy Hamilton

Around 180,000 house fires start in the kitchen every year. Induction ranges are inherently safer because the cooktops do not heat up. Do the math. You're obviously projecting your own ignorance.

How many of those house fires are directly related to gas cooktops?

How many of them are related to dumbass behaviors like putting wet food
into hot oil and creating a grease fire? How many of them are electrical
fires?

Your facile and poorly researched comment is worthless.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 15-06-2021, 11:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Trew wrote:

[...]

I can't tell you the breakdown of fires caused by gas and electric burners. The reality is that you can easily light a combustible material with gas or electric burners. Try it yourself if you think it's unlikely. You can't do that with an induction cooktop. This is just another one of your idiotic gamesmanship ploys. Yoose gets the last move - count me out of your dumb game.
Old 15-06-2021, 02:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Trew wrote:

[...]

Ok. Here's my last move.

I have used gas stoves all my life. I've occasionally caused a potholder to smolder.
Since we've dismantled our kitchen for remodeling, I've been using an induction burner.
I'm well aware of its characteristics.

Fires are less likely with an induction cooktop. The risk with other cooktops is
small enough that they're not outlawing them. Your fears are unfounded
and overblown.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 15-06-2021, 02:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 12:19:45 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 10:11:36 AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 12:52:31 AM UTC-4, GM wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.

I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.
Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer...

Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

Oh so now, you choose to go to the stores like a normal person.

What's abnormal about canning? I think almost everybody here has canned
something, sometime.

Because - if you don't mind Cindy - because fooling with unboxing, filling and lifting cans takes time away from drinking vodka.

Old 15-06-2021, 02:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Michael Trew wrote:

[...]

Once again, Poi Boi, we have NO choice but to put a LARGE RED "F" beside your name...

--
GM
Old 15-06-2021, 02:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Trew wrote:

[...]

It's easy enough to temporarily connect your stove to a propane
bottle... it's no big deal to switch between natural gas and propane
and then switch back, Or just cook with a propane grill that has a
side burner. Or in warm weather cook outdoors with a white gas camp
stove, very inexpensive to buy one.
Old 15-06-2021, 02:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Trew wrote:

[...]

Why the hell would I want to fool with propane when I already have the
induction burner?

For that matter, I could move my stove outside and hook it up to the
same natural gas line as the gas grill. It was simpler just to break
out the induction burner.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 15-06-2021, 02:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 00:05:14 -0700, dsi1 wrote:

I might be able to produce a flame by heating up a pan until very
hot and then dumping alcohol in the pan. Would that work? I can't say.

Try diethyl ether. Oftimes it is sold as a 'carburator helper' to give a
bit of boost to help start recalcitrant engines. It has a flash point
under 100 C, i.e. it will ignite just with contacting live steam.

NB: Do this outdoors & upwind, &c.
Old 15-06-2021, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/06/2021 14:43, Sheldon Martin wrote:

It's easy enough to temporarily connect your stove to a propane
bottle... it's no big deal to switch between natural gas and propane
and then switch back,

Changing the orifice on a gas stove takes time and knowledge. Natural
gas and propane require different sizes.

Old 15-06-2021, 04:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2021 9:55 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 00:05:14 -0700, dsi1 wrote:

I might be able to produce a flame by heating up a pan until very
hot and then dumping alcohol in the pan. Would that work? I can't say.

Try diethyl ether. Oftimes it is sold as a 'carburator helper' to give a
bit of boost to help start recalcitrant engines. It has a flash point
under 100 C, i.e. it will ignite just with contacting live steam.

NB: Do this outdoors& upwind,&c.

Sounds like a fun science experiment.
Old 15-06-2021, 04:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2021 9:43 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
It's easy enough to temporarily connect your stove to a propane
bottle... it's no big deal to switch between natural gas and propane
and then switch back, Or just cook with a propane grill that has a
side burner. Or in warm weather cook outdoors with a white gas camp
stove, very inexpensive to buy one.

My stove was formerly used with propane. I thought one was supposed to
change the gas jets when converting. The prior owner instead readjusted
all of the gas orifices, to get a proper flame... making it a pain to
hook up and adjust.
Old 15-06-2021, 04:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-15 11:16 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
On 15/06/2021 14:43, Sheldon Martin wrote:

It's easy enough to temporarily connect your stove to a propane
bottle... it's no big deal to switch between natural gas and propane
and then switch back,

Changing the orifice on a gas stove takes time and knowledge. Natural
gas and propane require different sizes.

When they brought a natural gas line down our road we were quick to
switch over from gas to oil. I wondered why our neighbours held off on
the switch. They had propane. Aside from the cost of the line to their
house, they were concerned with the cost of converting everything. They
have the house and a pole barn with a heated office, so that was two
furnaces, two water heaters and, being Italian, their dual kitchens with
gas stoves. They did eventually switch, but there was considerable cost.
Old 15-06-2021, 04:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2021 3:11 AM, dsi1 wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 6:40:50 PM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:
On 6/14/2021 3:45 PM, cshenk wrote:
Michael Trew wrote:

[...]

Cast iron works great with induction. My guess is that an induction range works faster than gas because you're not heating the pan by conduction. The pan actually acts as a heating element. These days there's no need to use cast iron. Carbon steel pans are lighter and bear a cooking surface uncannily similar to cast iron.

I like my cast iron pans.

I head that they did not work with induction, but to be fair, I can't
say that I've ever tested it. There was a pan that did not work with
induction stoves at all. Was it aluminum? Maybe just my old enamel
pots (which I do still use)?

Cast iron and any glass top stove are not a good combination. I
wouldn't want a glass top stove; far too easy to scratch with any pan or
while cleaning.

Old 15-06-2021, 04:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2021 4:56 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
On 15/06/2021 05:40, Michael Trew wrote:

I'd never want induction. If my cast iron pans don't work, it's a
useless stove to me.

I use a gas cooktop, but also have a single-burner induction unit. My
cast iron pans work perfectly on the induction burner. I use a disc of
baking parchment or one of those round silicone baking mats, between the
burner and the cast iron, to avoid scratching the surface.

I suppose that I'm just not used to the technology, but putting
parchment paper on the stove surface is very off putting to me. It
doesn't get too hot?