Old 14-06-2021, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 9:45:44 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
Michael Trew wrote:

On 6/13/2021 1:26 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe
of toll house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9
dozen cookies. In a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day,
that wasn't my smartest idea.

I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on
heat in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped
ham and provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge
desperately needing defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better
than snow, however.

I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC!
And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my
house!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

Natural gas is dirt cheap around here, I'll keep my stove. I don't
care about the oven, other than the cost, but I hate cooking on an
electric stove top.

Same here but it's all in what you are used to. Gas is far more
flexible than electric or induction.

It's not a good option for homes with kids and for elderly cooks. When I was a kid, I used to always singe the hairs on my arms when the gas range would flare-up. I thought that was pretty funny. You can't ever forget that smell. That said, I'll probably move into my parent's house sooner or later and will end up cooking with gas. I'll have to keep my wits about me though.

Old 14-06-2021, 10:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 14:04:28 -0500, "cshenk"
wrote:

Michael Trew wrote:

On 6/13/2021 12:52 AM, GM wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe
of toll house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9
dozen cookies. In a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day,
that wasn't my smartest idea.

I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on
heat in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped
ham and provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge
desperately needing defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better
than snow, however.

Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C,
and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot
that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by
LOTS of ice - cold beer...

Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

I have grandma's old huge enamel pot with the wire rack in the
bottom. I might pick up some Ball jars and try my hand at canning
this year. I planted a dozen tomato plants, so why not?

I've done jellies, jams and pickles at times. Fun to do.

Bruce
Old 14-06-2021, 11:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:28:10 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

people with their roof covered with
solar panels are inviting solar rays.

You're thinking about 'skylight' roof windows, not solar panels.

Old 14-06-2021, 11:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 3:27:00 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:

Just found this. other sites also recommend pressure canning, not a hot water bath:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/a...o-can-tomatoes

"...Unlike pickles and most fruit preserves, tomatoes are comparatively low in acidity, and so must be acidified in order to be canned using the standard water-bath method. Foods with a pH higher than 4.6 can harbor botulism bacteria spores; tomatoes are generally right around 4.5, so you're playing with fire if you do not bring the acid level up. Moreover, if you add anything to your tomatoes, such as onions, garlic or basil, you are lowering the acidity further.

GM

My grandmother did ALL her canning using the water bath method on a wood-
burning stove. Never, ever a bad jar, and no one ever got sick. My mother did
all her canning using a large Burpee pressure canner/cooker on a gas stove.
Old 15-06-2021, 12:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2021 12:29 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies.* In
a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.

(snippage)
Didn't you recently say you have a window AC unit but haven't yet
installed it or do I have you confused with someone else? If you do
have a window AC why wouldn't you already have it in place if it's
nearly 90F outside?

Jill
Old 15-06-2021, 01:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
[...]

It's no better nor worse than other cooking methods for safety.
Old 15-06-2021, 05:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2021 3:45 PM, cshenk wrote:
Michael Trew wrote:

[...]

I'd never want induction. If my cast iron pans don't work, it's a
useless stove to me.
Old 15-06-2021, 05:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2021 7:50 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 6/13/2021 12:29 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of
toll house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen
cookies. In a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't
my smartest idea.

(snippage)
Didn't you recently say you have a window AC unit but haven't yet
installed it or do I have you confused with someone else? If you do have
a window AC why wouldn't you already have it in place if it's nearly 90F
outside?

Jill

I finally just put it in. It's an insanely heavy 1960's solid metal
Gibson unit. I only used it to test it again. Honestly, I didn't want
to put it in due to the sheer weight of the thing. It's easily 150
pounds.

Not that it's any particularly more electric hungry than your next unit
(maybe a bit more so), I just don't like to run it unless I'm positively
miserable. I guess I'm just that cheap. The rest of this week tops out
in the high 70's - which is my favorite weather.

Old 15-06-2021, 08:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
[...]

That wouldn't make any sense to people that have used induction ranges. With a gas stove, I could ignite granny in seconds. With an induction unit, you probably wouldn't be able to figure out how to produce a flame. Making a flame is the one thing that induction ranges really suck at. I might be able to produce a flame by heating up a pan until very hot and then dumping alcohol in the pan. Would that work? I can't say.
Old 15-06-2021, 08:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Trew wrote:

[...]

Cast iron works great with induction. My guess is that an induction range works faster than gas because you're not heating the pan by conduction. The pan actually acts as a heating element. These days there's no need to use cast iron. Carbon steel pans are lighter and bear a cooking surface uncannily similar to cast iron.
Old 15-06-2021, 09:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Trew wrote:

[...]

Really? Millions of kids have grown up in houses with gas ranges.
Millions of elderly cooks use gas ranges.

I think you're projecting your own fears.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 15-06-2021, 09:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 11:28:16 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

Electric powered vehicles save nothing, in fact they waste energy and
pollute heavily from burning coal. Those heavy transmission wires
used to charge EVs cause cancer. I'd not be surprised to learn that
driving an electric vehicle is a carsogenic, as are solar panels...

Little early to be hitting the Crystal Palace, isn't it? Why should
_driving_ an electric vehicle be more carcinogenic than driving
any other vehicle?

any Dermatologist will tell you how exposure to sunlight causes skin
cancer... people with their roof covered with solar panels are
inviting solar rays.

Inviting them where? Into the solar panel?

Electric vehicles have been around for a long time, mostly as delivery
vans in large cities, especially diaper service delivery(Pilgrim). So
now disposables are used, how is that not pollution? The word
'disposable' is synonimous with 'pollution'.

Even lead-acid batteries have a finite life and must be disposed of
afterward.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 15-06-2021, 09:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 01:39:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

[...]

Sheldon talked so much nonsense it's hard to decide where to begin.

--
Bruce