Old 15-06-2021, 07:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 13:20:03 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
wrote:

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 7:34:15 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 08:26:46 -0400, Gary wrote:

I did see a "service dog" in my beach Harris Teeter grocery store about
6 months ago. I talked with the woman for a few minutes too. Nice lady,
nice little furry (fur over eyes) white dog.

Note: it wasn't some official service dog. That's what she was calling
it. lol

I had no problem with the dog in the store but others might have.

I have my reservations about all this support/service animal crap
though. It's just continuing liberal nonsense that we should accept any
weirdo as "normal."

We should accept every "weirdo" and I do. But I do wish the "weirdos"
would stop their attention seeking. Just because 0.001% of the
population don't know if they're a man or a woman is no reason to
change all public toilets to gender neutral.

If there were fully enclosed toileting stalls then the issue would be a
non issue. I even think that there's a good chance that handwashing
habits would improve if the sink area was unisex.

--
Bruce

--Bryan

Bruce

Old 15-06-2021, 07:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 06:12:37 +1000, Dave Smith
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 08:31:31 -0400, Gary wrote:

On 6/14/2021 2:13 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 22:38:59 -0500, "cshenk"
wrote:

heyjoe wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 14:59:55 -0500
in Message-ID:
cshenk wrote :

if it's an actual service animal (not 'support')

I could be wrong, but folks using true service dogs are covered by the
ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) which is Federal law. A store
owner may not refuse to let those animals in the store, unless they
want the full weight of the Feds to come down on them for refusal.

"Support" animals are a different ball game.

Exactly. Support animals have *no* training requirements at all. WE do
have *service* level trained dogs for PTSD you know....

These days, I don't leave the house much anymore. I'm too afraid to
walk into a support animal.

Modern times have gone all to hell. No matter what you do or don't do,
someone will have a problem with it.

Yes, being offended has become a favourite pastime.

Bruce
Old 15-06-2021, 07:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:28:35 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
wrote:

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 7:39:44 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

LOL! That would have been fun to watch!

We know how to have a good ole time in my town!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FikZwgj89HI

Bruce
Old 15-06-2021, 07:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 15:04:32 -0400, Sheldon Martin
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:39:32 -0500, "cshenk"
wrote:

dsi1 wrote:

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 9:55:04 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
Gary wrote:

On 6/12/2021 7:22 PM, cshenk wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:

Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of
people in other states take their obviously non-service dogs
into grocery stores too?

Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets
to make them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some
peek out of purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes
- sometimes 2 or 3 wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can
get past them. And any number of them can be barking,
yapping, or growling at other customers or dogs at any given
time.

Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery
store? Why?

-sw

Never seen it here. Our folks are a bit more saavy on such and
do not allow them in. Randomly though you do hear of emotional
support animals causing problems at the beach. Gary may know if
it's common.

I did see a "service dog" in my beach Harris Teeter grocery store
about 6 months ago. I talked with the woman for a few minutes
too. Nice lady, nice little furry (fur over eyes) white dog.

Note: it wasn't some official service dog. That's what she was
calling it. lol

I had no problem with the dog in the store but others might have.

I have my reservations about all this support/service animal crap
though. It's just continuing liberal nonsense that we should
accept any weirdo as "normal."

IMO, if you can't even go to a store without your pet by your
side, stay home and order everything to be delivered. Even
better...let your pet order the food while you sit nearby in a
chair softly crying over daily stress.
LOL, ok that's 2 at Harris Teeters (your's by the beach) but your's
is a lady and mine is a guy also named Gary with a bonified Service
guide dog. I'm with it on the actual service animal.

The 'support animals' are pretty much bogus due to a lot of abuse
of the system.

I don't mind dogs, they should go wherever they want. Cats OTOH, I
don't care for them much. OTOH, Taiyo helped me catch a large
centipede this morning. He spotted it and I put it in a bucket. I
threw that critter onto the parking lot, in the midst of some
chicken. One chicken grabbed it and went all over the lot keeping it
away from the other chickens. God, I love chickens and dogs.

LOL! That would have been fun to watch!

Since childhood I've seen many seeing eye dogs, people with a white
cane and a harnessed dog, typically a large dog. Normal people know
to give them wide birth. Growing up in NY City there were lots of
seeing eye dogs, in streets, stores, public transportation,
everywhere. Even here in the boonies there are lots of seeing eye
dogs and other service dogs.
I see service dogs every time I go into town. They are low key and
never bothersome, they are well trained and know their job.
Everyone be very thankful that you don't need a service dog. I've
learned that there's really no difference between a service dog and a
farm dog that sees to the herd. I've seen a small sheltie round up 50
black angus and move them field to field to feed. It's really quite
amazing to see these dogs do their job.

Bruce
Old 15-06-2021, 07:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 14:01:01 -0500, "cshenk"
wrote:

US Janet wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 22:27:41 -0500, "cshenk"
wrote:

US Janet wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 14:54:54 -0500, "cshenk"
wrote:

snip

The 'support animals' are pretty much bogus due to a lot of

abuse of the system.

I hope that you aren't voicing that opinion elsewhere. You, and

none of us have the ability to judge the need for a support
animal. PTSD isn't limited to ex-military and the need for a
support animal isn't limited to PTSD. Specialty dogs are trained
for all sorts of needs. I guess we all just need to be kind and
understanding. Janet US

No, too many have abused that 'support animal' now. Sorry, but
while a few are well trained, so many are not and they have been
known to bite people on airplanes who were forced to sit with them.

I am sure that is a big statistic. I will not refuse solace to
someone who needs it,
Janet US

Oh I don't mind them, but if badly behaved, they can be dangerous in
the wrong setting.

What doesn't bother me? A small one in the child seat of a cart.
Harmless and if it comforts the owner, I'm all for it.

Bruce

Old 16-06-2021, 02:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-14 5:24 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 10:12:42 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 08:31:31 -0400, Gary wrote:

These days, I don't leave the house much anymore. I'm too afraid to
walk into a support animal.

Modern times have gone all to hell. No matter what you do or don't do,
someone will have a problem with it.
Yes, being offended has become a favourite pastime.

--
Bruce

It's a problem.

Part of the problem is that they tend to cater to bitchers and whiners

Those are the only ones who get it done.