Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corn Doodle Burgers for dinner 6/8/2021

aka salmon patties made with canned salmon using crushed corn chips
(Fritos) in place of flour, cornmeal, breadcrumbs, or cracker crumbs (oh
dear! no racist remark was intended by the use of the word "cracker"), 2
eggs, onion, garlic, seasonings, etc. It's a recipe my mother got from
a magazine before I was born. I grew up eating them and still enjoy
them a few times a year. Use a fork to mash all the ingredients
together in a large mixing bowl until mixed well, form into [usually]
6-8 patties. I place them on a plate lined with waxed paper and cool
them in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. Cook them in a hot
skillet in a very shallow bit of oil (I use corn oil) until nicely
browned on each side and heated through.

Jill

--
I'm not a racist. Oh wait, am I a racist for mentioning it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 19:13:11 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>aka salmon patties made with canned salmon using crushed corn chips
>(Fritos) in place of flour, cornmeal, breadcrumbs, or cracker crumbs (oh
>dear! no racist remark was intended by the use of the word "cracker"), 2
>eggs, onion, garlic, seasonings, etc. It's a recipe my mother got from
>a magazine before I was born. I grew up eating them and still enjoy
>them a few times a year. Use a fork to mash all the ingredients
>together in a large mixing bowl until mixed well, form into [usually]
>6-8 patties. I place them on a plate lined with waxed paper and cool
>them in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. Cook them in a hot
>skillet in a very shallow bit of oil (I use corn oil) until nicely
>browned on each side and heated through.
>
>Jill

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2021 7:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> or cracker crumbs (oh dear! no racist remark was intended by the use of
> the word "cracker")

Hahaha
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 21:52:29 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/8/2021 9:43 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 6/8/2021 7:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> or cracker crumbs (oh dear! no racist remark was intended by the use of
>>> the word "cracker")

>> Hahaha

>Thank you for the laugh and for not quoting a temporary sig line that
>was very facetious.
>
>If you like salmon patties, the use of crushed corn chips really are
>good as a substitute fpr breadcrumbs, etc. if you don't mind salt.
>
>Jill

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jun 2021 21:43:42 -0400, Michael Trew >
wrote:

>On 6/8/2021 7:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> or cracker crumbs (oh dear! no racist remark was intended by the use of
>> the word "cracker")

>Hahaha

Not Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 8:43:45 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 6/8/2021 7:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> > or cracker crumbs (oh dear! no racist remark was intended by the use of
> > the word "cracker")

> Hahaha

Is the man child sucking up to the princess dowager in hopes of getting
some geriatric action?

There are better ways for her to appreciate her White privilege than
chowing down on White trash "corn doodle."

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 8:52:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On 6/8/2021 9:43 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> > On 6/8/2021 7:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> >> or cracker crumbs (oh dear! no racist remark was intended by the use of
> >> the word "cracker")

> > Hahaha

> Thank you for the laugh and for not quoting a temporary sig line that
> was very facetious.
>
> If you like salmon patties, the use of crushed corn chips really are
> good as a substitute fpr breadcrumbs, etc. if you don't mind salt.

And they make a good turd if the high point of your day is passing
a lunker.

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 17:58:55 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 8:52:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> >

>> > Hahaha

>> Thank you for the laugh and for not quoting a temporary sig line that
>> was very facetious.
>>
>> If you like salmon patties, the use of crushed corn chips really are
>> good as a substitute fpr breadcrumbs, etc. if you don't mind salt.
>>

>And they make a good turd if the high point of your day is passing
>a lunker.
>>
>> Jill
>>

>--Bryan

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 17:54:49 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 8:43:45 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 6/8/2021 7:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> > or cracker crumbs (oh dear! no racist remark was intended by the use of
>> > the word "cracker")

>> Hahaha
>>

>Is the man child sucking up to the princess dowager in hopes of getting
>some geriatric action?
>>

>There are better ways for her to appreciate her White privilege than
>chowing down on White trash "corn doodle."
>>

>--Bryan

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2021 9:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/8/2021 9:43 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 6/8/2021 7:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> or cracker crumbs (oh dear! no racist remark was intended by the use of
>>> the word "cracker")

>> Hahaha

> Thank you for the laugh and for not quoting a temporary sig line that
> was very facetious.
>
> If you like salmon patties, the use of crushed corn chips really are
> good as a substitute fpr breadcrumbs, etc. if you don't mind salt.
>
> Jill

I try to limit quoting that... mocking doesn't seem to do any good.

I haven't had salmon patties in years, but I have a can of pink salmon
in my cabinet that I bought a few months ago. Last time, I'm sure, was
with breadcrumbs, but I might have to try corn chips!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/9/2021 8:54 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 8:43:45 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 6/8/2021 7:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> or cracker crumbs (oh dear! no racist remark was intended by the use of
>>> the word "cracker")

>> Hahaha
>>

> Is the man child sucking up to the princess dowager in hopes of getting
> some geriatric action?
>>

> There are better ways for her to appreciate her White privilege than
> chowing down on White trash "corn doodle."
>>

> --Bryan

If your life is really so meaningless and boring that you have nothing
better to do than taunt people all day on Usenet, I feel badly for you.
I pray that you find happiness... you must be an awfully sad person.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 09:15:27 -0400, Michael Trew >
wrote:

>On 6/8/2021 9:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>

>>> Hahaha

>> Thank you for the laugh and for not quoting a temporary sig line that
>> was very facetious.
>>
>> If you like salmon patties, the use of crushed corn chips really are
>> good as a substitute fpr breadcrumbs, etc. if you don't mind salt.
>>
>> Jill

>I try to limit quoting that... mocking doesn't seem to do any good.
>
>I haven't had salmon patties in years, but I have a can of pink salmon
>in my cabinet that I bought a few months ago. Last time, I'm sure, was
>with breadcrumbs, but I might have to try corn chips!

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/10/2021 9:15 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 6/8/2021 9:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>

>>> Hahaha

>> Thank you for the laugh and for not quoting a temporary sig line that
>> was very facetious.
>>
>> If you like salmon patties, the use of crushed corn chips really are
>> good as a substitute fpr breadcrumbs, etc. if you don't mind salt.
>>
>> Jill

> I try to limit quoting that... mocking doesn't seem to do any good.
>
> I haven't had salmon patties in years, but I have a can of pink salmon
> in my cabinet that I bought a few months ago.Â* Last time, I'm sure, was
> with breadcrumbs, but I might have to try corn chips!

As I stated previously, the recipe came from a "women's magazine" before
I was born so we're talking more than 60 years ago. I happen to like
them made this way very much, but then I don't have a problem with salt
and I like the extra crunch. The original recipe called for adding even
*more* salt. I don't do that. I've changed it up a bit in the ensuing
years. Added the minced garlic, for example. Oh, you can also cook
them in the oven if you prefer. Place them on a lightly oiled baking
sheet, at 350F for about 20 minutes; turn them over after 10 minutes. I
can't guarantee you'll love them but to me the crushed Fritos make a big
difference. And for me it's nostalgic.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Trew wrote:

> On 6/8/2021 9:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> > >

> > > Hahaha

> > Thank you for the laugh and for not quoting a temporary sig line
> > that was very facetious.
> >
> > If you like salmon patties, the use of crushed corn chips really are
> > good as a substitute fpr breadcrumbs, etc. if you don't mind salt.
> >
> > Jill

> I try to limit quoting that... mocking doesn't seem to do any good.
>
> I haven't had salmon patties in years, but I have a can of pink
> salmon in my cabinet that I bought a few months ago. Last time, I'm
> sure, was with breadcrumbs, but I might have to try corn chips!

Here's another use for the can. It's not haute cuizine, but as a
college student it fit the bill and I've made it a few times since.

8oz cooked dry pasta elbows (large or medium), or rotini preferred.
Linguini also works.

1 can Campbells cream of celery soup

1 can salmon (I always removed all bones and such). Mix lightly then
bake covered 35 mins at 350F.

Optional: top with breadcrumbs and/or parmesan cheese (
if so, remove lid last 5 minutes).

I'm sure it can be fancied up but that was my poor college student days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:

>>> Thank you for the laugh and for not quoting a temporary sig line
>>> that was very facetious.
>>>
>>> If you like salmon patties, the use of crushed corn chips really are
>>> good as a substitute fpr breadcrumbs, etc. if you don't mind salt.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I try to limit quoting that... mocking doesn't seem to do any good.
>>
>> I haven't had salmon patties in years, but I have a can of pink
>> salmon in my cabinet that I bought a few months ago. Last time, I'm
>> sure, was with breadcrumbs, but I might have to try corn chips!

> Here's another use for the can. It's not haute cuizine, but as a
> college student it fit the bill and I've made it a few times since.
>
> 8oz cooked dry pasta elbows (large or medium), or rotini preferred.
> Linguini also works.
>
> 1 can Campbells cream of celery soup
>
> 1 can salmon (I always removed all bones and such). Mix lightly then
> bake covered 35 mins at 350F.
>
> Optional: top with breadcrumbs and/or parmesan cheese (
> if so, remove lid last 5 minutes).
>
> I'm sure it can be fancied up but that was my poor college student days.

Reminds me of another recipe called "prison loaf"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 9:02:22 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> cshenk wrote:
> > Michael Trew wrote:

> >> I try to limit quoting that... mocking doesn't seem to do any good.
> >>
> >> I haven't had salmon patties in years, but I have a can of pink
> >> salmon in my cabinet that I bought a few months ago. Last time, I'm
> >> sure, was with breadcrumbs, but I might have to try corn chips!

> > Here's another use for the can. It's not haute cuizine, but as a
> > college student it fit the bill and I've made it a few times since.
> >
> > 8oz cooked dry pasta elbows (large or medium), or rotini preferred.
> > Linguini also works.
> >
> > 1 can Campbells cream of celery soup
> >
> > 1 can salmon (I always removed all bones and such). Mix lightly then
> > bake covered 35 mins at 350F.
> >
> > Optional: top with breadcrumbs and/or parmesan cheese (
> > if so, remove lid last 5 minutes).
> >
> > I'm sure it can be fancied up but that was my poor college student days.
> >

> Reminds me of another recipe called "prison loaf"

*The Joe Arpaio Cookbook*. If you fed that to a POW it would be a
violation of the Geneva Conventions.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 9:14:46 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:

> > > Thank you for the laugh and for not quoting a temporary sig line
> > > that was very facetious.
> > >
> > > If you like salmon patties, the use of crushed corn chips really are
> > > good as a substitute fpr breadcrumbs, etc. if you don't mind salt.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > I try to limit quoting that... mocking doesn't seem to do any good.
> >
> > I haven't had salmon patties in years, but I have a can of pink
> > salmon in my cabinet that I bought a few months ago. Last time, I'm
> > sure, was with breadcrumbs, but I might have to try corn chips!

> Here's another use for the can. It's not haute cuizine, but as a
> college student

There are many kinds of those, I'm sure. Trust me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 09:35:11 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 9:14:46 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
>> Michael Trew wrote:

>> > I try to limit quoting that... mocking doesn't seem to do any good.
>> >
>> > I haven't had salmon patties in years, but I have a can of pink
>> > salmon in my cabinet that I bought a few months ago. Last time, I'm
>> > sure, was with breadcrumbs, but I might have to try corn chips!

>> Here's another use for the can. It's not haute cuizine, but as a
>> college student

>There are many kinds of those, I'm sure. Trust me.

Bruce (not DS)