Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default what causes merengue (sp?) to shrink?

On Sunday, March 31, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Josée Désautels wrote:
> (Shankar Bhattacharyya) wrote:
> >In article >, Jason Paul Chin <jchin> wrote:
> >>Does anyone know what causes merengue to shrink away from the crust when
> >>refridgerated? I have had this happen to me twice but don't know why.

> >Meringue has the air in the bubbles rather effectively trapped. In
> >regular cakes and breads the walls of the "bubbles" are relatively
> >porous, certainly once the product is cooked. In meringues, on tthe
> >other hand, you have a wall that is essentially a continuous film of
> >coagulated egg albumen.
> >So, when a meringue cools, and the air contracts, the bubbles are
> >shrunk by the pressure of the air outside.
> >I suspect that many of the bubbles fracture under these conditions
> >and, of course, they are not completely impermeable to start with, so
> >I suspect the contraction will be quite limited.
> >- Shankar

> I have something that helps: add the sugar at the very last moment.
> Each grain will fill a bubble, and it won't fracture (or less, at
> least.) Of course, you have to do this with a recipe that ask for
> sugar!
> Be sure also, to put your meringue when the bottom have cooled down.
> Josee

I've never heard of Merengue or Méringue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-08 6:30 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
> On Sunday, March 31, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Josée Désautels wrote:
>> (Shankar Bhattacharyya) wrote:
>>> Meringue has the air in the bubbles rather effectively trapped. In
>>> regular cakes and breads the walls of the "bubbles" are relatively
>>> porous, certainly once the product is cooked. In meringues, on tthe
>>> other hand, you have a wall that is essentially a continuous film of
>>> coagulated egg albumen.
>>> So, when a meringue cools, and the air contracts, the bubbles are
>>> shrunk by the pressure of the air outside.
>>> I suspect that many of the bubbles fracture under these conditions
>>> and, of course, they are not completely impermeable to start with, so
>>> I suspect the contraction will be quite limited.
>>> - Shankar

>> I have something that helps: add the sugar at the very last moment.
>> Each grain will fill a bubble, and it won't fracture (or less, at
>> least.) Of course, you have to do this with a recipe that ask for
>> sugar!
>> Be sure also, to put your meringue when the bottom have cooled down.
>> Josee

> I've never heard of Merengue or Méringue.

Have you heard of responding to a post 25 years too late?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2021 6:36 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-06-08 6:30 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:

>> I've never heard of Merengue or Méringue.
>>

> Have you heard of responding to a post 25 years too late?

Obviously not. Gotta wonder why someone who has never heard of meringue
would even care.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 15:30:16 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 31, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Josée Désautels wrote:
>> (Shankar Bhattacharyya) wrote:
>> >Meringue has the air in the bubbles rather effectively trapped. In
>> >regular cakes and breads the walls of the "bubbles" are relatively
>> >porous, certainly once the product is cooked. In meringues, on tthe
>> >other hand, you have a wall that is essentially a continuous film of
>> >coagulated egg albumen.
>> >So, when a meringue cools, and the air contracts, the bubbles are
>> >shrunk by the pressure of the air outside.
>> >I suspect that many of the bubbles fracture under these conditions
>> >and, of course, they are not completely impermeable to start with, so
>> >I suspect the contraction will be quite limited.
>> >- Shankar

>> I have something that helps: add the sugar at the very last moment.
>> Each grain will fill a bubble, and it won't fracture (or less, at
>> least.) Of course, you have to do this with a recipe that ask for
>> sugar!
>> Be sure also, to put your meringue when the bottom have cooled down.
>> Josee

>I've never heard of Merengue or Méringue.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 5:49:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On 6/8/2021 6:36 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> I've never heard of Merengue or Méringue.
> >>

> > Have you heard of responding to a post 25 years too late?

> Obviously not. Gotta wonder why someone who has never heard of meringue
> would even care.

You could killfile him.

> Jill

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 18:36:36 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-06-08 6:30 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
>>> I have something that helps: add the sugar at the very last moment.
>>> Each grain will fill a bubble, and it won't fracture (or less, at
>>> least.) Of course, you have to do this with a recipe that ask for
>>> sugar!
>>> Be sure also, to put your meringue when the bottom have cooled down.
>>> Josee

>> I've never heard of Merengue or Méringue.
>>

>Have you heard of responding to a post 25 years too late?

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 18:49:22 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/8/2021 6:36 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> I've never heard of Merengue or Méringue.
>>>

>> Have you heard of responding to a post 25 years too late?

>Obviously not. Gotta wonder why someone who has never heard of meringue
>would even care.
>
>Jill

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 18:36:36 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-06-08 6:30 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
>>> I have something that helps: add the sugar at the very last moment.
>>> Each grain will fill a bubble, and it won't fracture (or less, at
>>> least.) Of course, you have to do this with a recipe that ask for
>>> sugar!
>>> Be sure also, to put your meringue when the bottom have cooled down.
>>> Josee

>> I've never heard of Merengue or Méringue.
>>

>Have you heard of responding to a post 25 years too late?

At least he's given it a lot of thought before he posted.

--
Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Jun 2021 09:43:00 +1000, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 18:36:36 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> I've never heard of Merengue or Méringue.
>>>

>>Have you heard of responding to a post 25 years too late?

>At least he's given it a lot of thought before he posted.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 6:30:19 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:

> I've never heard of Merengue or Méringue.

Have you ever heard of a spelling error?

In fact the Merengue is a dance. The only person who spelled it Méringue
in this thread is you. You probably spell the food "marang".

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 6/8/2021 6:36 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> I've never heard of Merengue or Méringue.
>>>

>> Have you heard of responding to a post 25 years too late?

>Obviously not. Gotta wonder why someone who has never heard of meringue
>would even care.
>
>Jill

And never heard of (sp)? in the Subject line.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 01:44:26 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 6:30:19 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
>
>> I've never heard of Merengue or Méringue.

>Have you ever heard of a spelling error?
>
>In fact the Merengue is a dance. The only person who spelled it Méringue
>in this thread is you. You probably spell the food "marang".
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Jun 2021 06:45:06 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 18:49:22 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:

>>> Have you heard of responding to a post 25 years too late?

>>Obviously not. Gotta wonder why someone who has never heard of meringue
>>would even care.
>>
>>Jill

>And never heard of (sp)? in the Subject line.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 4:44:29 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 6:30:19 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
>
> > I've never heard of Merengue or Méringue.

> Have you ever heard of a spelling error?
>
> In fact the Merengue is a dance. The only person who spelled it Méringue
> in this thread is you. You probably spell the food "marang".

Is that right? Am I supposed to laugh or cry?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 06:21:24 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 4:44:29 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 6:30:19 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
>>
>> > I've never heard of Merengue or Méringue.

>> Have you ever heard of a spelling error?
>>
>> In fact the Merengue is a dance. The only person who spelled it Méringue
>> in this thread is you. You probably spell the food "marang".

>Is that right? Am I supposed to laugh or cry?

Not Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 11:14:24 PM UTC-4, Garrett Wollman wrote in alt.usage.english:
> In article >,
> Peter T. Daniels > wrote:
> >That sounds like it refers to a particular thing (a dessert?), but
> >"meringue" is a substance, made as Cat says.

> It is also a dessert made from baking said substance (as itself),
> sometimes with a swirl of some flavoring through it, often quite large
> in diameter. Chocolate and fruit-flavored ones are common.
>
> There are three different broadly recognized types of kinds of
> meringue (the substance): French, Swiss, and Italian. The baked
> sweets are made from a French meringue, which is uncooked (since
> they're going to be baked until dry anyway). A Swiss meringue is made
> in a double boiler, with the egg white and sugar whisked together
> until the egg is cooked, and then removed from heat and whipped to
> incorporate air. An Italian meringue is made by whipping the egg
> white first, until it forms stiff peaks, and then whipping in a very
> hot sugar syrup, which cooks the egg. Buttercream frostings are made
> from either Swiss or Italian meringues, depending on the preference of
> the baker.
>
> -GAWollman
>
> --
> Garrett A. Wollman | "Act to avoid constraining the future; if you can,
> | act to remove constraint from the future. This is
> Opinions not shared by| a thing you can do, are able to do, to do together."
> my employers. | - Graydon Saunders, _A Succession of Bad Days_ (2015)

I wonder how a meringue would help a Grand Marnier or Kahlúa mixed drink, like a B52 or a Mudslide.