Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Where's Ken, Snag (Terry), and Leo??

On 2021-06-05, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> Linux, baby. Linux all the way. All hail the power of the command line!
> Bow down to the One True Text Editor.

What? vi or vim? I haven't used the damned program for fifteen years, but
I remembered how to use <escape>. Then I had to remember slrn. I
recompiled it, all by myself, several years ago for the hell of it.
I've read damned near every article since I quit posting and managed to
squeeze a few in. I'm a work in progress.
I'm in the process of futzing around with .slrnrc for the past few days
and forgetting that I have a mouse. Three days ago, I even tried posting
to Joan (three times) and failed. I'm partially back.
People may notice some misspellings. My nonfunctional newsreader used to
highlight them for me. Now, I spell in the raw.
Or, are you an emacs girl?

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 5:23:49 AM UTC-4, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> On 2021-06-05, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
> > Linux, baby. Linux all the way. All hail the power of the command line!
> > Bow down to the One True Text Editor.

> What? vi or vim? I haven't used the damned program for fifteen years, but
> I remembered how to use <escape>.

Shouldn't that be "vi or emacs"? That's the real holy war.

I find vi and vim to be so similar it's not worth distinguishing between them.

> Then I had to remember slrn. I
> recompiled it, all by myself, several years ago for the hell of it.
> I've read damned near every article since I quit posting and managed to
> squeeze a few in. I'm a work in progress.
> I'm in the process of futzing around with .slrnrc for the past few days
> and forgetting that I have a mouse. Three days ago, I even tried posting
> to Joan (three times) and failed. I'm partially back.
> People may notice some misspellings. My nonfunctional newsreader used to
> highlight them for me. Now, I spell in the raw.
> Or, are you an emacs girl?

Oddly enough, I found the learning curve for emacs to be too steep.

Besides, wherever you go, vi is there.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Jun 2021 09:23:43 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>On 2021-06-05, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
>> Linux, baby. Linux all the way. All hail the power of the command line!
>> Bow down to the One True Text Editor.

>What? vi or vim? I haven't used the damned program for fifteen years, but
>I remembered how to use <escape>. Then I had to remember slrn. I
>recompiled it, all by myself, several years ago for the hell of it.
>I've read damned near every article since I quit posting and managed to
>squeeze a few in. I'm a work in progress.
>I'm in the process of futzing around with .slrnrc for the past few days
>and forgetting that I have a mouse. Three days ago, I even tried posting
>to Joan (three times) and failed. I'm partially back.
>People may notice some misspellings. My nonfunctional newsreader used to
>highlight them for me. Now, I spell in the raw.
>Or, are you an emacs girl?
>
>leo

NDS
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 02:30:53 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 5:23:49 AM UTC-4, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> On 2021-06-05, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>>
>> > Linux, baby. Linux all the way. All hail the power of the command line!
>> > Bow down to the One True Text Editor.

>> What? vi or vim? I haven't used the damned program for fifteen years, but
>> I remembered how to use <escape>.

>Shouldn't that be "vi or emacs"? That's the real holy war.
>
>I find vi and vim to be so similar it's not worth distinguishing between them.
>
>> Then I had to remember slrn. I
>> recompiled it, all by myself, several years ago for the hell of it.
>> I've read damned near every article since I quit posting and managed to
>> squeeze a few in. I'm a work in progress.
>> I'm in the process of futzing around with .slrnrc for the past few days
>> and forgetting that I have a mouse. Three days ago, I even tried posting
>> to Joan (three times) and failed. I'm partially back.
>> People may notice some misspellings. My nonfunctional newsreader used to
>> highlight them for me. Now, I spell in the raw.
>> Or, are you an emacs girl?

>Oddly enough, I found the learning curve for emacs to be too steep.
>
>Besides, wherever you go, vi is there.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

NDS
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 13:37:44 -0000 (UTC), heyjoe
> wrote:

>heyjoe wrote:
>
>> (g)vim!

>in your ~/.vimrc, add -
>set spell spelllang=en_us
>to have speel chucking turned on all the time.

Not Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 12:54:32 -0000 (UTC), heyjoe
> wrote:

>Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>
>> What? vi or vim?

>Simpler are nano or pico (too simple, IMO . . . but hey, whatever).
>
>(g)vim!

Not Dave Smith

Where's Ken, Snag (Terry), and Leo?? [email protected][_2_] General Cooking 63 07-06-2021 09:05 AM
PING Terry Jen General Cooking 3 26-04-2006 03:56 AM
A big "Thanks" to Terry Burd jmcquown General Cooking 8 29-07-2005 01:53 PM
PING Terry Harry Demidavicius General Cooking 1 16-03-2005 02:11 AM