Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Warn German Potato Salad

Warm German Potato Salad
8 slices of bacon, diced- fry, remove from grease - drain. Keep 4
Tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
Saute until golden 2 large onions, diced.
Add - 4 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. salt
Add - 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water.

For the potatoes: Use red potatoes. I use enough raw potatoes to
cover the bottom of my 5-quart pot. Cook in water until a granny fork
just pierces the potatoes. Peel, slice and drop them into the sauce.
Fold in gently.

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 09:19:32 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>Warm German Potato Salad
>8 slices of bacon, diced- fry, remove from grease - drain. Keep 4
>Tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
>Saute until golden 2 large onions, diced.
>Add - 4 Tbsp. sugar
> 2 Tbsp. flour
> 1 tsp. salt
>Add - 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water.
>
>For the potatoes: Use red potatoes. I use enough raw potatoes to
>cover the bottom of my 5-quart pot. Cook in water until a granny fork
>just pierces the potatoes. Peel, slice and drop them into the sauce.
>Fold in gently.
>
>Janet US

Thanks so much. I had no memory of flour, but that makes perfect sense
to create a sauce.

Thanks, too, for mentioning a potato choice. The right potato makes
all the diff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 11:33:43 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 09:19:32 -0600, US Janet >
>wrote:
>

>>Warm German Potato Salad
>>8 slices of bacon, diced- fry, remove from grease - drain. Keep 4
>>Tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
>>Saute until golden 2 large onions, diced.
>>Add - 4 Tbsp. sugar
>> 2 Tbsp. flour
>> 1 tsp. salt
>>Add - 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water.
>>
>>For the potatoes: Use red potatoes. I use enough raw potatoes to
>>cover the bottom of my 5-quart pot. Cook in water until a granny fork
>>just pierces the potatoes. Peel, slice and drop them into the sauce.
>>Fold in gently.
>>
>>Janet US

>Thanks so much. I had no memory of flour, but that makes perfect sense
>to create a sauce.
>
>Thanks, too, for mentioning a potato choice. The right potato makes
>all the diff.

You are absolutely right about the potato choice. My daughter called
me a couple of years ago. She had guests coming and dinner planned
and she had made the potato salad with the russet potatoes she had on
hand. She wanted to know what she did wrong because the potato salad
broke up and turned mushy. I had never specified what potato to her.
She sent her son off to the store for red potatoes and made a new
batch and everything turned out fine. I've tried the yellow potatoes
on this and they also turn too mealy.

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> Thanks so much. I had no memory of flour, but that makes perfect sense
> to create a sauce.

you really don't need it, the potato starches thicken
it up.

as a quicker substitute they have bacon crumbles that
are mostly cooked so you don't have to wait for the
bacon to fry and you don't have grease to throw away
when it's done. i normally crisp it up in the microwave
for about 40 seconds and that works well and quickly.

> Thanks, too, for mentioning a potato choice. The right potato makes
> all the diff.

i like all kinds as long as they are cooked completely.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 10:35:42 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 11:33:43 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 09:19:32 -0600, US Janet >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Warm German Potato Salad
>>>8 slices of bacon, diced- fry, remove from grease - drain. Keep 4
>>>Tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
>>>Saute until golden 2 large onions, diced.
>>>Add - 4 Tbsp. sugar
>>> 2 Tbsp. flour
>>> 1 tsp. salt
>>>Add - 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water.
>>>
>>>For the potatoes: Use red potatoes. I use enough raw potatoes to
>>>cover the bottom of my 5-quart pot. Cook in water until a granny fork
>>>just pierces the potatoes. Peel, slice and drop them into the sauce.
>>>Fold in gently.
>>>
>>>Janet US

>>Thanks so much. I had no memory of flour, but that makes perfect sense
>>to create a sauce.
>>
>>Thanks, too, for mentioning a potato choice. The right potato makes
>>all the diff.

Not for someone who can't cook.

>You are absolutely right about the potato choice. My daughter called
>me a couple of years ago. She had guests coming and dinner planned
>and she had made the potato salad with the russet potatoes she had on
>hand. She wanted to know what she did wrong because the potato salad
>broke up and turned mushy.

Simple, she over cooked them. It's even easier to over cook waxy
potatoes, At too high heat the exterior becomes mush while the
interior stays raw. The most important element for properly cooking
spuds is that they are all the same size.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 6:36:00 AM UTC-10, US Janet wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 11:33:43 -0400, Boron Elgar
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 09:19:32 -0600, US Janet >
> >wrote:
> >

> >>Warm German Potato Salad
> >>8 slices of bacon, diced- fry, remove from grease - drain. Keep 4
> >>Tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
> >>Saute until golden 2 large onions, diced.
> >>Add - 4 Tbsp. sugar
> >> 2 Tbsp. flour
> >> 1 tsp. salt
> >>Add - 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water.
> >>
> >>For the potatoes: Use red potatoes. I use enough raw potatoes to
> >>cover the bottom of my 5-quart pot. Cook in water until a granny fork
> >>just pierces the potatoes. Peel, slice and drop them into the sauce.
> >>Fold in gently.
> >>
> >>Janet US

> >Thanks so much. I had no memory of flour, but that makes perfect sense
> >to create a sauce.
> >
> >Thanks, too, for mentioning a potato choice. The right potato makes
> >all the diff.

> You are absolutely right about the potato choice. My daughter called
> me a couple of years ago. She had guests coming and dinner planned
> and she had made the potato salad with the russet potatoes she had on
> hand. She wanted to know what she did wrong because the potato salad
> broke up and turned mushy. I had never specified what potato to her.
> She sent her son off to the store for red potatoes and made a new
> batch and everything turned out fine. I've tried the yellow potatoes
> on this and they also turn too mealy.
>
> Janet US

You should use the right potato for a salad. A waxy potato is a good choice for a German type salad. I can't say if it would work at all in a Japanese potato salad. I love that stuff!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jw2nqvbvUvRAeYxRA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 1:08:35 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> You should use the right potato for a salad. A waxy potato is a good choice for a German type salad. I can't say if it would work at all in a Japanese potato salad. I love that stuff!
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jw2nqvbvUvRAeYxRA

Is that CORN in that 'potato salad'???? It looks more like Ambrosia.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 11:18:24 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 1:08:35 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> You should use the right potato for a salad. A waxy potato is a good choice for a German type salad. I can't say if it would work at all in a Japanese potato salad. I love that stuff!
>>
>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jw2nqvbvUvRAeYxRA
>>

>Is that CORN in that 'potato salad'???? It looks more like Ambrosia.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 12:37:50 -0400, songbird >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> Thanks so much. I had no memory of flour, but that makes perfect sense
>> to create a sauce.

> you really don't need it, the potato starches thicken
>it up.

I have not noticed any thickening in GPS, though, so I am guessing the
flour does make some diff

> as a quicker substitute they have bacon crumbles that
>are mostly cooked so you don't have to wait for the
>bacon to fry and you don't have grease to throw away
>when it's done. i normally crisp it up in the microwave
>for about 40 seconds and that works well and quickly.

The grease is a benefit in many GSP recipes. Not oodles of it, just a
clingy droplets.

>> Thanks, too, for mentioning a potato choice. The right potato makes
>> all the diff.

> i like all kinds as long as they are cooked completely.

I am strong in my potato choices for any kind of potato salad. My
latest pref is overpriced new reds that are done for about 5 mins in
the microwave and offer up fully cooked benefits, but only some
wonderful texture. I do like that texture- nothing hard or crunchy,
though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 11:08:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 6:36:00 AM UTC-10, US Janet wrote:
>> On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 11:33:43 -0400, Boron Elgar
>> > wrote:

>> >Thanks so much. I had no memory of flour, but that makes perfect sense
>> >to create a sauce.
>> >
>> >Thanks, too, for mentioning a potato choice. The right potato makes
>> >all the diff.

>> You are absolutely right about the potato choice. My daughter called
>> me a couple of years ago. She had guests coming and dinner planned
>> and she had made the potato salad with the russet potatoes she had on
>> hand. She wanted to know what she did wrong because the potato salad
>> broke up and turned mushy. I had never specified what potato to her.
>> She sent her son off to the store for red potatoes and made a new
>> batch and everything turned out fine. I've tried the yellow potatoes
>> on this and they also turn too mealy.
>>
>> Janet US

>You should use the right potato for a salad. A waxy potato is a good choice for a German type salad. I can't say if it would work at all in a Japanese potato salad. I love that stuff!
>
>https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jw2nqvbvUvRAeYxRA

Not Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Warm German Potato Salad
>8 slices of bacon, diced- fry, remove from grease - drain. Keep 4
>Tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
>Saute until golden 2 large onions, diced.
>Add - 4 Tbsp. sugar
> 2 Tbsp. flour
> 1 tsp. salt
>Add - 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water.
>
>For the potatoes: Use red potatoes. I use enough raw potatoes to
>cover the bottom of my 5-quart pot. Cook in water until a granny fork
>just pierces the potatoes. Peel, slice and drop them into the sauce.
>Fold in gently.
>
>Janet US

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 12:48:49 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 10:35:42 -0600, US Janet >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 11:33:43 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>>>Thanks so much. I had no memory of flour, but that makes perfect sense
>>>to create a sauce.
>>>
>>>Thanks, too, for mentioning a potato choice. The right potato makes
>>>all the diff.

>Not for someone who can't cook.
>
>>You are absolutely right about the potato choice. My daughter called
>>me a couple of years ago. She had guests coming and dinner planned
>>and she had made the potato salad with the russet potatoes she had on
>>hand. She wanted to know what she did wrong because the potato salad
>>broke up and turned mushy.

>Simple, she over cooked them. It's even easier to over cook waxy
>potatoes, At too high heat the exterior becomes mush while the
>interior stays raw. The most important element for properly cooking
>spuds is that they are all the same size.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 11:33:43 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 09:19:32 -0600, US Janet >
>wrote:
>

>>Warm German Potato Salad
>>8 slices of bacon, diced- fry, remove from grease - drain. Keep 4
>>Tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
>>Saute until golden 2 large onions, diced.
>>Add - 4 Tbsp. sugar
>> 2 Tbsp. flour
>> 1 tsp. salt
>>Add - 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water.
>>
>>For the potatoes: Use red potatoes. I use enough raw potatoes to
>>cover the bottom of my 5-quart pot. Cook in water until a granny fork
>>just pierces the potatoes. Peel, slice and drop them into the sauce.
>>Fold in gently.
>>
>>Janet US

>Thanks so much. I had no memory of flour, but that makes perfect sense
>to create a sauce.
>
>Thanks, too, for mentioning a potato choice. The right potato makes
>all the diff.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 14:54:53 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 12:37:50 -0400, songbird >
>wrote:
>
>>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>> Thanks so much. I had no memory of flour, but that makes perfect sense
>>> to create a sauce.

>> you really don't need it, the potato starches thicken
>>it up.

>I have not noticed any thickening in GPS, though, so I am guessing the
>flour does make some diff
>>
>> as a quicker substitute they have bacon crumbles that
>>are mostly cooked so you don't have to wait for the
>>bacon to fry and you don't have grease to throw away
>>when it's done. i normally crisp it up in the microwave
>>for about 40 seconds and that works well and quickly.

>The grease is a benefit in many GSP recipes. Not oodles of it, just a
>clingy droplets.
>>

>>> Thanks, too, for mentioning a potato choice. The right potato makes
>>> all the diff.

>> i like all kinds as long as they are cooked completely.
>>

>I am strong in my potato choices for any kind of potato salad. My
>latest pref is overpriced new reds that are done for about 5 mins in
>the microwave and offer up fully cooked benefits, but only some
>wonderful texture. I do like that texture- nothing hard or crunchy,
>though.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 8:18:28 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 1:08:35 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > You should use the right potato for a salad. A waxy potato is a good choice for a German type salad. I can't say if it would work at all in a Japanese potato salad. I love that stuff!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jw2nqvbvUvRAeYxRA

> Is that CORN in that 'potato salad'???? It looks more like Ambrosia.

Yes it is. It's the world's most colorful potato salad. Ham is a popular ingredient too. I had some from a store recently and there was something chewy in there. It took me a while to figure out it was dried cuttlefish. The weird thing about it was that it was damn tasty. My wife's co-workers have told her that my Japanese potato salad was the best potato salad they've ever tasted. It's going to be even better with cuttlefish!

https://www.justonecookbook.com/japanese-potato-salad/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/06/2021 16:19, US Janet wrote:

> Warm German Potato Salad
> 8 slices of bacon, diced- fry, remove from grease - drain. Keep 4
> Tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
> Saute until golden 2 large onions, diced.
> Add - 4 Tbsp. sugar
> 2 Tbsp. flour
> 1 tsp. salt
> Add - 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water.
>
> For the potatoes: Use red potatoes. I use enough raw potatoes to
> cover the bottom of my 5-quart pot. Cook in water until a granny fork
> just pierces the potatoes. Peel, slice and drop them into the sauce.
> Fold in gently.
>
> Janet US

One and a half cups of water?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-06 12:54 p.m., Boron Elgar wrote:

> I am strong in my potato choices for any kind of potato salad. My
> latest pref is overpriced new reds that are done for about 5 mins in
> the microwave and offer up fully cooked benefits, but only some
> wonderful texture. I do like that texture- nothing hard or crunchy,
> though.

That stirs a memory. When I used to visit my parents in the UK, I would
arrive in the early afternoon and they always served me a light lunch of
ham, fresh tomatoes and walnut-sized new potatoes from Dad's garden. He
harvested his potatoes while they were still small but would save a row
for my visit. There was also a bowl of freshly picked strawberries for
dessert.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 13:59:15 -0600, Graham > wrote:

>On 2021-06-06 12:54 p.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
>

>> I am strong in my potato choices for any kind of potato salad. My
>> latest pref is overpriced new reds that are done for about 5 mins in
>> the microwave and offer up fully cooked benefits, but only some
>> wonderful texture. I do like that texture- nothing hard or crunchy,
>> though.
>>

>That stirs a memory. When I used to visit my parents in the UK, I would
>arrive in the early afternoon and they always served me a light lunch of
>ham, fresh tomatoes and walnut-sized new potatoes from Dad's garden. He
>harvested his potatoes while they were still small but would save a row
>for my visit. There was also a bowl of freshly picked strawberries for
>dessert.

Nice memories.

I did not plant any potatoes this year, as last year I got some sort
of nibbly critter that marked some tubers and trashed others. I loved
digging up the tiny ones to cook, though. Those are the best..

And my strawberries are doing well this year- although I do have to
fight off the chipmunks- basically, I scare them off by placing
mousetraps strategically around the large tubs I use for berries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 13:59:15 -0600, Graham > wrote:

>On 2021-06-06 12:54 p.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
>

>> I am strong in my potato choices for any kind of potato salad. My
>> latest pref is overpriced new reds that are done for about 5 mins in
>> the microwave and offer up fully cooked benefits, but only some
>> wonderful texture. I do like that texture- nothing hard or crunchy,
>> though.
>>

>That stirs a memory. When I used to visit my parents in the UK, I would
>arrive in the early afternoon and they always served me a light lunch of
>ham, fresh tomatoes and walnut-sized new potatoes from Dad's garden. He
>harvested his potatoes while they were still small but would save a row
>for my visit. There was also a bowl of freshly picked strawberries for
>dessert.

if you grow your own potatoes, you can cheat. You ease your hand down
into the soil and pull off the little lovlies. )
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 20:45:58 +0100, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 06/06/2021 16:19, US Janet wrote:
>>
>> Warm German Potato Salad
>> 8 slices of bacon, diced- fry, remove from grease - drain. Keep 4
>> Tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
>> Saute until golden 2 large onions, diced.
>> Add - 4 Tbsp. sugar
>> 2 Tbsp. flour
>> 1 tsp. salt
>> Add - 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water.
>>
>> For the potatoes: Use red potatoes. I use enough raw potatoes to
>> cover the bottom of my 5-quart pot. Cook in water until a granny fork
>> just pierces the potatoes. Peel, slice and drop them into the sauce.
>> Fold in gently.
>>
>> Janet US
>>

>One and a half cups of water?

yep! It dilutes the vinegar to just the right strength. The flour
mixture thickens it to a correct saucy consistency for that amount of
potates.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 14:31:35 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 13:59:15 -0600, Graham > wrote:
>
>>On 2021-06-06 12:54 p.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
>>

>>> I am strong in my potato choices for any kind of potato salad. My
>>> latest pref is overpriced new reds that are done for about 5 mins in
>>> the microwave and offer up fully cooked benefits, but only some
>>> wonderful texture. I do like that texture- nothing hard or crunchy,
>>> though.
>>>

>>That stirs a memory. When I used to visit my parents in the UK, I would
>>arrive in the early afternoon and they always served me a light lunch of
>>ham, fresh tomatoes and walnut-sized new potatoes from Dad's garden. He
>>harvested his potatoes while they were still small but would save a row
>>for my visit. There was also a bowl of freshly picked strawberries for
>>dessert.

>if you grow your own potatoes, you can cheat. You ease your hand down
>into the soil and pull off the little lovlies. )

Bandicooting:
<https://fairywrencottage.com/2020/01/09/bandicooting-potatoes/>

--
Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> Thanks so much. I had no memory of flour, but that makes perfect sense
>> to create a sauce.

> you really don't need it, the potato starches thicken
>it up.
>
> as a quicker substitute they have bacon crumbles that
>are mostly cooked so you don't have to wait for the
>bacon to fry and you don't have grease to throw away
>when it's done. i normally crisp it up in the microwave
>for about 40 seconds and that works well and quickly.
>

>> Thanks, too, for mentioning a potato choice. The right potato makes
>> all the diff.

> i like all kinds as long as they are cooked completely.
>

> songbird

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 11:33:43 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 09:19:32 -0600, US Janet >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Warm German Potato Salad
>>>8 slices of bacon, diced- fry, remove from grease - drain. Keep 4
>>>Tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
>>>Saute until golden 2 large onions, diced.
>>>Add - 4 Tbsp. sugar
>>> 2 Tbsp. flour
>>> 1 tsp. salt
>>>Add - 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water.
>>>
>>>For the potatoes: Use red potatoes. I use enough raw potatoes to
>>>cover the bottom of my 5-quart pot. Cook in water until a granny fork
>>>just pierces the potatoes. Peel, slice and drop them into the sauce.
>>>Fold in gently.
>>>
>>>Janet US

>>Thanks so much. I had no memory of flour, but that makes perfect sense
>>to create a sauce.
>>
>>Thanks, too, for mentioning a potato choice. The right potato makes
>>all the diff.

>You are absolutely right about the potato choice. My daughter called
>me a couple of years ago. She had guests coming and dinner planned
>and she had made the potato salad with the russet potatoes she had on
>hand. She wanted to know what she did wrong because the potato salad
>broke up and turned mushy. I had never specified what potato to her.
>She sent her son off to the store for red potatoes and made a new
>batch and everything turned out fine. I've tried the yellow potatoes
>on this and they also turn too mealy.
>
>Janet US

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 20:45:58 +0100, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 06/06/2021 16:19, US Janet wrote:
>>
>> Warm German Potato Salad
>> 8 slices of bacon, diced- fry, remove from grease - drain. Keep 4
>> Tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
>> Saute until golden 2 large onions, diced.
>> Add - 4 Tbsp. sugar
>> 2 Tbsp. flour
>> 1 tsp. salt
>> Add - 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water.
>>
>> For the potatoes: Use red potatoes. I use enough raw potatoes to
>> cover the bottom of my 5-quart pot. Cook in water until a granny fork
>> just pierces the potatoes. Peel, slice and drop them into the sauce.
>> Fold in gently.
>>
>> Janet US
>>

>One and a half cups of water?

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2021 06:36:18 +1000, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 14:31:35 -0600, US Janet >
>wrote:

>>>That stirs a memory. When I used to visit my parents in the UK, I would
>>>arrive in the early afternoon and they always served me a light lunch of
>>>ham, fresh tomatoes and walnut-sized new potatoes from Dad's garden. He
>>>harvested his potatoes while they were still small but would save a row
>>>for my visit. There was also a bowl of freshly picked strawberries for
>>>dessert.

>>if you grow your own potatoes, you can cheat. You ease your hand down
>>into the soil and pull off the little lovlies. )

>Bandicooting:
><https://fairywrencottage.com/2020/01/09/bandicooting-potatoes/>

Not Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 13:59:15 -0600, Graham > wrote:
>
>>On 2021-06-06 12:54 p.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
>>

>>> I am strong in my potato choices for any kind of potato salad. My
>>> latest pref is overpriced new reds that are done for about 5 mins in
>>> the microwave and offer up fully cooked benefits, but only some
>>> wonderful texture. I do like that texture- nothing hard or crunchy,
>>> though.
>>>

>>That stirs a memory. When I used to visit my parents in the UK, I would
>>arrive in the early afternoon and they always served me a light lunch of
>>ham, fresh tomatoes and walnut-sized new potatoes from Dad's garden. He
>>harvested his potatoes while they were still small but would save a row
>>for my visit. There was also a bowl of freshly picked strawberries for
>>dessert.

>if you grow your own potatoes, you can cheat. You ease your hand down
>into the soil and pull off the little lovlies. )
>Janet US

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 14:33:21 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 20:45:58 +0100, S Viemeister
> wrote:
>
>>On 06/06/2021 16:19, US Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> Warm German Potato Salad
>>> 8 slices of bacon, diced- fry, remove from grease - drain. Keep 4
>>> Tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
>>> Saute until golden 2 large onions, diced.
>>> Add - 4 Tbsp. sugar
>>> 2 Tbsp. flour
>>> 1 tsp. salt
>>> Add - 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water.
>>>
>>> For the potatoes: Use red potatoes. I use enough raw potatoes to
>>> cover the bottom of my 5-quart pot. Cook in water until a granny fork
>>> just pierces the potatoes. Peel, slice and drop them into the sauce.
>>> Fold in gently.
>>>
>>> Janet US
>>>

>>One and a half cups of water?

>yep! It dilutes the vinegar to just the right strength. The flour
>mixture thickens it to a correct saucy consistency for that amount of
>potates.
>Janet US

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 16:30:35 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 13:59:15 -0600, Graham > wrote:
>
>>On 2021-06-06 12:54 p.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
>>

>>> I am strong in my potato choices for any kind of potato salad. My
>>> latest pref is overpriced new reds that are done for about 5 mins in
>>> the microwave and offer up fully cooked benefits, but only some
>>> wonderful texture. I do like that texture- nothing hard or crunchy,
>>> though.
>>>

>>That stirs a memory. When I used to visit my parents in the UK, I would
>>arrive in the early afternoon and they always served me a light lunch of
>>ham, fresh tomatoes and walnut-sized new potatoes from Dad's garden. He
>>harvested his potatoes while they were still small but would save a row
>>for my visit. There was also a bowl of freshly picked strawberries for
>>dessert.

>Nice memories.
>
>I did not plant any potatoes this year, as last year I got some sort
>of nibbly critter that marked some tubers and trashed others. I loved
>digging up the tiny ones to cook, though. Those are the best..
>
>And my strawberries are doing well this year- although I do have to
>fight off the chipmunks- basically, I scare them off by placing
>mousetraps strategically around the large tubs I use for berries.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 13:59:15 -0600, Graham > wrote:

>On 2021-06-06 12:54 p.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
>

>> I am strong in my potato choices for any kind of potato salad. My
>> latest pref is overpriced new reds that are done for about 5 mins in
>> the microwave and offer up fully cooked benefits, but only some
>> wonderful texture. I do like that texture- nothing hard or crunchy,
>> though.
>>

>That stirs a memory. When I used to visit my parents in the UK, I would
>arrive in the early afternoon and they always served me a light lunch of
>ham, fresh tomatoes and walnut-sized new potatoes from Dad's garden. He
>harvested his potatoes while they were still small but would save a row
>for my visit. There was also a bowl of freshly picked strawberries for
>dessert.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 12:40:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 8:18:28 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 1:08:35 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> >
>> > You should use the right potato for a salad. A waxy potato is a good choice for a German type salad. I can't say if it would work at all in a Japanese potato salad. I love that stuff!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jw2nqvbvUvRAeYxRA

>> Is that CORN in that 'potato salad'???? It looks more like Ambrosia.

>Yes it is. It's the world's most colorful potato salad. Ham is a popular ingredient too. I had some from a store recently and there was something chewy in there. It took me a while to figure out it was dried cuttlefish. The weird thing about it was that it was damn tasty. My wife's co-workers have told her that my Japanese potato salad was the best potato salad they've ever tasted. It's going to be even better with cuttlefish!
>
>https://www.justonecookbook.com/japanese-potato-salad/

Not Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 6:36:00 AM UTC-10, US Janet wrote:
> > On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 11:33:43 -0400, Boron Elgar
> > > wrote:

> > > Thanks so much. I had no memory of flour, but that makes perfect
> > > sense to create a sauce.
> > >
> > > Thanks, too, for mentioning a potato choice. The right potato
> > > makes all the diff.

> > You are absolutely right about the potato choice. My daughter
> > called me a couple of years ago. She had guests coming and dinner
> > planned and she had made the potato salad with the russet potatoes
> > she had on hand. She wanted to know what she did wrong because the
> > potato salad broke up and turned mushy. I had never specified what
> > potato to her. She sent her son off to the store for red potatoes
> > and made a new batch and everything turned out fine. I've tried the
> > yellow potatoes on this and they also turn too mealy.
> >
> > Janet US

> You should use the right potato for a salad. A waxy potato is a good
> choice for a German type salad. I can't say if it would work at all
> in a Japanese potato salad. I love that stuff!
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jw2nqvbvUvRAeYxRA

Yukon Gold would be a good choice for them. Japan doesn't have really
floury potatoes, much as that picture looks like.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 1:08:35 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > You should use the right potato for a salad. A waxy potato is a
> > good choice for a German type salad. I can't say if it would work
> > at all in a Japanese potato salad. I love that stuff!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jw2nqvbvUvRAeYxRA

> Is that CORN in that 'potato salad'???? It looks more like Ambrosia.

Hard to tell. I never saw anything like it in Japan but dsi1's version
of 'Japanese' has been filtered by 100's years of immigrants to Hawaii.
I wouldn't be shocked in Japan to see corn kernals used in such a way
though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/6/2021 11:19 AM, US Janet wrote:

> Warm German Potato Salad
> 8 slices of bacon, diced- fry, remove from grease - drain. Keep 4
> Tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
> Saute until golden 2 large onions, diced.
> Add - 4 Tbsp. sugar
> 2 Tbsp. flour
> 1 tsp. salt
> Add - 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water.
>
> For the potatoes: Use red potatoes. I use enough raw potatoes to
> cover the bottom of my 5-quart pot. Cook in water until a granny fork
> just pierces the potatoes. Peel, slice and drop them into the sauce.
> Fold in gently.
>
> Janet US

Yum! I only make it cold, without bacon, but that sounds wonderful. I
can't stand mayonnaise based salads.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 23:05:59 -0400, Michael Trew >
wrote:

>On 6/6/2021 11:19 AM, US Janet wrote:
>>
>> Warm German Potato Salad
>> 8 slices of bacon, diced- fry, remove from grease - drain. Keep 4
>> Tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
>> Saute until golden 2 large onions, diced.
>> Add - 4 Tbsp. sugar
>> 2 Tbsp. flour
>> 1 tsp. salt
>> Add - 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water.
>>
>> For the potatoes: Use red potatoes. I use enough raw potatoes to
>> cover the bottom of my 5-quart pot. Cook in water until a granny fork
>> just pierces the potatoes. Peel, slice and drop them into the sauce.
>> Fold in gently.
>>
>> Janet US

>Yum! I only make it cold, without bacon, but that sounds wonderful. I
>can't stand mayonnaise based salads.

Not DS
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 11:06:03 PM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 6/6/2021 11:19 AM, US Janet wrote:
> >
> > Warm German Potato Salad
> > 8 slices of bacon, diced- fry, remove from grease - drain. Keep 4
> > Tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
> > Saute until golden 2 large onions, diced.
> > Add - 4 Tbsp. sugar
> > 2 Tbsp. flour
> > 1 tsp. salt
> > Add - 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water.
> >
> > For the potatoes: Use red potatoes. I use enough raw potatoes to
> > cover the bottom of my 5-quart pot. Cook in water until a granny fork
> > just pierces the potatoes. Peel, slice and drop them into the sauce.
> > Fold in gently.
> >
> > Janet US

> Yum! I only make it cold, without bacon, but that sounds wonderful. I
> can't stand mayonnaise based salads.

You might enjoy French-style potato salad:

<https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/french-potato-salad-recipe-1914223>

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 02:18:03 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 11:06:03 PM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 6/6/2021 11:19 AM, US Janet wrote:
>> >
>> > Warm German Potato Salad
>> > 8 slices of bacon, diced- fry, remove from grease - drain. Keep 4
>> > Tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
>> > Saute until golden 2 large onions, diced.
>> > Add - 4 Tbsp. sugar
>> > 2 Tbsp. flour
>> > 1 tsp. salt
>> > Add - 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water.
>> >
>> > For the potatoes: Use red potatoes. I use enough raw potatoes to
>> > cover the bottom of my 5-quart pot. Cook in water until a granny fork
>> > just pierces the potatoes. Peel, slice and drop them into the sauce.
>> > Fold in gently.
>> >
>> > Janet US

>> Yum! I only make it cold, without bacon, but that sounds wonderful. I
>> can't stand mayonnaise based salads.

>You might enjoy French-style potato salad:
>
><https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/french-potato-salad-recipe-1914223>

French, no sugar

--
NDS
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 02:18:03 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 11:06:03 PM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 6/6/2021 11:19 AM, US Janet wrote:
>> >
>> > Warm German Potato Salad
>> > 8 slices of bacon, diced- fry, remove from grease - drain. Keep 4
>> > Tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
>> > Saute until golden 2 large onions, diced.
>> > Add - 4 Tbsp. sugar
>> > 2 Tbsp. flour
>> > 1 tsp. salt
>> > Add - 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water.
>> >
>> > For the potatoes: Use red potatoes. I use enough raw potatoes to
>> > cover the bottom of my 5-quart pot. Cook in water until a granny fork
>> > just pierces the potatoes. Peel, slice and drop them into the sauce.
>> > Fold in gently.
>> >
>> > Janet US

>> Yum! I only make it cold, without bacon, but that sounds wonderful. I
>> can't stand mayonnaise based salads.

>You might enjoy French-style potato salad:
>
><https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/french-potato-salad-recipe-1914223>
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Not DS
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2021 19:26:16 +1000, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 02:18:03 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>>> Yum! I only make it cold, without bacon, but that sounds wonderful. I
>>> can't stand mayonnaise based salads.

>>You might enjoy French-style potato salad:
>>
>><https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/french-potato-salad-recipe-1914223>

>French, no sugar

NDS
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 22:02:15 -0500, "cshenk"

>> On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 1:08:35 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> >
>> > You should use the right potato for a salad. A waxy potato is a
>> > good choice for a German type salad. I can't say if it would work
>> > at all in a Japanese potato salad. I love that stuff!
>> >
>> > https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jw2nqvbvUvRAeYxRA
>> >

>> Is that CORN in that 'potato salad'???? It looks more like Ambrosia.

>Hard to tell. I never saw anything like it in Japan but dsi1's version
>of 'Japanese' has been filtered by 100's years of immigrants to Hawaii.
>I wouldn't be shocked in Japan to see corn kernals used in such a way
>though.

Not DS
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 21:59:16 -0500, "cshenk"