Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Door to Door Salespeople (Was Delicious Dinner and "Calls Past")

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 04:53:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 7:27:42 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what "calls past" means (I even looked it up).

> We would say "drops by".

Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
get opened.

I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
"stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
roof last time?"

That's when I picked up a choice stick I set aside on my porch from
my tree trimming earlier, and stood up and advanced on him. Seeing
the girth of my stick (or maybe it was just my girth <shrug>) he
FINALLY got the message - He did some sort of funny little impromptu
dance and then scurried off pretty quick-like.

Then while knocking and ringing the on the next door neighbors door
4 times (she wasn't home, and I told him that before the first
knock-ring combo) he's all standing back from the door so he can see
me, and flinging more attitude and insults at me which I'm
ignoring. Then finally after the fourth knock-ring combo in 2
minutes, her handyman calls out an open window, "The owner's not
here. Get the **** off the property!". And while glaring at me,
Kyle says, "OK, Thank you for your time! Unlike SOME of your
neighbors!". I laughed pretty hard at that one, "Yeah, score one for
Big Kyle - Roofing Salesman of the Year!".

He got all indignant, but he got the messages. He walked 120 yards
up the street and out of sight without knocking on any more doors.
And he didn't come back to egg my house, throw rocks through my
windows, nor do a drive by shooting. Yet.

See, I'm not just a dick on Usenet. I can be pretty formidable in
real life, too! Especially when it comes to door to door salesman.

>> judging by context, if somebody calls past, you should sometimes
>> tell them to bring food since they're kinda imposing.

> Or, you could offer simple hospitality.

(laugh) Yeah, right. Who comes over expecting to hang out (and get
fed) anymore without calling first? Should I have offered the
roofing guy to come in for fried shrimp?

I'm gonna stick with just not answering the door. It's actually
pretty standard MO these days regardless of the neighborhood.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 6:00 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 04:53:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 7:27:42 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure what "calls past" means (I even looked it up).

>> We would say "drops by".

> Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
> don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
> get opened.
>
> I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
> while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
> Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
> times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
> "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
> off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
> YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
> roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
> criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
> and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
> roof last time?"
>
> That's when I picked up a choice stick I set aside on my porch from
> my tree trimming earlier, and stood up and advanced on him. Seeing
> the girth of my stick (or maybe it was just my girth <shrug>) he
> FINALLY got the message - He did some sort of funny little impromptu
> dance and then scurried off pretty quick-like.
>
> Then while knocking and ringing the on the next door neighbors door
> 4 times (she wasn't home, and I told him that before the first
> knock-ring combo) he's all standing back from the door so he can see
> me, and flinging more attitude and insults at me which I'm
> ignoring. Then finally after the fourth knock-ring combo in 2
> minutes, her handyman calls out an open window, "The owner's not
> here. Get the **** off the property!". And while glaring at me,
> Kyle says, "OK, Thank you for your time! Unlike SOME of your
> neighbors!". I laughed pretty hard at that one, "Yeah, score one for
> Big Kyle - Roofing Salesman of the Year!".
>
> He got all indignant, but he got the messages. He walked 120 yards
> up the street and out of sight without knocking on any more doors.
> And he didn't come back to egg my house, throw rocks through my
> windows, nor do a drive by shooting. Yet.
>
> See, I'm not just a dick on Usenet. I can be pretty formidable in
> real life, too! Especially when it comes to door to door salesman.
>
>>> judging by context, if somebody calls past, you should sometimes
>>> tell them to bring food since they're kinda imposing.

>> Or, you could offer simple hospitality.

> (laugh) Yeah, right. Who comes over expecting to hang out (and get
> fed) anymore without calling first? Should I have offered the
> roofing guy to come in for fried shrimp?
>
> I'm gonna stick with just not answering the door. It's actually
> pretty standard MO these days regardless of the neighborhood.
>
> -sw

The simple solution is to tell them you are a renter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 9:01:15 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 04:53:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 7:27:42 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not sure what "calls past" means (I even looked it up).

> > We would say "drops by".

> Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
> don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
> get opened.
>
> I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
> while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
> Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
> times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
> "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
> off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
> YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
> roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
> criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
> and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
> roof last time?"

"Please show me your peddler's license."

That lets them know you're willing to call the police on them. They
usually stop when we say that.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 9:00 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I'm gonna stick with just not answering the door. It's actually
> pretty standard MO these days regardless of the neighborhood.
>
> -sw

When Kyle found out you weren't happy did he
ask you which dwarf you are?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
joe joe is offline

In article >, lid says...

> On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 04:53:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 7:27:42 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not sure what "calls past" means (I even looked it up).

> > We would say "drops by".

> Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
> don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
> get opened.
>
> I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
> while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
> Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
> times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
> "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
> off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
> YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
> roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
> criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
> and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
> roof last time?"
>
> That's when I picked up a choice stick I set aside on my porch from
> my tree trimming earlier, and stood up and advanced on him. Seeing
> the girth of my stick (or maybe it was just my girth <shrug>) he
> FINALLY got the message - He did some sort of funny little impromptu
> dance and then scurried off pretty quick-like.

Was he singing "Short People" by Randy Newman to you?

They got little baby legs
And they stand so low
You got to pick 'em up
Just to say hello
They got little cars
That got beep, beep, beep
They got little voices
Goin' peep, peep, peep
They got grubby little fingers
And dirty little minds
They're gonna get you every time
Well, I don't want no short people
Don't want no short people
Don't want no short people
'Round here

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 7:00 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> He got all indignant, but he got the messages. He walked 120 yards
> up the street and out of sight without knocking on any more doors.
> And he didn't come back to egg my house, throw rocks through my
> windows, nor do a drive by shooting. Yet.
>
> See, I'm not just a dick on Usenet. I can be pretty formidable in
> real life, too! Especially when it comes to door to door salesman.

BRAVO!

https://youtu.be/NelBNtNm8l0

;-))))
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 7:40 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 9:01:15 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> We would say "drops by".

>> Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
>> don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
>> get opened.
>>
>> I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
>> while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
>> Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
>> times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
>> "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
>> off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
>> YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
>> roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
>> criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
>> and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
>> roof last time?"

> "Please show me your peddler's license."
>
> That lets them know you're willing to call the police on them. They
> usually stop when we say that.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

But you still have to speak to them, which is intolerable and a misuse
of YOUR personal time.

I'm thinking a tray of water on the door step and you show up with a
stripped lamp cord is the way to go.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 7:44 AM, Mike Hunt wrote:
> On 6/3/2021 9:00 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> I'm gonna stick with just not answering the door.Â* It's actually
>> pretty standard MO these days regardless of the neighborhood.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> When Kyle found out you weren't happy did he
> ask you which dwarf you are?

The Keebler tree has been repurposed by Xiden into a holding cell for
illegal aliens.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5c/d5...78e982175f.jpg

....from Scandinavia!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 08:00:52 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 04:53:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 7:27:42 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure what "calls past" means (I even looked it up).

>> We would say "drops by".

>Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
>don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
>get opened.
>
>I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
>while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
>Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
>times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
>"stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
>off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
>YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
>roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
>criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
>and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
>roof last time?"
>
>That's when I picked up a choice stick I set aside on my porch from
>my tree trimming earlier, and stood up and advanced on him. Seeing
>the girth of my stick (or maybe it was just my girth <shrug>) he
>FINALLY got the message - He did some sort of funny little impromptu
>dance and then scurried off pretty quick-like.
>
>Then while knocking and ringing the on the next door neighbors door
>4 times (she wasn't home, and I told him that before the first
>knock-ring combo) he's all standing back from the door so he can see
>me, and flinging more attitude and insults at me which I'm
>ignoring. Then finally after the fourth knock-ring combo in 2
>minutes, her handyman calls out an open window, "The owner's not
>here. Get the **** off the property!". And while glaring at me,
>Kyle says, "OK, Thank you for your time! Unlike SOME of your
>neighbors!". I laughed pretty hard at that one, "Yeah, score one for
>Big Kyle - Roofing Salesman of the Year!".
>
>He got all indignant, but he got the messages. He walked 120 yards
>up the street and out of sight without knocking on any more doors.
>And he didn't come back to egg my house, throw rocks through my
>windows, nor do a drive by shooting. Yet.
>
>See, I'm not just a dick on Usenet. I can be pretty formidable in
>real life, too! Especially when it comes to door to door salesman.
>
>>> judging by context, if somebody calls past, you should sometimes
>>> tell them to bring food since they're kinda imposing.

>> Or, you could offer simple hospitality.

>(laugh) Yeah, right. Who comes over expecting to hang out (and get
>fed) anymore without calling first? Should I have offered the
>roofing guy to come in for fried shrimp?
>
>I'm gonna stick with just not answering the door. It's actually
>pretty standard MO these days regardless of the neighborhood.
>
>-sw

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 10:29:52 -0400, joe > wrote:

>In article >, lid says...

>> > We would say "drops by".

>> Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
>> don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
>> get opened.
>>
>> I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
>> while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
>> Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
>> times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
>> "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
>> off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
>> YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
>> roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
>> criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
>> and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
>> roof last time?"
>>
>> That's when I picked up a choice stick I set aside on my porch from
>> my tree trimming earlier, and stood up and advanced on him. Seeing
>> the girth of my stick (or maybe it was just my girth <shrug>) he
>> FINALLY got the message - He did some sort of funny little impromptu
>> dance and then scurried off pretty quick-like.
>>

>Was he singing "Short People" by Randy Newman to you?
>
>They got little baby legs
>And they stand so low
>You got to pick 'em up
>Just to say hello
>They got little cars
>That got beep, beep, beep
>They got little voices
>Goin' peep, peep, peep
>They got grubby little fingers
>And dirty little minds
>They're gonna get you every time
>Well, I don't want no short people
>Don't want no short people
>Don't want no short people
>'Round here

The other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 06:09:55 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 6/3/2021 6:00 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> We would say "drops by".

>> Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
>> don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
>> get opened.
>>
>> I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
>> while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
>> Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
>> times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
>> "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
>> off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
>> YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
>> roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
>> criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
>> and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
>> roof last time?"
>>
>> That's when I picked up a choice stick I set aside on my porch from
>> my tree trimming earlier, and stood up and advanced on him. Seeing
>> the girth of my stick (or maybe it was just my girth <shrug>) he
>> FINALLY got the message - He did some sort of funny little impromptu
>> dance and then scurried off pretty quick-like.
>>
>> Then while knocking and ringing the on the next door neighbors door
>> 4 times (she wasn't home, and I told him that before the first
>> knock-ring combo) he's all standing back from the door so he can see
>> me, and flinging more attitude and insults at me which I'm
>> ignoring. Then finally after the fourth knock-ring combo in 2
>> minutes, her handyman calls out an open window, "The owner's not
>> here. Get the **** off the property!". And while glaring at me,
>> Kyle says, "OK, Thank you for your time! Unlike SOME of your
>> neighbors!". I laughed pretty hard at that one, "Yeah, score one for
>> Big Kyle - Roofing Salesman of the Year!".
>>
>> He got all indignant, but he got the messages. He walked 120 yards
>> up the street and out of sight without knocking on any more doors.
>> And he didn't come back to egg my house, throw rocks through my
>> windows, nor do a drive by shooting. Yet.
>>
>> See, I'm not just a dick on Usenet. I can be pretty formidable in
>> real life, too! Especially when it comes to door to door salesman.

>>> Or, you could offer simple hospitality.

>> (laugh) Yeah, right. Who comes over expecting to hang out (and get
>> fed) anymore without calling first? Should I have offered the
>> roofing guy to come in for fried shrimp?
>>
>> I'm gonna stick with just not answering the door. It's actually
>> pretty standard MO these days regardless of the neighborhood.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>The simple solution is to tell them you are a renter.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 06:40:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 9:01:15 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:

>> > We would say "drops by".

>> Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
>> don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
>> get opened.
>>
>> I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
>> while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
>> Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
>> times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
>> "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
>> off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
>> YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
>> roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
>> criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
>> and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
>> roof last time?"

>"Please show me your peddler's license."
>
>That lets them know you're willing to call the police on them. They
>usually stop when we say that.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 06:40:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

>>> Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
>>> don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
>>> get opened.
>>>
>>> I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
>>> while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
>>> Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
>>> times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
>>> "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
>>> off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
>>> YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
>>> roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
>>> criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
>>> and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
>>> roof last time?"

>> "Please show me your peddler's license."
>>
>> That lets them know you're willing to call the police on them. They
>> usually stop when we say that.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Ask them, theyre here. "You can stop saying that now. Thank you."

Master druce, please come back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 09:44:03 -0400, Mike Hunt >
wrote:

>On 6/3/2021 9:00 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> I'm gonna stick with just not answering the door. It's actually
>> pretty standard MO these days regardless of the neighborhood.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>When Kyle found out you weren't happy did he
>ask you which dwarf you are?

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 16:43:00 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>> On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 06:40:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> "Please show me your peddler's license."
>>>
>>> That lets them know you're willing to call the police on them. They
>>> usually stop when we say that.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Ask them, theyre here. "You can stop saying that now. Thank you."
>>

>Master druce, please come back.

The other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 6/3/2021 9:00 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> I'm gonna stick with just not answering the door. It's actually
>> pretty standard MO these days regardless of the neighborhood.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>When Kyle found out you weren't happy did he
>ask you which dwarf you are?

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 8:01:15 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 04:53:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 7:27:42 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not sure what "calls past" means (I even looked it up).

> > We would say "drops by".

> Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
> don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
> get opened.
>
> I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
> while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
> Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
> times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
> "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
> off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
> YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
> roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
> criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
> and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
> roof last time?"
>
> That's when I picked up a choice stick I set aside on my porch from
> my tree trimming earlier, and stood up and advanced on him. Seeing
> the girth of my stick (or maybe it was just my girth <shrug>) he
> FINALLY got the message - He did some sort of funny little impromptu
> dance and then scurried off pretty quick-like.
>
> Then while knocking and ringing the on the next door neighbors door
> 4 times (she wasn't home, and I told him that before the first
> knock-ring combo) he's all standing back from the door so he can see
> me, and flinging more attitude and insults at me which I'm
> ignoring. Then finally after the fourth knock-ring combo in 2
> minutes, her handyman calls out an open window, "The owner's not
> here. Get the **** off the property!". And while glaring at me,
> Kyle says, "OK, Thank you for your time! Unlike SOME of your
> neighbors!". I laughed pretty hard at that one, "Yeah, score one for
> Big Kyle - Roofing Salesman of the Year!".
>
> He got all indignant, but he got the messages. He walked 120 yards
> up the street and out of sight without knocking on any more doors.
> And he didn't come back to egg my house, throw rocks through my
> windows, nor do a drive by shooting. Yet.
>
> See, I'm not just a dick on Usenet. I can be pretty formidable in
> real life, too! Especially when it comes to door to door salesman.
>
> >> judging by context, if somebody calls past, you should sometimes
> >> tell them to bring food since they're kinda imposing.

> > Or, you could offer simple hospitality.

> (laugh) Yeah, right. Who comes over expecting to hang out (and get
> fed) anymore without calling first? Should I have offered the
> roofing guy to come in for fried shrimp?
>
> I'm gonna stick with just not answering the door. It's actually
> pretty standard MO these days regardless of the neighborhood.

I've run off both Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons. If you tell them,
"No one on our block wants your shit," and go out in front of your
house like you might follow them, they leave.

> -sw

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 06:40:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 9:01:15 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> We would say "drops by".

>> Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
>> don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
>> get opened.
>>
>> I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
>> while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
>> Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
>> times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
>> "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
>> off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
>> YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
>> roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
>> criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
>> and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
>> roof last time?"

> "Please show me your peddler's license."
>
> That lets them know you're willing to call the police on them. They
> usually stop when we say that.

Our jurisdictions don't require solicitation permits. And the
Cities that do, they're being shot down by higher courts. The
Supreme Court has ruled that solicitors of any sort are allowed to
bug the shit out of you by knocking on you door to deliver any
message they want, provided it's a "proper time and place". I shit
you not.

While you can get somebody for trespassing, that's only after you
deliver notice to *specific* individuals witnessed by a Judge or
police officer. And only then can subsequent ingresses be
prosecutable. And getting a cop out to delver a residential
trespass warning and file it is near impossible (around here).

The only other way it's prosecutable is if you have a
fence/wall/gates and they scale it to get onto your property. But
99.5% of residential areas have laws about front-facing fences,
walls, and gates saying that they may only start at the edge of your
house (except on a corner lot), leaving street entry open to your
front door. And thereby fair game for solicitors. I shit you not
again.

Is that ****ed up or what? And people wonder why those "no
solicitation" signs don't work.

I found a loophol,e though. The law regarding it being unlawful to
enter "Crime Scene" areas marked by tape or other notices, DOES NOT
have a provision saying that it must be placed by an authority to be
unlawful to pass. So I'm going to order 7,500 feet of yellow
"Crime Scene - DO NOT ENTER" tape. While I only need to wrap it
around the front of the house, 7,500 feet is the minimum order. I
can sell some to my neighbors at $.03/foot (cost).

I should have been a lawyer.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 15:54:27 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 8:01:15 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

>> (laugh) Yeah, right. Who comes over expecting to hang out (and get
>> fed) anymore without calling first? Should I have offered the
>> roofing guy to come in for fried shrimp?
>>
>> I'm gonna stick with just not answering the door. It's actually
>> pretty standard MO these days regardless of the neighborhood.
>>

>I've run off both Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons. If you tell them,
>"No one on our block wants your shit," and go out in front of your
>house like you might follow them, they leave.

JWs are always very polite, in my experience. I say right away that
I'm not interested. And then we talk a bit about the weather or how
beautiful the area is. And then they leave. Nobody's offended.

--
Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 3:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 06:40:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
>>> don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
>>> get opened.
>>>
>>> I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
>>> while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
>>> Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
>>> times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
>>> "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
>>> off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
>>> YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
>>> roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
>>> criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
>>> and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
>>> roof last time?"

>> "Please show me your peddler's license."
>>
>> That lets them know you're willing to call the police on them. They
>> usually stop when we say that.

> Our jurisdictions don't require solicitation permits. And the
> Cities that do, they're being shot down by higher courts. The
> Supreme Court has ruled that solicitors of any sort are allowed to
> bug the shit out of you by knocking on you door to deliver any
> message they want, provided it's a "proper time and place". I shit
> you not.
>
> While you can get somebody for trespassing, that's only after you
> deliver notice to *specific* individuals witnessed by a Judge or
> police officer. And only then can subsequent ingresses be
> prosecutable. And getting a cop out to delver a residential
> trespass warning and file it is near impossible (around here).
>
> The only other way it's prosecutable is if you have a
> fence/wall/gates and they scale it to get onto your property. But
> 99.5% of residential areas have laws about front-facing fences,
> walls, and gates saying that they may only start at the edge of your
> house (except on a corner lot), leaving street entry open to your
> front door. And thereby fair game for solicitors. I shit you not
> again.
>
> Is that ****ed up or what? And people wonder why those "no
> solicitation" signs don't work.
>
> I found a loophol,e though. The law regarding it being unlawful to
> enter "Crime Scene" areas marked by tape or other notices, DOES NOT
> have a provision saying that it must be placed by an authority to be
> unlawful to pass. So I'm going to order 7,500 feet of yellow
> "Crime Scene - DO NOT ENTER" tape. While I only need to wrap it
> around the front of the house, 7,500 feet is the minimum order. I
> can sell some to my neighbors at $.03/foot (cost).
>
> I should have been a lawyer.
>
> -sw

I imagine before too long you will be a jailhouse lawyer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 09:30:55 +1000, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 15:54:27 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:
>
>>On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 8:01:15 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> (laugh) Yeah, right. Who comes over expecting to hang out (and get
>>> fed) anymore without calling first? Should I have offered the
>>> roofing guy to come in for fried shrimp?
>>>
>>> I'm gonna stick with just not answering the door. It's actually
>>> pretty standard MO these days regardless of the neighborhood.
>>>

>>I've run off both Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons. If you tell them,
>>"No one on our block wants your shit," and go out in front of your
>>house like you might follow them, they leave.

>JWs are always very polite, in my experience. I say right away that
>I'm not interested. And then we talk a bit about the weather or how
>beautiful the area is. And then they leave. Nobody's offended.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> [...]

>> up the street and out of sight without knocking on any more doors.
>> And he didn't come back to egg my house, throw rocks through my
>> windows, nor do a drive by shooting. Yet.
>>
>> See, I'm not just a dick on Usenet. I can be pretty formidable in
>> real life, too! Especially when it comes to door to door salesman.

>> > Or, you could offer simple hospitality.

>> (laugh) Yeah, right. Who comes over expecting to hang out (and get
>> fed) anymore without calling first? Should I have offered the
>> roofing guy to come in for fried shrimp?
>>
>> I'm gonna stick with just not answering the door. It's actually
>> pretty standard MO these days regardless of the neighborhood.
>>

>I've run off both Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons. If you tell them,
>"No one on our block wants your shit," and go out in front of your
>house like you might follow them, they leave.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 17:58:46 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 06:40:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
>>> don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
>>> get opened.
>>>
>>> I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
>>> while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
>>> Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
>>> times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
>>> "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
>>> off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
>>> YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
>>> roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
>>> criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
>>> and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
>>> roof last time?"

>> "Please show me your peddler's license."
>>
>> That lets them know you're willing to call the police on them. They
>> usually stop when we say that.

>Our jurisdictions don't require solicitation permits. And the
>Cities that do, they're being shot down by higher courts. The
>Supreme Court has ruled that solicitors of any sort are allowed to
>bug the shit out of you by knocking on you door to deliver any
>message they want, provided it's a "proper time and place". I shit
>you not.
>
>While you can get somebody for trespassing, that's only after you
>deliver notice to *specific* individuals witnessed by a Judge or
>police officer. And only then can subsequent ingresses be
>prosecutable. And getting a cop out to delver a residential
>trespass warning and file it is near impossible (around here).
>
>The only other way it's prosecutable is if you have a
>fence/wall/gates and they scale it to get onto your property. But
>99.5% of residential areas have laws about front-facing fences,
>walls, and gates saying that they may only start at the edge of your
>house (except on a corner lot), leaving street entry open to your
>front door. And thereby fair game for solicitors. I shit you not
>again.
>
>Is that ****ed up or what? And people wonder why those "no
>solicitation" signs don't work.
>
>I found a loophol,e though. The law regarding it being unlawful to
>enter "Crime Scene" areas marked by tape or other notices, DOES NOT
>have a provision saying that it must be placed by an authority to be
>unlawful to pass. So I'm going to order 7,500 feet of yellow
>"Crime Scene - DO NOT ENTER" tape. While I only need to wrap it
>around the front of the house, 7,500 feet is the minimum order. I
>can sell some to my neighbors at $.03/foot (cost).
>
>I should have been a lawyer.
>
>-sw

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 16:46:32 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 6/3/2021 3:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> "Please show me your peddler's license."
>>>
>>> That lets them know you're willing to call the police on them. They
>>> usually stop when we say that.

>> Our jurisdictions don't require solicitation permits. And the
>> Cities that do, they're being shot down by higher courts. The
>> Supreme Court has ruled that solicitors of any sort are allowed to
>> bug the shit out of you by knocking on you door to deliver any
>> message they want, provided it's a "proper time and place". I shit
>> you not.
>>
>> While you can get somebody for trespassing, that's only after you
>> deliver notice to *specific* individuals witnessed by a Judge or
>> police officer. And only then can subsequent ingresses be
>> prosecutable. And getting a cop out to delver a residential
>> trespass warning and file it is near impossible (around here).
>>
>> The only other way it's prosecutable is if you have a
>> fence/wall/gates and they scale it to get onto your property. But
>> 99.5% of residential areas have laws about front-facing fences,
>> walls, and gates saying that they may only start at the edge of your
>> house (except on a corner lot), leaving street entry open to your
>> front door. And thereby fair game for solicitors. I shit you not
>> again.
>>
>> Is that ****ed up or what? And people wonder why those "no
>> solicitation" signs don't work.
>>
>> I found a loophol,e though. The law regarding it being unlawful to
>> enter "Crime Scene" areas marked by tape or other notices, DOES NOT
>> have a provision saying that it must be placed by an authority to be
>> unlawful to pass. So I'm going to order 7,500 feet of yellow
>> "Crime Scene - DO NOT ENTER" tape. While I only need to wrap it
>> around the front of the house, 7,500 feet is the minimum order. I
>> can sell some to my neighbors at $.03/foot (cost).
>>
>> I should have been a lawyer.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>I imagine before too long you will be a jailhouse lawyer.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 5:59:14 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 06:40:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
> >> don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
> >> get opened.
> >>
> >> I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
> >> while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
> >> Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
> >> times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
> >> "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
> >> off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
> >> YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
> >> roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
> >> criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
> >> and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
> >> roof last time?"

> > "Please show me your peddler's license."
> >
> > That lets them know you're willing to call the police on them. They
> > usually stop when we say that.

> Our jurisdictions don't require solicitation permits. And the
> Cities that do, they're being shot down by higher courts. The
> Supreme Court has ruled that solicitors of any sort are allowed to
> bug the shit out of you by knocking on you door to deliver any
> message they want, provided it's a "proper time and place". I shit
> you not.
>
> While you can get somebody for trespassing, that's only after you
> deliver notice to *specific* individuals witnessed by a Judge or
> police officer. And only then can subsequent ingresses be
> prosecutable. And getting a cop out to delver a residential
> trespass warning and file it is near impossible (around here).
>
> The only other way it's prosecutable is if you have a
> fence/wall/gates and they scale it to get onto your property. But
> 99.5% of residential areas have laws about front-facing fences,
> walls, and gates saying that they may only start at the edge of your
> house (except on a corner lot), leaving street entry open to your
> front door. And thereby fair game for solicitors. I shit you not
> again.
>
> Is that ****ed up or what? And people wonder why those "no
> solicitation" signs don't work.
>
> I found a loophol,e though. The law regarding it being unlawful to
> enter "Crime Scene" areas marked by tape or other notices, DOES NOT
> have a provision saying that it must be placed by an authority to be
> unlawful to pass. So I'm going to order 7,500 feet of yellow
> "Crime Scene - DO NOT ENTER" tape. While I only need to wrap it
> around the front of the house, 7,500 feet is the minimum order. I
> can sell some to my neighbors at $.03/foot (cost).
>
> I should have been a lawyer.
>
> -sw

Naw, sounds like you vote democrat...

--
GM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 17:16:57 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 5:59:14 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

>> > "Please show me your peddler's license."
>> >
>> > That lets them know you're willing to call the police on them. They
>> > usually stop when we say that.

>> Our jurisdictions don't require solicitation permits. And the
>> Cities that do, they're being shot down by higher courts. The
>> Supreme Court has ruled that solicitors of any sort are allowed to
>> bug the shit out of you by knocking on you door to deliver any
>> message they want, provided it's a "proper time and place". I shit
>> you not.
>>
>> While you can get somebody for trespassing, that's only after you
>> deliver notice to *specific* individuals witnessed by a Judge or
>> police officer. And only then can subsequent ingresses be
>> prosecutable. And getting a cop out to delver a residential
>> trespass warning and file it is near impossible (around here).
>>
>> The only other way it's prosecutable is if you have a
>> fence/wall/gates and they scale it to get onto your property. But
>> 99.5% of residential areas have laws about front-facing fences,
>> walls, and gates saying that they may only start at the edge of your
>> house (except on a corner lot), leaving street entry open to your
>> front door. And thereby fair game for solicitors. I shit you not
>> again.
>>
>> Is that ****ed up or what? And people wonder why those "no
>> solicitation" signs don't work.
>>
>> I found a loophol,e though. The law regarding it being unlawful to
>> enter "Crime Scene" areas marked by tape or other notices, DOES NOT
>> have a provision saying that it must be placed by an authority to be
>> unlawful to pass. So I'm going to order 7,500 feet of yellow
>> "Crime Scene - DO NOT ENTER" tape. While I only need to wrap it
>> around the front of the house, 7,500 feet is the minimum order. I
>> can sell some to my neighbors at $.03/foot (cost).
>>
>> I should have been a lawyer.
>>
>> -sw

>Naw, sounds like you vote democrat...

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 6:59:14 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 06:40:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
> >> don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
> >> get opened.
> >>
> >> I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
> >> while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
> >> Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
> >> times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
> >> "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
> >> off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
> >> YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
> >> roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
> >> criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
> >> and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
> >> roof last time?"

> > "Please show me your peddler's license."
> >
> > That lets them know you're willing to call the police on them. They
> > usually stop when we say that.

> Our jurisdictions don't require solicitation permits.

But the tactic might work anyway. I'm not sure the place
I live requires them, either.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 6:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> And people wonder why those "no
> solicitation" signs don't work.
>
> I found a loophol,e though. The law regarding it being unlawful to
> enter "Crime Scene" areas marked by tape or other notices, DOES NOT
> have a provision saying that it must be placed by an authority to be
> unlawful to pass. So I'm going to order 7,500 feet of yellow
> "Crime Scene - DO NOT ENTER" tape. While I only need to wrap it
> around the front of the house, 7,500 feet is the minimum order. I
> can sell some to my neighbors at $.03/foot (cost).

Is there a uniform supply shop in the area? I worked with a couple of
guys who bought a roll of bright yellow "Crime Scene DO NOT Cross" tape
at a uniform supply store in Memphis. They thought it would be a hoot
to put some across our boss' office door. Most people thought it was
funny but the boss did not.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:
> I've run off both Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons. If you tell them,
> "No one on our block wants your shit," and go out in front of your
> house like you might follow them, they leave.

I've had both come to my door. I politely tell them I'm not interested
but leave some literature and I will read it. So they do, and I do read
it. It's that simple and polite. They never come back.

Note: this is required by their religions. They probably don't like
knocking on doors either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> I should have been a lawyer.

You would be the best lawyer in the universe as you *ALWAYS* have to win
and won't give up until you do. lol :-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-04 9:50 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>> I've run off both Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons.Â* If you tell them,
>> "No one on our block wants your shit," and go out in front of your
>> house like you might follow them, they leave.

> I've had both come to my door. I politely tell them I'm not interested
> but leave some literature and I will read it. So they do, and I do read
> it. It's that simple and polite. They never come back.
>
> Note: this is required by their religions. They probably don't like
> knocking on doors either.

I got fed up with them coming around regularly to pawn their religion on
me. I sent a letter to their local church to tell them I did no want
them coming around and that they would be charged with trespassing. It
worked. That was probably 30 years ago. Years later they called and
asked me about that letter and asked if it was still in effect or would
I accept a visit. I said that it was still effect and not to come. I
have not heard from them since.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 8:51:08 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
> > I've run off both Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons. If you tell them,
> > "No one on our block wants your shit," and go out in front of your
> > house like you might follow them, they leave.

> I've had both come to my door. I politely tell them I'm not interested
> but leave some literature and I will read it. So they do, and I do read
> it. It's that simple and polite. They never come back.
>
> Note: this is required by their religions. They probably don't like
> knocking on doors either.

They choose to be part of their stupid, door-knocking religion.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 9:41:04 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 9:01:15 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:

> > > We would say "drops by".

> > Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
> > don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
> > get opened.
> >
> > I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
> > while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
> > Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
> > times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
> > "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
> > off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
> > YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
> > roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
> > criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
> > and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
> > roof last time?"

> "Please show me your peddler's license."

You wouldn't say that if it were Publishers Clearing House.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2021 9:50 AM, Gary wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>> I've run off both Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons.Â* If you tell them,
>> "No one on our block wants your shit," and go out in front of your
>> house like you might follow them, they leave.

> I've had both come to my door. I politely tell them I'm not interested
> but leave some literature and I will read it. So they do, and I do read
> it. It's that simple and polite. They never come back.
>
> Note: this is required by their religions. They probably don't like
> knocking on doors either.

When I was a teenager in Memphis there were young men wearing black
suits with white shirts, always a tie, riding bicycles on the street in
front of the house where we lived. Mormons. Yes, it was required of
them. They usually didn't bother walking up the steps to knock or ring
the bell because they pretty much knew no one wanted to hear their spiel
or take the pamphlets/tracts.

In the summer heat, those guys looked miserable. (Actually they looked
miserable and bored no matter what time of year.) When the temps hit
90...I'm thinking take off the tie! Loosen the buttons on the collar.
Not allowed to be comfortable?! "Sweating for God" makes no sense to me.

I felt sorry for them. They knew they weren't going to "convert"
anyone. It's a weird idea to me to require people to dress in a
specific way and do something like ride bicycles and hand out tracts to
strangers, but unless they join! don't associate with them. Huh?

I don't have that problem now. Gated communities can be a wonderful
thing. My neighbors don't try to sell me things like Amway or Herbalife
or Watkins or Avon, either. Whew!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 11:08:15 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/4/2021 9:50 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>>> I've run off both Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons.* If you tell them,
>>> "No one on our block wants your shit," and go out in front of your
>>> house like you might follow them, they leave.

>> I've had both come to my door. I politely tell them I'm not interested
>> but leave some literature and I will read it. So they do, and I do read
>> it. It's that simple and polite. They never come back.
>>
>> Note: this is required by their religions. They probably don't like
>> knocking on doors either.
>>

>When I was a teenager in Memphis there were young men wearing black
>suits with white shirts, always a tie, riding bicycles on the street in
>front of the house where we lived. Mormons. Yes, it was required of
>them. They usually didn't bother walking up the steps to knock or ring
>the bell because they pretty much knew no one wanted to hear their spiel
>or take the pamphlets/tracts.
>
>In the summer heat, those guys looked miserable. (Actually they looked
>miserable and bored no matter what time of year.) When the temps hit
>90...I'm thinking take off the tie! Loosen the buttons on the collar.
>Not allowed to be comfortable?! "Sweating for God" makes no sense to me.
>
>I felt sorry for them. They knew they weren't going to "convert"
>anyone. It's a weird idea to me to require people to dress in a
>specific way and do something like ride bicycles and hand out tracts to
>strangers, but unless they join! don't associate with them. Huh?
>
>I don't have that problem now. Gated communities can be a wonderful
>thing. My neighbors don't try to sell me things like Amway or Herbalife
>or Watkins or Avon, either. Whew!
>
>Jill

Yeah but... gated communities may as well display a sign on the gate,
"Peyton Place". hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 4:54 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 8:01:15 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> We would say "drops by".

>> Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
>> don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
>> get opened.
>>
>> I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
>> while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
>> Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
>> times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
>> "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
>> off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
>> YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
>> roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
>> criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
>> and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
>> roof last time?"
>>
>> That's when I picked up a choice stick I set aside on my porch from
>> my tree trimming earlier, and stood up and advanced on him. Seeing
>> the girth of my stick (or maybe it was just my girth <shrug>) he
>> FINALLY got the message - He did some sort of funny little impromptu
>> dance and then scurried off pretty quick-like.
>>
>> Then while knocking and ringing the on the next door neighbors door
>> 4 times (she wasn't home, and I told him that before the first
>> knock-ring combo) he's all standing back from the door so he can see
>> me, and flinging more attitude and insults at me which I'm
>> ignoring. Then finally after the fourth knock-ring combo in 2
>> minutes, her handyman calls out an open window, "The owner's not
>> here. Get the **** off the property!". And while glaring at me,
>> Kyle says, "OK, Thank you for your time! Unlike SOME of your
>> neighbors!". I laughed pretty hard at that one, "Yeah, score one for
>> Big Kyle - Roofing Salesman of the Year!".
>>
>> He got all indignant, but he got the messages. He walked 120 yards
>> up the street and out of sight without knocking on any more doors.
>> And he didn't come back to egg my house, throw rocks through my
>> windows, nor do a drive by shooting. Yet.
>>
>> See, I'm not just a dick on Usenet. I can be pretty formidable in
>> real life, too! Especially when it comes to door to door salesman.

>>> Or, you could offer simple hospitality.

>> (laugh) Yeah, right. Who comes over expecting to hang out (and get
>> fed) anymore without calling first? Should I have offered the
>> roofing guy to come in for fried shrimp?
>>
>> I'm gonna stick with just not answering the door. It's actually
>> pretty standard MO these days regardless of the neighborhood.
>>

> I've run off both Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons. If you tell them,
> "No one on our block wants your shit," and go out in front of your
> house like you might follow them, they leave.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> --Bryan

Even better, keep the book of Mormon around and try and retro-convert them!

Heh.

;-))))
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 4:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> The
> Supreme Court has ruled that solicitors of any sort are allowed to
> bug the shit out of you by knocking on you door to deliver any
> message they want, provided it's a "proper time and place". I shit
> you not.

Indeed!

https://www.foxnews.com/story/justic...r-solicitation

WASHINGTON €“ The Constitution protects the right of missionaries,
politicians and others to knock on doors without first getting
permission from local authorities, the Supreme Court ruled Monday.

The court struck down a local law that leaders of a small Ohio town said
was meant to protect elderly residents from being bothered at home. The
ruling is a victory for the Jehovah's Witnesses, whose religion calls
for doorstep proselytizing.

By a vote of 8 to 1, the court reasoned that the First Amendment right
to free speech includes the entitlement to take a message or idea
directly to someone's door, and that the right cannot be limited by a
requirement to register by name ahead of time.

"The mere fact that the ordinance covers so much speech raises
constitutional concerns," Justice John Paul Stevens wrote for himself
and Justices Sandra Day O'Connor, Anthony M. Kennedy, David H. Souter,
Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer.

"It is offensive, not only to the values protected by the First
Amendment, but to the very notion of a free society, that in the context
of everyday public discourse a citizen must first inform the government
of her desire to speak to her neighbors and then obtain a permit to do so."

Two of the court's most conservative justices, Antonin Scalia and
Clarence Thomas, agreed only with the outcome of the case and did not
sign on to Stevens' reasoning.

Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist dissented.

The case is Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York Inc. v.
Village of Stratton, Ohio, et al., 00-1737.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 6:16 PM, GM wrote:
> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 5:59:14 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> "Please show me your peddler's license."
>>>
>>> That lets them know you're willing to call the police on them. They
>>> usually stop when we say that.

>> Our jurisdictions don't require solicitation permits. And the
>> Cities that do, they're being shot down by higher courts. The
>> Supreme Court has ruled that solicitors of any sort are allowed to
>> bug the shit out of you by knocking on you door to deliver any
>> message they want, provided it's a "proper time and place". I shit
>> you not.
>>
>> While you can get somebody for trespassing, that's only after you
>> deliver notice to *specific* individuals witnessed by a Judge or
>> police officer. And only then can subsequent ingresses be
>> prosecutable. And getting a cop out to delver a residential
>> trespass warning and file it is near impossible (around here).
>>
>> The only other way it's prosecutable is if you have a
>> fence/wall/gates and they scale it to get onto your property. But
>> 99.5% of residential areas have laws about front-facing fences,
>> walls, and gates saying that they may only start at the edge of your
>> house (except on a corner lot), leaving street entry open to your
>> front door. And thereby fair game for solicitors. I shit you not
>> again.
>>
>> Is that ****ed up or what? And people wonder why those "no
>> solicitation" signs don't work.
>>
>> I found a loophol,e though. The law regarding it being unlawful to
>> enter "Crime Scene" areas marked by tape or other notices, DOES NOT
>> have a provision saying that it must be placed by an authority to be
>> unlawful to pass. So I'm going to order 7,500 feet of yellow
>> "Crime Scene - DO NOT ENTER" tape. While I only need to wrap it
>> around the front of the house, 7,500 feet is the minimum order. I
>> can sell some to my neighbors at $.03/foot (cost).
>>
>> I should have been a lawyer.
>>
>> -sw

> Naw, sounds like you vote democrat...

He's doing his own form of "community policing"...

;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2021 8:52 AM, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 9:41:04 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
>>> don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
>>> get opened.
>>>
>>> I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
>>> while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
>>> Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
>>> times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
>>> "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
>>> off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
>>> YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
>>> roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
>>> criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
>>> and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
>>> roof last time?"

>> "Please show me your peddler's license."

> You wouldn't say that if it were Publishers Clearing House.

Are they still around?

https://media.pch.com/

Publishers Clearing House is a leading digital entertainment and
commerce destination for millions of US consumers. PCH combines
entertainment and chance to win opportunities to create an environment
where consumers are engaged and ready to take action. Advertisers can
access premium inventory across PCHs entire portfolio of websites and
apps through Publishers Clearing House Media, the digital advertising
arm of PCH.

Lol, yeah, I bet that ain't working so well...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 09:51:17 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>> I should have been a lawyer.

>You would be the best lawyer in the universe as you *ALWAYS* have to win
>and won't give up until you do. lol :-D

Don't you have juries in your country? It might help to be a likeable
person.

--
Not Dave Smith