Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Delicious Dinner in Under 30 Minutes

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 15:44:30 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 8:29:55 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Jun 2021 19:41:26 -0400, Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>> > Not sure how to fit a tenderloin into the AF- might have to be cut in
>> > half just to fit in some of them and I have a 6 qt.
>> >
>> > It's be nice to hear other uses of it. One of its silly pleasures is
>> > how it handles hot dogs. They come out just the way I like them, as if
>> > they were grilled.

>> Which is why I endorse my convection toaster oven in lieu of air
>> fryers. My current one is kinda shitty, but much more versatile than
>> an air fryer since it's flat and rectangular. All metal
>> construction (except maybe some knobs). It sits on a stand in the
>> far corner of the kitchen, which also hold several other things as
>> well as hanging some pans. The pans and racks are removable and
>> washable - just as is in an air fryer. And this one even costs less
>> than an air fryer. But you can get better ones for only slightly
>> more than your average air fryer. And some can get pretty fancy and
>> expensive (like the Breville).
>>

>My issue is with the term, "air fryer." They are mini convection ovens.
>They don't fry. Frying involves immersion in hot fat, vegetable or
>animal, even shallow immersion. The result is very different. One can't
>fry in air any more than one can boil in oil.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>--Bryan

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 17:56:42 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Bryan Simmons wrote:

>>> Which is why I endorse my convection toaster oven in lieu of air
>>> fryers. My current one is kinda shitty, but much more versatile than
>>> an air fryer since it's flat and rectangular. All metal
>>> construction (except maybe some knobs). It sits on a stand in the
>>> far corner of the kitchen, which also hold several other things as
>>> well as hanging some pans. The pans and racks are removable and
>>> washable - just as is in an air fryer. And this one even costs less
>>> than an air fryer. But you can get better ones for only slightly
>>> more than your average air fryer. And some can get pretty fancy and
>>> expensive (like the Breville).
>>>

>> My issue is with the term, "air fryer." They are mini convection ovens.
>> They don't fry. Frying involves immersion in hot fat, vegetable or
>> animal, even shallow immersion. The result is very different. One can't
>> fry in air any more than one can boil in oil.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> --Bryan
>>

>Yes. It's an electric heating element, and a fan blowing over it.
>
>Sold by some TV chef.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 4:42 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 10:12:56 AM UTC-10, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:

>>> I can't say how the new Ford electric F-150 will work in the frozen North but it's certainly rocking the truck world. My guess is that it'll be the "killer app" of the electric vehicle world.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKIRfPjR-To
>>>

>> Ford says they will sell 40% electric vehicles by 2030 - which is not so
>> far off.
>>
>> Who will make 40% more power for our aging and faulty electrical grid
>> and what kind of power will it be with Xiden ****ing all over natural
>> gas and coal?
>>
>> Make book on this - bird killing windmills that ice up and fail and
>> daytime only solar will NOT step in to save the day.
>>
>> Also charging stations that take 30-45 minutes are useless for anyone
>> making a road trip, working delivery, or not charging at home overnight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> On 6/1/2021 10:20 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> > On 6/1/2021 8:00 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> > > On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 19:50:23 -0400, jmcquown

> > > I bought a 2 qt air fryer in order to avoid turning on the oven
> > > at 425 for 20 minutes. Takes half the time and less than half
> > > the power.
> > >

> > I'm thrilled for you. 20 minutes cooking time is fast enough for
> > me and I use the oven year round.

> I agree with you, Jill. I use my oven year round too. No need for
> another gadget (air fryer).

I do have one. It resides on the bottom of the kitchen island shelf.
I got a very small one for a fast way to fix a limited set of things.
Crispy French Fries and Tater Tots. Could also do a few other things.

It only holds about 3 cups but it's also not a monster to store. I use
it about once a month maybe. It does what I wanted well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 16:19:30 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 18:41:38 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 17:31:16 -0400, jmcquown >
>>wrote:

>>>I could be very wrong but didn't you post pictures at one point where
>>>yes, it's galley style but you can see through to the next room?
>>>
>>>Jill

>>I have posted pics of things I cooked, mostly in the kitchen, but not
>>of the kitchen.

>I thought you did. Facing in to a corner of the kitchen. Must have
>been someone else
>Janet US

Usually when I remembered to do it, whatever it was was on the stove
top

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 16:21:11 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 07:46:06 +1000, Dave Smith >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 18:39:46 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>>>Friends calling past unexpectedly are my delight - I love to see them.
>>>I'm glad I'm all done with 50-60s protocols.

>>What are 50-60s protocols?
>>
>>-
>>Not Dave Smith

>Miss Manners
>Janet US

Perfect!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 19:23:44 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-06-03 8:19 a.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>> On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 04:53:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>>> Or, you could offer simple hospitality.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> I love that my friends feel permitted to drop by, wouldn't dream of
>> suggesting they bring food with them. If all else fails there will at
>> least be cashews in the cupboard. Don't you have good friends who can
>> drop by?
>>

>I would not consider someone to be a good friend if they were not
>welcome to drop by, and I would be able to drop in on them.

In years gone past we used to be more formal, even did elaborate
dinner parties but we are all agreed now, to hell with that, we're too
old to be bothered. Just like to see each other - call past - luck of
the gods what nibbles may be available but there will always be a nice
glass of red or white
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 09:25:59 +1000, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 16:21:11 -0600, US Janet >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 07:46:06 +1000, Dave Smith >
>>wrote:

>>>What are 50-60s protocols?
>>>
>>>-
>>>Not Dave Smith

>>Miss Manners

>Oh, thanks. 50s-60s as in those decades. Not covid related as in
>protocol 50 - face mask, protocol 60 - 1.5m distance etc.

Yeah that probably is the 'new' protocol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 21:09:25 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 16:21:11 -0600, US Janet >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 07:46:06 +1000, Dave Smith >
>>wrote:

>>>What are 50-60s protocols?
>>>
>>>-
>>>Not Dave Smith

>>Miss Manners
>>Janet US

>Perfect!

Except that Miss Manners started her column in 1978. But I got the
idea.

--
Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 6:19 PM, US Janet wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 18:41:38 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 17:31:16 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> I could be very wrong but didn't you post pictures at one point where
>>> yes, it's galley style but you can see through to the next room?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I have posted pics of things I cooked, mostly in the kitchen, but not
>> of the kitchen.

> I thought you did. Facing in to a corner of the kitchen. Must have
> been someone else
> Janet US

If I'm mistaken, I apologize. I thought I saw at least a view to a room
with some windows from the kitchen.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 6:21 PM, US Janet wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 07:46:06 +1000, Dave Smith >
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 18:39:46 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
>> > wrote:

>>> Friends calling past unexpectedly are my delight - I love to see them.
>>> I'm glad I'm all done with 50-60s protocols.

>> What are 50-60s protocols?
>>
>> -
>> Not Dave Smith

> Miss Manners
> Janet US

LOL I don't know what 50-60s "protocols" were. Telephoning ahead not
only ensures the person will be home but you won't interrupt something
else that might be going on. It's not rude, it's considerate. Maybe
whoever it is just got out of the shower. They might not want to answer
the door wearing a bathrobe with their hair in a towel. That would be
me. CALL FIRST, please!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 20:37:42 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/3/2021 6:21 PM, US Janet wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 07:46:06 +1000, Dave Smith >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 18:39:46 -0300, Lucretia Borgia

>>> What are 50-60s protocols?
>>>
>>> -
>>> Not Dave Smith

>> Miss Manners
>> Janet US
>>

>LOL I don't know what 50-60s "protocols" were. Telephoning ahead not
>only ensures the person will be home but you won't interrupt something
>else that might be going on. It's not rude, it's considerate. Maybe
>whoever it is just got out of the shower. They might not want to answer
>the door wearing a bathrobe with their hair in a towel. That would be
>me. CALL FIRST, please!
>
>Jill

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 10:23:49 +1000, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 21:09:25 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 16:21:11 -0600, US Janet >
>>wrote:

>>>Miss Manners
>>>Janet US

>>Perfect!

>Except that Miss Manners started her column in 1978. But I got the
>idea.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 19:08:15 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:

>Gary wrote:

>> > I'm thrilled for you. 20 minutes cooking time is fast enough for
>> > me and I use the oven year round.

>> I agree with you, Jill. I use my oven year round too. No need for
>> another gadget (air fryer).

>I do have one. It resides on the bottom of the kitchen island shelf.
>I got a very small one for a fast way to fix a limited set of things.
>Crispy French Fries and Tater Tots. Could also do a few other things.
>
>It only holds about 3 cups but it's also not a monster to store. I use
>it about once a month maybe. It does what I wanted well.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 17:01:16 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 6/3/2021 4:42 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Ford says they will sell 40% electric vehicles by 2030 - which is not so
>>> far off.
>>>
>>> Who will make 40% more power for our aging and faulty electrical grid
>>> and what kind of power will it be with Xiden ****ing all over natural
>>> gas and coal?
>>>
>>> Make book on this - bird killing windmills that ice up and fail and
>>> daytime only solar will NOT step in to save the day.
>>>
>>> Also charging stations that take 30-45 minutes are useless for anyone
>>> making a road trip, working delivery, or not charging at home overnight.
>>>
>>> We're heading for ANOTHER major gubmint-conned "cash for klunkers"
>>> disaster, but this time it will brown out the home power for the rest of
>>> the sheople.
>>>
>>> What say you?

>> If history has taught us anything, it is that people want to buy cars with the latest tech features. They want push-button starts, backup cameras, and touch screens. My guess is that piston engines are going to be as desirable as white-wall tires well before 2030. Gas engines will be seen as an archaic throwback to the past, in much the same way we see the steam engine. Piston engine technology whether internal, or external combustion, is pretty lame anyway i.e., inefficient. This means that we're going to have to build-up a power infrastructure/network in a hurry. My guess is that this means we're going to have to go nuclear. As always, 1 + 1 will always equal 2.
>>

>Around here the fad imposed by the brilliant city thinkers is to remove
>lanes from our roads. They want people to take magic carpets, not drive.

Not Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 20:24:47 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/3/2021 6:19 PM, US Janet wrote:
>> On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 18:41:38 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
>> > wrote:

>>> I have posted pics of things I cooked, mostly in the kitchen, but not
>>> of the kitchen.

>> I thought you did. Facing in to a corner of the kitchen. Must have
>> been someone else
>> Janet US
>>

>If I'm mistaken, I apologize. I thought I saw at least a view to a room
>with some windows from the kitchen.
>
>Jill

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 21:09:25 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 16:21:11 -0600, US Janet >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 07:46:06 +1000, Dave Smith >
>>wrote:

>>>What are 50-60s protocols?
>>>
>>>-
>>>Not Dave Smith

>>Miss Manners
>>Janet US

>Perfect!

Or, did you get to read Ann Landers? )
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 2:01:21 PM UTC-10, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 6/3/2021 4:42 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> Ford says they will sell 40% electric vehicles by 2030 - which is not so
> >> far off.
> >>
> >> Who will make 40% more power for our aging and faulty electrical grid
> >> and what kind of power will it be with Xiden ****ing all over natural
> >> gas and coal?
> >>
> >> Make book on this - bird killing windmills that ice up and fail and
> >> daytime only solar will NOT step in to save the day.
> >>
> >> Also charging stations that take 30-45 minutes are useless for anyone
> >> making a road trip, working delivery, or not charging at home overnight.
> >>
> >> We're heading for ANOTHER major gubmint-conned "cash for klunkers"
> >> disaster, but this time it will brown out the home power for the rest of
> >> the sheople.
> >>
> >> What say you?

> > If history has taught us anything, it is that people want to buy cars with the latest tech features. They want push-button starts, backup cameras, and touch screens. My guess is that piston engines are going to be as desirable as white-wall tires well before 2030. Gas engines will be seen as an archaic throwback to the past, in much the same way we see the steam engine.. Piston engine technology whether internal, or external combustion, is pretty lame anyway i.e., inefficient. This means that we're going to have to build-up a power infrastructure/network in a hurry. My guess is that this means we're going to have to go nuclear. As always, 1 + 1 will always equal 2..
> >

> Around here the fad imposed by the brilliant city thinkers is to remove
> lanes from our roads. They want people to take magic carpets, not drive.

Around here, they added an extra lane on the freeway. Boy, they're narrow! I suppose they want to make better drivers of us all. Sometimes it feels like we're in an F1 race.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 18:11:35 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 2:01:21 PM UTC-10, Taxed and Spent wrote:

>> > If history has taught us anything, it is that people want to buy cars with the latest tech features. They want push-button starts, backup cameras, and touch screens. My guess is that piston engines are going to be as desirable as white-wall tires well before 2030. Gas engines will be seen as an archaic throwback to the past, in much the same way we see the steam engine. Piston engine technology whether internal, or external combustion, is pretty lame anyway i.e., inefficient. This means that we're going to have to build-up a power infrastructure/network in a hurry. My guess is that this means we're going to have to go nuclear. As always, 1 + 1 will always equal 2.
>> >

>> Around here the fad imposed by the brilliant city thinkers is to remove
>> lanes from our roads. They want people to take magic carpets, not drive.

>Around here, they added an extra lane on the freeway. Boy, they're narrow! I suppose they want to make better drivers of us all. Sometimes it feels like we're in an F1 race.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 09:03:18 +0800, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 20:24:47 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 6/3/2021 6:19 PM, US Janet wrote:
>>> On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 18:41:38 -0300, Lucretia Borgia

>>> I thought you did. Facing in to a corner of the kitchen. Must have
>>> been someone else
>>> Janet US
>>>

>>If I'm mistaken, I apologize. I thought I saw at least a view to a room
>>with some windows from the kitchen.
>>
>>Jill

>Ask them, theyre here. "You can stop saying that now. Thank you."

Not Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 19:09:01 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 21:09:25 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 16:21:11 -0600, US Janet >
>>wrote:

>>>Miss Manners
>>>Janet US

>>Perfect!

>Or, did you get to read Ann Landers? )
>Janet US

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 21:14:21 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 09:25:59 +1000, Dave Smith >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 16:21:11 -0600, US Janet >
>>wrote:

>>>Miss Manners

>>Oh, thanks. 50s-60s as in those decades. Not covid related as in
>>protocol 50 - face mask, protocol 60 - 1.5m distance etc.

>Yeah that probably is the 'new' protocol.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 21:09:25 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 16:21:11 -0600, US Janet >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 07:46:06 +1000, Dave Smith >
>>wrote:

>>>What are 50-60s protocols?
>>>
>>>-
>>>Not Dave Smith

>>Miss Manners
>>Janet US

>Perfect!

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 09:18:15 +0800, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 09:03:18 +0800, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 20:24:47 -0400, jmcquown >
>>wrote:

>>>If I'm mistaken, I apologize. I thought I saw at least a view to a room
>>>with some windows from the kitchen.
>>>
>>>Jill

>>Ask them, theyre here. "You can stop saying that now. Thank you."

>Ask them, theyre here. "You can stop saying that now. Thank you."

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 21:13:42 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 19:23:44 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On 2021-06-03 8:19 a.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>> On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 04:53:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>>> I love that my friends feel permitted to drop by, wouldn't dream of
>>> suggesting they bring food with them. If all else fails there will at
>>> least be cashews in the cupboard. Don't you have good friends who can
>>> drop by?
>>>

>>I would not consider someone to be a good friend if they were not
>>welcome to drop by, and I would be able to drop in on them.

>In years gone past we used to be more formal, even did elaborate
>dinner parties but we are all agreed now, to hell with that, we're too
>old to be bothered. Just like to see each other - call past - luck of
>the gods what nibbles may be available but there will always be a nice
>glass of red or white

Not Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 21:08:57 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 16:19:30 -0600, US Janet >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 18:41:38 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>>>I have posted pics of things I cooked, mostly in the kitchen, but not
>>>of the kitchen.

>>I thought you did. Facing in to a corner of the kitchen. Must have
>>been someone else
>>Janet US

>Usually when I remembered to do it, whatever it was was on the stove
>top

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 6/3/2021 6:21 PM, US Janet wrote:
>>
>> Miss Manners
>> Janet US
>>

>LOL I don't know what 50-60s "protocols" were. Telephoning ahead not
>only ensures the person will be home but you won't interrupt something
>else that might be going on. It's not rude, it's considerate. Maybe
>whoever it is just got out of the shower. They might not want to answer
>the door wearing a bathrobe with their hair in a towel. That would be
>me. CALL FIRST, please!

Seems to me that when the door bell rings, you're not obliged to open
the door. It's a request, not an order. If you're not "dressed", you
just don't open the door.

--
Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 12:09:06 +1000, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 20:37:42 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 6/3/2021 6:21 PM, US Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> Miss Manners
>>> Janet US
>>>

>>LOL I don't know what 50-60s "protocols" were. Telephoning ahead not
>>only ensures the person will be home but you won't interrupt something
>>else that might be going on. It's not rude, it's considerate. Maybe
>>whoever it is just got out of the shower. They might not want to answer
>>the door wearing a bathrobe with their hair in a towel. That would be
>>me. CALL FIRST, please!

>Seems to me that when the door bell rings, you're not obliged to open
>the door. It's a request, not an order. If you're not "dressed", you
>just don't open the door.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 8:01:21 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 6/3/2021 4:42 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> Ford says they will sell 40% electric vehicles by 2030 - which is not so
> >> far off.
> >>
> >> Who will make 40% more power for our aging and faulty electrical grid
> >> and what kind of power will it be with Xiden ****ing all over natural
> >> gas and coal?
> >>
> >> Make book on this - bird killing windmills that ice up and fail and
> >> daytime only solar will NOT step in to save the day.
> >>
> >> Also charging stations that take 30-45 minutes are useless for anyone
> >> making a road trip, working delivery, or not charging at home overnight.
> >>
> >> We're heading for ANOTHER major gubmint-conned "cash for klunkers"
> >> disaster, but this time it will brown out the home power for the rest of
> >> the sheople.
> >>
> >> What say you?

> > If history has taught us anything, it is that people want to buy cars with the latest tech features. They want push-button starts, backup cameras, and touch screens. My guess is that piston engines are going to be as desirable as white-wall tires well before 2030. Gas engines will be seen as an archaic throwback to the past, in much the same way we see the steam engine.. Piston engine technology whether internal, or external combustion, is pretty lame anyway i.e., inefficient. This means that we're going to have to build-up a power infrastructure/network in a hurry. My guess is that this means we're going to have to go nuclear. As always, 1 + 1 will always equal 2..
> >

> Around here the fad imposed by the brilliant city thinkers is to remove
> lanes from our roads. They want people to take magic carpets, not drive.

Where "magic carpets" = "bicycles" ?

If I had $1 subtracted from my checking account for every time I've seen
someone in a bike lane on my regular routes, I doubt I'd notice I was any
poorer.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 8:01 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> It sounds like kitchen myths your [grand]mothers passed down to you
> without much science behind it. The oven isn't exactly a forced-air
> furnace. Undisturbed heat rises pretty quickly while you spend most
> of your time indoors in the lower 3/5ths of the space between your
> feet and the ceiling.

I didn't spend a lot of time with my grandmothers, I rarely saw them.
So no, they didn't pass that myth down to me. My mother didn't, either.
I'm pretty sure I first heard of such a thing on RFC. I never pay any
attention to it. I use the oven year round, depending upon what I'm
cooking.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> Friends calling past unexpectedly are my delight - I love to see them.
> I'm glad I'm all done with 50-60s protocols.

You will always be well remembered. Always a friendly welcome to your
home. Good for you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> As always, 1 + 1 will always equal 2.

Not in a young marriage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 7:26 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 6/2/2021 4:58 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I'd be willing to give one a go, but I simply don't have room on
>>> counter or in cupboards
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> That's precisely the reason I don't try one. No good place to put it.
>> As I just mentioned in my reply to Gary, mine is not an "open concept"
>> kitchen. Using the oven doesn't heat up the rest of the house the way
>> it might if it were open to the dining/living area.

> Well, I *do* have an "open kitchen." Two opening and no doors.
> On cold days, the oven adds some heat and good smells.
> On mild days, my east&west windows/doors let the heat escape.
> On hot days, the air conditioner easily takes care of the oven heat.

That's my preferred method as well... I'd hate an "open concept"
kitchen, where one cannot separate heat/cooking smells from the rest of
the house in the summer.

I have yet to install my window A/C unit. I suppose we'll see how
miserable it gets in the next month. Still better than snow!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 3:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> My friends don't just drop by without calling first (and vice versa).

You have very mannerly pigeons, most demand food before showing up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 3:41 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 17:31:16 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/2/2021 7:54 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

>>> I don't think you've seen my kitchen, it's a galley kitchen, not 'open
>>> concept' lol

>> I could be very wrong but didn't you post pictures at one point where
>> yes, it's galley style but you can see through to the next room?
>>
>> Jill

> I have posted pics of things I cooked, mostly in the kitchen, but not
> of the kitchen.

https://geekologie.com/2014/10/31/rat-meatloaf-1.jpg

delish!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 3:40 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 1:15:58 PM UTC-4, wolfy's new skateboard
>> wrote:

>>> Too busy making fun of dead people and trying to get rid of stinky
>>> restaurants?

>> I don't need friends.* I have you, darlin'
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> Wolfy's new Buttplug is falling for you.
>
> Wash him off if you let him come in, Cindy.

She's busy on the campaign trail right now...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-sex-toy-video
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 4:18 PM, US Janet wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 14:12:51 -0600, wolfy's new skateboard
> > wrote:

>>> I can't say how the new Ford electric F-150 will work in the frozen North but it's certainly rocking the truck world. My guess is that it'll be the "killer app" of the electric vehicle world.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKIRfPjR-To
>>>

>> Ford says they will sell 40% electric vehicles by 2030 - which is not so
>> far off.
>>
>> Who will make 40% more power for our aging and faulty electrical grid
>> and what kind of power will it be with Xiden ****ing all over natural
>> gas and coal?
>>
>> Make book on this - bird killing windmills that ice up and fail and
>> daytime only solar will NOT step in to save the day.
>>
>> Also charging stations that take 30-45 minutes are useless for anyone
>> making a road trip, working delivery, or not charging at home overnight.
>>
>> We're heading for ANOTHER major gubmint-conned "cash for klunkers"
>> disaster, but this time it will brown out the home power for the rest of
>> the sheople.
>>
>> What say you?

> We coould start with infrastructure improvements and employ workers at
> the same time.

From the same CCP friendly "logic" Xiden tendered when he told us that
the "new economy" for oil workers would consist of them capping wells?

Yeah, that's a one time gig, now isn't it?

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...ines-oil-wells

Biden said last week he wants to put pipefitters and miners to work
capping the wells at the same price that they would charge to dig those
wells.

Many of the old wells and mines are located in rural communities that
have been hard-hit by the pandemic. Bidens plan would not only create
jobs, but help reduce methane and brine leaks that pollute the air and
groundwater. Methane is a powerful contributor to global warming.

> But, you know, everybody talks about, campaigns about
> it, but then there is no support in Congress for it. Thank you
> McConnell
> Janet US

McConnell is for capping wells?

And if not that's a "bad thing" in your estimation?

Huh.

Now tell us how our aging grid can handle about 40% more users than it
has now?

And please, use facts and numbers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 4:44 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 8:29:55 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Jun 2021 19:41:26 -0400, Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>>> Not sure how to fit a tenderloin into the AF- might have to be cut in
>>> half just to fit in some of them and I have a 6 qt.
>>>
>>> It's be nice to hear other uses of it. One of its silly pleasures is
>>> how it handles hot dogs. They come out just the way I like them, as if
>>> they were grilled.

>> Which is why I endorse my convection toaster oven in lieu of air
>> fryers. My current one is kinda shitty, but much more versatile than
>> an air fryer since it's flat and rectangular. All metal
>> construction (except maybe some knobs). It sits on a stand in the
>> far corner of the kitchen, which also hold several other things as
>> well as hanging some pans. The pans and racks are removable and
>> washable - just as is in an air fryer. And this one even costs less
>> than an air fryer. But you can get better ones for only slightly
>> more than your average air fryer. And some can get pretty fancy and
>> expensive (like the Breville).
>>

> My issue is with the term, "air fryer." They are mini convection ovens.
> They don't fry. Frying involves immersion in hot fat, vegetable or
> animal, even shallow immersion. The result is very different. One can't
> fry in air any more than one can boil in oil.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> --Bryan

OBVIOUSLY the name is metaphorical, not literal.

Ever cook with a "radar range" - how many bogies did you heat up?

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...20170103043919
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 5:28 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 15:44:30 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 8:29:55 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>>>>
>>> Which is why I endorse my convection toaster oven in lieu of air
>>> fryers. My current one is kinda shitty, but much more versatile than
>>> an air fryer since it's flat and rectangular. All metal
>>> construction (except maybe some knobs). It sits on a stand in the
>>> far corner of the kitchen, which also hold several other things as
>>> well as hanging some pans. The pans and racks are removable and
>>> washable - just as is in an air fryer. And this one even costs less
>>> than an air fryer. But you can get better ones for only slightly
>>> more than your average air fryer. And some can get pretty fancy and
>>> expensive (like the Breville).
>>>

>> My issue is with the term, "air fryer." They are mini convection ovens.
>> They don't fry. Frying involves immersion in hot fat, vegetable or
>> animal, even shallow immersion. The result is very different. One can't
>> fry in air any more than one can boil in oil.

> It's not stranger than calling an egg shaped object a ball.

https://3boysandadog.com/wp-content/...l-meatloaf.gif

Ready...set...OMAHA!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 6:01 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 6/3/2021 4:42 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 10:12:56 AM UTC-10, wolfy's new
>> skateboard wrote:

>>> Ford says they will sell 40% electric vehicles by 2030 - which is not so
>>> far off.
>>>
>>> Who will make 40% more power for our aging and faulty electrical grid
>>> and what kind of power will it be with Xiden ****ing all over natural
>>> gas and coal?
>>>
>>> Make book on this - bird killing windmills that ice up and fail and
>>> daytime only solar will NOT step in to save the day.
>>>
>>> Also charging stations that take 30-45 minutes are useless for anyone
>>> making a road trip, working delivery, or not charging at home overnight.
>>>
>>> We're heading for ANOTHER major gubmint-conned "cash for klunkers"
>>> disaster, but this time it will brown out the home power for the rest of
>>> the sheople.
>>>
>>> What say you?

>> If history has taught us anything, it is that people want to buy cars
>> with the latest tech features. They want push-button starts, backup
>> cameras, and touch screens. My guess is that piston engines are going
>> to be as desirable as white-wall tires well before 2030.* Gas engines
>> will be seen as an archaic throwback to the past, in much the same way
>> we see the steam engine. Piston engine technology whether internal, or
>> external combustion, is pretty lame anyway i.e., inefficient. This
>> means that we're going to have to build-up a power
>> infrastructure/network in a hurry. My guess is that this means we're
>> going to have to go nuclear. As always, 1 + 1 will always equal 2.
>>

> Around here the fad imposed by the brilliant city thinkers is to remove
> lanes from our roads.* They want people to take magic carpets, not drive.

Do tell, and where is this happening?

Cali-phonyland perhaps?