Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Homemade Beet Extract

I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
homemade variety.

I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.

On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.

Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?

--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 04:07:10 -0700, Daniel > wrote:

>I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>homemade variety.
>
>I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>
>On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>
>Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?

Pickled beets are good but Harvard Beets are better. However for the
best benefit healthwise make Borscht. About once a week I'll open a
can of sliced beets, sip out some liquid, add a Tbls of vinegar, a tsp
of sugar, and some sn'p... eat the beets and drink the juice directly
from the can, only need to wash a fork.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 04:07:10 -0700, Daniel > wrote:

>I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>homemade variety.
>
>I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>
>On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>
>Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 04:07:10 -0700, Daniel > wrote:

>I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>homemade variety.
>
>I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>
>On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>
>Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?

What benefits do you seek? What does the juicing or powder creation
provide? I would think juicing can be done raw, but how is the powder
made?

It'd be a tad tricky to take the specifics attributed (some very
interesting, others not always scientifically verified) to beets in
general, then isolate each of them after long, slow heating. This is
especially true as many of these "benefits" are claimed to accrue over
long term use, rather than just being vitamin/mineral content. You can
certainly look up individual vitamins/mineral you feel are in the
beets and check out their extended heat sensitivities.

I happen to like beets - at least in salads, borscht or pickled, but
they are a bother to deal with in prep.

General article here, but stuff is all over the place and even in a
respected publication, some of the claims are not substantiated in a
scientific way. That could just be the write-up, though.

https://www.consumerreports.org/heal...-good-for-you/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 08:38:27 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 04:07:10 -0700, Daniel > wrote:
>
>>I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>>stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>>homemade variety.
>>
>>I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>>did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>>to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>>is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>
>>On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>>low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>>fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>
>>Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?

>Pickled beets are good but Harvard Beets are better. However for the
>best benefit healthwise make Borscht. About once a week I'll open a
>can of sliced beets, sip out some liquid, add a Tbls of vinegar, a tsp
>of sugar, and some sn'p... eat the beets and drink the juice directly
>from the can, only need to wash a fork.

The other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 08:59:05 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 04:07:10 -0700, Daniel > wrote:
>
>>I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>>stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>>homemade variety.
>>
>>I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>>did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>>to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>>is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>
>>On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>>low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>>fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>
>>Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?

>What benefits do you seek? What does the juicing or powder creation
>provide? I would think juicing can be done raw, but how is the powder
>made?
>
>It'd be a tad tricky to take the specifics attributed (some very
>interesting, others not always scientifically verified) to beets in
>general, then isolate each of them after long, slow heating. This is
>especially true as many of these "benefits" are claimed to accrue over
>long term use, rather than just being vitamin/mineral content. You can
>certainly look up individual vitamins/mineral you feel are in the
>beets and check out their extended heat sensitivities.
>
>I happen to like beets - at least in salads, borscht or pickled, but
>they are a bother to deal with in prep.
>
>General article here, but stuff is all over the place and even in a
>respected publication, some of the claims are not substantiated in a
>scientific way. That could just be the write-up, though.
>
>https://www.consumerreports.org/heal...-good-for-you/

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 7:07:16 AM UTC-4, Daniel wrote:
> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
> homemade variety.
>
> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>
> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>
> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?

Eat the beets. Benefit from the fiber.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 06:22:29 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 7:07:16 AM UTC-4, Daniel wrote:
>> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>> homemade variety.
>>
>> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>
>> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>
>> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?

>Eat the beets. Benefit from the fiber.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2021 6:22 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 7:07:16 AM UTC-4, Daniel wrote:
>> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>> homemade variety.
>>
>> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>
>> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>
>> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?

> Eat the beets. Benefit from the fiber.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

"Eat the Beets". Sounds like a bumper sticker.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 08:59:05 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 04:07:10 -0700, Daniel > wrote:
>
>>I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>>stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>>homemade variety.
>>
>>I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>>did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>>to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>>is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>
>>On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>>low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>>fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>
>>Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?

>What benefits do you seek? What does the juicing or powder creation
>provide? I would think juicing can be done raw, but how is the powder
>made?
>
>It'd be a tad tricky to take the specifics attributed (some very
>interesting, others not always scientifically verified) to beets in
>general, then isolate each of them after long, slow heating. This is
>especially true as many of these "benefits" are claimed to accrue over
>long term use, rather than just being vitamin/mineral content. You can
>certainly look up individual vitamins/mineral you feel are in the
>beets and check out their extended heat sensitivities.
>
>I happen to like beets - at least in salads, borscht or pickled, but
>they are a bother to deal with in prep.

With canned beets there's no prep other than using a can opener.
I like beets, I buy them by the case.

>General article here, but stuff is all over the place and even in a
>respected publication, some of the claims are not substantiated in a
>scientific way. That could just be the write-up, though.
>
>https://www.consumerreports.org/heal...-good-for-you/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> Eat the beets. Benefit from the fiber.

yeah, makes no sense to me to go through all that BS to get
beet extract to then ingest.

beets are easily pickled and very tasty, i steam them with
plenty of chopped onions and then use the juice from steaming
with the added vinegar, sugar and water to get the right
flavor.

i used to eat a lot of these and have made hundreds of
quarts.

plain beets are ok too, but they need a pressure canner
to do them safely - at least with pickled beets you can
avoid that.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2021 7:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
> homemade variety.
>
> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>
> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>
> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?

Sorry, I can't help you. I'm not convinced beets are some sort of
wonderful dietery daily healthful supplement. Sounds like you're buying
into some sort of weird diet fad thing.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2021 10:59 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/1/2021 7:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>> homemade variety.
>>
>> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>
>> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>
>> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?
>>

> Sorry, I can't help you.
> Jill

So why even respond, attention whore?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2021 7:18 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 08:59:05 -0400, Boron Elgar
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 04:07:10 -0700, Daniel > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>>> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>>> homemade variety.
>>>
>>> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>>> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>>> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>>> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>>
>>> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>>> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>>> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>>
>>> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?

>> What benefits do you seek? What does the juicing or powder creation
>> provide? I would think juicing can be done raw, but how is the powder
>> made?
>>
>> It'd be a tad tricky to take the specifics attributed (some very
>> interesting, others not always scientifically verified) to beets in
>> general, then isolate each of them after long, slow heating. This is
>> especially true as many of these "benefits" are claimed to accrue over
>> long term use, rather than just being vitamin/mineral content. You can
>> certainly look up individual vitamins/mineral you feel are in the
>> beets and check out their extended heat sensitivities.
>>
>> I happen to like beets - at least in salads, borscht or pickled, but
>> they are a bother to deal with in prep.

> With canned beets there's no prep other than using a can opener.
> I like beets, I buy them by the case.

I don't eat "mystery beets".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 10:59:15 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/1/2021 7:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>> homemade variety.
>>
>> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>
>> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>
>> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?
>>

>Sorry, I can't help you. I'm not convinced beets are some sort of
>wonderful dietery daily healthful supplement. Sounds like you're buying
>into some sort of weird diet fad thing.
>
>Jill

I don't think beets are more healthful than many other vegetables
but still I happen to like them, I enjoy their texture and they make a
colorful accompaniment to otherwise drab/blase foods. Beets are also
very easy to obtain, they are sold canned at most any store.
Chard is much easier to grow than spinach... spinach is a magnet for
sand. Chard is also a good landscaping plant, it can grow quite large
like a shrub and in several color combos. But mostly chard is easy to
harvest and is very good in salads.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2021 7:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
> homemade variety.
>
> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>
> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>
> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?

My only experience is using beet juice to color Easter eggs. Ate the
beets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2021 11:10 AM, Mike Hunt wrote:
> On 6/1/2021 10:59 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 6/1/2021 7:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
>>> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>>> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>>> homemade variety.
>>>
>>> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>>> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>>> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>>> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>>
>>> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>>> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>>> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>>
>>> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?
>>>

>> Sorry, I can't help you. Jill
> >

> So why even respond, attention whore?

I had a vegetarian girlfriend who was into BDSM, she did not carrot all
if I beet her.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 12:00:35 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 10:59:15 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 6/1/2021 7:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
>>> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>>> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>>> homemade variety.
>>>
>>> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>>> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>>> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>>> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>>
>>> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>>> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>>> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>>
>>> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?
>>>

>>Sorry, I can't help you. I'm not convinced beets are some sort of
>>wonderful dietery daily healthful supplement. Sounds like you're buying
>>into some sort of weird diet fad thing.
>>
>>Jill

>I don't think beets are more healthful than many other vegetables
>but still I happen to like them, I enjoy their texture and they make a
>colorful accompaniment to otherwise drab/blase foods. Beets are also
>very easy to obtain, they are sold canned at most any store.
>Chard is much easier to grow than spinach... spinach is a magnet for
>sand. Chard is also a good landscaping plant, it can grow quite large
>like a shrub and in several color combos. But mostly chard is easy to
>harvest and is very good in salads.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 11:10:55 -0400, Mike Hunt >
wrote:

>On 6/1/2021 10:59 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 6/1/2021 7:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
>>> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>>> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>>> homemade variety.
>>>
>>> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>>> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>>> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>>> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>>
>>> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>>> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>>> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>>
>>> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?
>>>

>> Sorry, I can't help you.
>> Jill
> >

>So why even respond, attention whore?

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 6/1/2021 7:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>> homemade variety.
>>
>> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>
>> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>
>> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?
>>

>Sorry, I can't help you. I'm not convinced beets are some sort of
>wonderful dietery daily healthful supplement. Sounds like you're buying
>into some sort of weird diet fad thing.
>
>Jill

The other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 12:33:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/1/2021 7:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>> homemade variety.
>>
>> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>
>> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>
>> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?
>>

>My only experience is using beet juice to color Easter eggs. Ate the
>beets.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 14:08:30 -0400, Glen Tuttle
> wrote:

>On 6/1/2021 11:10 AM, Mike Hunt wrote:

>>> Sorry, I can't help you. Jill
>> >

>> So why even respond, attention whore?
> >

>I had a vegetarian girlfriend who was into BDSM, she did not carrot all
>if I beet her.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 08:41:39 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 6/1/2021 7:18 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 08:59:05 -0400, Boron Elgar
>> > wrote:

>>> What benefits do you seek? What does the juicing or powder creation
>>> provide? I would think juicing can be done raw, but how is the powder
>>> made?
>>>
>>> It'd be a tad tricky to take the specifics attributed (some very
>>> interesting, others not always scientifically verified) to beets in
>>> general, then isolate each of them after long, slow heating. This is
>>> especially true as many of these "benefits" are claimed to accrue over
>>> long term use, rather than just being vitamin/mineral content. You can
>>> certainly look up individual vitamins/mineral you feel are in the
>>> beets and check out their extended heat sensitivities.
>>>
>>> I happen to like beets - at least in salads, borscht or pickled, but
>>> they are a bother to deal with in prep.

>> With canned beets there's no prep other than using a can opener.
>> I like beets, I buy them by the case.
>>

>I don't eat "mystery beets".

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 10:18:18 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 08:59:05 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 04:07:10 -0700, Daniel > wrote:
>>
>>>I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>>>stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>>>homemade variety.
>>>
>>>I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>>>did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>>>to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>>>is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>>
>>>On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>>>low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>>>fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>>
>>>Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?

>>What benefits do you seek? What does the juicing or powder creation
>>provide? I would think juicing can be done raw, but how is the powder
>>made?
>>
>>It'd be a tad tricky to take the specifics attributed (some very
>>interesting, others not always scientifically verified) to beets in
>>general, then isolate each of them after long, slow heating. This is
>>especially true as many of these "benefits" are claimed to accrue over
>>long term use, rather than just being vitamin/mineral content. You can
>>certainly look up individual vitamins/mineral you feel are in the
>>beets and check out their extended heat sensitivities.
>>
>>I happen to like beets - at least in salads, borscht or pickled, but
>>they are a bother to deal with in prep.

>With canned beets there's no prep other than using a can opener.
>I like beets, I buy them by the case.
>
>>General article here, but stuff is all over the place and even in a
>>respected publication, some of the claims are not substantiated in a
>>scientific way. That could just be the write-up, though.
>>
>>https://www.consumerreports.org/heal...-good-for-you/

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 07:09:58 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 6/1/2021 6:22 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 7:07:16 AM UTC-4, Daniel wrote:
>>> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>>> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>>> homemade variety.
>>>
>>> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>>> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>>> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>>> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>>
>>> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>>> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>>> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>>
>>> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?

>> Eat the beets. Benefit from the fiber.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>"Eat the Beets". Sounds like a bumper sticker.

The other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 10:54:45 -0400, songbird >
wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> Eat the beets. Benefit from the fiber.

> yeah, makes no sense to me to go through all that BS to get
>beet extract to then ingest.
>
> beets are easily pickled and very tasty, i steam them with
>plenty of chopped onions and then use the juice from steaming
>with the added vinegar, sugar and water to get the right
>flavor.
>
> i used to eat a lot of these and have made hundreds of
>quarts.
>
> plain beets are ok too, but they need a pressure canner
>to do them safely - at least with pickled beets you can
>avoid that.
>

> songbird

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 6/1/2021 7:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>> homemade variety.
>>
>> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>
>> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>
>> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?
>>

>Sorry, I can't help you. I'm not convinced beets are some sort of
>wonderful dietery daily healthful supplement. Sounds like you're buying
>into some sort of weird diet fad thing.

I bet they're a super food. They were a 100 years ago, they are today
and they will be in 100 years. Not exactly a fad. Not that you have to
eat every single super food.

--
The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike Hunt > writes:

> On 6/1/2021 10:59 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 6/1/2021 7:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
>>> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>>> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>>> homemade variety.
>>>
>>> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>>> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>>> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>>> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>>
>>> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>>> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>>> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>>
>>> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?
>>>

>> Sorry, I can't help you. Jill
>>

> So why even respond, attention whore?

You nailed it. It seems to be the preferred method to respond with a
prickly attitude than to not reply at all. Also, bad assumptions
abound.

--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > writes:

> On 6/1/2021 7:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>> homemade variety.
>>
>> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>
>> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>
>> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?
>>

> Sorry, I can't help you. I'm not convinced beets are some sort of
> wonderful dietery daily healthful supplement. Sounds like you're
> buying into some sort of weird diet fad thing.

You started off by saying you can't help. You followed with a
declaration about efficacy after stating you don't know anything. Then
you made a false assumption about me. You clearly proved your point on
not being helpful.

Are you this toxic in person too? I bet you'd be fun on a very short
date.

--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glen Tuttle > writes:

> On 6/1/2021 11:10 AM, Mike Hunt wrote:

>>> Sorry, I can't help you. Jill
>> >

>> So why even respond, attention whore?
>>

> I had a vegetarian girlfriend who was into BDSM, she did not carrot
> all if I beet her.

Heh

--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 13:11:28 -0700, Daniel > wrote:

>jmcquown > writes:
>
>> On 6/1/2021 7:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
>>> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>>> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>>> homemade variety.
>>>
>>> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>>> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>>> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>>> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>>
>>> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>>> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>>> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>>
>>> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?
>>>

>> Sorry, I can't help you. I'm not convinced beets are some sort of
>> wonderful dietery daily healthful supplement. Sounds like you're
>> buying into some sort of weird diet fad thing.

>You started off by saying you can't help. You followed with a
>declaration about efficacy after stating you don't know anything. Then
>you made a false assumption about me. You clearly proved your point on
>not being helpful.
>
>Are you this toxic in person too? I bet you'd be fun on a very short
>date.

She'd start the date by telling you that your lawn's too small.

--
The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 9:51:05 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 10:59:15 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
> >On 6/1/2021 7:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
> >> I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
> >> stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
> >> homemade variety.
> >>
> >> I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
> >> did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
> >> to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
> >> is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
> >>
> >> On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
> >> low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
> >> fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
> >>
> >> Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?
> >>

> >Sorry, I can't help you. I'm not convinced beets are some sort of
> >wonderful dietery daily healthful supplement. Sounds like you're buying
> >into some sort of weird diet fad thing.

> I bet they're a super food. They were a 100 years ago, they are today
> and they will be in 100 years. Not exactly a fad. Not that you have to
> eat every single super food.
> --
> The other Dave Smith.

I'll bet you can prolong your life by a few hours simply by eating only superfoods - but you have to start eating them right away. My guess is that in the future, we won't have to be eating all that crappy food - we'll just take anti-aging pills.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31405774/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 13:21:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 9:51:05 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 10:59:15 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> >Sorry, I can't help you. I'm not convinced beets are some sort of
>> >wonderful dietery daily healthful supplement. Sounds like you're buying
>> >into some sort of weird diet fad thing.

>> I bet they're a super food. They were a 100 years ago, they are today
>> and they will be in 100 years. Not exactly a fad. Not that you have to
>> eat every single super food.
>> --
>> The other Dave Smith.

>I'll bet you can prolong your life by a few hours simply by eating only superfoods - but you have to start eating them right away. My guess is that in the future, we won't have to be eating all that crappy food - we'll just take anti-aging pills.

Will there be xanthan gum in them?

--
The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar > writes:

> On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 04:07:10 -0700, Daniel > wrote:
>
>>I'm researching the addition of beet extract to my daily supplement
>>stack. Online offerings aren't that expensive but began considering a
>>homemade variety.
>>
>>I went to the store and found beets priced rather inexpensively. So, I
>>did some cursory searching for homemade techniques. Most articles point
>>to making the juice. A few pointed to making the powder. What I'd like
>>is a reduced/sticky solution at the end.
>>
>>On initial thought, juicing some of the beats and reducing the juice at
>>low heat to reduce the water content came to mind. But, doing this I
>>fear will destroy some of the beneficial aspect of the vegetable.
>>
>>Any experiences out there to share on this, by chance?

> What benefits do you seek? What does the juicing or powder creation
> provide? I would think juicing can be done raw, but how is the powder
> made?

Thanks for replying and offering help. I intend to juice the vegetables
raw. From the techniques I've read on powder, it matches the techniques
one would use for powdering many other items. Put the chopped items into
a food dehydrator, then into a coffee grinder or food processor until it's
fine. Some people use it for makeup or dyes. Others use it for making
smoothies and various other food items. I could try the powder variety.

I powder onions and garlic this way when I can get my hands on tons of
excess. I use onion and garlic powders often with cooking of flavorings.

Some research has been conducted on beets helps pointing to reduction of
soreness after exercise (which is one benefit I'm seeking). Now that my
area is open, I'm back at my gym on a pretty aggressive weight lifting
regimen and soreness is something I'd like to reduce. Also, beets contain
chemicals that reduce swelling and cholesterol. Nitric Oxide is also
present, which is helpful with the vessels, reduction of blood pressure,
among other things. All this information comes from webmd.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...tmono-306/beet

Other nutrition sites suggest two beets per day. I really don't think I
could sustain this in my daily diet. Extraction seems to be a preferred
method. This is something I'm willing to try.

> It'd be a tad tricky to take the specifics attributed (some very
> interesting, others not always scientifically verified) to beets in
> general, then isolate each of them after long, slow heating. This is
> especially true as many of these "benefits" are claimed to accrue over
> long term use, rather than just being vitamin/mineral content. You can
> certainly look up individual vitamins/mineral you feel are in the
> beets and check out their extended heat sensitivities.

Great idea! I will do this. I understand that it likely requires
consistency to see a benefit, though webmd doesn't point to this
necessity. I'm sure it's due to lack of data. Just now, I realized that
my neighbor is a nutrionist and trainer. He actually owns the gym where
I train. I'll bring it up when I workout later today and get his
opinion. Also, my massage therapist does nutrition. I'll get her opinion
next time I talk with her.

> I happen to like beets - at least in salads, borscht or pickled, but
> they are a bother to deal with in prep.

I like beets too. Generally eat them out of the can. When I go to a
salad bar, I load up if they're stocked. But, as we said earlier, I'm
not sure if cooking/steaming the beets destroy some of the benefit. More
research is needed. I don't mind prepping the stuff if I can make it at
home at a portion of the cost.

> General article here, but stuff is all over the place and even in a
> respected publication, some of the claims are not substantiated in a
> scientific way. That could just be the write-up, though.
>
> https://www.consumerreports.org/heal...-good-for-you/

Yeah, I've only read from webMD and a few other reputable sources
including the consumer reports link you provided. When I read consumer
reviews on iHerb.com, most were positive. Though, I hesitate to rely on
reviews since it's impossible to tell when they're phony.

I reached out to labdoor.com and requested that they look into it.

--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2021 4:03 PM, Daniel wrote:
> Mike Hunt > writes:

>>> Sorry, I can't help you. Jill
>>>

>> So why even respond, attention whore?

> You nailed it. It seems to be the preferred method to respond with a
> prickly attitude than to not reply at all. Also, bad assumptions
> abound.

Looks like you're a fan of the nymshifting name calling trolls. You can
all go "stack" supplements together. Don't forget to drink a bunch of
kombucha while you're at it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 16:55:12 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/1/2021 4:03 PM, Daniel wrote:
>> Mike Hunt > writes:
>>
>>> So why even respond, attention whore?

>> You nailed it. It seems to be the preferred method to respond with a
>> prickly attitude than to not reply at all. Also, bad assumptions
>> abound.
>>

>Looks like you're a fan of the nymshifting name calling trolls. You can
>all go "stack" supplements together. Don't forget to drink a bunch of
>kombucha while you're at it.

Did you break up with your imaginary SO? You've become a total bitch.

--
The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 10:11:00 AM UTC-5, Mike Hunt wrote:

> On 6/1/2021 10:59 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, I can't help you.
> > Jill
> >

> So why even respond, attention whore?

So what?? You didn't jump with any helpful information and neither have
I. So I guess there are three attention whores here; Jill, me and YOU.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 1:08:36 PM UTC-5, Glen Tuttle wrote:

> I had a vegetarian girlfriend who was into BDSM, she did not carrot all
> if I beet her.

G R O A N
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 14:27:36 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 10:11:00 AM UTC-5, Mike Hunt wrote:
>>
>> On 6/1/2021 10:59 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> >
>> > Sorry, I can't help you.
>> > Jill
>> >

>> So why even respond, attention whore?
>>

>So what?? You didn't jump with any helpful information and neither have
>I. So I guess there are three attention whores here; Jill, me and YOU.

Ok, deal.

--
The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2021 2:03 PM, Daniel wrote:
> Mike Hunt > writes:

>>> Sorry, I can't help you. Jill
>>>

>> So why even respond, attention whore?

> You nailed it. It seems to be the preferred method to respond with a
> prickly attitude than to not reply at all. Also, bad assumptions
> abound.

Some of these old shrews are just as nasty as anything you might find in
a carny side show!