Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I know some folks here feel that fresh water chestnuts take too longto peel

I know some folks here feel that fresh water chestnuts take too long to peel, but after you do it several times, it doesn't take much time at all.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...57719313412479
The canned ones still have crunch, which is not amazing because you have to cook them thoroughly to decrunchify them, but the canned ones don't taste very good. When I can't get fresh, I just leave them out. The veggies are always so pretty before I dump on a bunch of ginger powder and tamari.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2021 3:39 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> I know some folks here feel that fresh water chestnuts take too long to peel, but after you do it several times, it doesn't take much time at all.
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...57719313412479
> The canned ones still have crunch, which is not amazing because you have to cook them thoroughly to decrunchify them, but the canned ones don't taste very good. When I can't get fresh, I just leave them out. The veggies are always so pretty before I dump on a bunch of ginger powder and tamari.
>>

> --Bryan

Nice!

They look a lot like fat Shitakes - have to see if I can find some.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:39:45 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>I know some folks here feel that fresh water chestnuts take too long to peel, but after you do it several times, it doesn't take much time at all.
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...57719313412479
>The canned ones still have crunch, which is not amazing because you have to cook them thoroughly to decrunchify them, but the canned ones don't taste very good. When I can't get fresh, I just leave them out. The veggies are always so pretty before I dump on a bunch of ginger powder and tamari.
>>

>--Bryan

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 4:43:23 PM UTC-5, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:
> On 5/31/2021 3:39 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> > I know some folks here feel that fresh water chestnuts take too long to peel, but after you do it several times, it doesn't take much time at all.
> > https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...57719313412479
> > The canned ones still have crunch, which is not amazing because you have to cook them thoroughly to decrunchify them, but the canned ones don't taste very good. When I can't get fresh, I just leave them out. The veggies are always so pretty before I dump on a bunch of ginger powder and tamari.
> >>

> > --Bryan
> >

> Nice!
>
> They look a lot like fat Shitakes - have to see if I can find some.

You look like a fat turd shat in the basement of a pizza parlor that has no
basement. You can add yourself to your bogus bullied list.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 15:45:29 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 4:43:23 PM UTC-5, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:
>> On 5/31/2021 3:39 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
>> > I know some folks here feel that fresh water chestnuts take too long to peel, but after you do it several times, it doesn't take much time at all.
>> > https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...57719313412479
>> > The canned ones still have crunch, which is not amazing because you have to cook them thoroughly to decrunchify them, but the canned ones don't taste very good. When I can't get fresh, I just leave them out. The veggies are always so pretty before I dump on a bunch of ginger powder and tamari.
>> >>
>> > --Bryan
>> >

>> Nice!
>>
>> They look a lot like fat Shitakes - have to see if I can find some.
>>

>You look like a fat turd shat in the basement of a pizza parlor that has no
>basement. You can add yourself to your bogus bullied list.
>>

>--Bryan

Still encouraging the trolls Bryan. Congrats!

The other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2021 4:45 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 4:43:23 PM UTC-5, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:
>> On 5/31/2021 3:39 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
>>> I know some folks here feel that fresh water chestnuts take too long to peel, but after you do it several times, it doesn't take much time at all.
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...57719313412479
>>> The canned ones still have crunch, which is not amazing because you have to cook them thoroughly to decrunchify them, but the canned ones don't taste very good. When I can't get fresh, I just leave them out. The veggies are always so pretty before I dump on a bunch of ginger powder and tamari.
>>>>
>>> --Bryan
>>>

>> Nice!
>>
>> They look a lot like fat Shitakes - have to see if I can find some.
>>

> You look like a fat turd shat in the basement of a pizza parlor that has no
> basement. You can add yourself to your bogus bullied list.
>>

> --Bryan

I do?

How would you know?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 5:39:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> I know some folks here feel that fresh water chestnuts take too long to peel, but after you do it several times, it doesn't take much time at all.
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...57719313412479
> The canned ones still have crunch, which is not amazing because you have to cook them thoroughly to decrunchify them, but the canned ones don't taste very good. When I can't get fresh, I just leave them out. The veggies are always so pretty before I dump on a bunch of ginger powder and tamari.

Why would you trouble to use fresh water chestnuts and then dump on powdered
ginger?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 01:51:37 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 5:39:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> I know some folks here feel that fresh water chestnuts take too long to peel, but after you do it several times, it doesn't take much time at all.
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...57719313412479
>> The canned ones still have crunch, which is not amazing because you have to cook them thoroughly to decrunchify them, but the canned ones don't taste very good. When I can't get fresh, I just leave them out. The veggies are always so pretty before I dump on a bunch of ginger powder and tamari.

>Why would you trouble to use fresh water chestnuts and then dump on powdered
>ginger?

Maybe powdered water chestnuts are hard to find?

--
The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 19:05:41 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 01:51:37 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 5:39:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>>> I know some folks here feel that fresh water chestnuts take too long to peel, but after you do it several times, it doesn't take much time at all.
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...57719313412479
>>> The canned ones still have crunch, which is not amazing because you have to cook them thoroughly to decrunchify them, but the canned ones don't taste very good. When I can't get fresh, I just leave them out. The veggies are always so pretty before I dump on a bunch of ginger powder and tamari.

>>Why would you trouble to use fresh water chestnuts and then dump on powdered
>>ginger?

>Maybe powdered water chestnuts are hard to find?

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2021 3:05 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 01:51:37 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 5:39:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>>> I know some folks here feel that fresh water chestnuts take too long to peel, but after you do it several times, it doesn't take much time at all.
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...57719313412479
>>> The canned ones still have crunch, which is not amazing because you have to cook them thoroughly to decrunchify them, but the canned ones don't taste very good. When I can't get fresh, I just leave them out. The veggies are always so pretty before I dump on a bunch of ginger powder and tamari.

>> Why would you trouble to use fresh water chestnuts and then dump on powdered
>> ginger?

> Maybe powdered water chestnuts are hard to find?

<GUFFAW!>

good one

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 3:51:40 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 5:39:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> > I know some folks here feel that fresh water chestnuts take too long to peel, but after you do it several times, it doesn't take much time at all.
> > https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...57719313412479
> > The canned ones still have crunch, which is not amazing because you have to cook them thoroughly to decrunchify them, but the canned ones don't taste very good. When I can't get fresh, I just leave them out. The veggies are always so pretty before I dump on a bunch of ginger powder and tamari.

> Why would you trouble to use fresh water chestnuts and then dump on powdered
> ginger?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Because I didn't have any fresh ginger. That should have been obvious.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 13:29:11 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 3:51:40 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 5:39:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> > I know some folks here feel that fresh water chestnuts take too long to peel, but after you do it several times, it doesn't take much time at all.
>> > https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...57719313412479
>> > The canned ones still have crunch, which is not amazing because you have to cook them thoroughly to decrunchify them, but the canned ones don't taste very good. When I can't get fresh, I just leave them out. The veggies are always so pretty before I dump on a bunch of ginger powder and tamari.

>> Why would you trouble to use fresh water chestnuts and then dump on powdered
>> ginger?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>Because I didn't have any fresh ginger. That should have been obvious.
>>

>--Bryan

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 4:29:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 3:51:40 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 5:39:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> > > I know some folks here feel that fresh water chestnuts take too long to peel, but after you do it several times, it doesn't take much time at all.
> > > https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...57719313412479
> > > The canned ones still have crunch, which is not amazing because you have to cook them thoroughly to decrunchify them, but the canned ones don't taste very good. When I can't get fresh, I just leave them out. The veggies are always so pretty before I dump on a bunch of ginger powder and tamari.

> > Why would you trouble to use fresh water chestnuts and then dump on powdered
> > ginger?
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Because I didn't have any fresh ginger. That should have been obvious.

No, it wasn't. Ginger freezes beautifully, so I always have it on hand.

The taste of powdered ginger in a stir fry is so weird to me, I would never use it.
"When I can't get fresh, I just leave [it] out."

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> The taste of powdered ginger in a stir fry is so weird to me, I would never use it.
> "When I can't get fresh, I just leave [it] out."

Agreed. I keep both powdered and fresh/frozen. They are not the same at
all. The powdered is more for like gingerbread or cookies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/2/2021 2:28 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 4:29:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>>> Why would you trouble to use fresh water chestnuts and then dump on powdered
>>> ginger?
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Because I didn't have any fresh ginger. That should have been obvious.

> No, it wasn't. Ginger freezes beautifully, so I always have it on hand.
>
> The taste of powdered ginger in a stir fry is so weird to me, I would never use it.
> "When I can't get fresh, I just leave [it] out."
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Powdered ginger is a nice inclusion for a BBQ rub.

https://www.sunset.com/recipe/ginger-rosemary-rub

Ingredients
1 cup paprika (3.4 oz.)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground ginger
2 tablespoons dried rosemary
2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper

Or:

https://www.thescratchartist.com/bar...pineapple-rub/

BARBECUE CHICKEN WITH GINGER & PINEAPPLE RUB

PRINT
INGREDIENTS
3½lb Chicken, butterflied
Olive oil
For the rub
2 Cups fresh pineapple with juice
1 Tablespoon fresh ground ginger
1 Large handful fresh cilantro
2 Small shallots (either raw or sautéed briefly)*

Posted to rec.food.cooking