Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Papaya

I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
something.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 16:53:23 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
>missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
>peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
>would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
>texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
>and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
>something.

You buy fruit in a tube and then wonder what you're missing? You're
missing fresh papaya. Besides, there are types of papaya. One type
taste a bit pukey. Or maybe it was overripe.

--
This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 07:45:31 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Thu, 27 May 2021 16:53:23 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
>>missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
>>peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
>>would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
>>texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
>>and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
>>something.

>You buy fruit in a tube and then wonder what you're missing? You're
>missing fresh papaya. Besides, there are types of papaya. One type
>taste a bit pukey. Or maybe it was overripe.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2021 4:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
> missing.Â* I was on my way to the check out line and sawÂ* it in tubes all
> peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
> would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
> texture was like a melon. The taste?Â*Â* Like a combination of cantaloup
> and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
> something.

I've never been impressed with papaya, either, and I tasted it fully
ripe (reddish-orange flesh) fresh off a tree we had in our yard when we
lived in Bangkok. The papaya you bought had to be trucked in from who
knows where, likely before it was ripe enough in the hopes it might
ripen. The peeled and cut up aspect means you didn't have to deal with
all the seeds. It does taste similar to cantaloupe. I have no idea if
you got to taste a really fresh papaya if it would make a difference.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 18:19:34 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/27/2021 4:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
>> missing.* I was on my way to the check out line and saw* it in tubes all
>> peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
>> would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
>> texture was like a melon. The taste?** Like a combination of cantaloup
>> and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
>> something.

>I've never been impressed with papaya, either, and I tasted it fully
>ripe (reddish-orange flesh) fresh off a tree we had in our yard when we
>lived in Bangkok. The papaya you bought had to be trucked in from who
>knows where, likely before it was ripe enough in the hopes it might
>ripen. The peeled and cut up aspect means you didn't have to deal with
>all the seeds. It does taste similar to cantaloupe. I have no idea if
>you got to taste a really fresh papaya if it would make a difference.
>
>Jill

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-27 6:19 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/27/2021 4:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I
>> as missing.Â* I was on my way to the check out line and sawÂ* it in
>> tubes all peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I
>> thought I would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some
>> orange. The texture was like a melon. The taste?Â*Â* Like a combination
>> of cantaloup and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must
>> be missing something.

> I've never been impressed with papaya, either, and I tasted it fully
> ripe (reddish-orange flesh) fresh off a tree we had in our yard when we
> lived in Bangkok.Â* The papaya you bought had to be trucked in from who
> knows where, likely before it was ripe enough in the hopes it might
> ripen.Â* The peeled and cut up aspect means you didn't have to deal with
> all the seeds.Â* It does taste similar to cantaloupe.Â* I have no idea if
> you got to taste a really fresh papaya if it would make a difference.

Thanks. I guess it wasn't just me. My wife said she had it once in
Tobago and found it bland but cloyingly sweet and someone suggested
sprinkling a little lime juice on it to cut the sweetness.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 10:53:28 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
> missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
> peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
> would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
> texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
> and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
> something.

The papayas you guys get are probably not that good. The papayas sold on this rock are pretty awesome. I used to eat papayas when my mother-in-law lived with us. I had to go to the store several times a week to buy her some. It was one of the few things she could stomach. My guess is that most old people on this rock will eat papaya for breakfast. It's quite a strange thing. It's just something that people of an advanced age feel the need to do. I used to eat papaya on a regular basis because I used to prepare it for my mother-in-law, these days, I don't eat papaya because I'm not into fruit for breakfast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 16:21:04 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 10:53:28 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
>> missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
>> peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
>> would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
>> texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
>> and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
>> something.

>The papayas you guys get are probably not that good. The papayas sold on this rock are pretty awesome. I used to eat papayas when my mother-in-law lived with us. I had to go to the store several times a week to buy her some. It was one of the few things she could stomach. My guess is that most old people on this rock will eat papaya for breakfast. It's quite a strange thing. It's just something that people of an advanced age feel the need to do. I used to eat papaya on a regular basis because I used to prepare it for my mother-in-law, these days, I don't eat papaya because I'm not into fruit for breakfast.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2021 2:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
> missing.Â* I was on my way to the check out line and sawÂ* it in tubes all
> peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
> would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
> texture was like a melon. The taste?Â*Â* Like a combination of cantaloup
> and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
> something.

Hydroponic papaya?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2021 5:21 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 10:53:28 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
>> missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
>> peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
>> would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
>> texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
>> and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
>> something.

> The papayas you guys get are probably not that good. The papayas sold on this rock are pretty awesome. I used to eat papayas when my mother-in-law lived with us. I had to go to the store several times a week to buy her some. It was one of the few things she could stomach. My guess is that most old people on this rock will eat papaya for breakfast. It's quite a strange thing. It's just something that people of an advanced age feel the need to do. I used to eat papaya on a regular basis because I used to prepare it for my mother-in-law, these days, I don't eat papaya because I'm not into fruit for breakfast.

Old people and digestives, lol...who knew...

;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 19:47:08 -0600, wolfy's new skateboard
> wrote:

>On 5/27/2021 5:21 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 10:53:28 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
>>> missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
>>> peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
>>> would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
>>> texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
>>> and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
>>> something.

>> The papayas you guys get are probably not that good. The papayas sold on this rock are pretty awesome. I used to eat papayas when my mother-in-law lived with us. I had to go to the store several times a week to buy her some. It was one of the few things she could stomach. My guess is that most old people on this rock will eat papaya for breakfast. It's quite a strange thing. It's just something that people of an advanced age feel the need to do. I used to eat papaya on a regular basis because I used to prepare it for my mother-in-law, these days, I don't eat papaya because I'm not into fruit for breakfast.
>>

>Old people and digestives, lol...who knew...
>
>;-)

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 18:43:03 -0600, wolfy's new skateboard
> wrote:

>On 5/27/2021 2:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
>> missing.* I was on my way to the check out line and saw* it in tubes all
>> peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
>> would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
>> texture was like a melon. The taste?** Like a combination of cantaloup
>> and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
>> something.

>Hydroponic papaya?

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 6:19:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On 5/27/2021 4:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
> > missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
> > peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
> > would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
> > texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
> > and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
> > something.

> I've never been impressed with papaya, either, and I tasted it fully
> ripe (reddish-orange flesh) fresh off a tree we had in our yard when we
> lived in Bangkok. The papaya you bought had to be trucked in from who
> knows where, likely before it was ripe enough in the hopes it might
> ripen. The peeled and cut up aspect means you didn't have to deal with
> all the seeds. It does taste similar to cantaloupe. I have no idea if
> you got to taste a really fresh papaya if it would make a difference.

Papaya should be topped powdered vanilla or cinnamon or cloves baked and then buttered and sugared right before serving, shouldn't it? That's how I had it a few times back in the 70's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 01:22:06 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 6:19:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On 5/27/2021 4:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> > I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
>> > missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
>> > peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
>> > would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
>> > texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
>> > and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
>> > something.

>> I've never been impressed with papaya, either, and I tasted it fully
>> ripe (reddish-orange flesh) fresh off a tree we had in our yard when we
>> lived in Bangkok. The papaya you bought had to be trucked in from who
>> knows where, likely before it was ripe enough in the hopes it might
>> ripen. The peeled and cut up aspect means you didn't have to deal with
>> all the seeds. It does taste similar to cantaloupe. I have no idea if
>> you got to taste a really fresh papaya if it would make a difference.

>Papaya should be topped powdered vanilla or cinnamon or cloves baked and then buttered and sugared right before serving, shouldn't it? That's how I had it a few times back in the 70's.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 7:03:20 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-05-27 6:19 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> > On 5/27/2021 4:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> >> I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I
> >> as missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in
> >> tubes all peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I
> >> thought I would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some
> >> orange. The texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination
> >> of cantaloup and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must
> >> be missing something.

> > I've never been impressed with papaya, either, and I tasted it fully
> > ripe (reddish-orange flesh) fresh off a tree we had in our yard when we
> > lived in Bangkok. The papaya you bought had to be trucked in from who
> > knows where, likely before it was ripe enough in the hopes it might
> > ripen. The peeled and cut up aspect means you didn't have to deal with
> > all the seeds. It does taste similar to cantaloupe. I have no idea if
> > you got to taste a really fresh papaya if it would make a difference.
> >

> Thanks. I guess it wasn't just me. My wife said she had it once in
> Tobago and found it bland but cloyingly sweet and someone suggested
> sprinkling a little lime juice on it to cut the sweetness.

If you have to sprinkle it with lime juice, it's not worth it. I'd rather
eat the lime.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 5:03:14 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 7:03:20 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > I've never been impressed with papaya, either, and I tasted it fully
> > > ripe (reddish-orange flesh) fresh off a tree we had in our yard when we
> > > lived in Bangkok. The papaya you bought had to be trucked in from who
> > > knows where, likely before it was ripe enough in the hopes it might
> > > ripen. The peeled and cut up aspect means you didn't have to deal with
> > > all the seeds. It does taste similar to cantaloupe. I have no idea if
> > > you got to taste a really fresh papaya if it would make a difference.
> > >

> > Thanks. I guess it wasn't just me. My wife said she had it once in
> > Tobago and found it bland but cloyingly sweet and someone suggested
> > sprinkling a little lime juice on it to cut the sweetness.

> If you have to sprinkle it with lime juice, it's not worth it. I'd rather
> eat the lime.

Strange, I guess. I've never eaten uncooked papaya.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 07:30:59 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 5:03:14 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > Thanks. I guess it wasn't just me. My wife said she had it once in
>> > Tobago and found it bland but cloyingly sweet and someone suggested
>> > sprinkling a little lime juice on it to cut the sweetness.

>> If you have to sprinkle it with lime juice, it's not worth it. I'd rather
>> eat the lime.

>Strange, I guess. I've never eaten uncooked papaya.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 02:03:11 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 7:03:20 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> >
>> > I've never been impressed with papaya, either, and I tasted it fully
>> > ripe (reddish-orange flesh) fresh off a tree we had in our yard when we
>> > lived in Bangkok. The papaya you bought had to be trucked in from who
>> > knows where, likely before it was ripe enough in the hopes it might
>> > ripen. The peeled and cut up aspect means you didn't have to deal with
>> > all the seeds. It does taste similar to cantaloupe. I have no idea if
>> > you got to taste a really fresh papaya if it would make a difference.
>> >

>> Thanks. I guess it wasn't just me. My wife said she had it once in
>> Tobago and found it bland but cloyingly sweet and someone suggested
>> sprinkling a little lime juice on it to cut the sweetness.

>If you have to sprinkle it with lime juice, it's not worth it. I'd rather
>eat the lime.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2021 2:22 AM, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 6:19:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On 5/27/2021 4:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
>>> missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
>>> peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
>>> would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
>>> texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
>>> and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
>>> something.

>> I've never been impressed with papaya, either, and I tasted it fully
>> ripe (reddish-orange flesh) fresh off a tree we had in our yard when we
>> lived in Bangkok. The papaya you bought had to be trucked in from who
>> knows where, likely before it was ripe enough in the hopes it might
>> ripen. The peeled and cut up aspect means you didn't have to deal with
>> all the seeds. It does taste similar to cantaloupe. I have no idea if
>> you got to taste a really fresh papaya if it would make a difference.

> Papaya should be topped powdered vanilla or cinnamon or cloves baked and then buttered and sugared right before serving, shouldn't it? That's how I had it a few times back in the 70's.

Tasty!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2021 8:30 AM, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 5:03:14 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Thanks. I guess it wasn't just me. My wife said she had it once in
>>> Tobago and found it bland but cloyingly sweet and someone suggested
>>> sprinkling a little lime juice on it to cut the sweetness.

>> If you have to sprinkle it with lime juice, it's not worth it. I'd rather
>> eat the lime.

> Strange, I guess. I've never eaten uncooked papaya.

Fresh is good, tamarind from the pod is even better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 07:30:59 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 5:03:14 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > Thanks. I guess it wasn't just me. My wife said she had it once in
>> > Tobago and found it bland but cloyingly sweet and someone suggested
>> > sprinkling a little lime juice on it to cut the sweetness.

>> If you have to sprinkle it with lime juice, it's not worth it. I'd rather
>> eat the lime.

>Strange, I guess. I've never eaten uncooked papaya.

I've never eaten cooked papaya. We used to have a papaya tree, but it
fell over in strong wind.

--
The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 11:01:09 -0600, wolfy's new skateboard
> wrote:

>On 5/28/2021 8:30 AM, bruce bowser wrote:

>>> If you have to sprinkle it with lime juice, it's not worth it. I'd rather
>>> eat the lime.

>> Strange, I guess. I've never eaten uncooked papaya.
>>

>Fresh is good, tamarind from the pod is even better.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 10:30:03 -0600, wolfy's new skateboard
> wrote:

>On 5/28/2021 2:22 AM, bruce bowser wrote:
>>> I've never been impressed with papaya, either, and I tasted it fully
>>> ripe (reddish-orange flesh) fresh off a tree we had in our yard when we
>>> lived in Bangkok. The papaya you bought had to be trucked in from who
>>> knows where, likely before it was ripe enough in the hopes it might
>>> ripen. The peeled and cut up aspect means you didn't have to deal with
>>> all the seeds. It does taste similar to cantaloupe. I have no idea if
>>> you got to taste a really fresh papaya if it would make a difference.

>> Papaya should be topped powdered vanilla or cinnamon or cloves baked and then buttered and sugared right before serving, shouldn't it? That's how I had it a few times back in the 70's.
>>

>Tasty!

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 16:53:23 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
> missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
> peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
> would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
> texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
> and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
> something.

They're always not ripe enough to eat as a nibbling fruit or too
ripe to use in Asian salads ("Green Papaya"). Unless you go to an
Asian supermarket, then they're all green and unripe - they never
sell ripe ones.

The "ripe" ones I've had have been mushy mixed with deposits of
fibrous. I'll pass at $.99/lb.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 16:53:23 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
> missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
> peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
> would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
> texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
> and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
> something.

Oh, I forgot to mention: Don't try guava if you see them.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 16:21:04 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 wrote:

> The papayas you guys get are probably not that good. The papayas
> sold on this rock are pretty awesome. I used to eat papayas when
> my mother-in-law lived with us. I had to go to the store several
> times a week to buy her some. It was one of the few things she
> could stomach. My guess...

Cool - everybody takes a shot! I had to read two posts and half of
another one for a reason to take a shot today. Next time, try and
say "guess" earlier in your posts, please?

Ron Rio Virgin Island Rum, FYI.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 4:02:25 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

> Oh, I forgot to mention: Don't try guava if you see them.
>
> -sw

I've only eaten guava jam/preserves and I had my reservations.
I was very surprised at how good it was even though it didn't
look all that great. Mind you, this was about a hundred years
ago. I haven't seen it on the grocery shelves since I ate loooong
ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 4:31:03 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 5:03:14 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Thanks. I guess it wasn't just me. My wife said she had it once in
> > > Tobago and found it bland but cloyingly sweet and someone suggested
> > > sprinkling a little lime juice on it to cut the sweetness.

> > If you have to sprinkle it with lime juice, it's not worth it. I'd rather
> > eat the lime.

> Strange, I guess. I've never eaten uncooked papaya.

I've never heard of cooking a papaya. Of course, there's a lot of things that I've never heard of. The Hawaiians eat ripe papaya raw. The Hawaiians also use the seeds in salad dressing. The Southeast Asians eat the stuff while it's still green. That stuff is pretty tasteless but my guess is that it contains a high amount of papain. Perhaps it's useful in digesting the foods the SE Asians consume. Maybe we should all be eating green papaya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy-mJulcAmY
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 16:01:49 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 27 May 2021 16:53:23 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
>> missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
>> peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
>> would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
>> texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
>> and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
>> something.

>They're always not ripe enough to eat as a nibbling fruit or too
>ripe to use in Asian salads ("Green Papaya"). Unless you go to an
>Asian supermarket, then they're all green and unripe - they never
>sell ripe ones.
>
>The "ripe" ones I've had have been mushy mixed with deposits of
>fibrous. I'll pass at $.99/lb.
>
>-sw

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 14:11:33 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 4:02:25 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Oh, I forgot to mention: Don't try guava if you see them.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>I've only eaten guava jam/preserves and I had my reservations.
>I was very surprised at how good it was even though it didn't
>look all that great. Mind you, this was about a hundred years
>ago. I haven't seen it on the grocery shelves since I ate loooong
>ago.

The other Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 16:02:20 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 27 May 2021 16:53:23 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
>> missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
>> peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
>> would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
>> texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
>> and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
>> something.

>Oh, I forgot to mention: Don't try guava if you see them.
>
>-sw

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 14:29:04 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 4:31:03 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:

>> > If you have to sprinkle it with lime juice, it's not worth it. I'd rather
>> > eat the lime.

>> Strange, I guess. I've never eaten uncooked papaya.

>I've never heard of cooking a papaya. Of course, there's a lot of things that I've never heard of. The Hawaiians eat ripe papaya raw. The Hawaiians also use the seeds in salad dressing. The Southeast Asians eat the stuff while it's still green. That stuff is pretty tasteless but my guess is that it contains a high amount of papain. Perhaps it's useful in digesting the foods the SE Asians consume. Maybe we should all be eating green papaya.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy-mJulcAmY

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 16:05:47 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 27 May 2021 16:21:04 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 wrote:
>
>> The papayas you guys get are probably not that good. The papayas
>> sold on this rock are pretty awesome. I used to eat papayas when
>> my mother-in-law lived with us. I had to go to the store several
>> times a week to buy her some. It was one of the few things she
>> could stomach. My guess...

>Cool - everybody takes a shot! I had to read two posts and half of
>another one for a reason to take a shot today. Next time, try and
>say "guess" earlier in your posts, please?
>
>Ron Rio Virgin Island Rum, FYI.
>
>-sw

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2021 4:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
> missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
> peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
> would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
> texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
> and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
> something.

I agree with you on the papaya. I've tried it a few times. It's a pretty
blah tropical fruit. It needs help with some recipe but I just won't
bother with it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 6:39:48 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> On 5/27/2021 4:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
> > missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
> > peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
> > would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
> > texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
> > and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
> > something.

> I agree with you on the papaya. I've tried it a few times. It's a pretty
> blah tropical fruit. It needs help with some recipe but I just won't
> bother with it again.

It's right up there with poi in the "blah tropical foods" category...

--
GM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 07:39:34 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 5/27/2021 4:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
>> missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
>> peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
>> would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
>> texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
>> and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
>> something.

>I agree with you on the papaya. I've tried it a few times. It's a pretty
>blah tropical fruit. It needs help with some recipe but I just won't
>bother with it again.

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 05:46:46 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 6:39:48 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>> On 5/27/2021 4:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> > I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
>> > missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
>> > peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
>> > would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
>> > texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
>> > and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
>> > something.

>> I agree with you on the papaya. I've tried it a few times. It's a pretty
>> blah tropical fruit. It needs help with some recipe but I just won't
>> bother with it again.

>It's right up there with poi in the "blah tropical foods" category...

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 8:46:50 AM UTC-4, GM wrote:
> On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 6:39:48 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> > On 5/27/2021 4:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > > I had my first taste of papaya today and it left me wondering what I as
> > > missing. I was on my way to the check out line and saw it in tubes all
> > > peeled and cut up and ready to eat, it was cheap enough so I thought I
> > > would give it a try. The pieces had some yellow and some orange. The
> > > texture was like a melon. The taste? Like a combination of cantaloup
> > > and water but with most of the flavour sucked out. I must be missing
> > > something.

> > I agree with you on the papaya. I've tried it a few times. It's a pretty
> > blah tropical fruit. It needs help with some recipe but I just won't
> > bother with it again.

> It's right up there with poi in the "blah tropical foods" category...

I don't mind any of it. Its better than your junk food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 08:08:41 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser

papaya Jim Elbrecht General Cooking 26 05-05-2012 04:25 AM
Egg & Papaya Curry happy General Cooking 0 12-09-2009 08:12 AM
PAPAYA? Nobody but us chickens Preserving 0 17-06-2005 05:58 PM
Papaya question MEow Vegan 7 15-12-2003 11:10 PM