Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Uh Oh!

On 5/29/2021 7:39 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 5/27/2021 3:47 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Â*Â* a lot of bbq sauces have either molasses or brown sugar
>>> in them.Â* i'm sure you could use regular sugar or skip it
>>> entirely if you wanted as ketchup has enough sugar in it.
>>> it just doesn't glaze as well that way.
>>>
>>> Â*Â* it is probably not that much molasses.Â* no measurements
>>> given.
>>>

>>> Â*Â* songbird
>>>

>> Ah!Â* I don't "glaze" meatloaf.Â* I really don't like it when there is
>> ketchup slathered on top.
>>
>> Jill

> Neither did Julie.

Yer point? Lots of people don't. There was a restaurant in town
(Barbara Jeans) that served home-style food. They had meatloaf on the
menu and they made it both ways, topped with ketchup or not. They had
great food. Unfortunately the woman who owned it sold out and now it's
a sports bar.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 07:43:55 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> As for your grandparents, both of my grandmothers' used to kill chickens
>> and pluck them while sitting on kitchen steps. Doesn't mean I want to
>> do it.

>My one grandma was a city girl. All food from the grocery store.
>
>Other gramma had nothing but homegrown vegetables and all the meat was
>hunted or killed by grandfather. He killed it, cleaned it and all she
>got was what a grocery store would sell.

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 08:38:11 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Fri, 28 May 2021 23:40:01 -0400, songbird >
>wrote:
>
>>cshenk wrote:
>>...tofu...
>>> Grin, we did a lot of that. Seafood was MUCH cheaper and we ate a lot
>>> of squid and giant prawns.
>>>
>>> I know we also made the kids 'stuffed baked squid' and they loved it.
>>> It will not at all sound 'right' but actually, it matched well. You
>>> chill then slice to rounds. Squid type used have a body core 1ft to 14
>>> inches deep.

>> i'm good with squid, when done right.
>>

>> songbird

>Squid should be cooked less than two minutes or over two hours.

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 07:30:12 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 5/28/2021 5:02 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> There really isn't that much bell pepper in the frozen mix and I like
>>> the diced celery, too. Celery is not something I keep on hand fresh
>>> so having it in that frozen veggie blend is convenient for making
>>> meatloaf mix.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> That works. I don't see anything wrong with using some of the frozen
>> versions at all! I'm pretty sure we have someplace but Don always
>> makes the meatloaf. It's simply in a 2 cook family (3 to an extent
>> when Charlotte is here), there are some dishes just one of us make but
>> all of us like.
>>
>> I do use the quick and easy frozen veggies in many things.

>My frozen mixed veggies contain:
> - carrots
> - peas
> - corn
> - green beans
>
>That's all. No green pepper or celery and thankfully no longer contains
>lima beans. This simple mix is good for many uses.
>
>Of course there are alt varieties. One called Japanese blend, good for
>stir fry.

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 07:42:30 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> As for your grandparents, both of my grandmothers' used to kill chickens
>> and pluck them while sitting on kitchen steps. Doesn't mean I want to
>> do it.

>My two gramma's:
>
>- one was a city girl and only got food from the grocery store
>
>- my country gramma got already processed food too but my
> grandfather did all the dirty work. He would kill, clean, and what
>she got was the same as from a store.

The other Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 07:39:01 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 5/27/2021 3:47 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> a lot of bbq sauces have either molasses or brown sugar
>>> in them. i'm sure you could use regular sugar or skip it
>>> entirely if you wanted as ketchup has enough sugar in it.
>>> it just doesn't glaze as well that way.
>>>
>>> it is probably not that much molasses. no measurements
>>> given.
>>>

>>> songbird
>>>

>> Ah! I don't "glaze" meatloaf. I really don't like it when there is
>> ketchup slathered on top.
>>
>> Jill

>Neither did Julie.

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 09:17:54 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/29/2021 7:39 AM, Gary wrote:

>>> Ah!* I don't "glaze" meatloaf.* I really don't like it when there is
>>> ketchup slathered on top.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Neither did Julie.
>>

>Yer point? Lots of people don't. There was a restaurant in town
>(Barbara Jeans) that served home-style food. They had meatloaf on the
>menu and they made it both ways, topped with ketchup or not. They had
>great food. Unfortunately the woman who owned it sold out and now it's
>a sports bar.
>
>Jill

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

wrote:

> On 5/29/2021 7:39 AM, Gary wrote:

> >> Ah! I don't "glaze" meatloaf. I really don't like it when there is
> >> ketchup slathered on top.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Neither did Julie.
> >

> Yer point? Lots of people don't. There was a restaurant in town
> (Barbara Jeans) that served home-style food. They had meatloaf on the
> menu and they made it both ways, topped with ketchup or not. They had
> great food. Unfortunately the woman who owned it sold out and now it's
> a sports bar.

Uh - oh! It's Saturday morning with The Bickersons...!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bickersons

The Bickersons was a radio comedy sketch series that began September 8, 1946, on NBC, moving the following year to CBS where it continued until August 28, 1951. The show's married protagonists, portrayed by Don Ameche (later by Lew Parker) and Frances Langford, spent nearly all their time together in relentless verbal war...

New York Herald Tribune critic John Crosby described them (in the May 25, 1948 column which gave the couple their nickname, "The Bickering Bickersons"):

'Blanche... is one of the monstrous shrews of all time. She makes her husband... take two jobs, a total of 16 working hours, in order to bring in more money which she squanders on minks and the stock market. Meanwhile, he can't afford a new pair of shoes and goes around with his feet painted black. In the few hours he has to sleep, she heckles him all night with the accusation that he doesn't love her. Her aim appears to be to drive her husband crazy and she succeeds very nicely. The harassed John's only weapon is insult, at which he's pretty good...'

Dialogue
As transcribed by John Crosby, this was a typical Bickersons exchange:

B: You used to be so considerate. Since you got married to me you haven't got any sympathy at all.
J: I have, too. I've got everybody's sympathy.
B: Believe me, there's better fish in the ocean than the one I caught.
J: There's better bait, too.
B: I don't see how you can go to bed without kissing me good night.
J: I can do it.
B: You'd better say you're sorry for that, John.
J: Okay, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
B: You are not.
J: I am too. I'm the sorriest man that was ever born.
B: Is there any milk for breakfast?
J: No.
B: Then you'll have to eat out.
J: I don't care, I've been doing it all week.
B: What for? I left you enough food for six days. I cooked a whole bathtub full of rice. What happened to it?
J: I took a bath in it.
B: Why didn't you eat it?
J: I've told you a million times I can't stand the sight of rice.
B: Why not?
J: Because it's connected to the saddest mistake of my life.
B: You stopped loving me the day we were married.
J: That wasn't the day at all..."

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-28 11:40 p.m., songbird wrote:
> cshenk wrote:
> ...tofu...
>> Grin, we did a lot of that. Seafood was MUCH cheaper and we ate a lot
>> of squid and giant prawns.
>>
>> I know we also made the kids 'stuffed baked squid' and they loved it.
>> It will not at all sound 'right' but actually, it matched well. You
>> chill then slice to rounds. Squid type used have a body core 1ft to 14
>> inches deep.

> i'm good with squid, when done right.

I had some the other day and was not all that thrilled with it. It may
have been partially due to it being a take out order and getting steamed
in the container on the way home and losing its crispiness. One piece
was unchewable, which was odd since the others were nice and tender. It
was kind of weird that they had tempura artichoke and capers along with
the calamari.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-29 7:38 a.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2021 23:40:01 -0400, songbird >
> wrote:
>
>> cshenk wrote:
>> ...tofu...
>>> Grin, we did a lot of that. Seafood was MUCH cheaper and we ate a lot
>>> of squid and giant prawns.
>>>
>>> I know we also made the kids 'stuffed baked squid' and they loved it.
>>> It will not at all sound 'right' but actually, it matched well. You
>>> chill then slice to rounds. Squid type used have a body core 1ft to 14
>>> inches deep.

>> i'm good with squid, when done right.
>>

>> songbird

> Squid should be cooked less than two minutes or over two hours.

I thought it was under two minutes or more than 20. I have dried it many
times. I have had it grilled and it was wonderful. I once had it
stuffed and baked and was not impressed. I once made the mistake of
having it in an Italian restaurant in Paris. It came in a tomato sauce
with pasta.... extremely disappointing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2021 5:38 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 5/27/2021 2:17 PM, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:
>> On 5/27/2021 12:11 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>> Anyone who doesn't own a meat grinder
>>> can't cook.

>> Just like anyone who doesn't own their own still can't drink?
>>
>> Perish the poor Crystal Palace mavens...

> Crystal Palace is 'bottom shelf' mystery vodka.

I bet it makes a dandy finish remover for furniture too...

;-0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 11:52:26 -0600, wolfy's new skateboard
> wrote:

>On 5/29/2021 5:38 AM, Gary wrote:
>>>
>>> Just like anyone who doesn't own their own still can't drink?
>>>
>>> Perish the poor Crystal Palace mavens...

>> Crystal Palace is 'bottom shelf' mystery vodka.
>>

>I bet it makes a dandy finish remover for furniture too...
>
>;-0

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 23:29:38 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2021 09:17:54 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:

>>> Neither did Julie.
>>>

>>Yer point? Lots of people don't. There was a restaurant in town
>>(Barbara Jeans) that served home-style food. They had meatloaf on the
>>menu and they made it both ways, topped with ketchup or not. They had
>>great food. Unfortunately the woman who owned it sold out and now it's
>>a sports bar.
>>
>>Jill

>Ask them, theyre here. "You can stop saying that now. Thank you."

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 06:32:17 -0700 (PDT), GM

>> > Neither did Julie.
>> >

>> Yer point? Lots of people don't. There was a restaurant in town
>> (Barbara Jeans) that served home-style food. They had meatloaf on the
>> menu and they made it both ways, topped with ketchup or not. They had
>> great food. Unfortunately the woman who owned it sold out and now it's
>> a sports bar.

>Uh - oh! It's Saturday morning with The Bickersons...!!!
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bickersons
>
>The Bickersons was a radio comedy sketch series that began September 8, 1946, on NBC, moving the following year to CBS where it continued until August 28, 1951. The show's married protagonists, portrayed by Don Ameche (later by Lew Parker) and Frances Langford, spent nearly all their time together in relentless verbal war...
>
>New York Herald Tribune critic John Crosby described them (in the May 25, 1948 column which gave the couple their nickname, "The Bickering Bickersons"):
>
>'Blanche... is one of the monstrous shrews of all time. She makes her husband... take two jobs, a total of 16 working hours, in order to bring in more money which she squanders on minks and the stock market. Meanwhile, he can't afford a new pair of shoes and goes around with his feet painted black. In the few hours he has to sleep, she heckles him all night with the accusation that he doesn't love her. Her aim appears to be to drive her husband crazy and she succeeds very nicely. The harassed John's only weapon is insult, at which he's pretty good...'
>
>Dialogue
>As transcribed by John Crosby, this was a typical Bickersons exchange:
>
>B: You used to be so considerate. Since you got married to me you haven't got any sympathy at all.
>J: I have, too. I've got everybody's sympathy.
>B: Believe me, there's better fish in the ocean than the one I caught.
>J: There's better bait, too.
>B: I don't see how you can go to bed without kissing me good night.
>J: I can do it.
>B: You'd better say you're sorry for that, John.
>J: Okay, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
>B: You are not.
>J: I am too. I'm the sorriest man that was ever born.
>B: Is there any milk for breakfast?
>J: No.
>B: Then you'll have to eat out.
>J: I don't care, I've been doing it all week.
>B: What for? I left you enough food for six days. I cooked a whole bathtub full of rice. What happened to it?
>J: I took a bath in it.
>B: Why didn't you eat it?
>J: I've told you a million times I can't stand the sight of rice.
>B: Why not?
>J: Because it's connected to the saddest mistake of my life.
>B: You stopped loving me the day we were married.
>J: That wasn't the day at all..."
>
></>

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 09:49:05 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-05-29 7:38 a.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 May 2021 23:40:01 -0400, songbird >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> cshenk wrote:
>>> ...tofu...

>>> i'm good with squid, when done right.
>>>

>>> songbird

>> Squid should be cooked less than two minutes or over two hours.
>>

>I thought it was under two minutes or more than 20. I have dried it many
>times. I have had it grilled and it was wonderful. I once had it
>stuffed and baked and was not impressed. I once made the mistake of
>having it in an Italian restaurant in Paris. It came in a tomato sauce
>with pasta.... extremely disappointing.

The other Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 09:41:58 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-05-28 11:40 p.m., songbird wrote:
>> cshenk wrote:
>> ...tofu...
>>> Grin, we did a lot of that. Seafood was MUCH cheaper and we ate a lot
>>> of squid and giant prawns.
>>>
>>> I know we also made the kids 'stuffed baked squid' and they loved it.
>>> It will not at all sound 'right' but actually, it matched well. You
>>> chill then slice to rounds. Squid type used have a body core 1ft to 14
>>> inches deep.

>> i'm good with squid, when done right.
>>

>I had some the other day and was not all that thrilled with it. It may
>have been partially due to it being a take out order and getting steamed
>in the container on the way home and losing its crispiness. One piece
>was unchewable, which was odd since the others were nice and tender. It
>was kind of weird that they had tempura artichoke and capers along with
>the calamari.

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> On 5/28/2021 5:02 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> > > There really isn't that much bell pepper in the frozen mix and I
> > > like the diced celery, too. Celery is not something I keep on
> > > hand fresh so having it in that frozen veggie blend is convenient
> > > for making meatloaf mix.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > That works. I don't see anything wrong with using some of the
> > frozen versions at all! I'm pretty sure we have someplace but Don
> > always makes the meatloaf. It's simply in a 2 cook family (3 to an
> > extent when Charlotte is here), there are some dishes just one of
> > us make but all of us like.
> >
> > I do use the quick and easy frozen veggies in many things.

> My frozen mixed veggies contain:
> - carrots
> - peas
> - corn
> - green beans
>
> That's all. No green pepper or celery and thankfully no longer
> contains lima beans. This simple mix is good for many uses.
>
> Of course there are alt varieties. One called Japanese blend, good
> for stir fry.

I use all sorts of versions. Some might be single veggie then mixed
with another single veggie or 5 types depending on what I want to make.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> ...tofu...
> > Grin, we did a lot of that. Seafood was MUCH cheaper and we ate a
> > lot of squid and giant prawns.
> >
> > I know we also made the kids 'stuffed baked squid' and they loved
> > it. It will not at all sound 'right' but actually, it matched
> > well. You chill then slice to rounds. Squid type used have a body
> > core 1ft to 14 inches deep.

> i'm good with squid, when done right.
>

> songbird

Me too. Don excels at that one. Most were oiled (olive oil) then
baked after stuffing. Stuffing varied from the same sort you'd use
with a chiken to rice based and once, in Japan's virtual 'Monsoon'
(it's not as bad as the real one but it's going to rain continuously
for 2-3 weeks), I was caught out and used grits of all things! Mixed
those with mushrooms, cheese, and some sort of veggie I don't recall.
Wierd but it was actually good!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Gary wrote:

>>> That works. I don't see anything wrong with using some of the
>>> frozen versions at all! I'm pretty sure we have someplace but Don
>>> always makes the meatloaf. It's simply in a 2 cook family (3 to an
>>> extent when Charlotte is here), there are some dishes just one of
>>> us make but all of us like.
>>>
>>> I do use the quick and easy frozen veggies in many things.

>> My frozen mixed veggies contain:
>> - carrots
>> - peas
>> - corn
>> - green beans
>>
>> That's all. No green pepper or celery and thankfully no longer
>> contains lima beans. This simple mix is good for many uses.
>>
>> Of course there are alt varieties. One called Japanese blend, good
>> for stir fry.

> I use all sorts of versions. Some might be single veggie then mixed
> with another single veggie or 5 types depending on what I want to make.

I thought old sailors preferred dehydrated vegetables?
Learned that from Popeye.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 5/28/2021 5:19 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > This was Japan days. 70% lean ground beef was 4$ a lb... Canned
> > ham was closer to 3$lb. Haute cuisine? Definately not. What it
> > was, was a good step up from oreos, ding-dongs, candy, doughnuts
> > and such.
> >
> > Wince, I paid 15$ for a 3lb chicken there.
> >

> Wait, you were stationed there. You didn't have access to a military
> commissary at Sasebo?
>
> Jill

That was the commisary price. It was closer to 40$ out in town.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 5/28/2021 5:19 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>> This was Japan days. 70% lean ground beef was 4$ a lb... Canned
>>> ham was closer to 3$lb. Haute cuisine? Definately not. What it
>>> was, was a good step up from oreos, ding-dongs, candy, doughnuts
>>> and such.
>>>
>>> Wince, I paid 15$ for a 3lb chicken there.
>>>

>> Wait, you were stationed there. You didn't have access to a military
>> commissary at Sasebo?
>>
>> Jill

> That was the commisary price. It was closer to 40$ out in town.

You sure that wasn't in yens or rubles or piasters?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 5/28/2021 5:19 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > This was Japan days. 70% lean ground beef was 4$ a lb... Canned
> > ham was closer to 3$lb. Haute cuisine? Definately not. What it
> > was, was a good step up from oreos, ding-dongs, candy, doughnuts
> > and such.
> >
> > Wince, I paid 15$ for a 3lb chicken there.
> >

> Wait, you were stationed there. You didn't have access to a military
> commissary at Sasebo?
>
> Jill

Oh, let me elaborate to prevent confusion. I don't know the exact
rules of it all but some things could not be imported as they were not
allowed in Japan. Probably more related to 'protecting Japan Prices
and Products' or something but I never knew.

I just know you couldn't get a standard Idaho russet baking potato
except for a seasonal few and they were really high priced. Like 5$
each or maybe more. Some things you just couldn't get at all.

If you actually knew how to scratch cook and were not afraid to try new
things, shopping at Tonoo Market for veggies and eggs could be much
cheaper than the commisarry. It was so much cheaper for seafood, that
the commissary didn't have more than fishsticks in that line as far as
I recall.

The commissary had a lot of savings on some items based on local prices
but don't confuse that with USA prices at the same time. Cost of
delivery was added plus potential Japan import fees.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 21:10:35 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 5/28/2021 5:19 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> > This was Japan days. 70% lean ground beef was 4$ a lb... Canned
>> > ham was closer to 3$lb. Haute cuisine? Definately not. What it
>> > was, was a good step up from oreos, ding-dongs, candy, doughnuts
>> > and such.
>> >
>> > Wince, I paid 15$ for a 3lb chicken there.
>> >

>> Wait, you were stationed there. You didn't have access to a military
>> commissary at Sasebo?
>>
>> Jill

>Oh, let me elaborate to prevent confusion. I don't know the exact
>rules of it all but some things could not be imported as they were not
>allowed in Japan. Probably more related to 'protecting Japan Prices
>and Products' or something but I never knew.
>
>I just know you couldn't get a standard Idaho russet baking potato
>except for a seasonal few and they were really high priced. Like 5$
>each or maybe more. Some things you just couldn't get at all.
>
>If you actually knew how to scratch cook and were not afraid to try new
>things, shopping at Tonoo Market for veggies and eggs could be much
>cheaper than the commisarry. It was so much cheaper for seafood, that
>the commissary didn't have more than fishsticks in that line as far as
>I recall.
>
>The commissary had a lot of savings on some items based on local prices
>but don't confuse that with USA prices at the same time. Cost of
>delivery was added plus potential Japan import fees.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 19:12:00 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 5/28/2021 5:19 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> > This was Japan days. 70% lean ground beef was 4$ a lb... Canned
>> > ham was closer to 3$lb. Haute cuisine? Definately not. What it
>> > was, was a good step up from oreos, ding-dongs, candy, doughnuts
>> > and such.
>> >
>> > Wince, I paid 15$ for a 3lb chicken there.
>> >

>> Wait, you were stationed there. You didn't have access to a military
>> commissary at Sasebo?
>>
>> Jill

>That was the commisary price. It was closer to 40$ out in town.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 18:55:09 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:

>Gary wrote:

>> > That works. I don't see anything wrong with using some of the
>> > frozen versions at all! I'm pretty sure we have someplace but Don
>> > always makes the meatloaf. It's simply in a 2 cook family (3 to an
>> > extent when Charlotte is here), there are some dishes just one of
>> > us make but all of us like.
>> >
>> > I do use the quick and easy frozen veggies in many things.

>> My frozen mixed veggies contain:
>> - carrots
>> - peas
>> - corn
>> - green beans
>>
>> That's all. No green pepper or celery and thankfully no longer
>> contains lima beans. This simple mix is good for many uses.
>>
>> Of course there are alt varieties. One called Japanese blend, good
>> for stir fry.

>I use all sorts of versions. Some might be single veggie then mixed
>with another single veggie or 5 types depending on what I want to make.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 19:08:59 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:

>songbird wrote:
>
>> cshenk wrote:
>> ...tofu...
>> > Grin, we did a lot of that. Seafood was MUCH cheaper and we ate a
>> > lot of squid and giant prawns.
>> >
>> > I know we also made the kids 'stuffed baked squid' and they loved
>> > it. It will not at all sound 'right' but actually, it matched
>> > well. You chill then slice to rounds. Squid type used have a body
>> > core 1ft to 14 inches deep.

>> i'm good with squid, when done right.
>>

>> songbird

>Me too. Don excels at that one. Most were oiled (olive oil) then
>baked after stuffing. Stuffing varied from the same sort you'd use
>with a chiken to rice based and once, in Japan's virtual 'Monsoon'
>(it's not as bad as the real one but it's going to rain continuously
>for 2-3 weeks), I was caught out and used grits of all things! Mixed
>those with mushrooms, cheese, and some sort of veggie I don't recall.
>Wierd but it was actually good!

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 19:10:29 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>cshenk wrote:
>> Gary wrote:

>>> My frozen mixed veggies contain:
>>> - carrots
>>> - peas
>>> - corn
>>> - green beans
>>>
>>> That's all. No green pepper or celery and thankfully no longer
>>> contains lima beans. This simple mix is good for many uses.
>>>
>>> Of course there are alt varieties. One called Japanese blend, good
>>> for stir fry.

>> I use all sorts of versions. Some might be single veggie then mixed
>> with another single veggie or 5 types depending on what I want to make.
>>

>I thought old sailors preferred dehydrated vegetables?
>Learned that from Popeye.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2021 7:30 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 5/28/2021 5:02 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> There really isn't that much bell pepper in the frozen mix and I like
>>> the diced celery, too.Â* Celery isÂ* not something I keep on hand fresh
>>> so having it in that frozen veggie blend is convenient for making
>>> meatloaf mix.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> That works.Â* I don't see anything wrong with using some of the frozen
>> versions at all!Â* I'm pretty sure we have someplace but Don always
>> makes the meatloaf.Â* It's simply in a 2 cook family (3 to an extent
>> when Charlotte is here), there are some dishes just one of us make but
>> all of us like.
>>
>> I do use the quick and easy frozen veggies in many things.

> My frozen mixed veggies contain:
> Â*- carrots
> Â*- peas
> Â*- corn
> Â*- green beans
>
> That's all. No green pepper or celery and thankfully no longer contains
> lima beans. This simple mix is good for many uses.

Sure it is. It's the frozen version of canned Veg-All.

> Of course there are alt varieties. One called Japanese blend, good for
> stir fry.

Yes, there are other varieties. The one I use for meatloaf (on the rare
occasions I make meatloaf) happens to amount to the "holy trinity".

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2021 8:12 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 5/28/2021 5:19 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>> This was Japan days. 70% lean ground beef was 4$ a lb... Canned
>>> ham was closer to 3$lb. Haute cuisine? Definately not. What it
>>> was, was a good step up from oreos, ding-dongs, candy, doughnuts
>>> and such.
>>>
>>> Wince, I paid 15$ for a 3lb chicken there.
>>>

>> Wait, you were stationed there. You didn't have access to a military
>> commissary at Sasebo?
>>
>> Jill

> That was the commisary price. It was closer to 40$ out in town.

Wow! I'd always heard living in Japan was expensive but had no idea the
commissary prices would be that high.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:01:27 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/29/2021 7:30 AM, Gary wrote:

>>> That works.* I don't see anything wrong with using some of the frozen
>>> versions at all!* I'm pretty sure we have someplace but Don always
>>> makes the meatloaf.* It's simply in a 2 cook family (3 to an extent
>>> when Charlotte is here), there are some dishes just one of us make but
>>> all of us like.
>>>
>>> I do use the quick and easy frozen veggies in many things.

>> My frozen mixed veggies contain:
>> *- carrots
>> *- peas
>> *- corn
>> *- green beans
>>
>> That's all. No green pepper or celery and thankfully no longer contains
>> lima beans. This simple mix is good for many uses.
>>

>Sure it is. It's the frozen version of canned Veg-All.
>
>> Of course there are alt varieties. One called Japanese blend, good for
>> stir fry.
>>

>Yes, there are other varieties. The one I use for meatloaf (on the rare
>occasions I make meatloaf) happens to amount to the "holy trinity".
>
>Jill

Wait, it's also bad to use frozen vegetables? I cook with peas, corn,
lima beans, regular beans, chopped spinach. That's in addition to
using them for a vegetable by themselves.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-31 2:02 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/29/2021 8:12 PM, cshenk wrote:
>

>> That was the commisary price.Â* It was closer to 40$ out in town.
>>

> Wow!Â* I'd always heard living in Japan was expensive but had no idea the
> commissary prices would be that high.

Cheap Bob lived in Japan for a while. It was the wrong place for a penny
pincher like him to live. He brought back pictures of a fruit stand
complete with the price tags. That was probably 20 years ago and peaches
were about $3.50 a piece.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2021 2:16 PM, US Janet wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:01:27 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> My frozen mixed veggies contain:
>>> Â*- carrots
>>> Â*- peas
>>> Â*- corn
>>> Â*- green beans
>>>
>>> That's all. No green pepper or celery and thankfully no longer contains
>>> lima beans. This simple mix is good for many uses.
>>>

>> Sure it is. It's the frozen version of canned Veg-All.
>>
>>> Of course there are alt varieties. One called Japanese blend, good for
>>> stir fry.
>>>

>> Yes, there are other varieties. The one I use for meatloaf (on the rare
>> occasions I make meatloaf) happens to amount to the "holy trinity".
>>
>> Jill

> Wait, it's also bad to use frozen vegetables? I cook with peas, corn,
> lima beans, regular beans, chopped spinach. That's in addition to
> using them for a vegetable by themselves.
> Janet US

Gary doesn't appear to like the frozen diced veggie combo (onion, bell
pepper, celery) I use when I make meatloaf. He says *only* onion
belongs in meatloaf. I disagree. <shrug>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 12:16:05 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:01:27 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:

>>> My frozen mixed veggies contain:
>>> *- carrots
>>> *- peas
>>> *- corn
>>> *- green beans
>>>
>>> That's all. No green pepper or celery and thankfully no longer contains
>>> lima beans. This simple mix is good for many uses.
>>>

>>Sure it is. It's the frozen version of canned Veg-All.
>>
>>> Of course there are alt varieties. One called Japanese blend, good for
>>> stir fry.
>>>

>>Yes, there are other varieties. The one I use for meatloaf (on the rare
>>occasions I make meatloaf) happens to amount to the "holy trinity".
>>
>>Jill

>Wait, it's also bad to use frozen vegetables? I cook with peas, corn,
>lima beans, regular beans, chopped spinach. That's in addition to
>using them for a vegetable by themselves.
>Janet US

Since I grind the meat I grind the onions, celery and other veggies
too; some raw potato keeps it moist, and curly leaf parsely adds good
flavor, it's sweeter than flat leaf... I grind a handful stems and
all... I really don't like chopping parsley, especially the stems,
grinding is neater and much faster.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2021 2:49 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2021 12:16:05 -0600, US Janet >
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:01:27 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Sure it is. It's the frozen version of canned Veg-All.

>>> Yes, there are other varieties. The one I use for meatloaf (on the rare
>>> occasions I make meatloaf) happens to amount to the "holy trinity".
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Wait, it's also bad to use frozen vegetables? I cook with peas, corn,
>> lima beans, regular beans, chopped spinach. That's in addition to
>> using them for a vegetable by themselves.
>> Janet US

> Since I grind the meat I grind the onions, celery and other veggies
> too; some raw potato keeps it moist, and curly leaf parsely adds good
> flavor, it's sweeter than flat leaf... I grind a handful stems and
> all... I really don't like chopping parsley, especially the stems,
> grinding is neater and much faster.

We know, Sheldon. But since we were not talking about grinding meat or
vegetables *with* meat... non sequiter. We were talking about frozen
vegetables on hand to use in cooking and also to use as sides.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 15:23:30 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/31/2021 2:49 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 May 2021 12:16:05 -0600, US Janet >
>> wrote:

>>> Wait, it's also bad to use frozen vegetables? I cook with peas, corn,
>>> lima beans, regular beans, chopped spinach. That's in addition to
>>> using them for a vegetable by themselves.
>>> Janet US

>> Since I grind the meat I grind the onions, celery and other veggies
>> too; some raw potato keeps it moist, and curly leaf parsely adds good
>> flavor, it's sweeter than flat leaf... I grind a handful stems and
>> all... I really don't like chopping parsley, especially the stems,
>> grinding is neater and much faster.
>>

>We know, Sheldon. But since we were not talking about grinding meat or
>vegetables *with* meat... non sequiter. We were talking about frozen
>vegetables on hand to use in cooking and also to use as sides.
>
>Jill

The other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:49:59 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Mon, 31 May 2021 12:16:05 -0600, US Janet >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:01:27 -0400, jmcquown >
>>wrote:

>>>Sure it is. It's the frozen version of canned Veg-All.

>>>Yes, there are other varieties. The one I use for meatloaf (on the rare
>>>occasions I make meatloaf) happens to amount to the "holy trinity".
>>>
>>>Jill

>>Wait, it's also bad to use frozen vegetables? I cook with peas, corn,
>>lima beans, regular beans, chopped spinach. That's in addition to
>>using them for a vegetable by themselves.
>>Janet US

>Since I grind the meat I grind the onions, celery and other veggies
>too; some raw potato keeps it moist, and curly leaf parsely adds good
>flavor, it's sweeter than flat leaf... I grind a handful stems and
>all... I really don't like chopping parsley, especially the stems,
>grinding is neater and much faster.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:29:32 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/31/2021 2:16 PM, US Janet wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:01:27 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Sure it is. It's the frozen version of canned Veg-All.

>>> Yes, there are other varieties. The one I use for meatloaf (on the rare
>>> occasions I make meatloaf) happens to amount to the "holy trinity".
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Wait, it's also bad to use frozen vegetables? I cook with peas, corn,
>> lima beans, regular beans, chopped spinach. That's in addition to
>> using them for a vegetable by themselves.
>> Janet US
>>

>Gary doesn't appear to like the frozen diced veggie combo (onion, bell
>pepper, celery) I use when I make meatloaf. He says *only* onion
>belongs in meatloaf. I disagree. <shrug>
>
>Jill

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:01:27 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:

>>> My frozen mixed veggies contain:
>>> *- carrots
>>> *- peas
>>> *- corn
>>> *- green beans
>>>
>>> That's all. No green pepper or celery and thankfully no longer contains
>>> lima beans. This simple mix is good for many uses.
>>>

>>Sure it is. It's the frozen version of canned Veg-All.
>>
>>> Of course there are alt varieties. One called Japanese blend, good for
>>> stir fry.
>>>

>>Yes, there are other varieties. The one I use for meatloaf (on the rare
>>occasions I make meatloaf) happens to amount to the "holy trinity".
>>
>>Jill

>Wait, it's also bad to use frozen vegetables? I cook with peas, corn,
>lima beans, regular beans, chopped spinach. That's in addition to
>using them for a vegetable by themselves.
>Janet US

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:02:57 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/29/2021 8:12 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Wait, you were stationed there. You didn't have access to a military
>>> commissary at Sasebo?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> That was the commisary price. It was closer to 40$ out in town.
>>

>Wow! I'd always heard living in Japan was expensive but had no idea the
>commissary prices would be that high.
>
>Jill

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 5/29/2021 7:30 AM, Gary wrote:

>>> That works.* I don't see anything wrong with using some of the frozen
>>> versions at all!* I'm pretty sure we have someplace but Don always
>>> makes the meatloaf.* It's simply in a 2 cook family (3 to an extent
>>> when Charlotte is here), there are some dishes just one of us make but
>>> all of us like.
>>>
>>> I do use the quick and easy frozen veggies in many things.

>> My frozen mixed veggies contain:
>> *- carrots
>> *- peas
>> *- corn
>> *- green beans
>>
>> That's all. No green pepper or celery and thankfully no longer contains
>> lima beans. This simple mix is good for many uses.
>>

>Sure it is. It's the frozen version of canned Veg-All.
>
>> Of course there are alt varieties. One called Japanese blend, good for
>> stir fry.
>>

>Yes, there are other varieties. The one I use for meatloaf (on the rare
>occasions I make meatloaf) happens to amount to the "holy trinity".
>
>Jill

The other Dave Smith.