Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Uh Oh!

On Thu, 27 May 2021 08:39:45 -0400, songbird >
wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> That's certainly a different take on any meatloaf I've ever heard of.
>> I'll have to save this and think about it a bit. You sort of lost me at
>> 'molasses', though.

> a lot of bbq sauces have either molasses or brown sugar
>in them. i'm sure you could use regular sugar or skip it
>entirely if you wanted as ketchup has enough sugar in it.
>it just doesn't glaze as well that way.
>
> it is probably not that much molasses. no measurements
>given.
>

> songbird

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 12:41:56 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Wed, 26 May 2021 20:41:08 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 26 May 2021 18:28:52 -0600, US Janet >
>>wrote:

>>>Until a couple years ago I made my meat loaf just the regular way. I
>>>saw this recipe on the Lipton box and I could see that the soup mix
>>>replaced the onions and the salt. Otherwise it is the same old
>>>thing. I don't like chopping onions so I thought I would give it a
>>>try. I am satisfied with it and have continued to make it the Lipton
>>>way.
>>>Janet US

>>I have been substituting dehydrated onion in meatloaf for years. I
>>did not change the rest of my ml add-ins, which are egg, ketchup,
>>milk, fresh breadcrumbs, salt & pepper.
>>
>>About 20 minutes before it is done, I pour over a "sauce" of molasses,
>>ketchup, yellow mustard and sprinkle that with thinly sliced onions.
>>
>>I swear, if anyone had recommended doing some of the above, I'd have
>>arched an eyebrow, but I ate the ml done this way ages ago at my
>>sister's and have been forever grateful.

>Most restaurants and all commissaries use dehys as much as possible...
>they keep practically forever and need no refrigeration. I swear by
>dehy potatoes, no paring, and are available in all forms; sliced,
>diced, chunks, etc. The US Navy developed all sorts of dehys for sea
>storage, and space travel. Didja know that better than 90% of the
>eggs produced are used as dehys... it's difficult to find egg shells
>at bakeries. Better than 95% of the strawberries produced in the US
>become dehys.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 21:11:08 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Thu, 27 May 2021 08:09:13 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 26 May 2021 18:28:52 -0600, US Janet >
>>wrote:

>>>Until a couple years ago I made my meat loaf just the regular way. I
>>>saw this recipe on the Lipton box and I could see that the soup mix
>>>replaced the onions and the salt. Otherwise it is the same old
>>>thing. I don't like chopping onions so I thought I would give it a
>>>try. I am satisfied with it and have continued to make it the Lipton
>>>way.
>>>Janet US

>>For years I never understood why people had difficulty peeling onions,
>>then I had cataract surgery on both eyes and after that, plenty of
>>tears when peeling onions as I no longer wore contacts!

>lol

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 11:58:02 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 1:01:46 PM UTC-5, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:

>> > And almost all beans are canned, right?
>> >

>> Hmmm...not sure...
>>
>> https://usdrybeans.com/industry/production-facts/
>>
>> https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...215071531.html
>>
>> https://www.agmrc.org/commodities-pr...e-bean-profile
>>
>> Demand
>> Dry bean consumption in the United States has recently rallied, reaching
>> 7.5 pounds in 2016 (US Dry Bean Council 2017). The major uses of dry
>> beans include dry packaged beans for home use, canned beans (both whole
>> beans and otherwise), brine-packed whole beans and bean flour for
>> commercial baking. Supermarkets sell bagged dry beans and canned
>> products such as refried beans, soups, chili and baked beans.
>> Restaurants use dry edible beans in foods such as tacos, burritos and
>> chili. Restaurants and the fast food market accounted for a significant
>> percentage of cooked bean consumption (ERS 2000).
>>

>A couple of years ago, I was at a grocery store that had 1# bags of black
>beans marked down from 99 cents to 50 cents, so I bought a few, but they
>scanned for 10 cents, so I went back and bought all they had left, about a
>dozen or so bags. A few days ago, I cooked some for about 75 minutes in
>the pressure cooker, then pureed them in the blender and added sunflower
>oil before cooking them down. Less than 2 cents worth of beans along with
>some pounded and cut up steak, and a bunch of cheese made for a nice
>Mexican seasoned meal with salsa and tortilla chips.
>
>I'm making Mexican influenced corn this afternoon, corn cut off the cob
>cooked with chopped blackened serranos to accompany pan seared steak.
>I'll also make a simple L&T salad with just a squeeze of Key lime.
>>

>--Bryan

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2021 8:39 AM, songbird wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> That's certainly a different take on any meatloaf I've ever heard of.
>> I'll have to save this and think about it a bit. You sort of lost me at
>> 'molasses', though.

> a lot of bbq sauces have either molasses or brown sugar
> in them. i'm sure you could use regular sugar or skip it
> entirely if you wanted as ketchup has enough sugar in it.
> it just doesn't glaze as well that way.
>
> it is probably not that much molasses. no measurements
> given.
>

> songbird

Ah! I don't "glaze" meatloaf. I really don't like it when there is
ketchup slathered on top.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2021 2:11 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2021 21:25:58 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 May 2021 20:41:08 -0400, Boron Elgar
>> > wrote:

>>> I have been substituting dehydrated onion in meatloaf for years.

>> Do you also add salt, corn flour, hydrolyzed soy and wheat protein,
>> sugar, partially hydrogenated palm oil, caramel color, maltodextrin,
>> natural and artificial flavors, monosodium glutamate, disodium
>> phosphate, arabic gum, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate?
> > Who are you bullshitting, like most you've never ground your own

> meat... you eat mystery meat. I can honestly say I've never bought
> *disgusting* mystery meat. Anyone who doesn't own a meat grinder
> can't cook. My grand parents and my parents ground their own meat,
> and so have I. I own two meat grinders, one was too small, so I
> bought a larger one.

First of all, that wasn't the "real" Dave Smith you were replying to.
He doesn't post ingredients lists. Secondly, I own a meat grinder but I
use so little ground meat in the grand scheme of things it's simply not
worth bothering with. I'm not afraid of the butcher at the supermarket.
If I hand them a small nicely marbled chuck roast and ask them to
grind it for me they'll do it for free. Anyone can watch them working
through the glass. I do not believe they are picking up scraps off the
floor or whatever it is you think they're doing. They also clean the
grinder between grinding different types of meat. It's not a "mystery".

As for your grandparents, both of my grandmothers' used to kill chickens
and pluck them while sitting on kitchen steps. Doesn't mean I want to
do it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-27 3:47 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/27/2021 8:39 AM, songbird wrote:

>> Â*Â* it is probably not that much molasses.Â* no measurements
>> given.
>>

>> Â*Â* songbird
>>

> Ah!Â* I don't "glaze" meatloaf.Â* I really don't like it when there is
> ketchup slathered on top.

Tastes vary. I rarely use ketchup, but I do use quite a bit of it when
I make meatloaf. I use in in the meat, on the bottom of the baking pan,
slathered on top and as a condiment with the finished product.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2021 21:25:58 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 May 2021 20:41:08 -0400, Boron Elgar
>> > wrote:

>>> I have been substituting dehydrated onion in meatloaf for years.

>> Do you also add salt, corn flour, hydrolyzed soy and wheat protein,
>> sugar, partially hydrogenated palm oil, caramel color, maltodextrin,
>> natural and artificial flavors, monosodium glutamate, disodium
>> phosphate, arabic gum, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate?

> Who are you bullshitting, like most you've never ground your own
> meat... you eat mystery meat. I can honestly say I've never bought
> *disgusting* mystery meat. Anyone who doesn't own a meat grinder
> can't cook. My grand parents and my parents ground their own meat,
> and so have I. I own two meat grinders, one was too small, so I
> bought a larger one.

Master doctor druce sure got yoose worked up Popeye!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/27/2021 2:11 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 May 2021 21:25:58 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 26 May 2021 20:41:08 -0400, Boron Elgar

>>> Do you also add salt, corn flour, hydrolyzed soy and wheat protein,
>>> sugar, partially hydrogenated palm oil, caramel color,
>>> maltodextrin,
>>> natural and artificial flavors, monosodium glutamate, disodium
>>> phosphate, arabic gum, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate?
>> > Who are you bullshitting, like most you've never ground your own

>> meat... you eat mystery meat.* I can honestly say I've never bought
>> *disgusting* mystery meat.* Anyone who doesn't own a meat grinder
>> can't cook.* My grand parents and my parents ground their own meat,
>> and so have I.* I own two meat grinders, one was too small, so I
>> bought a larger one.
>>

> First of all, that wasn't the "real" Dave Smith you were replying
> to. He doesn't post ingredients lists.* Secondly, I own a meat
> grinder but I use so little ground meat in the grand scheme of
> things it's simply not worth bothering with.* I'm not afraid of the
> butcher at the supermarket. *If I hand them a small nicely marbled
> chuck roast and ask them to grind it for me they'll do it for
> free.* Anyone can watch them working through the glass.* I do not
> believe they are picking up scraps off the floor or whatever it is
> you think they're doing.* They also clean the grinder between
> grinding different types of meat.* It's not a "mystery".
>
> As for your grandparents, both of my grandmothers' used to kill
> chickens and pluck them while sitting on kitchen steps.* Doesn't
> mean I want to do it.
>
> Jill

I bet they didn't have a diesel powered meat grinder like Popeye!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-05-27 3:47 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 5/27/2021 8:39 AM, songbird wrote:

>>> Â*Â* it is probably not that much molasses.Â* no measurements
>>> given.
>>>

>>> Â*Â* songbird
>>>

>> Ah!Â* I don't "glaze" meatloaf.Â* I really don't like it when
>> there is ketchup slathered on top.

> *Tastes vary. I rarely use ketchup, but I do use quite a bit of it
> when I make meatloaf. I use in in the meat, on the bottom of the
> baking pan, slathered on top and as a condiment with the finished
> product.

I bet all this slathering is making graham dizzy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 16:01:36 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/27/2021 2:11 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 May 2021 21:25:58 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 26 May 2021 20:41:08 -0400, Boron Elgar

>>> Do you also add salt, corn flour, hydrolyzed soy and wheat protein,
>>> sugar, partially hydrogenated palm oil, caramel color, maltodextrin,
>>> natural and artificial flavors, monosodium glutamate, disodium
>>> phosphate, arabic gum, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate?
>> > Who are you bullshitting, like most you've never ground your own

>> meat... you eat mystery meat. I can honestly say I've never bought
>> *disgusting* mystery meat. Anyone who doesn't own a meat grinder
>> can't cook. My grand parents and my parents ground their own meat,
>> and so have I. I own two meat grinders, one was too small, so I
>> bought a larger one.
>>

>First of all, that wasn't the "real" Dave Smith you were replying to.
>He doesn't post ingredients lists. Secondly, I own a meat grinder but I
>use so little ground meat in the grand scheme of things it's simply not
>worth bothering with. I'm not afraid of the butcher at the supermarket.
> If I hand them a small nicely marbled chuck roast and ask them to
>grind it for me they'll do it for free. Anyone can watch them working
>through the glass. I do not believe they are picking up scraps off the
>floor or whatever it is you think they're doing. They also clean the
>grinder between grinding different types of meat. It's not a "mystery".
>
>As for your grandparents, both of my grandmothers' used to kill chickens
>and pluck them while sitting on kitchen steps. Doesn't mean I want to
>do it.
>
>Jill

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2021 4:25 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-05-27 3:47 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 5/27/2021 8:39 AM, songbird wrote:

>>> Â*Â* it is probably not that much molasses.Â* no measurements
>>> given.
>>>

>>> Â*Â* songbird
>>>

>> Ah!Â* I don't "glaze" meatloaf.Â* I really don't like it when there is
>> ketchup slathered on top.

> Â*Tastes vary. I rarely use ketchup, but I do use quite a bit of it when
> I make meatloaf. I use in in the meat, on the bottom of the baking pan,
> slathered on top and as a condiment with the finished product.

I guess I'm just not that much of a ketchup fan.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 18:29:59 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/27/2021 4:25 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Ah!* I don't "glaze" meatloaf.* I really don't like it when there is
>>> ketchup slathered on top.

>> *Tastes vary. I rarely use ketchup, but I do use quite a bit of it when
>> I make meatloaf. I use in in the meat, on the bottom of the baking pan,
>> slathered on top and as a condiment with the finished product.

>I guess I'm just not that much of a ketchup fan.
>
>Jill

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 19:14:04 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/27/2021 6:39 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Janet wrote:
>>
>>> In article >, lid says...

>>> Surely the question is " does it matter, or make any difference to
>>> flavour, if the Lipton Onion Soup Mix has been consumed and excreted
>>> by maggots in the packet"
>>>
>>> Janet UK

>> Eeewww. What makes you think it was unsealed so had maggots?
>>

>Trolls.
>
>Jill

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

US Janet wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 2021 02:58:10 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 1:48:34 AM UTC-4, US Janet wrote:
> >> On Mon, 24 May 2021 20:11:13 -0400, Boron Elgar

> 2019. >> >>I'm a bad girl. ;((

> >> A connoisseur of the fine things in life!
> >> Janet US

> > This article was reprinted in my local newspaper this morning:
> >
> > <https://www.al.com/life/2021/05/betty-crocker-raised-my-boys.html>
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Good idea for kids. I always wondered how a mom could afford to feed
> the hoard every day after school.
> Janet US

I have a huge series of recipes from my days in Japan. Once we moved
to the base housing (a large apartment complex) we had what we called
'a flock of kids'.

It was very much a common cultural 'thing' in quite a bit of Asia to
have an almost 'Auntie' who would in rotation handle that 'after
school, before dinner' bit of hungry kids growing like weeds. We were
also mostly wanting healthy foods, not 'cakes and cookies or chips
every day'.

Here's one of them. Not haute cuisine but it was hot, ready as they
arrived and one of the probably 45-50 things I had for them over close
to 4 years when I lived in military housing. It was a big tall rise
apartment complex called Dragoncrest, in Sasebo Japan.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Rainy Day Flock Stew
Categories: Xxcarol, Crockpot, Ham, Soups/stews
Yield: 12 Servings

3 c Chopped cooked ham, canned
16 oz Frozen cut okra
28 oz Can crushed tomatoes
16 oz Can stewed tomatoes w/ water
1/2 c Chopped onion
1 ea Chopped green pepper, bell
1 ts Curry spice mix, Jamaican
1 ea 2.25oz can black olives

It's raining and I just had to cook something! The local kids here
travel in a flock and my place is one of the more popular. I try to
have something simple around for them.

The canned ham is that simple inexpensive water-pack type. I had
alot of it in the freezer to use up. You can use something else for
the meat here but this one matches the spices I used. Also, as it's
meant for kids I reduced the onions and didnt add much spice.

The spice is a curry blend from Jamaica, with cumin, coriander,
tumeric, fenugreek, black and red pepper, and garlic. It is fairly
mild.

Pretty much chop up all the goodies and add to the crockpot then pour
over the cans (including the liquids) and add the spice. Let cook on
low for 6 hours then adjust seasonings. If you want to adapt this to
a thick soup, add 1-2 cups of chicken broth or 1 can tomato soup and
1 can water. Left as a stew, it's a good topper for a bowl of rice
from the ricemaker. Made to a soup, add a scoup of rice to the soup.

Optional Additions: Adults may want more onion and to add some medium
level heat chiles.

Serving Suggestions: With rice, it's a complete meal. Adults will
enjoy a mild 7-Up cooler with white wine. For kids, Kool-aide rocks!

From the Sasebo kitchen of: xxcarol 2AUG2004

MMMMM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 18:30:30 -0500, "cshenk"
> [...]

> mild.
>
> Pretty much chop up all the goodies and add to the crockpot then pour
> over the cans (including the liquids) and add the spice. Let cook on
> low for 6 hours then adjust seasonings. If you want to adapt this to
> a thick soup, add 1-2 cups of chicken broth or 1 can tomato soup and
> 1 can water. Left as a stew, it's a good topper for a bowl of rice
> from the ricemaker. Made to a soup, add a scoup of rice to the soup.
>
> Optional Additions: Adults may want more onion and to add some medium
> level heat chiles.
>
> Serving Suggestions: With rice, it's a complete meal. Adults will
> enjoy a mild 7-Up cooler with white wine. For kids, Kool-aide rocks!
>
> From the Sasebo kitchen of: xxcarol 2AUG2004
>
>MMMMM

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 18:27:49 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>cshenk wrote:
>> Janet wrote:
>>
>>> In article >, lid says...

>>> Surely the question is " does it matter, or make any difference to
>>> flavour, if the Lipton Onion Soup Mix has been consumed and excreted
>>> by maggots in the packet"
>>>
>>> Janet UK

>> Eeewww. What makes you think it was unsealed so had maggots?
>>

>Most navies considered any source of protein acceptable for sailors
>in the 17th and 18th centuries.
>
>Some whined, as you still do today.
>
>Yoose not alone, Popeye whines too.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2021 7:22 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 5/26/2021 9:12 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 5/26/2021 8:28 PM, US Janet wrote:

>>> Until a couple years ago I made my meat loaf just the regular way.Â* I
>>> saw this recipe on the Lipton box and I could see that the soup mix
>>> replaced the onions and the salt.Â*Â*Â* Otherwise it is the same old
>>> thing.Â* I don't like chopping onions so I thought I would give it a
>>> try.Â* I am satisfied with it and have continued to make it the Lipton
>>> way.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> If it works, great!Â* I haven't made meat loaf in at least a year but I
>> do cheat and use a mix of frozen diced veggies - onions, celery, bell
>> pepper since I really don't like chopping vegetables, either.

> Why is adding frozen vegetables "cheating?"

It's only "cheating" because some purists think you should only use
freshly chopped vegetables. I find the frozen combo to be perfectly
acceptible.

>> Thaw, drain well and add to the meat mixture.

> That doesn't sound good at all. Basically, only onions should go in a
> meatloaf mixture. Don't try to overdo the good stuff. Use the other
> vegetables as a side dish on the plate. My preference is green beans and
> mashed potatoes.

Oh, I'm terriby sorry I like something more than just onion in my
meatloaf mixture! I also use oats in mine rather than breadcrumbs or
cracker (saltines) crumbs, although I've used fresh breadcrumbs with
nice results. Never did like it made with crumbled/crushed saltines.
No ketchup on top either, thank you.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> [...]

>> mild.
>>
>> Pretty much chop up all the goodies and add to the crockpot then pour
>> over the cans (including the liquids) and add the spice. Let cook on
>> low for 6 hours then adjust seasonings. If you want to adapt this to
>> a thick soup, add 1-2 cups of chicken broth or 1 can tomato soup and
>> 1 can water. Left as a stew, it's a good topper for a bowl of rice
>> from the ricemaker. Made to a soup, add a scoup of rice to the soup.
>>
>> Optional Additions: Adults may want more onion and to add some medium
>> level heat chiles.
>>
>> Serving Suggestions: With rice, it's a complete meal. Adults will
>> enjoy a mild 7-Up cooler with white wine. For kids, Kool-aide rocks!
>>
>> From the Sasebo kitchen of: xxcarol 2AUG2004
>>
>> MMMMM
>>

> Ask them, theyre here. "You can stop saying that now. Thank you."

You know druce ... You are only making an ass of yourself,
confirming your previous status.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 19:50:10 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/27/2021 7:22 AM, Gary wrote:
>> On 5/26/2021 9:12 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> If it works, great!Â* I haven't made meat loaf in at least a year but I
>>> do cheat and use a mix of frozen diced veggies - onions, celery, bell
>>> pepper since I really don't like chopping vegetables, either.

>> Why is adding frozen vegetables "cheating?"
>>

>It's only "cheating" because some purists think you should only use
>freshly chopped vegetables. I find the frozen combo to be perfectly
>acceptible.

Food scientists often say that frozen vegetables are as good as or
better than fresh vegetables. They can be better in the sense that
they're frozen at their prime and fresh vegetables can be getting on.

So, in this case, the purists can sit on the rough end of a fresh
pineapple and spin.

--
This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent wrote:

> On 5/27/2021 9:41 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 May 2021 20:41:08 -0400, Boron Elgar
> > wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, 26 May 2021 18:28:52 -0600, US Janet

> > > I have been substituting dehydrated onion in meatloaf for years.
> > > I did not change the rest of my ml add-ins, which are egg,
> > > ketchup, milk, fresh breadcrumbs, salt & pepper.
> > >
> > > About 20 minutes before it is done, I pour over a "sauce" of
> > > molasses, ketchup, yellow mustard and sprinkle that with thinly
> > > sliced onions.
> > >
> > > I swear, if anyone had recommended doing some of the above, I'd
> > > have arched an eyebrow, but I ate the ml done this way ages ago
> > > at my sister's and have been forever grateful.

> > Most restaurants and all commissaries use dehys as much as
> > possible... they keep practically forever and need no
> > refrigeration. I swear by dehy potatoes, no paring, and are
> > available in all forms; sliced, diced, chunks, etc. The US Navy
> > developed all sorts of dehys for sea storage, and space travel.
> > Didja know that better than 90% of the eggs produced are used as
> > dehys... it's difficult to find egg shells at bakeries. Better
> > than 95% of the strawberries produced in the US become dehys.
> >

> 100% of your statistics are dehydrated BS.

Yup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> On 5/26/2021 9:12 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> > On 5/26/2021 8:28 PM, US Janet wrote:
> > > On Wed, 26 May 2021 18:43:00 -0400, jmcquown

> > > Until a couple years ago I made my meat loaf just the regular
> > > way. I saw this recipe on the Lipton box and I could see that
> > > the soup mix replaced the onions and the salt. Otherwise it is
> > > the same old thing. I don't like chopping onions so I thought I
> > > would give it a try. I am satisfied with it and have continued
> > > to make it the Lipton way.
> > > Janet US
> > >

> > If it works, great! I haven't made meat loaf in at least a year
> > but I do cheat and use a mix of frozen diced veggies - onions,
> > celery, bell pepper since I really don't like chopping vegetables,
> > either.

> Why is adding frozen vegetables "cheating?"
>
> > Thaw, drain well and add to the meat mixture.

> That doesn't sound good at all. Basically, only onions should go in a
> meatloaf mixture. Don't try to overdo the good stuff. Use the other
> vegetables as a side dish on the plate. My preference is green beans
> and mashed potatoes.

Actually, I like a little bell pepper in there. Not too much and diced
small.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 5/27/2021 6:39 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Janet wrote:
> >
> > > In article >, lid
> > > says...

> >> Surely the question is " does it matter, or make any difference

> > > flavour, if the Lipton Onion Soup Mix has been consumed and
> > > excreted by maggots in the packet"
> > >
> >> Janet UK

> > Eeewww. What makes you think it was unsealed so had maggots?
> >

> Trolls.
>
> Jill

Sorry, I think we all trip one one now and again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-27 1:17 p.m., Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 5/27/2021 9:41 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:

>> Most restaurants and all commissaries use dehys as much as possible...
>> they keep practically forever and need no refrigeration.Â*Â*Â* I swear by
>> dehy potatoes, no paring, and are available in all forms; sliced,
>> diced, chunks, etc.Â* The US Navy developed all sorts of dehys for sea
>> storage, and space travel.Â* Didja know that better than 90% of the
>> eggs produced are used as dehys... it's difficult to find egg shells
>> at bakeries.Â* Better than 95% of the strawberries produced in the US
>> become dehys.
>>

> 100% of your statistics are dehydrated BS.

Would dehydrated BS be unadulterated?
There are about 76 billion eggs produced each year 30% are processed.
That includes, liquid, frozen and dehydrated. That makes it difficult
for 95% of them to be dehydrated.

Only 18% of the American strawberry crop is processed. A lot of them are
used to make strawberry jam and a lot are canned or frozen. That makes
it pretty hard for 95% of them to be dehydrated.

https://issuu.com/usuextension/docs/...0dc/s/10352750

https://www.agmrc.org/commodities-pr...s/strawberries
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Taxed and Spent wrote:
>
>> On 5/27/2021 9:41 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>> On Wed, 26 May 2021 20:41:08 -0400, Boron Elgar

>>> Most restaurants and all commissaries use dehys as much as
>>> possible... they keep practically forever and need no
>>> refrigeration. I swear by dehy potatoes, no paring, and are
>>> available in all forms; sliced, diced, chunks, etc. The US Navy
>>> developed all sorts of dehys for sea storage, and space travel.
>>> Didja know that better than 90% of the eggs produced are used as
>>> dehys... it's difficult to find egg shells at bakeries. Better
>>> than 95% of the strawberries produced in the US become dehys.
>>>

>> 100% of your statistics are dehydrated BS.

> Yup.

Nope, Popeye lives in a jewish section of brooklyn. Time has stood
still there. They still get milk delivered in horse drawn wagons.
Some folks pick up horse turds in the streets to use as fuel.

Most have sex with their aunts, or even mothers. You can buy food
from street vendors cooked on coal stoves.

It's pretty much an inbred society, though some have imported
mexican wives to help with the retarded gene pool.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2021 8:38 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
>> On 5/26/2021 9:12 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> That doesn't sound good at all. Basically, only onions should go in a
>> meatloaf mixture. Don't try to overdo the good stuff. Use the other
>> vegetables as a side dish on the plate. My preference is green beans
>> and mashed potatoes.

> Actually, I like a little bell pepper in there. Not too much and diced
> small.

There really isn't that much bell pepper in the frozen mix and I like
the diced celery, too. Celery is not something I keep on hand fresh so
having it in that frozen veggie blend is convenient for making meatloaf mix.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 21:52:34 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/27/2021 8:38 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Gary wrote:
>>
>>> On 5/26/2021 9:12 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> That doesn't sound good at all. Basically, only onions should go in a
>>> meatloaf mixture. Don't try to overdo the good stuff. Use the other
>>> vegetables as a side dish on the plate. My preference is green beans
>>> and mashed potatoes.

>> Actually, I like a little bell pepper in there. Not too much and diced
>> small.
>>

>There really isn't that much bell pepper in the frozen mix and I like
>the diced celery, too. Celery is not something I keep on hand fresh so
>having it in that frozen veggie blend is convenient for making meatloaf mix.
>
>Jill

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 20:19:53 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>cshenk wrote:
>> Taxed and Spent wrote:

>>> 100% of your statistics are dehydrated BS.

>> Yup.
>>

>Nope, Popeye lives in a jewish section of brooklyn. Time has stood
>still there. They still get milk delivered in horse drawn wagons.
>Some folks pick up horse turds in the streets to use as fuel.
>
>Most have sex with their aunts, or even mothers. You can buy food
>from street vendors cooked on coal stoves.
>
>It's pretty much an inbred society, though some have imported
>mexican wives to help with the retarded gene pool.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 19:39:34 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:

>> > Eeewww. What makes you think it was unsealed so had maggots?
>> >

>> Trolls.
>>
>> Jill

>Sorry, I think we all trip one one now and again.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 19:32:05 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:

>Taxed and Spent wrote:
>
>> On 5/27/2021 9:41 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:

>> > Most restaurants and all commissaries use dehys as much as
>> > possible... they keep practically forever and need no
>> > refrigeration. I swear by dehy potatoes, no paring, and are
>> > available in all forms; sliced, diced, chunks, etc. The US Navy
>> > developed all sorts of dehys for sea storage, and space travel.
>> > Didja know that better than 90% of the eggs produced are used as
>> > dehys... it's difficult to find egg shells at bakeries. Better
>> > than 95% of the strawberries produced in the US become dehys.
>> >

>> 100% of your statistics are dehydrated BS.

>Yup.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 19:05:55 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 May 2021 18:30:30 -0500, "cshenk"
>> > wrote:

>>> I have a huge series of recipes from my days in Japan. Once we moved
>>> to the base housing (a large apartment complex) we had what we called
>>> 'a flock of kids'.
>>>
>>> It was very much a common cultural 'thing' in quite a bit of Asia to
>>> have an almost 'Auntie' who would in rotation handle that 'after
>>> school, before dinner' bit of hungry kids growing like weeds. We were
>>> also mostly wanting healthy foods, not 'cakes and cookies or chips
>>> every day'.
>>>
>>> Here's one of them. Not haute cuisine but it was hot, ready as they
>>> arrived and one of the probably 45-50 things I had for them over close
>>> to 4 years when I lived in military housing. It was a big tall rise
>>> apartment complex called Dragoncrest, in Sasebo Japan.
>>>

>>> MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05
>>>
>>> Title: Xxcarol's Rainy Day Flock Stew
>>> Categories: Xxcarol, Crockpot, Ham, Soups/stews
>>> Yield: 12 Servings
>>>
>>> 3 c Chopped cooked ham, canned
>>> 16 oz Frozen cut okra
>>> 28 oz Can crushed tomatoes
>>> 16 oz Can stewed tomatoes w/ water
>>> 1/2 c Chopped onion
>>> 1 ea Chopped green pepper, bell
>>> 1 ts Curry spice mix, Jamaican
>>> 1 ea 2.25oz can black olives
>>>
>>> It's raining and I just had to cook something! The local kids here
>>> travel in a flock and my place is one of the more popular. I try to
>>> have something simple around for them.
>>>
>>> The canned ham is that simple inexpensive water-pack type. I had
>>> alot of it in the freezer to use up. You can use something else for
>>> the meat here but this one matches the spices I used. Also, as it's
>>> meant for kids I reduced the onions and didnt add much spice.
>>>
>>> The spice is a curry blend from Jamaica, with cumin, coriander,
>>> tumeric, fenugreek, black and red pepper, and garlic. It is fairly
>>> mild.
>>>
>>> Pretty much chop up all the goodies and add to the crockpot then pour
>>> over the cans (including the liquids) and add the spice. Let cook on
>>> low for 6 hours then adjust seasonings. If you want to adapt this to
>>> a thick soup, add 1-2 cups of chicken broth or 1 can tomato soup and
>>> 1 can water. Left as a stew, it's a good topper for a bowl of rice
>>> from the ricemaker. Made to a soup, add a scoup of rice to the soup.
>>>
>>> Optional Additions: Adults may want more onion and to add some medium
>>> level heat chiles.
>>>
>>> Serving Suggestions: With rice, it's a complete meal. Adults will
>>> enjoy a mild 7-Up cooler with white wine. For kids, Kool-aide rocks!
>>>
>>> From the Sasebo kitchen of: xxcarol 2AUG2004
>>>
>>> MMMMM
>>>

>> Ask them, theyre here. "You can stop saying that now. Thank you."
>>

>You know druce ... You are only making an ass of yourself,
>confirming your previous status.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I guess I'm just not that much of a ketchup fan.

i also like mustard based bbq sauces.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05
>
> Title: Xxcarol's Rainy Day Flock Stew
> Categories: Xxcarol, Crockpot, Ham, Soups/stews
> Yield: 12 Servings
>
> 3 c Chopped cooked ham, canned
> 16 oz Frozen cut okra
> 28 oz Can crushed tomatoes
> 16 oz Can stewed tomatoes w/ water
> 1/2 c Chopped onion
> 1 ea Chopped green pepper, bell
> 1 ts Curry spice mix, Jamaican
> 1 ea 2.25oz can black olives

while i can eat about anything and could eat this
it sounds borderline hideous.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2021 07:17:32 -0400, songbird >
wrote:

>cshenk wrote:
>> MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05
>>
>> Title: Xxcarol's Rainy Day Flock Stew
>> Categories: Xxcarol, Crockpot, Ham, Soups/stews
>> Yield: 12 Servings
>>
>> 3 c Chopped cooked ham, canned
>> 16 oz Frozen cut okra
>> 28 oz Can crushed tomatoes
>> 16 oz Can stewed tomatoes w/ water
>> 1/2 c Chopped onion
>> 1 ea Chopped green pepper, bell
>> 1 ts Curry spice mix, Jamaican
>> 1 ea 2.25oz can black olives

> while i can eat about anything and could eat this
>it sounds borderline hideous.

Apart from the ham, all the ingredients are ok, so you must be fearing
a horrible flavour clash somewhere.

--
This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2021 7:04 AM, songbird wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> I guess I'm just not that much of a ketchup fan.

> i also like mustard based bbq sauces.
>

> songbird

When it comes to BBQ sauce it's vinegar based for me, if I have to have
sauce. No sauce or glaze on meatloaf, thank you very much.

I add a little bottled cocktail sauce (yeah, the stuff made for shrimp
cocktail; has a bit of horse radish in it) to the meat mixture.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, cshenk1
@virginia-beach.net says...

> Janet wrote:
>
> > In article >, lid says...

> > > 2019. >> I'm a bad girl. ;((

> > > "Lipton Recipe Soup & Dip Mix, Onion
> > > Dehydrated Onions, Salt, Corn Flour, Hydrolyzed Soy and Wheat
> > > Protein, Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Caramel Color,
> > > Maltodextrin, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Monosodium Glutamate,
> > > Disodium Phosphate, Arabic Gum, Disodium Inosinate and Disodium
> > > Guanylate."
> > >
> > > The question is not "When does it go off" but "Was it off from the
> > > get-go"?

> > Surely the question is " does it matter, or make any difference to
> > flavour, if the Lipton Onion Soup Mix has been consumed and excreted
> > by maggots in the packet"
> >
> > Janet UK

> Eeewww. What makes you think it was unsealed so had maggots?

I reckon the fly eggs were on the onions, got trapped in the packet
before it was sealed, hatched into maggotts who ate and shat dried
onions until they ran out of food.

Janet UK