Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken/veggie broth

The last of it is in the crockpot now until I buy more chicken.

Covered on high until it starts to simmer then turned down to low until
tomorrow morning...about 24 hours.

This will yield almost 1/2 gallon and be strained and frozen in 2-cup
portions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 May 2021 08:29:07 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>The last of it is in the crockpot now until I buy more chicken.
>
>Covered on high until it starts to simmer then turned down to low until
>tomorrow morning...about 24 hours.
>
>This will yield almost 1/2 gallon and be strained and frozen in 2-cup
>portions.

I've never made chicken stock in a crock pot. I buy a roasting
chicken and simmer it on very low heat in enough water to cover (~6
quarts) with herbs/veggies, season to taste when done (s n'p). You
may quarter the chicken making it easier to remove the meat at the end
(makes excellent chicken salad). I usually use the breasts from two
roasting chickens in my 18 qt stock pot... the dark meat gets oven
roasted.
Saved chicken scraps/trimmings and veggie trash does not make decent
stock... not really worth your time and effort for that weak
pishvasser. Properly made, chicken stock should yield a rich golden
color... don't forget the parsnip.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 10:19:37 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2021 08:29:07 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >The last of it is in the crockpot now until I buy more chicken.
> >
> >Covered on high until it starts to simmer then turned down to low until
> >tomorrow morning...about 24 hours.
> >
> >This will yield almost 1/2 gallon and be strained and frozen in 2-cup
> >portions.

> I've never made chicken stock in a crock pot. I buy a roasting
> chicken and simmer it on very low heat in enough water to cover (~6
> quarts) with herbs/veggies, season to taste when done (s n'p). You
> may quarter the chicken making it easier to remove the meat at the end
> (makes excellent chicken salad). I usually use the breasts from two
> roasting chickens in my 18 qt stock pot... the dark meat gets oven
> roasted.
> Saved chicken scraps/trimmings and veggie trash does not make decent
> stock... not really worth your time and effort for that weak
> pishvasser. Properly made, chicken stock should yield a rich golden
> color... don't forget the parsnip.

Plenty of chicken fat will help with that if you have catch a cold or something. Plenty of chicken fat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 May 2021 08:29:07 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>The last of it is in the crockpot now until I buy more chicken.
>
>Covered on high until it starts to simmer then turned down to low until
>tomorrow morning...about 24 hours.
>
>This will yield almost 1/2 gallon and be strained and frozen in 2-cup
>portions.

Two quarts is only two servings. Hardly pays to make so little. Gary
borrows a pediactric sippy cup from Kootchie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 8:29:14 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> The last of it is in the crockpot now until I buy more chicken.
>
> Covered on high until it starts to simmer then turned down to low until
> tomorrow morning...about 24 hours.
>
> This will yield almost 1/2 gallon and be strained and frozen in 2-cup
> portions.

Half a gallon wouldn't be worth the effort for me.

I hate dealing with that heavy-ass crock and I'm always worried I'll
break it. I'll go with my 12-quart stockpot.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 May 2021 08:22:51 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 8:29:14 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> The last of it is in the crockpot now until I buy more chicken.
>>
>> Covered on high until it starts to simmer then turned down to low until
>> tomorrow morning...about 24 hours.
>>
>> This will yield almost 1/2 gallon and be strained and frozen in 2-cup
>> portions.

>Half a gallon wouldn't be worth the effort for me.
>
>I hate dealing with that heavy-ass crock and I'm always worried I'll
>break it. I'll go with my 12-quart stockpot.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Much better... real cooking. I gave my crock pot away, and then
discovered how much storage space it hogged... and even empty it
weighed a ton. Crock pots are less useful than electric knives.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 May 2021 12:21:46 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Mon, 24 May 2021 08:22:51 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 8:29:14 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>>> The last of it is in the crockpot now until I buy more chicken.
>>>
>>> Covered on high until it starts to simmer then turned down to low until
>>> tomorrow morning...about 24 hours.
>>>
>>> This will yield almost 1/2 gallon and be strained and frozen in 2-cup
>>> portions.

>>Half a gallon wouldn't be worth the effort for me.
>>
>>I hate dealing with that heavy-ass crock and I'm always worried I'll
>>break it. I'll go with my 12-quart stockpot.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

>Much better... real cooking. I gave my crock pot away, and then
>discovered how much storage space it hogged... and even empty it
>weighed a ton. Crock pots are less useful than electric knives.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 May 2021 08:22:51 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 8:29:14 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> The last of it is in the crockpot now until I buy more chicken.
>>
>> Covered on high until it starts to simmer then turned down to low until
>> tomorrow morning...about 24 hours.
>>
>> This will yield almost 1/2 gallon and be strained and frozen in 2-cup
>> portions.

>Half a gallon wouldn't be worth the effort for me.
>
>I hate dealing with that heavy-ass crock and I'm always worried I'll
>break it. I'll go with my 12-quart stockpot.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 May 2021 08:29:07 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>The last of it is in the crockpot now until I buy more chicken.
>
>Covered on high until it starts to simmer then turned down to low until
>tomorrow morning...about 24 hours.
>
>This will yield almost 1/2 gallon and be strained and frozen in 2-cup
>portions.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Mon, 24 May 2021 08:29:07 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> > The last of it is in the crockpot now until I buy more chicken.
> >
> > Covered on high until it starts to simmer then turned down to low
> > until tomorrow morning...about 24 hours.
> >
> > This will yield almost 1/2 gallon and be strained and frozen in
> > 2-cup portions.

> I've never made chicken stock in a crock pot. I buy a roasting
> chicken and simmer it on very low heat in enough water to cover (~6
> quarts) with herbs/veggies, season to taste when done (s n'p). You
> may quarter the chicken making it easier to remove the meat at the end
> (makes excellent chicken salad). I usually use the breasts from two
> roasting chickens in my 18 qt stock pot... the dark meat gets oven
> roasted.
> Saved chicken scraps/trimmings and veggie trash does not make decent
> stock... not really worth your time and effort for that weak
> pishvasser. Properly made, chicken stock should yield a rich golden
> color... don't forget the parsnip.

I'm convinced you don't really cook. You still follow recipe cards
from the 50's is all, an insult everyone else who genuinely cooks.
Then of course, supersize everything rediculously.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 May 2021 20:22:09 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:

>Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> I've never made chicken stock in a crock pot. I buy a roasting
>> chicken and simmer it on very low heat in enough water to cover (~6
>> quarts) with herbs/veggies, season to taste when done (s n'p). You
>> may quarter the chicken making it easier to remove the meat at the end
>> (makes excellent chicken salad). I usually use the breasts from two
>> roasting chickens in my 18 qt stock pot... the dark meat gets oven
>> roasted.
>> Saved chicken scraps/trimmings and veggie trash does not make decent
>> stock... not really worth your time and effort for that weak
>> pishvasser. Properly made, chicken stock should yield a rich golden
>> color... don't forget the parsnip.

>I'm convinced you don't really cook. You still follow recipe cards
>from the 50's is all, an insult everyone else who genuinely cooks.
>Then of course, supersize everything rediculously.

That's because he also has to cook for 20 *** sailors he keeps in his
barn.

--
This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 May 2021 21:26:09 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Mon, 24 May 2021 20:22:09 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:
>
>>Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>>> I've never made chicken stock in a crock pot. I buy a roasting
>>> chicken and simmer it on very low heat in enough water to cover (~6
>>> quarts) with herbs/veggies, season to taste when done (s n'p). You
>>> may quarter the chicken making it easier to remove the meat at the end
>>> (makes excellent chicken salad). I usually use the breasts from two
>>> roasting chickens in my 18 qt stock pot... the dark meat gets oven
>>> roasted.
>>> Saved chicken scraps/trimmings and veggie trash does not make decent
>>> stock... not really worth your time and effort for that weak
>>> pishvasser. Properly made, chicken stock should yield a rich golden
>>> color... don't forget the parsnip.

>>I'm convinced you don't really cook. You still follow recipe cards
>>from the 50's is all, an insult everyone else who genuinely cooks.
>>Then of course, supersize everything rediculously.

>That's because he also has to cook for 20 *** sailors he keeps in his
>barn.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 May 2021 20:22:09 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:

>Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 24 May 2021 08:29:07 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>>
>> > The last of it is in the crockpot now until I buy more chicken.
>> >
>> > Covered on high until it starts to simmer then turned down to low
>> > until tomorrow morning...about 24 hours.
>> >
>> > This will yield almost 1/2 gallon and be strained and frozen in
>> > 2-cup portions.

>> I've never made chicken stock in a crock pot. I buy a roasting
>> chicken and simmer it on very low heat in enough water to cover (~6
>> quarts) with herbs/veggies, season to taste when done (s n'p). You
>> may quarter the chicken making it easier to remove the meat at the end
>> (makes excellent chicken salad). I usually use the breasts from two
>> roasting chickens in my 18 qt stock pot... the dark meat gets oven
>> roasted.
>> Saved chicken scraps/trimmings and veggie trash does not make decent
>> stock... not really worth your time and effort for that weak
>> pishvasser. Properly made, chicken stock should yield a rich golden
>> color... don't forget the parsnip.

>I'm convinced you don't really cook. You still follow recipe cards
>from the 50's is all, an insult everyone else who genuinely cooks.
>Then of course, supersize everything rediculously.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2021 6:22 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 24 May 2021 08:29:07 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>>
>>> The last of it is in the crockpot now until I buy more chicken.
>>>
>>> Covered on high until it starts to simmer then turned down to low
>>> until tomorrow morning...about 24 hours.
>>>
>>> This will yield almost 1/2 gallon and be strained and frozen in
>>> 2-cup portions.

>> I've never made chicken stock in a crock pot. I buy a roasting
>> chicken and simmer it on very low heat in enough water to cover (~6
>> quarts) with herbs/veggies, season to taste when done (s n'p). You
>> may quarter the chicken making it easier to remove the meat at the end
>> (makes excellent chicken salad). I usually use the breasts from two
>> roasting chickens in my 18 qt stock pot... the dark meat gets oven
>> roasted.
>> Saved chicken scraps/trimmings and veggie trash does not make decent
>> stock... not really worth your time and effort for that weak
>> pishvasser. Properly made, chicken stock should yield a rich golden
>> color... don't forget the parsnip.

> I'm convinced you don't really cook. You still follow recipe cards
> from the 50's is all, an insult everyone else who genuinely cooks.
> Then of course, supersize everything rediculously.

bingo!

How to make chicken fat into chicken broth for soup? Seekingsuggestions. Gold Finch General Cooking 21 27-04-2010 07:04 AM
veggie beef broth?- Karen Vegetarian cooking 17 15-06-2006 09:52 AM
veggie beef broth?- Regina Schmid Vegetarian cooking 0 24-05-2006 09:48 AM
Chicken broth biig General Cooking 35 23-10-2005 03:01 PM
Clear Veggie Broth Scented Nectar Vegetarian cooking 0 20-11-2004 09:25 PM