FoodBanter.com

-   -   I made Garlic Potatoes today! (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/454176-i-made-garlic-potatoes.html)

John Kuthe[_10_] 08-05-2021 07:54 PM

I made Garlic Potatoes today!

YUM!

It's a recipe from a local restaurant that I got in a newsletter years ago. I'll give you my slightly modified version:

5 lbs potatoes

4 cups 40% cream

1-1.5 heads of fresh garlic (not the stuff in jars!)

1 tsp salt

1 tsp white pepper (black pepper works too, but makes black specks in the sauce!)

Gruyere swiss cheese

Peel (optional I suppose) and slice up the potatoes into chunk slices about 1/4 inch thick. Peel and mince the garlic, and I pare that little green plant out of the middle of each clove (A PITA, but it's kinda fun too!)

In a large pot, put the potato pieces, the cream, the garlic and the salt and pepper and bring to a gentle boil for about 10-15 mins. Thin with a little milk to make it easy to stir.

Then pour into a shallow baking pan like a lasagna pan, and grate Gruyere cheese on top. Bake at 350F for 40 mins or into until the Gruyere gets light golden brown.

Let sit for 30 mins after baking, and enjoy!

We used to make it for my family's Thanksgiving Dinners.

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

Hank Rogers[_4_] 08-05-2021 08:34 PM

John Kuthe wrote:
> YUM!
>
> It's a recipe from a local restaurant that I got in a newsletter years ago. I'll give you my slightly modified version:
>
> 5 lbs potatoes
>
> 4 cups 40% cream
>
> 1-1.5 heads of fresh garlic (not the stuff in jars!)
>
> 1 tsp salt
>
> 1 tsp white pepper (black pepper works too, but makes black specks in the sauce!)
>
> Gruyere swiss cheese
>

> Peel (optional I suppose) and slice up the potatoes into chunk slices about 1/4 inch thick. Peel and mince the garlic, and I pare that little green plant out of the middle of each clove (A PITA, but it's kinda fun too!)
>
> In a large pot, put the potato pieces, the cream, the garlic and the salt and pepper and bring to a gentle boil for about 10-15 mins. Thin with a little milk to make it easy to stir.
>
> Then pour into a shallow baking pan like a lasagna pan, and grate Gruyere cheese on top. Bake at 350F for 40 mins or into until the Gruyere gets light golden brown.
>
> Let sit for 30 mins after baking, and enjoy!
>
> We used to make it for my family's Thanksgiving Dinners.
>

> John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

When was the last time you were invited to your family's
thanksgiving dinner?

Did you politely say **** you all, as a token of your appreciation?

John Kuthe[_10_] 08-05-2021 08:44 PM

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 2:34:52 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> > YUM!
> >
> > It's a recipe from a local restaurant that I got in a newsletter years ago. I'll give you my slightly modified version:
> >
> > 5 lbs potatoes
> >
> > 4 cups 40% cream
> >
> > 1-1.5 heads of fresh garlic (not the stuff in jars!)
> >
> > 1 tsp salt
> >
> > 1 tsp white pepper (black pepper works too, but makes black specks in the sauce!)
> >
> > Gruyere swiss cheese
> >

> > Peel (optional I suppose) and slice up the potatoes into chunk slices about 1/4 inch thick. Peel and mince the garlic, and I pare that little green plant out of the middle of each clove (A PITA, but it's kinda fun too!)
> >
> > In a large pot, put the potato pieces, the cream, the garlic and the salt and pepper and bring to a gentle boil for about 10-15 mins. Thin with a little milk to make it easy to stir.
> >
> > Then pour into a shallow baking pan like a lasagna pan, and grate Gruyere cheese on top. Bake at 350F for 40 mins or into until the Gruyere gets light golden brown.
> >
> > Let sit for 30 mins after baking, and enjoy!
> >
> > We used to make it for my family's Thanksgiving Dinners.
> >

> > John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
> >

> When was the last time you were invited to your family's
> thanksgiving dinner?
>
> Did you politely say **** you all, as a token of your appreciation?

Back in the 1990s when I lived at Westminster. Big ole house in the CWE for the bargain basement price if $198.75/mo! Each!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

[email protected][_2_] 08-05-2021 09:04 PM

I made Garlic Potatoes today!

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 2:34:52 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> John Kuthe wrote:
> >
> > We used to make it for my family's Thanksgiving Dinners.
> >
> > John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
> >

> When was the last time you were invited to your family's
> thanksgiving dinner?
>
> Did you politely say **** you all, as a token of your appreciation?

*GUFFAW* He probably uttered that after grace was said.

Joie McDonalds 08-05-2021 09:25 PM

I made Garlic Potatoes today!

The real Joie McDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

Joie McDonalds 08-05-2021 09:26 PM

Hank Rogers[_4_] 08-05-2021 09:35 PM

wrote:
> On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 2:34:52 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
>>
>> John Kuthe wrote:
>>>
>>> We used to make it for my family's Thanksgiving Dinners.
>>>
>>> John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
>>>

>> When was the last time you were invited to your family's
>> thanksgiving dinner?
>>
>> Did you politely say **** you all, as a token of your appreciation?
>>

> *GUFFAW* He probably uttered that after grace was said.

Yes, say grace, ending with "**** you all, amen" Then a hearty
welcome to the little electric church in da Loo.

[email protected][_2_] 08-05-2021 09:48 PM

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 3:35:41 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> wrote:

> >> When was the last time you were invited to your family's
> >> thanksgiving dinner?
> >>
> >> Did you politely say **** you all, as a token of your appreciation?
> >>

> > *GUFFAW* He probably uttered that after grace was said.
> >

> Yes, say grace, ending with "**** you all, amen" Then a hearty
> welcome to the little electric church in da Loo.

Then they probably played a fast and furious game of "Basket Bear"
to work off that heavy meal.

jmcquown[_2_] 08-05-2021 11:31 PM

On 5/8/2021 2:54 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> YUM!
>
> It's a recipe from a local restaurant that I got in a newsletter years ago. I'll give you my slightly modified version:
>
> 5 lbs potatoes
>
> 4 cups 40% cream
>
> 1-1.5 heads of fresh garlic (not the stuff in jars!)
>
> 1 tsp salt
>
> 1 tsp white pepper (black pepper works too, but makes black specks in the sauce!)
>
> Gruyere swiss cheese
>

> John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

Lather, rinse, repeat. Serve with brown rice and not-baked beans.

Jill

Joie McDonalds 08-05-2021 11:54 PM

Pamela 09-05-2021 12:25 AM

I made Garlic Potatoes today!

On Sat, 8 May 2021 11:54:23 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe >
wrote:

>YUM!
>
>It's a recipe from a local restaurant that I got in a newsletter years ago. I'll give you my slightly modified version:
>
>5 lbs potatoes
>
>4 cups 40% cream
>
>1-1.5 heads of fresh garlic (not the stuff in jars!)
>
>1 tsp salt
>
>1 tsp white pepper (black pepper works too, but makes black specks in the sauce!)
>
>Gruyere swiss cheese
>

>Peel (optional I suppose) and slice up the potatoes into chunk slices about 1/4 inch thick. Peel and mince the garlic, and I pare that little green plant out of the middle of each clove (A PITA, but it's kinda fun too!)
>
>In a large pot, put the potato pieces, the cream, the garlic and the salt and pepper and bring to a gentle boil for about 10-15 mins. Thin with a little milk to make it easy to stir.
>
>Then pour into a shallow baking pan like a lasagna pan, and grate Gruyere cheese on top. Bake at 350F for 40 mins or into until the Gruyere gets light golden brown.
>
>Let sit for 30 mins after baking, and enjoy!
>
>We used to make it for my family's Thanksgiving Dinners.

What family??

Joie McDonalds 09-05-2021 12:25 AM

Joie McDonalds 09-05-2021 12:25 AM

Joie McDonalds 09-05-2021 12:26 AM

Joie McDonalds 09-05-2021 12:26 AM

Joie McDonalds 09-05-2021 12:28 AM

Mike Duffy[_5_] 09-05-2021 01:28 AM

On Sun, 09 May 2021 09:25:09 +1000, Pamela wrote:

> What family??

He used the american "used to" grammatical construct to denote a repeated
action in the past which is no longer likely to be repeated. I think he
still has a sister, but it's probably been a while since he had a fight
over any wishbones.

You've been uncharacteristically quiet recently. Are you having trouble
keeping your spin vectors aligned?

Bryan Simmons 11-05-2021 01:52 AM

I made Garlic Potatoes today!

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 3:35:41 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> wrote:

> >> When was the last time you were invited to your family's
> >> thanksgiving dinner?
> >>
> >> Did you politely say **** you all, as a token of your appreciation?
> >>

> > *GUFFAW* He probably uttered that after grace was said.
> >

> Yes, say grace, ending with "**** you all, amen" Then a hearty
> welcome to the little electric church in da Loo.

Where the priest's censer burns a lump of coal.

--Bryan

Joie McDonalds 11-05-2021 08:38 PM