Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken Veg or lentil soup today

I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup. I went out to the
freezer, dug around and found a smallish whole bird that will fit in
the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker makes the very best stock. The
stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook the chicken for
about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of the bird and bones.
I'll use the usual for making the stock -- celery,, onion, carrot, bay
leaf, garlic, thyme and a bit of s&p.
I alway use a ues strainer to get out the odds and ends but this time
I think I will also strain the stock through cheesecloth.
This is going to be a kind of kitchen sink chicken soup. Carrot,
onion, celery, green beans, cabbage, maybe some spinach.
I've got a baguette and home made garlic butter to go with the soup.
It's a good project for a totally dark, grey, nasty day.

What's on your menu for today?

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2021 11:31 AM, US Janet wrote:

> I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup. I went out to the
> freezer, dug around and found a smallish whole bird that will fit in
> the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker makes the very best stock. The
> stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook the chicken for
> about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of the bird and bones.
> I'll use the usual for making the stock -- celery,, onion, carrot, bay
> leaf, garlic, thyme and a bit of s&p.
> I alway use a ues strainer to get out the odds and ends but this time
> I think I will also strain the stock through cheesecloth.
> This is going to be a kind of kitchen sink chicken soup. Carrot,
> onion, celery, green beans, cabbage, maybe some spinach.
> I've got a baguette and home made garlic butter to go with the soup.
> It's a good project for a totally dark, grey, nasty day.
>
> What's on your menu for today?
>
> Janet US

Your plans for soup sound wonderful! I'll be having spinach tortellini
alfredo.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-25 9:31 a.m., US Janet wrote:

> I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup. I went out to the
> freezer, dug around and found a smallish whole bird that will fit in
> the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker makes the very best stock. The
> stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook the chicken for
> about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of the bird and bones.
> I'll use the usual for making the stock -- celery,, onion, carrot, bay
> leaf, garlic, thyme and a bit of s&p.
> I alway use a ues strainer to get out the odds and ends but this time
> I think I will also strain the stock through cheesecloth.
> This is going to be a kind of kitchen sink chicken soup. Carrot,
> onion, celery, green beans, cabbage, maybe some spinach.
> I've got a baguette and home made garlic butter to go with the soup.
> It's a good project for a totally dark, grey, nasty day.
>
> What's on your menu for today?
>
> Janet US

Miserable weather here - snowing steadily:-(
I baked a couple of Lahey-style loaves yesterday - ran out of WW bread
flour so subbed WW pastry flour and some gluten. Worked fine.
Tempted to just have bread, cheese and pickled onions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 12:28:44 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/25/2021 11:31 AM, US Janet wrote:
>>
>> I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup. I went out to the
>> freezer, dug around and found a smallish whole bird that will fit in
>> the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker makes the very best stock. The
>> stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook the chicken for
>> about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of the bird and bones.
>> I'll use the usual for making the stock -- celery,, onion, carrot, bay
>> leaf, garlic, thyme and a bit of s&p.
>> I alway use a ues strainer to get out the odds and ends but this time
>> I think I will also strain the stock through cheesecloth.
>> This is going to be a kind of kitchen sink chicken soup. Carrot,
>> onion, celery, green beans, cabbage, maybe some spinach.
>> I've got a baguette and home made garlic butter to go with the soup.
>> It's a good project for a totally dark, grey, nasty day.
>>
>> What's on your menu for today?
>>
>> Janet US
>>

>Your plans for soup sound wonderful! I'll be having spinach tortellini
>alfredo.
>
>Jill

we just had that about 10 days ago.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2021 1:41 PM, Graham wrote:
> On 2021-04-25 9:31 a.m., US Janet wrote:
>>
>> I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup.Â* I went out to the
>> freezer, dug around and found a smallish whole bird that will fit in
>> the pressure cooker.Â* Pressure cooker makes the very best stock.Â* The
>> stock becomes heavily chicken flavored.Â* But I do cook the chicken for
>> about an hour.Â* That pulls all the flavor out of the bird and bones.
>> I'll use the usual for making the stock -- celery,, onion, carrot, bay
>> leaf, garlic, thyme and a bit of s&p.
>> I alway use a ues strainer to getÂ* out the odds and ends but this time
>> I think I will also strain the stock through cheesecloth.
>> This is going to be a kind of kitchen sink chicken soup. Carrot,
>> onion, celery, green beans, cabbage, maybe some spinach.
>> I've got a baguette and home made garlic butter to go with the soup.
>> It's a good project for a totally dark, grey, nasty day.
>>
>> What's on your menu for today?
>>
>> Janet US
>>

> Miserable weather here - snowing steadily:-(
> I baked a couple of Lahey-style loaves yesterday - ran out of WW bread
> flour so subbed WW pastry flour and some gluten. Worked fine.
> Tempted to just have bread, cheese and pickled onions.

Ploughman's lunch again?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Graham wrote:

> On 2021-04-25 9:31 a.m., US Janet wrote:
> >
> > I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup. I went out to the
> > freezer, dug around and found a smallish whole bird that will fit in
> > the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker makes the very best stock.
> > The stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook the
> > chicken for about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of the
> > bird and bones. I'll use the usual for making the stock --
> > celery,, onion, carrot, bay leaf, garlic, thyme and a bit of s&p.
> > I alway use a ues strainer to get out the odds and ends but this
> > time I think I will also strain the stock through cheesecloth.
> > This is going to be a kind of kitchen sink chicken soup. Carrot,
> > onion, celery, green beans, cabbage, maybe some spinach.
> > I've got a baguette and home made garlic butter to go with the soup.
> > It's a good project for a totally dark, grey, nasty day.
> >
> > What's on your menu for today?
> >
> > Janet US
> >

> Miserable weather here - snowing steadily:-(
> I baked a couple of Lahey-style loaves yesterday - ran out of WW
> bread flour so subbed WW pastry flour and some gluten. Worked fine.
> Tempted to just have bread, cheese and pickled onions.

I didn't know Jim Lahey baked bread.

--
The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-25 11:54 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/25/2021 1:41 PM, Graham wrote:
>> On 2021-04-25 9:31 a.m., US Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup.Â* I went out to the
>>> freezer, dug around and found a smallish whole bird that will fit in
>>> the pressure cooker.Â* Pressure cooker makes the very best stock.Â* The
>>> stock becomes heavily chicken flavored.Â* But I do cook the chicken for
>>> about an hour.Â* That pulls all the flavor out of the bird and bones.
>>> I'll use the usual for making the stock -- celery,, onion, carrot, bay
>>> leaf, garlic, thyme and a bit of s&p.
>>> I alway use a ues strainer to getÂ* out the odds and ends but this time
>>> I think I will also strain the stock through cheesecloth.
>>> This is going to be a kind of kitchen sink chicken soup. Carrot,
>>> onion, celery, green beans, cabbage, maybe some spinach.
>>> I've got a baguette and home made garlic butter to go with the soup.
>>> It's a good project for a totally dark, grey, nasty day.
>>>
>>> What's on your menu for today?
>>>
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Miserable weather here - snowing steadily:-(
>> I baked a couple of Lahey-style loaves yesterday - ran out of WW bread
>> flour so subbed WW pastry flour and some gluten. Worked fine.
>> Tempted to just have bread, cheese and pickled onions.

> Ploughman's lunch again?
>
> Jill

It's basic, easy and delicious. I should say "was" as I've just eaten:-)
It would have been better with a pint of beer but I never drink booze at
lunch time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-25 2:30 p.m., Graham wrote:
> On 2021-04-25 11:54 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 4/25/2021 1:41 PM, Graham wrote:

>>> Miserable weather here - snowing steadily:-(
>>> I baked a couple of Lahey-style loaves yesterday - ran out of WW
>>> bread flour so subbed WW pastry flour and some gluten. Worked fine.
>>> Tempted to just have bread, cheese and pickled onions.

>> Ploughman's lunch again?
>>
>> Jill

> It's basic, easy and delicious. I should say "was" as I've just eaten:-)
> It would have been better with a pint of beer but I never drink booze at
> lunch time.

Beer is nice with lunch. It guarantees a nice nap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

US Janet wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 12:28:44 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> > On 4/25/2021 11:31 AM, US Janet wrote:
> >>
> >> I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup. I went out to the
> >> freezer, dug around and found a smallish whole bird that will fit

> in >> the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker makes the very best
> stock. The >> stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook
> the chicken for >> about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of
> the bird and bones. >> I'll use the usual for making the stock --
> celery,, onion, carrot, bay >> leaf, garlic, thyme and a bit of s&p.
> >> I alway use a ues strainer to get out the odds and ends but this

> time >> I think I will also strain the stock through cheesecloth.
> >> This is going to be a kind of kitchen sink chicken soup. Carrot,
> >> onion, celery, green beans, cabbage, maybe some spinach.
> >> I've got a baguette and home made garlic butter to go with the

> soup. >> It's a good project for a totally dark, grey, nasty day.
> >>
> >> What's on your menu for today?
> >>
> >> Janet US
> >>

> > Your plans for soup sound wonderful! I'll be having spinach
> > tortellini alfredo.
> >
> > Jill

> we just had that about 10 days ago.
> Janet US

How did the soup go? I frequently do some sort of creative soup (or
crockpot) on days like that.

Today was supposed to rain but it's lovely out there right now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-25 1:04 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-04-25 2:30 p.m., Graham wrote:

>>> Ploughman's lunch again?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> It's basic, easy and delicious. I should say "was" as I've just eaten:-)
>> It would have been better with a pint of beer but I never drink booze
>> at lunch time.

> Beer is nice with lunch. It guarantees a nice nap.

That's why I eschew it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Graham wrote:

> On 2021-04-25 9:31 a.m., US Janet wrote:
> >
> > I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup. I went out to the
> > freezer, dug around and found a smallish whole bird that will fit in
> > the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker makes the very best stock.
> > The stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook the
> > chicken for about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of the
> > bird and bones. I'll use the usual for making the stock --
> > celery,, onion, carrot, bay leaf, garlic, thyme and a bit of s&p.
> > I alway use a ues strainer to get out the odds and ends but this
> > time I think I will also strain the stock through cheesecloth.
> > This is going to be a kind of kitchen sink chicken soup. Carrot,
> > onion, celery, green beans, cabbage, maybe some spinach.
> > I've got a baguette and home made garlic butter to go with the soup.
> > It's a good project for a totally dark, grey, nasty day.
> >
> > What's on your menu for today?
> >
> > Janet US
> >

> Miserable weather here - snowing steadily:-(
> I baked a couple of Lahey-style loaves yesterday - ran out of WW
> bread flour so subbed WW pastry flour and some gluten. Worked fine.
> Tempted to just have bread, cheese and pickled onions.

This makes me smile! You've mentioned that method before. Here is what
I found on it for others to look over.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/recipe-...o-knead-bread/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-25 1:29 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> Graham wrote:
>
>> On 2021-04-25 9:31 a.m., US Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup. I went out to the
>>> freezer, dug around and found a smallish whole bird that will fit in
>>> the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker makes the very best stock.
>>> The stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook the
>>> chicken for about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of the
>>> bird and bones. I'll use the usual for making the stock --
>>> celery,, onion, carrot, bay leaf, garlic, thyme and a bit of s&p.
>>> I alway use a ues strainer to get out the odds and ends but this
>>> time I think I will also strain the stock through cheesecloth.
>>> This is going to be a kind of kitchen sink chicken soup. Carrot,
>>> onion, celery, green beans, cabbage, maybe some spinach.
>>> I've got a baguette and home made garlic butter to go with the soup.
>>> It's a good project for a totally dark, grey, nasty day.
>>>
>>> What's on your menu for today?
>>>
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Miserable weather here - snowing steadily:-(
>> I baked a couple of Lahey-style loaves yesterday - ran out of WW
>> bread flour so subbed WW pastry flour and some gluten. Worked fine.
>> Tempted to just have bread, cheese and pickled onions.

> This makes me smile! You've mentioned that method before. Here is what
> I found on it for others to look over.
>
> https://www.cbsnews.com/news/recipe-...o-knead-bread/

Yes, that's it except that I weigh my ingredients:

300 grams bread flour
100 grams whole-wheat flour
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon dried instant yeast
300 grams cool water

I often bake other recipes this way in a Lodge dutch oven. I usually mke
up recipes as I go along, making sure that the hydration is right. In
the above case it is 75%.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 10:31:15 AM UTC-5, US Janet wrote:

> I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup. I went out to the
> freezer, dug around and found a smallish whole bird that will fit in
> the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker makes the very best stock. The
> stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook the chicken for
> about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of the bird and bones.
> I'll use the usual for making the stock -- celery,, onion, carrot, bay
> leaf, garlic, thyme and a bit of s&p.
> I alway use a ues strainer to get out the odds and ends but this time
> I think I will also strain the stock through cheesecloth.
> This is going to be a kind of kitchen sink chicken soup. Carrot,
> onion, celery, green beans, cabbage, maybe some spinach.
> I've got a baguette and home made garlic butter to go with the soup.
> It's a good project for a totally dark, grey, nasty day.
>
> What's on your menu for today?
>
> Janet US

Your chicken soup sounds wonderful to me but no idea what supper will
be. However, I did take some boneless chicken breasts out of the freezer
with the intention of making crockpot chicken tomorrow or Tuesday. Separately
cooked rice or noodles will accompany this meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> US Janet wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 12:28:44 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> in >> the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker makes the very best
>> stock. The >> stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook
>> the chicken for >> about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of
>> the bird and bones. >> I'll use the usual for making the stock --
>> celery,, onion, carrot, bay >> leaf, garlic, thyme and a bit of s&p.

>> time >> I think I will also strain the stock through cheesecloth.

>> soup. >> It's a good project for a totally dark, grey, nasty day.

>>> Your plans for soup sound wonderful! I'll be having spinach
>>> tortellini alfredo.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> we just had that about 10 days ago.
>> Janet US

> How did the soup go? I frequently do some sort of creative soup (or
> crockpot) on days like that.
>
> Today was supposed to rain but it's lovely out there right now.

Vagina beach is lovely at all times.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dr. Bruce wrote:
> Graham wrote:
>
>> On 2021-04-25 9:31 a.m., US Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup. I went out to the
>>> freezer, dug around and found a smallish whole bird that will fit in
>>> the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker makes the very best stock.
>>> The stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook the
>>> chicken for about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of the
>>> bird and bones. I'll use the usual for making the stock --
>>> celery,, onion, carrot, bay leaf, garlic, thyme and a bit of s&p.
>>> I alway use a ues strainer to get out the odds and ends but this
>>> time I think I will also strain the stock through cheesecloth.
>>> This is going to be a kind of kitchen sink chicken soup. Carrot,
>>> onion, celery, green beans, cabbage, maybe some spinach.
>>> I've got a baguette and home made garlic butter to go with the soup.
>>> It's a good project for a totally dark, grey, nasty day.
>>>
>>> What's on your menu for today?
>>>
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Miserable weather here - snowing steadily:-(
>> I baked a couple of Lahey-style loaves yesterday - ran out of WW
>> bread flour so subbed WW pastry flour and some gluten. Worked fine.
>> Tempted to just have bread, cheese and pickled onions.

> I didn't know Jim Lahey baked bread.

Damn, neither did I. I hope he don't start sniffing asses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Graham wrote:

> On 2021-04-25 1:29 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> > Graham wrote:

> > > Miserable weather here - snowing steadily:-(
> > > I baked a couple of Lahey-style loaves yesterday - ran out of WW
> > > bread flour so subbed WW pastry flour and some gluten. Worked
> > > fine. Tempted to just have bread, cheese and pickled onions.

> > This makes me smile! You've mentioned that method before. Here is
> > what I found on it for others to look over.
> >
> > https://www.cbsnews.com/news/recipe-...o-knead-bread/
> >

> Yes, that's it except that I weigh my ingredients:
>
> 300 grams bread flour
> 100 grams whole-wheat flour
> 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
> 1/2 teaspoon dried instant yeast
> 300 grams cool water
>
> I often bake other recipes this way in a Lodge dutch oven. I usually
> mke up recipes as I go along, making sure that the hydration is
> right. In the above case it is 75%.

I love it! I also have 2 Lodge dutch ovens. A 7qt and a 5qt.

The recipe above fits the 5qt better I think.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-25 4:20 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> Graham wrote:

>>> This makes me smile! You've mentioned that method before. Here is
>>> what I found on it for others to look over.
>>>
>>> https://www.cbsnews.com/news/recipe-...o-knead-bread/
>>>

>> Yes, that's it except that I weigh my ingredients:
>>
>> 300 grams bread flour
>> 100 grams whole-wheat flour
>> 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
>> 1/2 teaspoon dried instant yeast
>> 300 grams cool water
>>
>> I often bake other recipes this way in a Lodge dutch oven. I usually
>> mke up recipes as I go along, making sure that the hydration is
>> right. In the above case it is 75%.

> I love it! I also have 2 Lodge dutch ovens. A 7qt and a 5qt.
>
> The recipe above fits the 5qt better I think.

Yes! I doubled it and then divided the dough between the Lodge and a Le
Creuset. BTW, I used proper banettons for the 2nd rise. That dough is so
soft that it would spread into a pancake otherwise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

US Janet wrote:

> I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup. I went out to the
> freezer, dug around and found a smallish whole bird that will fit in
> the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker makes the very best stock. The
> stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook the chicken for
> about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of the bird and bones.
> I'll use the usual for making the stock -- celery,, onion, carrot, bay
> leaf, garlic, thyme and a bit of s&p.
> I alway use a ues strainer to get out the odds and ends but this time
> I think I will also strain the stock through cheesecloth.
> This is going to be a kind of kitchen sink chicken soup. Carrot,
> onion, celery, green beans, cabbage, maybe some spinach.
> I've got a baguette and home made garlic butter to go with the soup.
> It's a good project for a totally dark, grey, nasty day.
>
> What's on your menu for today?
>
> Janet US

Ask them, theyre here
--
The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> US Janet wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 12:28:44 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> > in >> the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker makes the very best
> > stock. The >> stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do
> > cook the chicken for >> about an hour. That pulls all the flavor
> > out of the bird and bones. >> I'll use the usual for making the
> > stock -- celery,, onion, carrot, bay >> leaf, garlic, thyme and a
> > bit of s&p. >> I alway use a ues strainer to get out the odds and
> > ends but this time >> I think I will also strain the stock through
> > cheesecloth. >> This is going to be a kind of kitchen sink chicken
> > soup. Carrot, >> onion, celery, green beans, cabbage, maybe some
> > spinach. >> I've got a baguette and home made garlic butter to go
> > with the soup. >> It's a good project for a totally dark, grey,
> > nasty day. >>

> > > Your plans for soup sound wonderful! I'll be having spinach
> > > tortellini alfredo.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > we just had that about 10 days ago.
> > Janet US

> How did the soup go? I frequently do some sort of creative soup (or
> crockpot) on days like that.
>
> Today was supposed to rain but it's lovely out there right now.

Ask them, theyre here
--
The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Graham wrote:

> On 2021-04-25 9:31 a.m., US Janet wrote:
> >
> > I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup. I went out to the
> > freezer, dug around and found a smallish whole bird that will fit in
> > the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker makes the very best stock.
> > The stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook the
> > chicken for about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of the
> > bird and bones.

Ask them, theyre here
--
The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 3:50:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 10:31:15 AM UTC-5, US Janet wrote:
> >
> > I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup. I went out to the
> > freezer, dug around and found a smallish whole bird that will fit in
> > the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker makes the very best stock. The
> > stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook the chicken for
> > about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of the bird and bones.
> > I'll use the usual for making the stock -- celery,, onion, carrot, bay
> > leaf, garlic, thyme and a bit of s&p.
> > I alway use a ues strainer to get out the odds and ends but this time
> > I think I will also strain the stock through cheesecloth.
> > This is going to be a kind of kitchen sink chicken soup. Carrot,
> > onion, celery, green beans, cabbage, maybe some spinach.
> > I've got a baguette and home made garlic butter to go with the soup.
> > It's a good project for a totally dark, grey, nasty day.
> >
> > What's on your menu for today?
> >
> > Janet US
> >

> Your chicken soup sounds wonderful to me but no idea what supper will
> be. However, I did take some boneless chicken breasts out of the freezer
> with the intention of making crockpot chicken tomorrow or Tuesday. Separately
> cooked rice or noodles will accompany this meal.

Adding other chicken disches to canned chicken soup dishes might be A.O.K.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Graham wrote:

> On 2021-04-25 4:20 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> > Graham wrote:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/recipe-...o-knead-bread/

> > > Yes, that's it except that I weigh my ingredients:
> > >
> > > 300 grams bread flour
> > > 100 grams whole-wheat flour
> > > 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
> > > 1/2 teaspoon dried instant yeast
> > > 300 grams cool water
> > >
> > > I often bake other recipes this way in a Lodge dutch oven. I
> > > usually mke up recipes as I go along, making sure that the
> > > hydration is right. In the above case it is 75%.

> > I love it! I also have 2 Lodge dutch ovens. A 7qt and a 5qt.
> >
> > The recipe above fits the 5qt better I think.
> >

> Yes! I doubled it and then divided the dough between the Lodge and a
> Le Creuset. BTW, I used proper banettons for the 2nd rise. That dough
> is so soft that it would spread into a pancake otherwise.

I have the Bannetons! MIght try this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 7:14:54 PM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:

> On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 3:50:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> >
> > Your chicken soup sounds wonderful to me but no idea what supper will
> > be. However, I did take some boneless chicken breasts out of the freezer
> > with the intention of making crockpot chicken tomorrow or Tuesday. Separately
> > cooked rice or noodles will accompany this meal.

> Adding other chicken disches to canned chicken soup dishes might be A.O.K.

What are you yammering about? And what are 'disches'?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 16:24:14 -0600, Graham > wrote:

>On 2021-04-25 4:20 p.m., cshenk wrote:
>> Graham wrote:

>>> Yes, that's it except that I weigh my ingredients:
>>>
>>> 300 grams bread flour
>>> 100 grams whole-wheat flour
>>> 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
>>> 1/2 teaspoon dried instant yeast
>>> 300 grams cool water
>>>
>>> I often bake other recipes this way in a Lodge dutch oven. I usually
>>> mke up recipes as I go along, making sure that the hydration is
>>> right. In the above case it is 75%.

>> I love it! I also have 2 Lodge dutch ovens. A 7qt and a 5qt.
>>
>> The recipe above fits the 5qt better I think.
>>

>Yes! I doubled it and then divided the dough between the Lodge and a Le
>Creuset. BTW, I used proper banettons for the 2nd rise. That dough is so
>soft that it would spread into a pancake otherwise.

I've made that bread. Followed directions exactly. When I picked it
up after the 2nd rise it began to deflate horribly. I was commited at
that point with the hot cast iron pan just inches away. I simply
dropped the dough blob in, closed the lid and let it go into the oven.
To my surprise, it rose beautifully.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2021 11:31 AM, US Janet wrote:

> I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup.

I made a small batch of that a few days ago. Today, I'll finish it.
Turned out good too.

- Chicken stock plus some water and a couple boullion cubes
(5 cups liquid total)
- some spinach
- some cut up snow peas
- 4 carrots
- onion powder (I'm out of onions)

At the end, I added some separately cooked thin spaghetti pasta, broken
to small before cooked. Then I stirred in one beaten egg at the very end.

It was almost thick enough to call it a stew and very good.

I have all of that to make another batch tomorrow or the next day.

> Pressure cooker makes the very best stock. The
> stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook the chicken for
> about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of the bird and bones.

That's where I use a crockpot. Same results but takes longer.
I run my crockpot for 24 hours for stock. I just put all in one morning,
then forget about it until the next morning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 2:43:44 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 8:57:25 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> > > Adding other chicken disches to canned chicken soup dishes might be A.O.K.
> > >

> > What are you yammering about? And what are 'disches'?

> Whats it to you OK?

You posted here with vague and virtually unintelligible gibberish. What's it
to you if nobody understands you, OK?

Which other chicken dishes would you add to canned chicken soup? Fried chicken?
Chicken Kiev? Chicken Milanese?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 3:10:20 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 2:43:44 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:

> > > What are you yammering about? And what are 'disches'?

> > Whats it to you OK?

> You posted here with vague and virtually unintelligible gibberish. What's it
> to you if nobody understands you, OK?
>
> Which other chicken dishes would you add to canned chicken soup? Fried chicken?
> Chicken Kiev? Chicken Milanese?

Waaaa, whine, whine, big deal. Maybe I had a drink or two.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 2:12:20 PM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:

> > > Whats it to you OK?
> > >

> > You posted here with vague and virtually unintelligible gibberish. What's it
> > to you if nobody understands you, OK?
> >
> > Which other chicken dishes would you add to canned chicken soup? Fried chicken?
> > Chicken Kiev? Chicken Milanese?
> >

> Waaaa, whine, whine, big deal. Maybe I had a drink or two.

Maybe you had more than a drink or two.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bruce bowser wrote:

> On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 3:10:20 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 2:43:44 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:

> > > Whats it to you OK?

> > You posted here with vague and virtually unintelligible gibberish.
> > What's it to you if nobody understands you, OK?
> >
> > Which other chicken dishes would you add to canned chicken soup?
> > Fried chicken? Chicken Kiev? Chicken Milanese?

> Waaaa, whine, whine, big deal. Maybe I had a drink or two.

That would explain it, although a drink or 10 would explain it even
better.

--
The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

US Janet wrote:

> I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup. I went out to the
> freezer, dug around and found a smallish whole bird that will fit in
> the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker makes the very best stock. The
> stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook the chicken for
> about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of the bird and bones.
> I'll use the usual for making the stock -- celery,, onion, carrot, bay
> leaf, garlic, thyme and a bit of s&p.
> I alway use a ues strainer to get out the odds and ends but this time
> I think I will also strain the stock through cheesecloth.
> This is going to be a kind of kitchen sink chicken soup. Carrot,
> onion, celery, green beans, cabbage, maybe some spinach.
> I've got a baguette and home made garlic butter to go with the soup.
> It's a good project for a totally dark, grey, nasty day.
>
> What's on your menu for today?
>
> Janet US

Ask them, theyre here
--
The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 2:43:44 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
> > On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 8:57:25 PM UTC-4,
> > wrote:

> > > What are you yammering about? And what are 'disches'?

> > Whats it to you OK?

> You posted here with vague and virtually unintelligible gibberish.
> What's it to you if nobody understands you, OK?
>
> Which other chicken dishes would you add to canned chicken soup?
> Fried chicken? Chicken Kiev? Chicken Milanese?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Ask them, theyre here
--
The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> On 4/25/2021 11:31 AM, US Janet wrote:
> >
> > I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup.

> I made a small batch of that a few days ago. Today, I'll finish it.
> Turned out good too.
>
> - Chicken stock plus some water and a couple boullion cubes
> (5 cups liquid total)
> - some spinach
> - some cut up snow peas
> - 4 carrots
> - onion powder (I'm out of onions)
>
> At the end, I added some separately cooked thin spaghetti pasta,
> broken to small before cooked. Then I stirred in one beaten egg at
> the very end.
>
> It was almost thick enough to call it a stew and very good.
>
> I have all of that to make another batch tomorrow or the next day.
>

> > Pressure cooker makes the very best stock. The
> > stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook the chicken
> > for about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of the bird and
> > bones.

> That's where I use a crockpot. Same results but takes longer.
> I run my crockpot for 24 hours for stock. I just put all in one
> morning, then forget about it until the next morning.

Ask them, theyre here
--
The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> On 4/25/2021 11:31 AM, US Janet wrote:
> >
> > I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup.

> I made a small batch of that a few days ago. Today, I'll finish it.
> Turned out good too.
>
> - Chicken stock plus some water and a couple boullion cubes
> (5 cups liquid total)
> - some spinach
> - some cut up snow peas
> - 4 carrots
> - onion powder (I'm out of onions)
>
> At the end, I added some separately cooked thin spaghetti pasta,
> broken to small before cooked. Then I stirred in one beaten egg at
> the very end.
>
> It was almost thick enough to call it a stew and very good.
>
> I have all of that to make another batch tomorrow or the next day.
>

> > Pressure cooker makes the very best stock. The
> > stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook the chicken
> > for about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of the bird and
> > bones.

> That's where I use a crockpot. Same results but takes longer.
> I run my crockpot for 24 hours for stock. I just put all in one
> morning, then forget about it until the next morning.

Same here. I often do 'meat free' meaning just bones and maybe minimal
scraps.

Had a neighbor (moved now, military order) who raw fed her dogs and
we'd run my Tasin grinder about every 3 weeks for the dogs. I'd grind
some foods for us too. Usually we were doing 80-90lbs at a shot. Same
time I'd have a batch of chicken or other poultry bone stock. A few
times she tossed in a lb or so of chicken backs to add to the bones and
it made a very good stock indeed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Same
> time I'd have a batch of chicken or other poultry bone stock. A few
> times she tossed in a lb or so of chicken backs to add to the bones and
> it made a very good stock indeed.

Once, I found a 2lb package of nice meaty chicken backs that I intended
to use for stock. I roasted them first to enhance the stock flavor.

Once they came out of the oven....so meaty that I just ate them and used
other chicken parts for the stock.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 4:01:37 PM UTC-4, Dr. Bruce wrote:
> bruce bowser wrote:

> > > You posted here with vague and virtually unintelligible gibberish.
> > > What's it to you if nobody understands you, OK?
> > >
> > > Which other chicken dishes would you add to canned chicken soup?
> > > Fried chicken? Chicken Kiev? Chicken Milanese?

> > Waaaa, whine, whine, big deal. Maybe I had a drink or two.

> That would explain it, although a drink or 10 would explain it even
> better.

Cindy probably thinks I've been sober all this time. How free-spirited.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 2:26:41 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 4:01:37 PM UTC-4, Dr. Bruce wrote:
> > bruce bowser wrote:

> > > Waaaa, whine, whine, big deal. Maybe I had a drink or two.

> > That would explain it, although a drink or 10 would explain it even
> > better.

> Cindy probably thinks I've been sober all this time. How free-spirited.

Since I'm sober all the time, I generally expect that other people are, too.

On reflection, getting drunk and sitting down to Usenet just seems really sad.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 3:20:00 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 2:26:41 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:

> > > That would explain it, although a drink or 10 would explain it even
> > > better.

> > Cindy probably thinks I've been sober all this time. How free-spirited.

> Since I'm sober all the time, I generally expect that other people are, too.
>
> On reflection, getting drunk and sitting down to Usenet just seems really sad.

I didn't think anyone there was NOT drunk. Are you the first person that isn't? Wow. I dont' know how you manage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 2:26:41 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:

> > > That would explain it, although a drink or 10 would explain it
> > > even better.

> > Cindy probably thinks I've been sober all this time. How
> > free-spirited.

> Since I'm sober all the time, I generally expect that other people
> are, too.
>
> On reflection, getting drunk and sitting down to Usenet just seems
> really sad.

Always being 100% sober sounds very sad too. It's so teetotalling
puritan reverend.

--
The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 3:42:27 PM UTC-4, Dr. Bruce wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Cindy probably thinks I've been sober all this time. How
> > > free-spirited.

> > Since I'm sober all the time, I generally expect that other people
> > are, too.
> >
> > On reflection, getting drunk and sitting down to Usenet just seems
> > really sad.

> Always being 100% sober sounds very sad too. It's so teetotalling
> puritan reverend.

I'm not always 100% sober, but I can't remember the last time I was drunk.

I bought a six-pack of beer last summer and I still have three left. I'm
pretty sure my husband drank one of the three that have been consumed.

Cindy Hamilton