Old 25-04-2021, 04:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken Veg or lentil soup today

I think it is going to be chicken veggie soup. I went out to the
freezer, dug around and found a smallish whole bird that will fit in
the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker makes the very best stock. The
stock becomes heavily chicken flavored. But I do cook the chicken for
about an hour. That pulls all the flavor out of the bird and bones.
I'll use the usual for making the stock -- celery,, onion, carrot, bay
leaf, garlic, thyme and a bit of s&p.
I alway use a ues strainer to get out the odds and ends but this time
I think I will also strain the stock through cheesecloth.
This is going to be a kind of kitchen sink chicken soup. Carrot,
onion, celery, green beans, cabbage, maybe some spinach.
I've got a baguette and home made garlic butter to go with the soup.
It's a good project for a totally dark, grey, nasty day.

What's on your menu for today?

Janet US

Old 25-04-2021, 05:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2021 11:31 AM, US Janet wrote:

[...]

Your plans for soup sound wonderful! I'll be having spinach tortellini
alfredo.

Jill
Old 25-04-2021, 06:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-25 9:31 a.m., US Janet wrote:

[...]

Miserable weather here - snowing steadily:-(
I baked a couple of Lahey-style loaves yesterday - ran out of WW bread
flour so subbed WW pastry flour and some gluten. Worked fine.
Tempted to just have bread, cheese and pickled onions.
Old 25-04-2021, 06:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 12:28:44 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

we just had that about 10 days ago.
Janet US
Old 25-04-2021, 06:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2021 1:41 PM, Graham wrote:
On 2021-04-25 9:31 a.m., US Janet wrote:

[...]

Ploughman's lunch again?

Jill

Old 25-04-2021, 07:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-25 9:31 a.m., US Janet wrote:

[...]

I didn't know Jim Lahey baked bread.

--
The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net
Old 25-04-2021, 07:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-25 9:31 a.m., US Janet wrote:

[...]

It's basic, easy and delicious. I should say "was" as I've just eaten:-)
It would have been better with a pint of beer but I never drink booze at
lunch time.
Old 25-04-2021, 08:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-25 11:54 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 4/25/2021 1:41 PM, Graham wrote:

Miserable weather here - snowing steadily:-(
I baked a couple of Lahey-style loaves yesterday - ran out of WW
bread flour so subbed WW pastry flour and some gluten. Worked fine.
Tempted to just have bread, cheese and pickled onions.

Ploughman's lunch again?

Jill

It's basic, easy and delicious. I should say "was" as I've just eaten:-)
It would have been better with a pint of beer but I never drink booze at
lunch time.

Beer is nice with lunch. It guarantees a nice nap.
Old 25-04-2021, 08:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

How did the soup go? I frequently do some sort of creative soup (or
crockpot) on days like that.

Today was supposed to rain but it's lovely out there right now.
Old 25-04-2021, 08:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-25 11:54 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 4/25/2021 1:41 PM, Graham wrote:

Miserable weather here - snowing steadily:-(
I baked a couple of Lahey-style loaves yesterday - ran out of WW
bread flour so subbed WW pastry flour and some gluten. Worked fine.
Tempted to just have bread, cheese and pickled onions.

Ploughman's lunch again?

Jill

It's basic, easy and delicious. I should say "was" as I've just eaten:-)
It would have been better with a pint of beer but I never drink booze
at lunch time.

Beer is nice with lunch. It guarantees a nice nap.

That's why I eschew it.

Old 25-04-2021, 08:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-25 9:31 a.m., US Janet wrote:

[...]

This makes me smile! You've mentioned that method before. Here is what
I found on it for others to look over.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/recipe-...o-knead-bread/

Old 25-04-2021, 08:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-25 9:31 a.m., US Janet wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's it except that I weigh my ingredients:

300 grams bread flour
100 grams whole-wheat flour
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon dried instant yeast
300 grams cool water

I often bake other recipes this way in a Lodge dutch oven. I usually mke
up recipes as I go along, making sure that the hydration is right. In
the above case it is 75%.
Old 25-04-2021, 08:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 10:31:15 AM UTC-5, US Janet wrote:

[...]

Your chicken soup sounds wonderful to me but no idea what supper will
be. However, I did take some boneless chicken breasts out of the freezer
with the intention of making crockpot chicken tomorrow or Tuesday. Separately
cooked rice or noodles will accompany this meal.
Old 25-04-2021, 10:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Vagina beach is lovely at all times.

Old 25-04-2021, 10:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-25 9:31 a.m., US Janet wrote:

[...]

Damn, neither did I. I hope he don't start sniffing asses.