Old 29-04-2021, 09:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I needed some Emergency Food today!

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 9:45:22 AM UTC-10, S Viemeister wrote:
On 29/04/2021 17:53, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
.

I like doing stuff to the house. Every time I look at it, I say, "That was so worth it."

Every time I use our new shower room, I'm glad I resisted the
architect's desire to NOT put in a window. Even the mason said 'you
won't get any light coming in there'.
They were both wrong. It's nice and bright, and I like it. It was
certainly more expensive to put in a big double-glazed window, in both
materials and labour, but it was _definitely_ worth it.

My brother-in-laws did our bathroom. Late in the project, I got the idea to put 3 glass bricks in the wall. It was a pretty good idea because I get some light in the bath during the day. We also get to see from our bedroom when someone is in there. Additionally, glass bricks are always pretty cool.

Old 29-04-2021, 09:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-29 4:02 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 9:45:22 AM UTC-10, S Viemeister

Every time I use our new shower room, I'm glad I resisted the
architect's desire to NOT put in a window. Even the mason said
'you won't get any light coming in there'. They were both wrong.
It's nice and bright, and I like it. It was certainly more
expensive to put in a big double-glazed window, in both materials
and labour, but it was _definitely_ worth it.

My brother-in-laws did our bathroom. Late in the project, I got the
idea to put 3 glass bricks in the wall. It was a pretty good idea
because I get some light in the bath during the day. We also get to
see from our bedroom when someone is in there. Additionally, glass
bricks are always pretty cool.

Wow. I have not seen glass bricks for years. My grandparents had them
between the toilet and the bathtub in their main bathroom. That house
was built in the late 40s.
Old 29-04-2021, 10:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 2:45:22 PM UTC-5, S Viemeister wrote:

Every time I use our new shower room, I'm glad I resisted the
architect's desire to NOT put in a window. Even the mason said 'you
won't get any light coming in there'.
They were both wrong. It's nice and bright, and I like it. It was
certainly more expensive to put in a big double-glazed window, in both
materials and labour, but it was _definitely_ worth it.

A window in ANY room will add welcome daylight; even a small window.
It sounds like the architect didn't want to take the time to draw up plans
for a window. Plus the mason didn't want to spend the extra time it
took to install it. Your shower room would have just been a dungeon.
Old 29-04-2021, 10:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 10:57:50 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
On 2021-04-29 4:02 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
[...]

I have seen those bricks used in the way you describe. It's quite a old-timey look. You're right that glass bricks aren't used much these days. Perhaps they'll get popular again one day. The office I used to have had the front desk wall trimmed with rounded glass bricks. It's just a detail that moves an architectural element into something better. When my office was flooded and we gutted it, I realized that I should have salvaged those bricks. Too bad, it was long gone. My guess is somebody grabbed it. I love those bricks but you just can't stick them anywhere.
Old 29-04-2021, 10:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2021 10:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/28/2021 10:23 PM, Dr. Bruce wrote:
Bryan Simmons wrote:

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 6:30:09 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
On 4/28/2021 7:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My roof will be crap in 30 years but John has a 300 year plan.

300 years from now his descendants will be the in charge of Shared
International Student Housing, Inc.

Those ceramic tile roofs generally last 100 years or so, vs. 40 years
for top quality architectural shingles.* They are quite attractive,
and are popular in StL in high quality houses built pre-Depression.
My nephew made the same mistake as John, buying a tile roofed house
at the end of its roof life without realizing what it would cost to
replace the roof.* It is a duplex.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3.../3020897_zpid/

It's not a bad looking style of houses, but they must be very dark and
gloomy inside.

Not only do they have small windows, many houses built in that era had a
lot of dark wood trim.* Much was very elegant and done by skilled finish
carpenters, but not bright.

The idea of "open concept" didn't exist back then. Homes of that era
had separate rooms for everything so no light flowed through any windows
from one room to the next. That's just the way things were built back then.

My paternal grandmother's house was built around 1911. There was a lot
of gorgeous woodwork inside but it was dark. IIRC it was mahogany. The
dining room had beautiful built-ins; glass-fronted cabinets for storing
dishes and glassware and cabinets and drawers below for storing table
linens, napkins, silverware/flatware/tableware. The staircase was
mahogany and there were built-in laundry chutes from the 2nd floor to
the basement where the old wringer-type washing machine used to be.
(Grandma did eventually replace that old thing.) The windows were
fairly large but as I said, since all the rooms were separate it always
felt dark inside the house.

Jill
Old 29-04-2021, 10:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-29 5:07 p.m., wrote:

A window in ANY room will add welcome daylight; even a small window.
It sounds like the architect didn't want to take the time to draw up plans
for a window. Plus the mason didn't want to spend the extra time it
took to install it. Your shower room would have just been a dungeon.

Sky lights are nice too. Our family room has windows on the north and on
the east sides, but there it always seemed a little gloomy back here. I
needed to do the roof on it and we had a friend who had worked as a
roofer and he offered to help me if I would help him and a couple
friends do his roof. We has stripped off the shingles and he told me
that if I had ever wanted a skylight there, that was the time to do it.
We kept un shingling while I scooted over to the building supply store
and picked up a skylight. When I got back we installed it and finished
the shingling. Here were are about 30 years later and I am still
delighted by how much cheerier the room is.

Yes, they are great and I'm surprised they're not used more. Windows or
skylights keep rooms from looking like tombs.

I know I mentioned it a few weeks ago about having transom windows
installed in the second bath and in the walk-in closet. Either of those
rooms would have gloomy and always requiring a light be turned on
even during the day without those windows.

Old 29-04-2021, 11:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2021 3:45 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
On 29/04/2021 17:53, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
.

I like doing stuff to the house.* Every time I look at it, I say,
"That was so worth it."

Every time I use our new shower room, I'm glad I resisted the
architect's desire to NOT put in a window. Even the mason said 'you
won't get any light coming in there'.
They were both wrong. It's nice and bright, and I like it. It was
certainly more expensive to put in a big double-glazed window, in both
materials and labour, but it was _definitely_ worth it.

Your were smart.

My shower has a window 3' x 2' that start 5.5' off the floor. Faces
east so mornings are very bright.

I can't take credit for it as every house in the development has one but
great idea.
Old 30-04-2021, 10:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 4:57:50 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
On 2021-04-29 4:02 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
[...]

You can get them made of light(er) weight acrylic now. When we built
my husband's workshop, he wanted natural light, but didn't want anybody
to be able to look through the windows and see all the cool (expensive)
stuff he has. We put in a bunch of "glass" block windows, which can be
purchased as a ready-to-install unit (no mortar or grout required).

Although the shop is air-conditioned, if he wants ventilation he can
open the front "garage" and back "man" doors.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 30-04-2021, 10:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

The idea of "open concept" didn't exist back then.

My 1947 ranch is open-ish. A 5-foot opening from the living room to the
dining room; turn the corner and a 5-foot opening from the dining room to
the kitchen. Given that the dining room and kitchen are both about 9x9 feet,
that's considerable openness.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 30-04-2021, 01:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
I can't imagine having a bathroom without a window. I have been enough
windowless bathrooms over the years to know what they are like. One of
my great morning pleasures is to stand at the toilet and look out the
window and see the layers of green with the different types of trees
growing behind us.

"stand at the toilet and look out the window" while you are ****ing all
over the floor. If you are a macho man and claim you don't, you've never
cleaned that bathroom yourself.

A bathroom with a window is nice but a shower area with one is dumb.
I've had both bathrooms with windows and without. No problem without a
window, just use bright light bulbs.