Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking on April 1st

On 2021-04-02 6:52 p.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 18:35:13 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>> I was just reminded of some celebrity cooks like Nigella Lawson and
>> Anna Olsen who often use a teacup rather than a proper teacup.

> Annabel Langbein makes all such measures fun...teacup, eyeballing it,
> scooping and fluff..... She is delightful, though.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS9er9LHFK8

By coincidence, the next video that streamed was Anna Olsen, but this
time she was using proper measuring cups. She eyeballed the vanilla, as
she usually does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 19:19:47 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-04-02 6:52 p.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 18:35:13 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I was just reminded of some celebrity cooks like Nigella Lawson and
>>> Anna Olsen who often use a teacup rather than a proper teacup.

>> Annabel Langbein makes all such measures fun...teacup, eyeballing it,
>> scooping and fluff..... She is delightful, though.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS9er9LHFK8
>>

> By coincidence, the next video that streamed was Anna Olsen, but this
>time she was using proper measuring cups. She eyeballed the vanilla, as
>she usually does.

I always get a kick out of Martha Stewart VERY carefully measuring out
items like vanilla.

With a new recipe, I pay attention to measurements, but after that, I
play.

I have not measured vanilla in decades. I make my own and have several
bottles of varying strengths going at any one time and depending on
the type of food, I choose one over the other and adjust the amount I
put in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dr. Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 18:35:13 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2021-04-02 6:28 p.m., Leo wrote:
>>> On 2021 Apr 2, , Graham wrote
>>> (in article >):

>>> And, of course, everyone here uses a set of standardized weights to make sure
>>> the scale is true from time to time.
>>>

>> I was just reminded of some celebrity cooks like Nigella Lawson and
>> Anna Olsen who often use a teacup rather than a proper teacup.

> What's the difference between a teacup and a proper teacup?

Good, you're workin on teacups. You'll get over kuth some day.

A proper teacup is from da LOO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 7:05:34 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Dr. Bruce wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 18:35:13 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:

> >> I was just reminded of some celebrity cooks like Nigella Lawson and
> >> Anna Olsen who often use a teacup rather than a proper teacup.

> > What's the difference between a teacup and a proper teacup?
> >

> Good, you're workin on teacups. You'll get over kuth some day.
>
> A proper teacup is from da LOO.

Nigella has *D* cups, if I recall terrectly...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-02 7:42 p.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 19:19:47 -0400, Dave Smith

>> By coincidence, the next video that streamed was Anna Olsen, but this
>> time she was using proper measuring cups. She eyeballed the vanilla, as
>> she usually does.

> I always get a kick out of Martha Stewart VERY carefully measuring out
> items like vanilla.
>
> With a new recipe, I pay attention to measurements, but after that, I
> play.
>
> I have not measured vanilla in decades. I make my own and have several
> bottles of varying strengths going at any one time and depending on
> the type of food, I choose one over the other and adjust the amount I
> put in.

You might get a kick out of James Barber. I used to love his show. He is
unflappable. He kind of fumbles around, slopping things, spilling
things, but never gets flustered. In this episode he makes chocolate
muffins. He pours in "about a cup" of sugar from a bowl and then adds
"about half a cup of cocoa powder, dumping it directly from the can.

I have two of his cook books and have had great luck with some of his
recipes. One of the best was salmon fillets wrapped in phyllo. It's
easy enough to make... if you are comfortable working with phyllo. Cut
some phyllo sheets in half and layer them, brushing each with melted
butter. One one layer you throw in some sesame seeds. Place the salmon
on top. Put a little minced onion on top, a bit of dill weed, salt and
pepper, a little brown sugar and a splash of orange juice. Brush the top
with some melted butter and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top, and throw
it in a hot oven. Everyone who has tried that here has loved it.

https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/se...84&action=view

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 20:38:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-04-02 7:42 p.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 19:19:47 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> By coincidence, the next video that streamed was Anna Olsen, but this
>>> time she was using proper measuring cups. She eyeballed the vanilla, as
>>> she usually does.

>> I always get a kick out of Martha Stewart VERY carefully measuring out
>> items like vanilla.
>>
>> With a new recipe, I pay attention to measurements, but after that, I
>> play.
>>
>> I have not measured vanilla in decades. I make my own and have several
>> bottles of varying strengths going at any one time and depending on
>> the type of food, I choose one over the other and adjust the amount I
>> put in.
>>

>You might get a kick out of James Barber. I used to love his show. He is
>unflappable. He kind of fumbles around, slopping things, spilling
>things, but never gets flustered. In this episode he makes chocolate
>muffins. He pours in "about a cup" of sugar from a bowl and then adds
>"about half a cup of cocoa powder, dumping it directly from the can.

Some people are good at that sort of measuring. If I am not mistaken,
his shows have been around for a long time and I saw some when he was
much younger (so was I, of course). He knows his stuff.

>I have two of his cook books and have had great luck with some of his
>recipes. One of the best was salmon fillets wrapped in phyllo. It's
>easy enough to make... if you are comfortable working with phyllo.

I am more comfy with puff pastry than phyllo. I cannot be trusted to
keep it moistened while working with it.

>Cut
>some phyllo sheets in half and layer them, brushing each with melted
>butter. One one layer you throw in some sesame seeds. Place the salmon
> on top. Put a little minced onion on top, a bit of dill weed, salt and
>pepper, a little brown sugar and a splash of orange juice. Brush the top
>with some melted butter and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top, and throw
>it in a hot oven. Everyone who has tried that here has loved it.

Sounds like a good recipe and I am very fond of salmon.

>https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/se...84&action=view

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/04/2021 23:28, Leo wrote:
> On 2021 Apr 2, , Graham wrote
> (in article >):
>
>> The spring and balance scales were bought when electronic scales were
>> not available, at least at a reasonable price. My first digital scale
>> was a Salter that was good but sensitive to placement - the surface had
>> to be dead flat - then it started to rub through expensive batteries, so
>> I bought the one I use now.

> And, of course, everyone here uses a set of standardized weights to make sure
> the scale is true from time to time.

I do. Along with Dad's scales, I inherited the weights he used with them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 3:02:59 AM UTC-4, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 02/04/2021 23:28, Leo wrote:
> > On 2021 Apr 2, , Graham wrote
> > (in article >):
> >
> >> The spring and balance scales were bought when electronic scales were
> >> not available, at least at a reasonable price. My first digital scale
> >> was a Salter that was good but sensitive to placement - the surface had
> >> to be dead flat - then it started to rub through expensive batteries, so
> >> I bought the one I use now.

> > And, of course, everyone here uses a set of standardized weights to make sure
> > the scale is true from time to time.

> I do. Along with Dad's scales, I inherited the weights he used with them.

This is such a weight conscious society.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dr. Bruce wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>> Personally, I'm overdue for a fast food fix. It's been at least 17
>> months now since I went to a McDonalds or Burger King. I'm ready for a
>> few burgers and pile of salty fries.
>>
>> I still have a $20 gift certificate for McDonalds from last June.
>> OH MAN! ;-O

> Better use it quickly. Inflation, man.

Right now would be a good time to go. Many are offering good deals, just
trying to entice people to start buying again before they go out of
business.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 08:02:52 +0100, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 02/04/2021 23:28, Leo wrote:
>> On 2021 Apr 2, , Graham wrote
>> (in article >):
>>
>>> The spring and balance scales were bought when electronic scales were
>>> not available, at least at a reasonable price. My first digital scale
>>> was a Salter that was good but sensitive to placement - the surface had
>>> to be dead flat - then it started to rub through expensive batteries, so
>>> I bought the one I use now.

>> And, of course, everyone here uses a set of standardized weights to make sure
>> the scale is true from time to time.
>>

>I do. Along with Dad's scales, I inherited the weights he used with them.

My mother had a baby scale she's use. It was pretty accurate to the
ounce and big thing it was, it was kept on a kid's dresser in the room
right next to the kitchen. Mostly she measured with cups for everyday
cooking, but she put that scale to good use for larger weighing tasks.
Frugal housewife that she was, she'd verify butcher or grocery meat
purchases, or other products that were charged by weight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/04/2021 15:22, Boron Elgar wrote:

> My mother had a baby scale she's use. It was pretty accurate to the
> ounce and big thing it was, it was kept on a kid's dresser in the room
> right next to the kitchen. Mostly she measured with cups for everyday
> cooking, but she put that scale to good use for larger weighing tasks.
> Frugal housewife that she was, she'd verify butcher or grocery meat
> purchases, or other products that were charged by weight.

Also useful when making preserves. I've always weighed the fruit and sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-03 11:34 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
> On 03/04/2021 15:22, Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> My mother had a baby scale she's use. It was pretty accurate to the
>> ounce and big thing it was, it was kept on a kid's dresser in the room
>> right next to the kitchen. Mostly she measured with cups for everyday
>> cooking, but she put that scale to good use for larger weighing tasks.
>> Frugal housewife that she was, she'd verify butcher or grocery meat
>> purchases, or other products that were charged by weight.
>>

> Also useful when making preserves. I've always weighed the fruit and sugar.

I used to make a lot of jams and jellies and always used volume measure.
When making Seville Orange Marmalade I could use any measure. I use to
juice the oranges, put the seeds in a cheese cloth bag, slice the peels,
throw everything into a pot and add enough water cover. Then I simmered
it for about two hours until the slices were soft enough to squash
between thumb and finger. The next step was to use equal amounts of
that mash and sugar and boil it until it passed the set test.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Apr 2021 09:52:18 +1100, Dr. Bruce
> wrote:

>On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 18:35:13 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On 2021-04-02 6:28 p.m., Leo wrote:
>>> On 2021 Apr 2, , Graham wrote
>>> (in article >):

>>> And, of course, everyone here uses a set of standardized weights to make sure
>>> the scale is true from time to time.
>>>

>>I was just reminded of some celebrity cooks like Nigella Lawson and
>>Anna Olsen who often use a teacup rather than a proper teacup.

>What's the difference between a teacup and a proper teacup?

What's the difference between a troll and a butt sniffer?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 16:34:01 +0100, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 03/04/2021 15:22, Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> My mother had a baby scale she's use. It was pretty accurate to the
>> ounce and big thing it was, it was kept on a kid's dresser in the room
>> right next to the kitchen. Mostly she measured with cups for everyday
>> cooking, but she put that scale to good use for larger weighing tasks.
>> Frugal housewife that she was, she'd verify butcher or grocery meat
>> purchases, or other products that were charged by weight.
>>

>Also useful when making preserves. I've always weighed the fruit and sugar.

Yay, old-style scales!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/1/2021 12:40 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 12:12:04 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-04-01 10:56 a.m., Gary wrote:
>>> It's getting colder as today progresses. Good time to make another
>>> crockpot of chicken/vegetable stock.

>> Colder? A couple minutes ago I looked out the window and it was
>> snowing. It only lasted a couple minutes and did not amount to
>> anything, but it was snow.

> Just a little April Fool's prank. We've got some coming at us,
> but I think it'll peter out before it gets here.
>
> I always plan on the last snow of the year being some time in April.
> It rarely disappoints. Although I think we got a little bit last May.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

It's been unseasonably cool here in South Carolina this past week. The
heat even kicked on the last couple of nights (I keep the heat setting
at 67°F). No worries, temps will be in the mid to high 80's by the end
of the week. The AC will kick on if it gets hotter than 72°F in the
house. I might bump that up a little higher since I'm not at home
during the day four days out of the week.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/1/2021 9:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/1/2021 9:00 PM, Michael Trew wrote:

>>> You mean 128 tablespoons?
>>>
>>> Please just say a half gallon, Or even "2 quarts" is 50% better.
>>>
>>> Any time I see "8 Pints", "4 tablespoon", or "3 teaspoons" (etc...)
>>> in a recipe, I automatically assume the writer is an idiot and
>>> discredit the recipe.
>>>
>>> Had you been writing a recipe for canning or preserving, then "4
>>> pint JARS" would have been OK (but you'd make a little more so you
>>> don't fall short on the fourth).
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Tomato, tomato
>>
>> Could have said 16 gills of stock to make it more interesting.

> Chickens don't have gills.
>
> Jill

What about "Chicken of the Sea" tuna?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 09:59:40 -0400, gary > wrote:

>On 4/1/2021 9:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Tomato, tomato
>>>
>>> Could have said 16 gills of stock to make it more interesting.

>> Chickens don't have gills.
>>
>> Jill

>What about "Chicken of the Sea" tuna?

How do they swim with their feathers? Wouldn't they drown? I don't get
it.

--
The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 5:21:28 PM UTC-4, Dr. Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 09:59:40 -0400, gary > wrote:

> >> Chickens don't have gills.
> >>
> >> Jill

> >What about "Chicken of the Sea" tuna?

> How do they swim with their feathers? Wouldn't they drown? I don't get
> it.

Kingfishers do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 5:21:28 PM UTC-4, Dr. Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 09:59:40 -0400, gary > wrote:

> >> Chickens don't have gills.
> >>
> >> Jill

> >What about "Chicken of the Sea" tuna?

> How do they swim with their feathers? Wouldn't they drown? I don't get
> it.

Ducks do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 5:33:26 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 5:21:28 PM UTC-4, Dr. Bruce wrote:

> > >What about "Chicken of the Sea" tuna?

> > How do they swim with their feathers? Wouldn't they drown? I don't get
> > it.

> Ducks do.

Bryan talks about duck fat all the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 14:32:17 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 5:21:28 PM UTC-4, Dr. Bruce wrote:

>> >What about "Chicken of the Sea" tuna?

>> How do they swim with their feathers? Wouldn't they drown? I don't get
>> it.

>Kingfishers do.

Are you implying that chickens are being trained by the kingfishers?

--
The real Dr. Bruce sniffs with uni-berlin.de - individual.net

April is gonna LOVE my cooking!! John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 12 07-05-2019 11:38 AM
April 1 Gary General Cooking 14 01-04-2018 11:15 PM
Abstinence from food (12 April to 22 April) Confusor General Cooking 0 11-04-2013 09:13 AM
Abstinence from food (2 April to 11 April) Confusor General Cooking 0 01-04-2013 09:07 AM
Abstinence from food (9 April to 26 April) Confusor General Cooking 0 20-04-2012 12:29 PM