Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hmmmmmm.....

On 17:45 21 Mar 2021, Mike Duffy said:
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 14:02:31 +0000, Pamela wrote:
>>
>> I'm not at all aware Bryan is an alcoholic but it explains
>> things.

> I would not call him an alcoholic exactly. I'm not sure if there
> is a clinical definition, but I have always used the metric that
> 'alcoholic' means that chronic abuse of alcohol has resulted in
> serious loss, such as break-up of a relationship, job loss, or
> injury resulting from a drunken decision. Bryan has always
> maintained a stable marriage and career.
>
> What he is probably facing now is long-term bodily damage from
> almost daily beer consumption. Likely it is usually less than
> needed for inebriation, but it has been continual for decades. I
> hope he can get it together and become as healthy as possible.
>

>> Are you saying the beer you mention goes towards his bizarre
>> outbursts?

> He mentioned it. And I would not use the word 'bizarre'. What he
> does is just trollish posturing & pontification, both fairly
> common here.

In addition Bryan seems to lose control of his emotions and go into
quite a dramatic panic-like state in which his erratic responses
probably seem entirely appropriate. You only see that in some
drunks and not very often.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 21:38:49 GMT, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 20:42 21 Mar 2021, Stu Rawlings said:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 14:02:31 GMT, Pamela >
>> wrote:

>>>Hello Mike.
>>>
>>>I'm not at all aware Bryan is an alcoholic but it explains things.
>>>Are you saying the beer you mention goes towards his bizarre
>>>outbursts?
>>>
>>>Normal people here should not have to be put up with behaviours
>>>caused by drug or alcohol abuse.

>> Hahaha, 'normal people'. Drug abuse of ALL types (including
>> prescription drugs) is endemic throughout all communities and
>> demographics, you bigot.

>Neodome, maybe that's true in America (especially with prescription
>opiates) but not everywhere.

It's true everywhere in the world. Use a ****ing search engine to
verify your opinions before posting, yeah?

>> Very revealing about you but not surprising given your off-center
>> stance on 'drugs'. Maybe you should take a good look at yourself

>So I should start taking drugs to get in with the hip crowd and gain
>your approval? No thanks.

Nobody at any time suggested you take 'drugs'. For somebody supposedly
'drug free', your perceptions and judgment are questionable, at best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 02:18:17 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 08:20:12 +1100, Pamela wrote:
>
>> his priority appears to more towards self-aggrandizement

>So who here is the most humble, Pamela?

Why don't you tell us. I really don't know nor care.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> The 2nd meter is from the rental house that we had
> demolished but retained the electric servic for our two barns and
> outdoor lighting.

Need some pics, Sheldon.

You keep mentioning 2 barns. In all my years here, I only remember
seeing one barn. That small one where the cats live and has the diesel
tank next to it. I've seen that one many times.

I'd like to see the other barn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2021 10:55 AM, Gary wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
> > The 2nd meter is from the rental house that we had
>> demolished but retained the electric servic for our two barns and
>> outdoor lighting.

> Need some pics, Sheldon.
>
> You keep mentioning 2 barns. In all my years here, I only remember
> seeing one barn. That small one where the cats live and has the diesel
> tank next to it. I've seen that one many times.
>
> I'd like to see the other barn.

Show us your apartment, you keep talking about it
but never show pics of it.
--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2021 11:13 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On 3/22/2021 10:55 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>> > The 2nd meter is from the rental house that we had
>>> demolished but retained the electric servic for our two barns and
>>> outdoor lighting.

>> Need some pics, Sheldon.
>>
>> You keep mentioning 2 barns. In all my years here, I only remember
>> seeing one barn. That small one where the cats live and has the diesel
>> tank next to it. I've seen that one many times.
>>
>> I'd like to see the other barn.
>>

> Show us your apartment, you keep talking about it
> but never show pics of it.

I've sent pics of outside and also my living room. Please try to keep
up, troll-Bruce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22:37 21 Mar 2021, Stu Rawlings said:

> On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 21:38:49 GMT, Pamela >
> wrote:
>
>>On 20:42 21 Mar 2021, Stu Rawlings said:
>>
>>> On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 14:02:31 GMT, Pamela

>>> Hahaha, 'normal people'. Drug abuse of ALL types (including
>>> prescription drugs) is endemic throughout all communities and
>>> demographics, you bigot.

>>Neodome, maybe that's true in America (especially with
>>prescription opiates) but not everywhere.

> It's true everywhere in the world. Use a ****ing search engine to
> verify your opinions before posting, yeah?

Neodome, I don't associate with drug addicts or alcoholics and I
don't miss their bizarre behaviours. A search engine isn't going to
change that. No one should have to put up with a drunk or drug
addict's self-inflicted behaviour.

>>> Very revealing about you but not surprising given your
>>> off-center stance on 'drugs'. Maybe you should take a good look
>>> at yourself

>>So I should start taking drugs to get in with the hip crowd and
>>gain your approval? No thanks.

> Nobody at any time suggested you take 'drugs'. For somebody
> supposedly 'drug free', your perceptions and judgment are
> questionable, at best.

Your recently addled logic posted in my name suggests you might take
a look at your own judgement.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 10:55:35 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
> > The 2nd meter is from the rental house that we had
>> demolished but retained the electric servic for our two barns and
>> outdoor lighting.

>Need some pics, Sheldon.
>
>You keep mentioning 2 barns. In all my years here, I only remember
>seeing one barn. That small one where the cats live and has the diesel
>tank next to it. I've seen that one many times.
>
>I'd like to see the other barn.

I see you've taken up boozing again. You've seen both, I've posted
many pictures of each, even pictures of the electrician backhoing the
trench and running the wiring from one to the other. Feral cats live
in both barns. Gary, you need to lay off that rotgut.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2021 12:32 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 11:43:10 AM UTC-4, wrote:

>>> On the other hand, paying a connection fee for a utility that you don't
>>> use makes no sense.

>> Of course it doesn't make sense. He already had electricity. He seems
>> to think since they disconnected the gas meter he is not being charged
>> for the electric meter.
>>> I can't imagine it required removal of the meter,
>>> though. The gas utility should be able to shut off the supply at the
>>> meter and lock the meter. Just as they do when people don't pay
>>> their bill.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Gas and electric utilities always try to get those meters back when they
>> have been disconnected. That's so people don't attempt to do something
>> stupid like try to re-connect it themselves. In his case, he gave up
>> cooking on a natural gas stove for some misguided notion that has
>> nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with his belief
>> electricity is somehow less insulting to "Mother Gaia". He doesn't
>> cook. He rants and he crows about nothing.
>>
>> Jill

> Thanks. I'm blissfully ignorant as to what happens when utilities are
> disconnected.
>
> Plus, the meters aren't cheap. They probably don't want some disgruntled
> deadbeat damaging the meter.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Exactly. They don't want anyone messing with the disconnected meters.
For all they know some unlicensed idiot might try to tap in, or destroy
it trying to take it out.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2021 1:53 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 21/03/2021 14:11, Gary wrote:

>>> I do. I also make sure to have a good supply of fuel for the fireplace,
>>> a large kettle, and lots of hot water bottles.

>> Lots of hot water bottles?
>>

> When the power goes out, so does the pump for the central heating, so I
> boil water on the gas hob and fill my hot water bottles to keep me warm
> at night under my goose down duvet.
> Summer outages are not so bad, but in winter the hot water bottles
> really help. The only fireplace is in the living room, and it gets cold
> at night.

Gary doesn't seem to understand you're in Scotland at the moment. I'm
not sure he knows you have dual residency in the United States. Hot
water bottles in the bed, sure, to keep it warm!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2021 11:30 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:

> When Superstorm Sandy hit, we lost power for a week, and that was a
> big surprise. We'd never lost power for more than a few hours or a
> day, at most, before.
>
> Our lovebirds had just become parents of three hatchling (not even
> decent feathers yet) and the temp in the house dropped quite a bit
> each night, as the heat was out, but we did have hot water. Each
> evening I'd fill small hot water bottles and screw-top jars and put
> them against the insides of the cage. Then I'd wrap the cage in a
> thick bath towel overnight to keep in as much heat as possible.

How sweet! I don't think I ever knew you had lovebirds. How did they
all fare?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/03/2021 20:43, jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/21/2021 1:53 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
>>> Lots of hot water bottles?

>> When the power goes out, so does the pump for the central heating, so
>> I boil water on the gas hob and fill my hot water bottles to keep me
>> warm at night under my goose down duvet.
>> Summer outages are not so bad, but in winter the hot water bottles
>> really help. The only fireplace is in the living room, and it gets
>> cold at night.

> Gary doesn't seem to understand you're in Scotland at the moment.Â* I'm
> not sure he knows you have dual residency in the United States.Â* Hot
> water bottles in the bed, sure, to keep it warm!

I was in NJ during Superstorm Sandy - we lost power for days. It was
cold! The main difference there, was our gas-powered hot water heater.
We still used hot water bottles, but could fill them from the tap, and
hot showers were still available.
Here, the hot water is provided by the central heating boiler, which
requires electricity to run the pump, so, no electricity = no hot water.
Hence the giant kettle on the gas cooktop, and no showers, just a bowl
of hot water and a washcloth.
Fortunately, our last major power outage here (Scotland) lasted less
than a day, and the weather was warm. A wildfire on moorland had got out
of control, burned thousands of acres, melted the transmission lines,
and even damaged the roadway, closing off the main road across the north
coast of Scotland.
Ob food: I had booked a grocery delivery for that day, and wondered if
it would arrive - it did, and was only a little bit late. The driver had
to make a 100 mile detour to get here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 21:15:07 +0000, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 22/03/2021 20:43, jmcquown wrote:
>>> When the power goes out, so does the pump for the central heating, so
>>> I boil water on the gas hob and fill my hot water bottles to keep me
>>> warm at night under my goose down duvet.
>>> Summer outages are not so bad, but in winter the hot water bottles
>>> really help. The only fireplace is in the living room, and it gets
>>> cold at night.

>> Gary doesn't seem to understand you're in Scotland at the moment.* I'm
>> not sure he knows you have dual residency in the United States.* Hot
>> water bottles in the bed, sure, to keep it warm!
>>

>I was in NJ during Superstorm Sandy - we lost power for days. It was
>cold! The main difference there, was our gas-powered hot water heater.
>We still used hot water bottles, but could fill them from the tap, and
>hot showers were still available.

I am a devoted fan of hot water bottles. Nice pair of wool socks, down
comforter, and a hot water bottle mean the house can be kept cool at
night.

>Here, the hot water is provided by the central heating boiler, which
>requires electricity to run the pump, so, no electricity = no hot water.
>Hence the giant kettle on the gas cooktop, and no showers, just a bowl
>of hot water and a washcloth.

Our latest water heater has an electric starter, but since DH is the
one who chose it and installed it, he easily got it going the last
time we lost power- thunderstorm did in the electric for most of the
day.

>Fortunately, our last major power outage here (Scotland) lasted less
>than a day, and the weather was warm. A wildfire on moorland had got out
>of control, burned thousands of acres, melted the transmission lines,
>and even damaged the roadway, closing off the main road across the north
>coast of Scotland.

I have never been that far north. It is on the list of places I want
to see.

>Ob food: I had booked a grocery delivery for that day, and wondered if
>it would arrive - it did, and was only a little bit late. The driver had
>to make a 100 mile detour to get here.

Wow!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 10:55:35 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> > Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >
> > > The 2nd meter is from the rental house that we had
> >> demolished but retained the electric servic for our two barns and
> >> outdoor lighting.

> > Need some pics, Sheldon.
> >
> > You keep mentioning 2 barns. In all my years here, I only remember
> > seeing one barn. That small one where the cats live and has the
> > diesel tank next to it. I've seen that one many times.
> >
> > I'd like to see the other barn.

> I see you've taken up boozing again. You've seen both, I've posted
> many pictures of each, even pictures of the electrician backhoing the
> trench and running the wiring from one to the other. Feral cats live
> in both barns. Gary, you need to lay off that rotgut.

No, you haven't Sheldon and no one is going to bother to redownload
that last 10 years of RFC to find them. You got a polite request that
he would like to see the other barn. In your own words: 'if you can't
post a picture, it doesn't exist'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 16:45:01 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 3/21/2021 11:30 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>> When Superstorm Sandy hit, we lost power for a week, and that was a
>> big surprise. We'd never lost power for more than a few hours or a
>> day, at most, before.
>>
>> Our lovebirds had just become parents of three hatchling (not even
>> decent feathers yet) and the temp in the house dropped quite a bit
>> each night, as the heat was out, but we did have hot water. Each
>> evening I'd fill small hot water bottles and screw-top jars and put
>> them against the insides of the cage. Then I'd wrap the cage in a
>> thick bath towel overnight to keep in as much heat as possible.
>>

>How sweet! I don't think I ever knew you had lovebirds. How did they
>all fare?
>
>Jill

The lovebirds were fine and once the babies they were past hand
feeding, I gave them to a local pet store that I knew was very good
with birds. Five lovebirds, especially including a pair that bred so
easily, would have been a bit much.

A few years ago, Mrs Lovebird died of unknown causes and Mr. Lovebird
has been alone in his cage since. Lovebirds can be, shall we say- a
bit feisty, and I did not want to subject a new bird of either sex
into an established cage. With a matched pair, it becomes evident
quickly why they are called lovebirds. The pair were named Pyramus and
Thisbe. It was Thisbe we lost.

I got my first pair of lovebirds many, many years ago and they lived a
good long life. When they were gone, I missed the color and chatter
and got the pair that bred the babies. They are smart birds, will
interact with humans, easily respond to greetings and are pretty, too.

I have two parakeets, also- both males - who are so very skittish that
just changing the food container puts them in a tizzy. First keets I
have had. I used to always have budgies, and they were calmer, but
they are very hard to find these days, so the keets will do.

I love the bird burbles all day. They all respond to each other, to TV
or music, and to the birdsong from outside.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/03/2021 23:22, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 21:15:07 +0000, S Viemeister
>> I was in NJ during Superstorm Sandy - we lost power for days. It was
>> cold! The main difference there, was our gas-powered hot water heater.
>> We still used hot water bottles, but could fill them from the tap, and
>> hot showers were still available.

> I am a devoted fan of hot water bottles. Nice pair of wool socks, down
> comforter, and a hot water bottle mean the house can be kept cool at
> night.

Yes - warm body, cool air. I sleep much better that way.

>> Here, the hot water is provided by the central heating boiler, which
>> requires electricity to run the pump, so, no electricity = no hot water.
>> Hence the giant kettle on the gas cooktop, and no showers, just a bowl
>> of hot water and a washcloth.

> Our latest water heater has an electric starter, but since DH is the
> one who chose it and installed it, he easily got it going the last
> time we lost power- thunderstorm did in the electric for most of the
> day.

Luckily for us, the NJ water heater doesn't require electricity. The one
here, is a combination central heating and on-demand hot water heater.

>> Fortunately, our last major power outage here (Scotland) lasted less
>> than a day, and the weather was warm. A wildfire on moorland had got out
>> of control, burned thousands of acres, melted the transmission lines,
>> and even damaged the roadway, closing off the main road across the north
>> coast of Scotland.

> I have never been that far north. It is on the list of places I want
> to see.

Let me know when you do, I can provide travel tips. Also tea, coffee,
and home baking.
We're so far north, that if I walk up the road a bit, I can see Orkney.

>> Ob food: I had booked a grocery delivery for that day, and wondered if
>> it would arrive - it did, and was only a little bit late. The driver had
>> to make a 100 mile detour to get here.

> Wow!

There aren't many roads up here, and many of them are single track with
passing places.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, cshenk1
@virginia-beach.net says...

> Taxed and Spent wrote:

> > > Yes. Very old time though. It's called a match.
> > >

> > I am not going to cut holes in my oven to allow me to match light.
> > That would be totally stupid. But thanks for playing.

> Designs vary but mine can be reached from inside with a long match.

I have a battery wand gas lighter , even easier than a long match

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 10:03:19 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, cshenk1
says...

>> Taxed and Spent wrote:

>> > I am not going to cut holes in my oven to allow me to match light.
>> > That would be totally stupid. But thanks for playing.

>> Designs vary but mine can be reached from inside with a long match.

> I have a battery wand gas lighter , even easier than a long match
>
> Janet UK

A match will do no good for lighting an oven during a power outage
unless your stove is very old and has an oven pilot light... newer gas
ovens use a glow bar, needs electric to glow, and needs electric to
operate the solinoid that opens the oven gas valve. You can light the
top burners with a match but not the oven. All pilot lights were
eliminated as a safety feature.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/03/2021 20:43, jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/21/2021 1:53 PM, S Viemeister wrote:

>>> Lots of hot water bottles?
>>>

>> When the power goes out, so does the pump for the central heating, so
>> I boil water on the gas hob and fill my hot water bottles to keep me
>> warm at night under my goose down duvet.
>> Summer outages are not so bad, but in winter the hot water bottles
>> really help. The only fireplace is in the living room, and it gets
>> cold at night.

> Gary doesn't seem to understand you're in Scotland at the moment.Â* I'm
> not sure he knows you have dual residency in the United States.Â* Hot
> water bottles in the bed, sure, to keep it warm!
>
> Jill

====

I should have added, we have plenty of portable butane heaters for
warmth )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 08:56:55 +0000, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 22/03/2021 23:22, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 21:15:07 +0000, S Viemeister

>>> Fortunately, our last major power outage here (Scotland) lasted less
>>> than a day, and the weather was warm. A wildfire on moorland had got out
>>> of control, burned thousands of acres, melted the transmission lines,
>>> and even damaged the roadway, closing off the main road across the north
>>> coast of Scotland.

>> I have never been that far north. It is on the list of places I want
>> to see.
>>

>Let me know when you do, I can provide travel tips. Also tea, coffee,
>and home baking.
>We're so far north, that if I walk up the road a bit, I can see Orkney.

A delightful offer and I thank you and hope to take you up on it.

I want to get to Orkney, too, if I am going to head up all that way.
Besides, the idea of even passing a sign that says "****t" is its own
goofy lure. And the Shetlands...

>>> Ob food: I had booked a grocery delivery for that day, and wondered if
>>> it would arrive - it did, and was only a little bit late. The driver had
>>> to make a 100 mile detour to get here.

>> Wow!
>>

>There aren't many roads up here, and many of them are single track with
>passing places.

Must be fun when the weather closes in.

So tell me what you think about Nicola Sturgeon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/03/2021 11:41, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 08:56:55 +0000, S Viemeister
> > wrote:
>
>> On 22/03/2021 23:22, Boron Elgar wrote:
>>> On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 21:15:07 +0000, S Viemeister

>>> I have never been that far north. It is on the list of places I want
>>> to see.
>>>

>> Let me know when you do, I can provide travel tips. Also tea, coffee,
>> and home baking.
>> We're so far north, that if I walk up the road a bit, I can see Orkney.

> A delightful offer and I thank you and hope to take you up on it.
>
> I want to get to Orkney, too, if I am going to head up all that way.
> Besides, the idea of even passing a sign that says "****t" is its own
> goofy lure. And the Shetlands...

>>> Wow!
>>>

>> There aren't many roads up here, and many of them are single track with
>> passing places.

> Must be fun when the weather closes in.
>
> So tell me what you think about Nicola Sturgeon.

====

This ought to be interesting)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2021 7:28 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:

>>> Need some pics, Sheldon.
>>>
>>> You keep mentioning 2 barns. In all my years here, I only remember
>>> seeing one barn. That small one where the cats live and has the
>>> diesel tank next to it. I've seen that one many times.
>>>
>>> I'd like to see the other barn.

>> I see you've taken up boozing again. You've seen both, I've posted
>> many pictures of each, even pictures of the electrician backhoing the
>> trench and running the wiring from one to the other. Feral cats live
>> in both barns. Gary, you need to lay off that rotgut.

> No, you haven't Sheldon and no one is going to bother to redownload
> that last 10 years of RFC to find them. You got a polite request that
> he would like to see the other barn. In your own words: 'if you can't
> post a picture, it doesn't exist'.

Well, I might have missed the other barn but I've seen many pics of the
one barn (with the fuel tank next to it).

That's not even a real barn in farmville. Looks more like a large
storage shed. Like a separate one-tractor garage with cats.

Where is the other "barn" that he lets his neighbor store hay in?

Quit being elusive, Sheldon. Just send 2 pics. One of each "barn" that
you have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> All pilot lights were
> eliminated as a safety feature.

I still have a stove with pilot lights. Burners and oven.
Nothing wrong with it, baby.

I'm "grandfathered in" maybe though. To get a new gas stove it might
have to be electronic now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/03/2021 11:41, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 08:56:55 +0000, S Viemeister

>> There aren't many roads up here, and many of them are single track with
>> passing places.

> Must be fun when the weather closes in.

We didn't get mail deliveries for a few days this winter, as the roads
were blocked by snow. _We_ didn't have that much, but we're right on the
coast and get the warmer west winds (North Atlantic Drift, leftovers
from the Gulf Stream). Inland is very different.

> So tell me what you think about Nicola Sturgeon.

I'm not crazy about politicians in general, and didn't expect to like
her, but I have been watching her performance in Parliament and I'm
impressed by how she's handling things. She certainly comes across as
more competent to govern than the leaders of the other parties here,
most of whom have left me with a negative impression.
It will be interesting to see how the upcoming election turns out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-03-23 7:41 a.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 08:56:55 +0000, S Viemeister

> A delightful offer and I thank you and hope to take you up on it.
>
> I want to get to Orkney, too, if I am going to head up all that way.
> Besides, the idea of even passing a sign that says "****t" is its own
> goofy lure. And the Shetlands...

I had to chuckle when we were driving around the back roads of
Pennsylvania years ago and noted that there were rarely signs indicating
the name of the town. When there were, they were small green signs with
white lettering. The major exceptions were Intercourse and Bird In
Hand. They both had nice big colourful signs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 08:56:55 +0000, S Viemeister
> > wrote:
>
> >On 22/03/2021 23:22, Boron Elgar wrote:
> >> On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 21:15:07 +0000, S Viemeister

> >> I have never been that far north. It is on the list of places I want
> >> to see.
> >>

> >Let me know when you do, I can provide travel tips. Also tea, coffee,
> >and home baking.
> >We're so far north, that if I walk up the road a bit, I can see Orkney.

> A delightful offer and I thank you and hope to take you up on it.
>
> I want to get to Orkney, too, if I am going to head up all that way.
> Besides, the idea of even passing a sign that says "****t" is its own
> goofy lure. And the Shetlands...

> >> Wow!
> >>

> >There aren't many roads up here, and many of them are single track with
> >passing places.

> Must be fun when the weather closes in.
>
> So tell me what you think about Nicola Sturgeon.

How long have you got? :-)

Looks like she's going to survive a determined atempt to unseat her.

She's (in some ways) equivalent to Biden; a very experienced
politician and right now, there's no credible alternative for the job.

Scotland has parliament elections in 6 weeks.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 08:29:34 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 3/22/2021 7:28 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Sheldon Martin wrote:

>>> I see you've taken up boozing again. You've seen both, I've posted
>>> many pictures of each, even pictures of the electrician backhoing the
>>> trench and running the wiring from one to the other. Feral cats live
>>> in both barns. Gary, you need to lay off that rotgut.

>> No, you haven't Sheldon and no one is going to bother to redownload
>> that last 10 years of RFC to find them. You got a polite request that
>> he would like to see the other barn. In your own words: 'if you can't
>> post a picture, it doesn't exist'.
>>

>Well, I might have missed the other barn but I've seen many pics of the
>one barn (with the fuel tank next to it).
>
>That's not even a real barn in farmville. Looks more like a large
>storage shed. Like a separate one-tractor garage with cats.
>
>Where is the other "barn" that he lets his neighbor store hay in?

That was originally built as a hay barn but there's an area in it for
two horses. That hay barn is fairly large and three stories tall so a
lot of bales can be stacked.

>Quit being elusive, Sheldon. Just send 2 pics. One of each "barn" that
>you have.

Why would I send you email, you never replied to those I sent you long
ago.

I'm not being elusive, I've posted those pictures many times but I
recently explained that I don't store pictures in files by titles,
only by date. Would take me a while to find those pictures. If I
happen to run across them I may post them. And I already explained
that the small barn was originally a detached garage for the rental
house that I had demolished, I saved the garage and it's now mostly
used as a gardening shed, with an attached shed that I converted to a
small machine shop. I recently explained that I had a ventless gas
heater installed and again posted pictures of the shop and the heater.
Actually I stopped posting pictures about a year ago because no one
ever comments on them, so why bother... I'm sure if I posted pictures
of my two barns you will act as if you've never seen them, which
you've already done several times. I'm sure you don't care about my
barns and will once again not see them.
When you first arrived at RFC I tried to be friendly but you ignored
me. I'm sure you are still the same crank who won't post your picture
at the Mug Shots... I really don't consider you a member of RFC, and
certainly not one to be trusted, not with all your mean spirited just
joking derogatory comments/assaults... just joking with no appology
doesn't suffice, and displays how nasty you truly are.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-03-23 5:41 a.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 08:56:55 +0000, S Viemeister
> > wrote:
>
>> On 22/03/2021 23:22, Boron Elgar wrote:
>>> On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 21:15:07 +0000, S Viemeister

>>> I have never been that far north. It is on the list of places I want
>>> to see.
>>>

>> Let me know when you do, I can provide travel tips. Also tea, coffee,
>> and home baking.
>> We're so far north, that if I walk up the road a bit, I can see Orkney.

> A delightful offer and I thank you and hope to take you up on it.
>
> I want to get to Orkney, too,

Really???

Bloody Orkney
Hamish Blair

This bloody town's a bloody cuss
No bloody trains, no bloody bus,
And no one cares for bloody us
In bloody Orkney.

The bloody roads are bloody bad,
The bloody folks are bloody mad,
They'd make the brightest bloody sad,
In bloody Orkney.

All bloody clouds, and bloody rains,
No bloody kerbs, no bloody drains,
The Council's got no bloody brains,
In bloody Orkney.

Everything's so bloody dear,
A bloody bob, for bloody beer,
And is it good? - no bloody fear,
In bloody Orkney.

The bloody 'flicks' are bloody old,
The bloody seats are bloody cold,
You can't get in for bloody gold
In bloody Orkney.

The bloody dances make you smile,
The bloody band is bloody vile,
It only cramps your bloody style,
In bloody Orkney.

No bloody sport, no bloody games,
No bloody fun, the bloody dames
Won't even give their bloody names
In bloody Orkney.

Best bloody place is bloody bed,
With bloody ice on bloody head,
You might as well be bloody dead,
In bloody Orkney

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/03/2021 14:49, Graham wrote:
> On 2021-03-23 5:41 a.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 08:56:55 +0000, S Viemeister
>> > wrote:

>>> Let me know when you do, I can provide travel tips. Also tea, coffee,
>>> and home baking.
>>> We're so far north, that if I walk up the road a bit, I can see Orkney.

>> A delightful offer and I thank you and hope to take you up on it.
>>
>> I want to get to Orkney, too,

> Really???
>
> Bloody Orkney
> Hamish Blair
>
> This bloody town's a bloody cuss
> No bloody trains, no bloody bus,
> And no one cares for bloody us
> In bloody Orkney.
>
> The bloody roads are bloody bad,
> The bloody folks are bloody mad,
> They'd make the brightest bloody sad,
> In bloody Orkney.
>
> All bloody clouds, and bloody rains,
> No bloody kerbs, no bloody drains,
> The Council's got no bloody brains,
> In bloody Orkney.
>
> Everything's so bloody dear,
> A bloody bob, for bloody beer,
> And is it good? - no bloody fear,
> In bloody Orkney.
>
> The bloody 'flicks' are bloody old,
> The bloody seats are bloody cold,
> You can't get in for bloody gold
> In bloody Orkney.
>
> The bloody dances make you smile,
> The bloody band is bloody vile,
> It only cramps your bloody style,
> In bloody Orkney.
>
> No bloody sport, no bloody games,
> No bloody fun, the bloody dames
> Won't even give their bloody names
> In bloody Orkney.
>
> Best bloody place is bloody bed,
> With bloody ice on bloody head,
> You might as well be bloody dead,
> In bloody Orkney

I've even heard Orcadians singing that song!
It's actually a lovely place, with lovely people. I used to hang out
with a lot of Orcadians and Zetlanders when I lived in Edinburgh. They
were good company, and most of them were musically talented.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-03-23 9:08 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:

> I've even heard Orcadians singing that song!
> It's actually a lovely place, with lovely people. I used to hang out
> with a lot of Orcadians and Zetlanders when I lived in Edinburgh. They
> were good company, and most of them were musically talented.

Except for those who play the bagpipes, of course:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/03/2021 15:29, Graham wrote:
> On 2021-03-23 9:08 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
>> I've even heard Orcadians singing that song!
>> It's actually a lovely place, with lovely people. I used to hang out
>> with a lot of Orcadians and Zetlanders when I lived in Edinburgh. They
>> were good company, and most of them were musically talented.

> Except for those who play the bagpipes, of course:-)

I have relatives who play the bagpipes...

I don't actually remember any of my Orcadian friends playing the pipes.
I mostly remember fiddle, piano, guitar, penny whistle, flute, and
squeeze boxes of various types. And they could all sing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 15:47:21 +0000, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 23/03/2021 15:29, Graham wrote:
>> On 2021-03-23 9:08 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
>>> I've even heard Orcadians singing that song!
>>> It's actually a lovely place, with lovely people. I used to hang out
>>> with a lot of Orcadians and Zetlanders when I lived in Edinburgh. They
>>> were good company, and most of them were musically talented.

>> Except for those who play the bagpipes, of course:-)
>>

>I have relatives who play the bagpipes...
>
>I don't actually remember any of my Orcadian friends playing the pipes.
>I mostly remember fiddle, piano, guitar, penny whistle, flute, and
>squeeze boxes of various types. And they could all sing.

My father played and used to amuse USians in Japan on Burns Night by
playing Deep in the heart of Texas etc. For some reason it had not
occurred to them that bagpipes could play anything the player wanted.

I have a good friend who lives in Orkney and he directed me to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DX-OBFdUTE

There used to be a camera to record the happenings at Maeshowe on the
Winter Solstice and I always checked in, then the camera went down and
I am not sure it has been replaced.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-03-23 11:29 a.m., Graham wrote:
> On 2021-03-23 9:08 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
>

>> I've even heard Orcadians singing that song!
>> It's actually a lovely place, with lovely people. I used to hang out
>> with a lot of Orcadians and Zetlanders when I lived in Edinburgh. They
>> were good company, and most of them were musically talented.

> Except for those who play the bagpipes, of course:-)

I sure as hell would not want to live next door to a kid who was
learning to play the pipes, but who can prevent themselves from tapping
their toes when a pipe band goes by?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2021 7:38 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> On 22/03/2021 20:43, jmcquown wrote:

>>> When the power goes out, so does the pump for the central heating, so
>>> I boil water on the gas hob and fill my hot water bottles to keep me
>>> warm at night under my goose down duvet.
>>> Summer outages are not so bad, but in winter the hot water bottles
>>> really help. The only fireplace is in the living room, and it gets
>>> cold at night.

>> Gary doesn't seem to understand you're in Scotland at the moment.Â* I'm
>> not sure he knows you have dual residency in the United States.Â* Hot
>> water bottles in the bed, sure, to keep it warm!
>>
>> Jill

> ====
>
> Â* I should have added, we have plenty of portable butane heaters for
> warmth )

LOL

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 12:39:50 +0000, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 23/03/2021 11:41, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 08:56:55 +0000, S Viemeister

>>> There aren't many roads up here, and many of them are single track with
>>> passing places.

>> Must be fun when the weather closes in.
>>

>We didn't get mail deliveries for a few days this winter, as the roads
>were blocked by snow. _We_ didn't have that much, but we're right on the
>coast and get the warmer west winds (North Atlantic Drift, leftovers
>from the Gulf Stream). Inland is very different.

Glad you get the benefits of what warmer waters and winds.

>> So tell me what you think about Nicola Sturgeon.
>>

>I'm not crazy about politicians in general, and didn't expect to like
>her, but I have been watching her performance in Parliament and I'm
>impressed by how she's handling things. She certainly comes across as
>more competent to govern than the leaders of the other parties here,
>most of whom have left me with a negative impression.
>It will be interesting to see how the upcoming election turns out.

Agreed. I think she will get re-elected and likely put the push in for
secession, though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 09:25:18 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-03-23 7:41 a.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 08:56:55 +0000, S Viemeister

>> A delightful offer and I thank you and hope to take you up on it.
>>
>> I want to get to Orkney, too, if I am going to head up all that way.
>> Besides, the idea of even passing a sign that says "****t" is its own
>> goofy lure. And the Shetlands...

>I had to chuckle when we were driving around the back roads of
>Pennsylvania years ago and noted that there were rarely signs indicating
>the name of the town. When there were, they were small green signs with
>white lettering. The major exceptions were Intercourse and Bird In
>Hand. They both had nice big colourful signs.

Places such as that used to have post offices that were draws for
tourists who wanted a charming postmark. Probably ancient history now.

Growing up, Hell, Michigan had that same allure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/03/2021 16:47, Boron Elgar wrote:
> > wrote:
>> On 23/03/2021 11:41, Boron Elgar wrote:
>>> So tell me what you think about Nicola Sturgeon.

>> I'm not crazy about politicians in general, and didn't expect to like
>> her, but I have been watching her performance in Parliament and I'm
>> impressed by how she's handling things. She certainly comes across as
>> more competent to govern than the leaders of the other parties here,
>> most of whom have left me with a negative impression.
>> It will be interesting to see how the upcoming election turns out.

> Agreed. I think she will get re-elected and likely put the push in for
> secession, though.

If that happens, I could wind up with a _third_ passport.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 13:39:46 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 08:56:55 +0000, S Viemeister
>> > wrote:

>> >Let me know when you do, I can provide travel tips. Also tea, coffee,
>> >and home baking.
>> >We're so far north, that if I walk up the road a bit, I can see Orkney.

>> A delightful offer and I thank you and hope to take you up on it.
>>
>> I want to get to Orkney, too, if I am going to head up all that way.
>> Besides, the idea of even passing a sign that says "****t" is its own
>> goofy lure. And the Shetlands...

>> >There aren't many roads up here, and many of them are single track with
>> >passing places.

>> Must be fun when the weather closes in.
>>
>> So tell me what you think about Nicola Sturgeon.

> How long have you got? :-)

LOL. Took me a while to warm to her, but she's not a fan of Boris or
Brexit, so that encouraged me.

> Looks like she's going to survive a determined atempt to unseat her.
>
> She's (in some ways) equivalent to Biden; a very experienced
>politician and right now, there's no credible alternative for the job.

Experience and decency are good things.

> Scotland has parliament elections in 6 weeks.

Yeah...I love to hear the election results come in. Much more colorful
reporting that anything over here.

> Janet UK

Do you think she will make a secession push? I am gonna ask all who
have any relatable feelings about that...