Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hmmmmmm.....

On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 1:47:27 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-03-26 7:04 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 12:35:16 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> Other instruments can be really tricky. First you have to blow into the
> >> mouth piece just to make a noise, but then you have to use so many
> >> fingers to cover the holes for various notes. Then there are the brass
> >> instruments where you use your lips and blowing the three basic notes
> >> and having to press combinations of valves.

> > Playing the guitar is easy. Learning to read standard notation on the guitar is pretty damn difficult.
> >

> I did not find that. I took classical guitar lessons and quickly
> learned the the notes on the sheet and where they were played on the
> guitar. When I took it up a little more seriously in my 30s I picked up
> a copy of The Complete Beatles, all the songs that Lennon and McCartney
> wrote. I was familiar with all of them. I went through and worked on
> all the songs in C or Am and then worked my way up, learning those with
> one sharp or flat, then 2, 3 and 5.
>
> Along the way I hooked up with a guy who loved to jamb. He had natural
> talent but did not know theory. He could not read music. Over the years
> he taught me how to jam and I taught him how to read music and chord
> theory.
>

> A lot of people use tablature for music. I shows what string and fret to
> play, but doesn't tell me anything about what is happening.

People that use tab are expected to be familiar with the piece of music - just like they did back in the Renaissance and baroque days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 6:35:16 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

> Other instruments can be really tricky. First you have to blow into the
> mouth piece just to make a noise, but then you have to use so many
> fingers to cover the holes for various notes.

If that's so tricky, why is the recorder the first instrument many people
play?

OTOH, I played the flute for for about 10 years, so recorder seems easy.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-03-27 4:33 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 6:35:16 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> Other instruments can be really tricky. First you have to blow into the
>> mouth piece just to make a noise, but then you have to use so many
>> fingers to cover the holes for various notes.

> If that's so tricky, why is the recorder the first instrument many people
> play?
>
> OTOH, I played the flute for for about 10 years, so recorder seems easy.

Recorders are cheap and easy to play. You blow in and they produce a
note. There is no big deal about embouchure. While a lot of people have
learned to play recorder, few actually do. It ranks just a little behind
violin and bag pipes when it comes to the pain of listening to someone
learning it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
>Then there are the brass
> instruments where you use your lips and blowing the three basic notes
> and having to press combinations of valves.

LOL. The three basic notes of a brass instrument? Which ones are they?
I played cornet for many years and in high school bands. I can read and
play sheet music with that but not with piano that I also know somewhat.

Got even better with guitar but that was self taught. With guitar, I can
play what I want to play but not with sheet music.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 27, 2021 at 10:27:43 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-03-27 4:33 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 6:35:16 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> >> Other instruments can be really tricky. First you have to blow into the
> >> mouth piece just to make a noise, but then you have to use so many
> >> fingers to cover the holes for various notes.

> > If that's so tricky, why is the recorder the first instrument many people
> > play?
> >
> > OTOH, I played the flute for for about 10 years, so recorder seems easy.
> >

> Recorders are cheap and easy to play. You blow in and they produce a
> note. There is no big deal about embouchure. While a lot of people have
> learned to play recorder, few actually do. It ranks just a little behind
> violin and bag pipes when it comes to the pain of listening to someone
> learning it.

You'd be surprised how much embouchure is involved in playing the
recorder well. I've always been into pre-Baroque music and there
are some amazing recorder players out there.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-03-27 12:07 p.m., Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
> Â*>Then there are the brass
>> instruments where you use your lips and blowing the three basic notes
>> and having to press combinations of valves.

> LOL. The three basic notes of a brass instrument? Which ones are they?
> I played cornet for many years and in high school bands. I can read and
> play sheet music with that but not with piano that I also know somewhat.

I could be wrong, but I thought they were designed to be like a bugle
and play the 1st the 3rd and the 5th notes, like a bugle, and then use
the valves for the in between notes. I am not going to bet on it.

> Got even better with guitar but that was self taught. With guitar, I can
> play what I want to play but not with sheet music.

You should give it a try some time. It is not all that hard. I was able
to teach my friend.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 20:56:31 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 09:37:44 +1100, Susan Moseley >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 18:43:02 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>>>Huh? Can you explain that logic Ofeelya??

>>Logic and Ofeelya?? In the same sentence??

>Yes, okay, that's my laugh for the day.

LOL, yes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2021 2:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-03-27 12:07 p.m., Gary wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>> >Then there are the brass
>>> instruments where you use your lips and blowing the three basic notes
>>> and having to press combinations of valves.

>> LOL. The three basic notes of a brass instrument? Which ones are they?
>> I played cornet for many years and in high school bands. I can read
>> and play sheet music with that but not with piano that I also know
>> somewhat.

> I could be wrong, but I thought they were designed to be like a bugle
> and play the 1st the 3rd and the 5th notes, like a bugle, and then use
> the valves for the in between notes. I am not going to bet on it.

You are correct, Dave. The cornet (or trumpet) plays just like a bugle
without pushing the valves. The 3 valves give you all the inbetween notes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 10:27:57 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> On 3/27/2021 2:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> LOL. The three basic notes of a brass instrument? Which ones are they?
> >> I played cornet for many years and in high school bands. I can read
> >> and play sheet music with that but not with piano that I also know
> >> somewhat.

> > I could be wrong, but I thought they were designed to be like a bugle
> > and play the 1st the 3rd and the 5th notes, like a bugle, and then use
> > the valves for the in between notes. I am not going to bet on it.

> You are correct, Dave. The cornet (or trumpet) plays just like a bugle
> without pushing the valves. The 3 valves give you all the inbetween notes.

Before valves, trumpeters produced the "inbetween" notes with
their lips.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/28/2021 10:59 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> Before valves, trumpeters produced the "inbetween" notes with
> their lips.

Nope.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 11:12:03 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> On 3/28/2021 10:59 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > Before valves, trumpeters produced the "inbetween" notes with
> > their lips.

> Nope.

Yep.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_trumpet>

It was extremely difficult.

Hence the cornetto, whose sound was not as brilliant,
since it was made of wood:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornett>

My first husband was an early music nerd and had a cornetto
and a sackbut:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sackbut>

He made his sackbut at an instrument-making workshop
(through, IIRC, the Indiana University).

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/28/2021 11:33 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 11:12:03 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> On 3/28/2021 10:59 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> Before valves, trumpeters produced the "inbetween" notes with
>>> their lips.

>> Nope.

> Yep.
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_trumpet>
>
> It was extremely difficult.
>
> Hence the cornetto, whose sound was not as brilliant,
> since it was made of wood:
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornett>
>
> My first husband was an early music nerd and had a cornetto
> and a sackbut:
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sackbut>
>
> He made his sackbut at an instrument-making workshop
> (through, IIRC, the Indiana University).

Interesting info.