Old 23-03-2021, 09:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Red Baron (brand) Fail

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 20:48:47 +0000, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 23/03/2021 19:42, Bruce wrote:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 15:17:05 -0400, Sheldon Martin
wrote:

On 23 Mar 2021 15:02:52 GMT, notbob wrote:

When I went to the produce department at WalMart the last time it was
nice. They had some really nice fresh artichokes.
nb

Most produce is seasonal and some also very localized, especially
artichokes. Artichokes are a thistle and in the US are grown
primarily in coastal California...

I checked this and it's true. Very disappointing, Sheldon.

As I said recently, he isn't _always_ wrong. Just most of the time.

Yes. I wish he was more consistent.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

Old 23-03-2021, 09:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-03-23 3:17 p.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
On 23 Mar 2021 15:02:52 GMT, notbob wrote:

When I went to the produce department at WalMart the last time it was
nice. They had some really nice fresh artichokes.

nb

Most produce is seasonal and some also very localized, especially
artichokes. Artichokes are a thistle and in the US are grown
primarily in coastal California... not a crop for the home gardener or
grown in a greenhouse... why they're kind of pricey for what they are.

I saw them in a grocery store here a week or two ago. That is a rare
sighting for me. They are all but non-existent around here.
Old 23-03-2021, 10:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 17:44:28 -0400, Dave Smith

On 2021-03-23 3:17 p.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
On 23 Mar 2021 15:02:52 GMT, notbob wrote:

When I went to the produce department at WalMart the last time it was
nice. They had some really nice fresh artichokes.
nb

Most produce is seasonal and some also very localized, especially
artichokes. Artichokes are a thistle and in the US are grown
primarily in coastal California... not a crop for the home gardener or
grown in a greenhouse... why they're kind of pricey for what they are.

I saw them in a grocery store here a week or two ago. That is a rare
sighting for me. They are all but non-existent around here.

I am not sure if you can grown them as far north as you are- you
probably can with careful planning. You can certainly grow them as an
annual here in NJ where I am.
Old 23-03-2021, 10:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2021 3:17 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
On 23 Mar 2021 15:02:52 GMT, notbob wrote:

When I went to the produce department at WalMart the last time it was
nice. They had some really nice fresh artichokes.

nb

There's some poor trimming of the post since I'm the one who actually
wrote about finding nice artichokes at Walmart, not nb. Yes, the
WalMart near me happened to have some nice produce and yes, artichokes.
It's all trucked in.

Most produce is seasonal

Of course it is.

and some also very localized, especially
artichokes. Artichokes are a thistle and in the US are grown
primarily in coastal California... not a crop for the home gardener or
grown in a greenhouse... why they're kind of pricey for what they are.

Yes, artichokes are very localized to California and areas with a
totally different climate and soil. What we eat are thistle blooms.

Finding some nice artichokes at the nearby Walmart once is not enough to
make me change where I shop for food or buy produce. I simply do not
like shopping at Walmart.

Oh, look! This is an old article from the RFC website I wrote about
artichokes:

http://www.recfoodcooking.org/tips/artichokes.html

Jill
Old 24-03-2021, 04:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

Gee, i've never tried fried artichokes (artichauts frits).

Old 26-03-2021, 01:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021 Mar 23, , jmcquown wrote
(in article ):

Oh, look! This is an old article from the RFC website I wrote about
artichokes:

http://www.recfoodcooking.org/tips/artichokes.html

We are just over the hill from artichoke country. They are nearly always
available at a price. Even here, and in season, getting a decent sized one on
sale costs about two bucks.
I read your article and agree with it. I do two things differently. I donīt
remove the choke until I have peeled and eaten the leaves right up to it. The
closer you get to the choke, the more edible the leaves become.
Then I use a sharp knife to cut the choke away from the heart, slice the
heart into bite-sized pieces and eat it. The heart is the best part.
Oh...and I steam a decent sized choke for forty-five minutes. The monsters I
took a picture of a couple of weeks ago were steamed for an hour. But
thatīs just me.

leo

[TN] '95 Pichon-Baron Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 19-06-2009 09:02 PM
[TN] '90 Pichon-Baron Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 4 10-01-2009 03:09 PM
Baron de Oņa GR 1998 Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 0 25-01-2008 08:39 PM
Pichon Baron '97 graham[_1_] Wine 1 12-08-2007 03:54 PM
Baron of Beef for 120 [email protected] Barbecue 2 25-10-2006 04:58 PM