Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How old is too old? Deep freezer has 3 yr old turkey, roasts a dstuf like cheap pizza and frozen soups , should i chuck it all and startover?

On 09/03/2021 14:26, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>> MREs from the Korean War? The Korean War happened about 30 years
>>> before the introduction of MREs. When I was in the reserves in the
>>> late 60s we had K Rations.

>> =====
>>
>> Gosh!!! You were in the reserves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Do tell us about all the wars you fought for your country!!!!!
>>
>> LOL

> Tell us about all the wars you fought for your country, Ophy.

I was referring to the put down when I told him about all the wars D.
had served in. Did you miss that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2021 6:54 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Taxed and Spent wrote:

>> ago >> . And it wasn't all that great , mostly because the cook I
>> worked >> with was a pepper freak .
>>>
>>> LOL, not frozen but had Korean war MREs in 2003.
>>>

>> And how were they?

> Not bad but we were pretty hungry. Ship in 'drydock' (such as it
> passes for in Sasebo Japan) and all water shut off. Portapotties
> topside.
>
> Fairly bland with some sort of heavy thick breaded thing.

Hey , I been to Sasebo ! We re-barrelled our 5
"-38's there and took some R&R . Beat the hell out of Subic Bay and
Olongapo City ! I think that was where we all bought electronics , I
came home with a bitchin' (for that time) quad system .
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 5:41:57 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> On 08/03/2021 22:54, Dave Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> LOL, not frozen but had Korean war MREs in 2003.

> > MREs from the Korean War? The Korean War happened about 30 years before
> > the introduction of MREs. When I was in the reserves in the late 60s we
> > had K Rations.

> =====
>
> Gosh!!! You were in the reserves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Do tell us about all the wars you fought for your country!!!!!

Have you fought any?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/03/2021 18:35, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 5:41:57 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

>>> MREs from the Korean War? The Korean War happened about 30 years before
>>> the introduction of MREs. When I was in the reserves in the late 60s we
>>> had K Rations.

>> =====
>>
>> Gosh!!! You were in the reserves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Do tell us about all the wars you fought for your country!!!!!

> Have you fought any?

No but my husband served for 22 years in many wars!

I will not stand back and say nothing when he is denigrated!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 1:54:10 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> On 10/03/2021 18:35, bruce bowser wrote:

> >> =====
> >>
> >> Gosh!!! You were in the reserves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >>
> >> Do tell us about all the wars you fought for your country!!!!!

> > Have you fought any?

> No but my husband served for 22 years in many wars!
>
> I will not stand back and say nothing when he is denigrated!

That's being assertive! That's good! Instead of procrastinating, like most other people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Snag wrote:

> On 3/8/2021 6:54 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Taxed and Spent wrote:

> in

> >>ago >> . And it wasn't all that great , mostly because the cook I
> >>worked >> with was a pepper freak .

> > > And how were they?

> > Not bad but we were pretty hungry. Ship in 'drydock' (such as it
> > passes for in Sasebo Japan) and all water shut off. Portapotties
> > topside.
> >
> > Fairly bland with some sort of heavy thick breaded thing.
> >

> Hey , I been to Sasebo ! We re-barrelled our 5
> "-38's there and took some R&R . Beat the hell out of Subic Bay and
> Olongapo City ! I think that was where we all bought electronics , I
> came home with a bitchin' (for that time) quad system .

Smile, Sasebo is actually good and Subic didn't impress me much. Never
got to Olangapo. Manilla many times!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> On 10/03/2021 18:35, bruce bowser wrote:

> > > =====
> > >
> > > Gosh!!! You were in the reserves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > >
> > > Do tell us about all the wars you fought for your country!!!!!

> > Have you fought any?

> No but my husband served for 22 years in many wars!
>
> I will not stand back and say nothing when he is denigrated!

Nor should you. I will note for those with no clue, the reserves do
indeed function and in wartime areas. about 10% of ours at any given
time are on active service. Most in the Gulf zone but others where
most needed such as critical jobs that train troops.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-03-11 9:11 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:

>>> Have you fought any?

>> No but my husband served for 22 years in many wars!
>>
>> I will not stand back and say nothing when he is denigrated!

> Nor should you. I will note for those with no clue, the reserves do
> indeed function and in wartime areas. about 10% of ours at any given
> time are on active service. Most in the Gulf zone but others where
> most needed such as critical jobs that train troops.

No one denigrated her husband. I had commented about the combat rations
we had in the late 60s when I was in the reserves. OgFeelMe jumped on
that to snipe at me for having had some peacetime military service when
I was a teen. Then Bowser asked her if SHE had fought in any. The stupid
cow then whined about her husband being denigrated. No one had
denigrated her husband.... but she had denigrated me. She never served,
so she is no one to try to belittle anyone else's involvement.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2021-03-11 9:11 p.m., cshenk wrote:

> > > No but my husband served for 22 years in many wars!
> > >
> > > I will not stand back and say nothing when he is denigrated!

> > Nor should you. I will note for those with no clue, the reserves do
> > indeed function and in wartime areas. about 10% of ours at any
> > given time are on active service. Most in the Gulf zone but others
> > where most needed such as critical jobs that train troops.
> >

> No one denigrated her husband. I had commented about the combat
> rations we had in the late 60s when I was in the reserves. OgFeelMe
> jumped on that to snipe at me for having had some peacetime military
> service when I was a teen. Then Bowser asked her if SHE had fought in
> any. The stupid cow then whined about her husband being denigrated.
> No one had denigrated her husband.... but she had denigrated me. She
> never served, so she is no one to try to belittle anyone else's
> involvement.

Right now a set of some Reserves and some National Guard are helping
out at the COVID vaccination sites. At heast, in the Virginia Beach
Convention center. The ones with appropriate medical training give
vaccinations and the others help with paperwork or assisting those who
need help with a wheelchair. The table where I was for my first shot
was with a reserve HM2 (Enlisted, medically qualified Hospital
Corpsman, Independant Duty Qualified which means she was also qualifed
for some levels of emergency surgery but not a full on MD. More
closely aligned to a PA but some gaps there as it's tailored more to
emergency needs in the field).

I think about 1/4 of the people there on my and Don's days were in
uniform. The guy who took Don's paperwork was National guard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-03-12 1:09 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> No one denigrated her husband. I had commented about the combat
>> rations we had in the late 60s when I was in the reserves. OgFeelMe
>> jumped on that to snipe at me for having had some peacetime military
>> service when I was a teen. Then Bowser asked her if SHE had fought in
>> any. The stupid cow then whined about her husband being denigrated.
>> No one had denigrated her husband.... but she had denigrated me. She
>> never served, so she is no one to try to belittle anyone else's
>> involvement.

> Right now a set of some Reserves and some National Guard are helping
> out at the COVID vaccination sites. At heast, in the Virginia Beach
> Convention center. The ones with appropriate medical training give
> vaccinations and the others help with paperwork or assisting those who
> need help with a wheelchair. The table where I was for my first shot
> was with a reserve HM2 (Enlisted, medically qualified Hospital
> Corpsman, Independant Duty Qualified which means she was also qualifed
> for some levels of emergency surgery but not a full on MD. More
> closely aligned to a PA but some gaps there as it's tailored more to
> emergency needs in the field).
>
> I think about 1/4 of the people there on my and Don's days were in
> uniform. The guy who took Don's paperwork was National guard.

Like many countries, we have a small standing army but a lot of reserve
units that are called up in time of need. I was 16 when I joined, went
through basic training and then had trades training. There was at least
one international incident that happened during my time that raised
concern about being called up.

I still don't know what sort of idiocy had control of her mind when she
started that ****ing contest that led to her whining about her husband's
service being denigrated. She started off with a snarky remark about me
to which Browser asked her about her service, and she chose to view that
as an attack on her husband. Nobody had said a word about the guy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 14:00:14 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

Can someone tell Dave to get over himself? What a sad life.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 14:00:14 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> Can someone tell Dave to get over himself? What a sad life.

Maybe you can make him feel better by sniffing his ass more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/12/2021 3:28 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 14:00:14 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>> Can someone tell Dave to get over himself? What a sad life.
>>

> Maybe you can make him feel better by sniffing his ass more.

I'm come from the land where when you break
wind there's thunder down under.
--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2021-03-12 1:09 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> > Dave Smith wrote:
> >

> > > No one denigrated her husband. I had commented about the combat
> > > rations we had in the late 60s when I was in the reserves.
> > > OgFeelMe jumped on that to snipe at me for having had some
> > > peacetime military service when I was a teen. Then Bowser asked
> > > her if SHE had fought in any. The stupid cow then whined about
> > > her husband being denigrated. No one had denigrated her
> > > husband.... but she had denigrated me. She never served, so she
> > > is no one to try to belittle anyone else's involvement.

> > Right now a set of some Reserves and some National Guard are helping
> > out at the COVID vaccination sites. At heast, in the Virginia Beach
> > Convention center. The ones with appropriate medical training give
> > vaccinations and the others help with paperwork or assisting those
> > who need help with a wheelchair. The table where I was for my
> > first shot was with a reserve HM2 (Enlisted, medically qualified
> > Hospital Corpsman, Independant Duty Qualified which means she was
> > also qualifed for some levels of emergency surgery but not a full
> > on MD. More closely aligned to a PA but some gaps there as it's
> > tailored more to emergency needs in the field).
> >
> > I think about 1/4 of the people there on my and Don's days were in
> > uniform. The guy who took Don's paperwork was National guard.

> Like many countries, we have a small standing army but a lot of
> reserve units that are called up in time of need. I was 16 when I
> joined, went through basic training and then had trades training.
> There was at least one international incident that happened during my
> time that raised concern about being called up.
>

> I still don't know what sort of idiocy had control of her mind when
> she started that ****ing contest that led to her whining about her
> husband's service being denigrated. She started off with a snarky
> remark about me to which Browser asked her about her service, and she
> chose to view that as an attack on her husband. Nobody had said a
> word about the guy.

Not really sure. I think she tried to email me at my old Cox address?
Cox sends me alerts but can't see the emails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/03/2021 23:22, cshenk wrote:

> Not really sure. I think she tried to email me at my old Cox address?
> Cox sends me alerts but can't see the emails

===

Carol, I recently changed my computer and instead of WLM that I have
always had, it is ThunderBird!

I had no idea how to use it and made a lot of mistakes.

I never actually tried to mail you, that was a wierd thing that I hadn't
figured out.

As for Dave ...

If you remember, I said to be proud of the service your Don did.

I also said, I am very proud of the service my husband did.

Janet UK made a nasty remark (as always) That my husband only served in
peacetime.

I made a list of the wars he had fought in and Dave made a nasty remark.

He has never stopped!!!

Apologies if I upset you, but it was not deliberate!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/13/2021 5:24 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> On 12/03/2021 23:22, cshenk wrote:
>

>> Not really sure.Â* I think she tried to email me at my old Cox address?
>> Cox sends me alerts but can't see the emails

> ===
>
> Carol, I recently changed my computer and instead of WLM that I have
> always had, it is ThunderBird!
>
> I had no idea how to use it and made a lot of mistakes.
>
> I never actually tried to mail you, that was a wierd thing that I hadn't
> figured out.
>
> As for Dave ...
>
> If you remember, I said to be proud of the service your Don did.
>
> I also said, I am very proud of the service my husband did.
>
> Janet UK made a nasty remark (as always) That my husband only served in
> peacetime.
>
> I made a list of the wars he had fought in and Dave made a nasty remark.
>
> He has never stopped!!!
>
> Apologies if I upset you, but it was not deliberate!

Don't worry about it, cshenk is a miserable bitch anyway.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Saturday, March 13, 2021 at 4:24:10 AM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> On 12/03/2021 23:22, cshenk wrote:
>

> > Not really sure. I think she tried to email me at my old Cox address?
> > Cox sends me alerts but can't see the emails

> ===
>
> Carol, I recently changed my computer and instead of WLM that I have
> always had, it is ThunderBird!
>
> I had no idea how to use it and made a lot of mistakes.
>
> I never actually tried to mail you, that was a wierd thing that I hadn't
> figured out.
>
> As for Dave ...
>
> If you remember, I said to be proud of the service your Don did.
>
> I also said, I am very proud of the service my husband did.
>
> Janet UK made a nasty remark (as always) That my husband only served in
> peacetime.
>
> I made a list of the wars he had fought in and Dave made a nasty remark.
>
> He has never stopped!!!
>
> Apologies if I upset you, but it was not deliberate!

**** off, eat shite and die...

None here would miss your utter uselessness...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Saturday, March 13, 2021 at 9:25:21 AM UTC-6, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > On 12/03/2021 23:22, cshenk wrote:
> >

> > > Not really sure. I think she tried to email me at my old Cox address?
> > > Cox sends me alerts but can't see the emails

> > ===
> >
> > Carol, I recently changed my computer and instead of WLM that I have
> > always had, it is ThunderBird!
> >
> > I had no idea how to use it and made a lot of mistakes.
> >
> > I never actually tried to mail you, that was a wierd thing that I hadn't
> > figured out.
> >
> > As for Dave ...
> >
> > If you remember, I said to be proud of the service your Don did.
> >
> > I also said, I am very proud of the service my husband did.
> >
> > Janet UK made a nasty remark (as always) That my husband only served in
> > peacetime.

> Nope. Another example of your failed comprehension. You're really
> losing it.
>
> I pointed out that (unlike rfc posters who were US war conscripts) he
> was not conscripted during wartime. He voluntarily signed up during
> peacetime. UK military conscription ended when he was still in primary
> school.
>
> As a real social historian would know.
>
> Janet UK

Lol...poor old OAFelia, can't even lie her way out of an old tunny fish can...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> On 12/03/2021 23:22, cshenk wrote:
>

> > Not really sure. I think she tried to email me at my old Cox
> > address? Cox sends me alerts but can't see the emails

> ===
>
> Carol, I recently changed my computer and instead of WLM that I have
> always had, it is ThunderBird!
>
> I had no idea how to use it and made a lot of mistakes.
>
> I never actually tried to mail you, that was a wierd thing that I
> hadn't figured out.
>
> As for Dave ...
>
> If you remember, I said to be proud of the service your Don did.
>
> I also said, I am very proud of the service my husband did.
>
> Janet UK made a nasty remark (as always) That my husband only served
> in peacetime.
>
> I made a list of the wars he had fought in and Dave made a nasty
> remark.
>
> He has never stopped!!!
>
> Apologies if I upset you, but it was not deliberate!

It's ok Ophelia. Sometimes, I quote parts of things that I don't agree
with and come back with a comment only on the part I agreed with. This
can be misunderstood on down the line.

As far as I know, Don and I are the only 'both retired military' couple
here but that's not said to be a slam on others. Women in the
military were about 10% of the total in 1983 when I entered. Only 10%
at best of those made the full 20 years. A lot of job fields were
closed to us when I came in. The last set just opened out (submarine
duty).

Anyways, with your new software and just getting used to it, I got 2
emails from you but all I could see was the title and your name. I
edited the account here to a fake email (need to make it more obviously
a fake).

I did make several comments on how Reserves and National Guard here in
the US are very useful. I didn't track if your husband was active duty
or Reserve actually. Doesn't matter.

It's sort of silly to banter about who served in a warzone, but the
view most military have (those who stay 20 or more years) is it's
almost 'luck of the draw' on if you will see such during your years.
What I mean is be placed in an actual combat zone. Don was Army in
1968 Vietnam, special forces in theater. When he finished his tour, he
came home for a bit then enlisted in the Navy to finish out at 22 years
of service. His luck was also to be hurt badly in the Beruit Truck
bombing.

I came in in 1983 and retired 2009. Mine was the tour in the gulf
where my back injuries stem from evasive action from a speed boat
attack. Don's got a couple of purple hearts and I qualify for one but
didn't realize it until years later. I was just over 20 years of
service when I saw 'combat action' on a ship under 'enemy fire'. Other
tours in combat zones didn't have our ship fired on.

I guess what I am trying to say is I respect your husband too. Where
we serve, has more to do with military orders and our training. For
every troop in war theater, there are about 20 in support positions who
in turn, usually are the ones who relieve them so they can either go
home, or take up a support position. You go where the service needs
you. They are called 'Orders' not 'Suggestions' for a reason.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 10:24:05 +0000, Ophelia >
wrote:

>On 12/03/2021 23:22, cshenk wrote:
>

>> Not really sure. I think she tried to email me at my old Cox address?
>> Cox sends me alerts but can't see the emails

>===
>
>Carol, I recently changed my computer and instead of WLM that I have
>always had, it is ThunderBird!

LOL.Windows does not come with Thunderbird, you terminal peanut.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Don was Army in
> 1968 Vietnam, special forces in theater. When he finished his tour, he
> came home for a bit then enlisted in the Navy to finish out at 22 years
> of service.

I had a friend here in the neighborhood that left the Navy about 18
months ago. He got a job as a National Park Ranger out west.
Interestingly, his Navy years would apply to retirement for his future
park ranger years.

I knew you could switch military branches and retain your years but
didn't know that about going civilian. Maybe that applies to all federal
government jobs???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/03/2021 17:18, cshenk wrote:
> [...]

> bombing.
>
> I came in in 1983 and retired 2009. Mine was the tour in the gulf
> where my back injuries stem from evasive action from a speed boat
> attack. Don's got a couple of purple hearts and I qualify for one but
> didn't realize it until years later. I was just over 20 years of
> service when I saw 'combat action' on a ship under 'enemy fire'. Other
> tours in combat zones didn't have our ship fired on.
>
> I guess what I am trying to say is I respect your husband too. Where
> we serve, has more to do with military orders and our training. For
> every troop in war theater, there are about 20 in support positions who
> in turn, usually are the ones who relieve them so they can either go
> home, or take up a support position. You go where the service needs
> you. They are called 'Orders' not 'Suggestions' for a reason.

Quite so))))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 13, 2021 at 5:24:10 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> On 12/03/2021 23:22, cshenk wrote:
>

> > Not really sure. I think she tried to email me at my old Cox address?
> > Cox sends me alerts but can't see the emails

> ===
>
> Carol, I recently changed my computer and instead of WLM that I have
> always had, it is ThunderBird!
>
> I had no idea how to use it and made a lot of mistakes.
>
> I never actually tried to mail you, that was a wierd thing that I hadn't
> figured out.
>
> As for Dave ...
>
> If you remember, I said to be proud of the service your Don did.
>
> I also said, I am very proud of the service my husband did.
>
> Janet UK made a nasty remark (as always) That my husband only served in
> peacetime.
>
> I made a list of the wars he had fought in and Dave made a nasty remark.
>
> He has never stopped!!!
>
> Apologies if I upset you, but it was not deliberate!

No prob! No prob! Who cares if the natives here get restless.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> > Don was Army in
> > 1968 Vietnam, special forces in theater. When he finished his
> > tour, he came home for a bit then enlisted in the Navy to finish
> > out at 22 years of service.

> I had a friend here in the neighborhood that left the Navy about 18
> months ago. He got a job as a National Park Ranger out west.
> Interestingly, his Navy years would apply to retirement for his
> future park ranger years.
>
> I knew you could switch military branches and retain your years but
> didn't know that about going civilian. Maybe that applies to all
> federal government jobs???

To an extent, it does. I can for example get a 'retirement' with only
5 years of civilian service because of my military service. At only 5
years, it's only about 125$ a month though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking