Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default White Castle for Dinner! 2/19/21

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 8:45:50 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> You can get those flavors from caramelization of sugars or during
> the Maillard reaction when meat browns (despite what dsi1 says).

What I said was that a burger steamed on onions has more umami that a grilled steak. What is it that you think I said? Your mind is getting pretty sketchy. It likes to fill in the blanks with random data.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 1:08:15 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 8:45:50 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > You can get those flavors from caramelization of sugars or during
> > the Maillard reaction when meat browns (despite what dsi1 says).

> What I said was that a burger steamed on onions has more umami that a grilled steak. What is it that you think I said? Your mind is getting pretty sketchy. It likes to fill in the blanks with random data.

Nope, it is simply that Cindy is intelligent and you are *not*...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 2:08:15 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 8:45:50 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > You can get those flavors from caramelization of sugars or during
> > the Maillard reaction when meat browns (despite what dsi1 says).

> What I said was that a burger steamed on onions has more umami that a grilled steak. What is
> it that you think I said? Your mind is getting pretty sketchy. It likes to fill in the blanks with
> random data.

If you say so. I'd much rather have a nice grilled steak than some weak-ass
steamed burger (with or without onions).

Leaving more of those weak-ass burgers for you. Win-win.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2021 12:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/23/2021 1:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Steamed hamburgers. uhhh ;o

>> I steamed a burger on a bed of re-hydrated onions last night. It was
>> pretty tasty and I didn't get grease splattered all to hell in the
>> kitchen. Didn't have to turn it nether. It was a good experience.
>>

> So after all of this talk about WC sliders I bought a package for lunch
> today.Â* Not the best I ever had, not the worst, but I'm pretty sure once
> these are gone I'll never bother again.

Those frozen ones are a joke. You have to go to a Castle, and
order them with extra cooked onion. I also get extra pickle.
Buy at least six, preferably eight, and get a big soda (Diet
Coke?) to go along with them. Do it when the weather is nice,
because 6-8 hours later you do not want to be indoors. Trust
me on that.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BryanGSimmons wrote:
> On 2/23/2021 12:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> I steamed a burger on a bed of re-hydrated onions last night. It
>>> was pretty tasty and I didn't get grease splattered all to hell
>>> in the kitchen. Didn't have to turn it nether. It was a good
>>> experience.
>>>

>> So after all of this talk about WC sliders I bought a package for
>> lunch today.Â* Not the best I ever had, not the worst, but I'm
>> pretty sure once these are gone I'll never bother again.

> Those frozen ones are a joke.* You have to go to a Castle, and
> order them with extra cooked onion.* I also get extra pickle.
> Buy at least six, preferably eight, and get a big soda (Diet
> Coke?) to go along with them.* Do it when the weather is nice,
> because 6-8 hours later you do not want to be indoors.* Trust
> me on that.

Might be a good time for druce to visit!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stu Rawlings" wrote in message ...

On 2/26/2021 9:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Stu Rawlings"Â wrote in message ...
>> Do you think I could really replicate any of that?? I am not sure(
>>

> Sure you could, here's the video my wife and I followed the first
> time we made them -
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjka9e_QuWw
>
> ===
>
> Â We, hubby and I, watched that vid and he was looking at me.... lol it
> means I should do that!!!! LOL
>
>  Thank you very much! I will be giving that a go)))

You're welcome, it's worth a shot. They do sell them frozen
at grocery stores around here, don't know if they're available
where you are, if you just wanted to try them first.

That Ballistic BBQ guy has a bunch of videos that are
pretty good.

===

He was ok Any you could recommend? You would need to share the url
though)))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2021 6:13 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Stu Rawlings"Â* wrote in message ...
>
> On 2/26/2021 9:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Stu Rawlings"ÂÂ* wrote in message ...
>>> Â*Do you think I could really replicate any of that?? I am not sure(
>>>

>> Sure you could, here's the video my wife and I followed the first
>> time we made them -
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjka9e_QuWw
>>
>> ===
>>
>> Â*Â We, hubby and I, watched that vid and he was looking at me.... lol
>> it means I should do that!!!! LOL
>>
>> Â*Â Thank you very much!ÂÂ* I will be giving that a go)))
>>

> You're welcome, it's worth a shot. They do sell them frozen
> at grocery stores around here, don't know if they're available
> where you are, if you just wanted to try them first.
>
> That Ballistic BBQ guy has a bunch of videos that are
> pretty good.
>
> ===
>
> Â* He was okÂ* Any you could recommend?Â* You would need to share the
> url though)))

See if any of these appeal to you -

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...Ballistic+BBQ+

Also, if you're into instant pot cooking this guy has
some good recipe videos -

https://pressureluckcooking.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stu Rawlings" wrote in message ...

On 2/26/2021 9:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Stu Rawlings"Â wrote in message ...
>> Do you think I could really replicate any of that?? I am not sure(
>>

> Sure you could, here's the video my wife and I followed the first
> time we made them -
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjka9e_QuWw
>
> ===
>
> Â We, hubby and I, watched that vid and he was looking at me.... lol it
> means I should do that!!!! LOL
>
>  Thank you very much! I will be giving that a go)))

You're welcome, it's worth a shot. They do sell them frozen
at grocery stores around here, don't know if they're available
where you are, if you just wanted to try them first.

That Ballistic BBQ guy has a bunch of videos that are
pretty good.

===

A question please The steam to cook them comes from the onion, yes?

My husband has mentioned them a couple of times, so I think I will need
to get going ... <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2021 6:21 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Stu Rawlings"Â* wrote in message ...
>
> On 2/26/2021 9:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Stu Rawlings"ÂÂ* wrote in message ...
>>> Â*Do you think I could really replicate any of that?? I am not sure(
>>>

>> Sure you could, here's the video my wife and I followed the first
>> time we made them -
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjka9e_QuWw
>>
>> ===
>>
>> Â*Â We, hubby and I, watched that vid and he was looking at me.... lol
>> it means I should do that!!!! LOL
>>
>> Â*Â Thank you very much!ÂÂ* I will be giving that a go)))
>>

> You're welcome, it's worth a shot. They do sell them frozen
> at grocery stores around here, don't know if they're available
> where you are, if you just wanted to try them first.
>
> That Ballistic BBQ guy has a bunch of videos that are
> pretty good.
>
> ===
>
> Â* A question pleaseÂ* The steam to cook them comes from the onion, yes?

Yes, the steam comes from the re-hydrated onions

> Â* My husband has mentioned them a couple of times, so I think I will
> need to get going ... <g>

Old joke -

Why does a White Castle hamburger have five holes in it?

That is how many bullets it took to kill the rat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 6:26:25 AM UTC-5, Stu Rawlings wrote:

> Old joke -
>
> Why does a White Castle hamburger have five holes in it?
>
> That is how many bullets it took to kill the rat.

For the discerning connoisseur of White Castle, I give you the
Aqua Rat:

<https://www.whitecastle.com/menu/panko-breaded-fish-slider>

Although the panko is a new development. Posh.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BryanGSimmons wrote:
> Those frozen ones are a joke. You have to go to a Castle, and
> order them with extra cooked onion. I also get extra pickle.
> Buy at least six, preferably eight, and get a big soda (Diet
> Coke?) to go along with them. Do it when the weather is nice,
> because 6-8 hours later you do not want to be indoors. Trust
> me on that.

The first and only time I went to a WC restaurant was at work for lunch
with all the other guys.

On the menu was 4 packs of hamburgers. I thought, "Who the hell wants to
buy 4 hamburgers for lunch," so I asked for 2 and probably paid too much
for them separately.

Not until I got back in the truck and opened the bag did I see just how
tiny they were. Live and learn. They *were* good though.

And I did buy one box of frozen from the store once years later. Not
really so good. Better to just buy a pound of mystery meat and make your
own.

On the other hand, that one year (circa 1990), McDonald's sold their
original hamburgers for only 25 cents each for a couple of months. Once
I found out that they freeze well, I pretty much ate nothing else during
that sale time. haha

Everytime I went there, I ordered 40 at a time. $10 plus tax.
Soon as they ran out, I went back for another 40. lol :-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 8:21:40 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> BryanGSimmons wrote:
> > Those frozen ones are a joke. You have to go to a Castle, and
> > order them with extra cooked onion. I also get extra pickle.
> > Buy at least six, preferably eight, and get a big soda (Diet
> > Coke?) to go along with them. Do it when the weather is nice,
> > because 6-8 hours later you do not want to be indoors. Trust
> > me on that.

> The first and only time I went to a WC restaurant was at work for lunch
> with all the other guys.
>
> On the menu was 4 packs of hamburgers. I thought, "Who the hell wants to
> buy 4 hamburgers for lunch," so I asked for 2 and probably paid too much
> for them separately.
>
> Not until I got back in the truck and opened the bag did I see just how
> tiny they were. Live and learn. They *were* good though.

The standard unit of White Castles is the "sack". As in, "Let's go get
a sack of Whitey's."

When I was a kid, they were 10 for $1. Individually they were 14 cents.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stu Rawlings" wrote in message ...

On 2/27/2021 6:13 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Stu Rawlings"Â wrote in message ...
>
> On 2/26/2021 9:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Stu Rawlings"ÀšÃ‚ wrote in message ...
>>> Â Do you think I could really replicate any of that?? I am not sure(
>>>

>> Sure you could, here's the video my wife and I followed the first
>> time we made them -
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjka9e_QuWw
>>
>> ===
>>
>>  Àš We, hubby and I, watched that vid and he was looking at me.... lol
>> it means I should do that!!!! LOL
>>
>>  Àš Thank you very much!ÀšÃ‚ I will be giving that a go)))
>>

> You're welcome, it's worth a shot. They do sell them frozen
> at grocery stores around here, don't know if they're available
> where you are, if you just wanted to try them first.
>
> That Ballistic BBQ guy has a bunch of videos that are
> pretty good.
>
> ===
>
>  He was ok Any you could recommend? You would need to share the
> url though)))

See if any of these appeal to you -

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...Ballistic+BBQ+

Also, if you're into instant pot cooking this guy has
some good recipe videos -

https://pressureluckcooking.com/

======

Thanks very much for that. I very recently bought an instant pot!! I
haven't got around to using it yet though))

I keep looking at it but what I see is one pot and I have all the 'pots'
that I have always used instead) It seems that one pot does all that!!!

I take it you have one yes??? How do you like it??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stu Rawlings" wrote in message ...

On 2/27/2021 6:21 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Stu Rawlings"Â wrote in message ...
>
> On 2/26/2021 9:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Stu Rawlings"ÀšÃ‚ wrote in message ...
>>> Â Do you think I could really replicate any of that?? I am not sure(
>>>

>> Sure you could, here's the video my wife and I followed the first
>> time we made them -
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjka9e_QuWw
>>
>> ===
>>
>>  Àš We, hubby and I, watched that vid and he was looking at me.... lol
>> it means I should do that!!!! LOL
>>
>>  Àš Thank you very much!ÀšÃ‚ I will be giving that a go)))
>>

> You're welcome, it's worth a shot. They do sell them frozen
> at grocery stores around here, don't know if they're available
> where you are, if you just wanted to try them first.
>
> That Ballistic BBQ guy has a bunch of videos that are
> pretty good.
>
> ===
>
>  A question please The steam to cook them comes from the onion,
> yes?

Yes, the steam comes from the re-hydrated onions

> Â My husband has mentioned them a couple of times, so I think I will
> need to get going ... <g>

Old joke -

Why does a White Castle hamburger have five holes in it?

That is how many bullets it took to kill the rat.

=====

Ouch!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stu Rawlings" wrote in message ...

On 2/27/2021 6:13 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Stu Rawlings"Â wrote in message ...
>
> On 2/26/2021 9:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Stu Rawlings"ÀšÃ‚ wrote in message ...
>>> Â Do you think I could really replicate any of that?? I am not sure(
>>>

>> Sure you could, here's the video my wife and I followed the first
>> time we made them -
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjka9e_QuWw
>>
>> ===
>>
>>  Àš We, hubby and I, watched that vid and he was looking at me.... lol
>> it means I should do that!!!! LOL
>>
>>  Àš Thank you very much!ÀšÃ‚ I will be giving that a go)))
>>

> You're welcome, it's worth a shot. They do sell them frozen
> at grocery stores around here, don't know if they're available
> where you are, if you just wanted to try them first.
>
> That Ballistic BBQ guy has a bunch of videos that are
> pretty good.
>
> ===
>
>  He was ok Any you could recommend? You would need to share the
> url though)))

See if any of these appeal to you -

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...Ballistic+BBQ+

=======

He talked about 'potato buns' ?

Also, if you're into instant pot cooking this guy has
some good recipe videos -

https://pressureluckcooking.com/

=====

Thanks, I am having a look

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 1:13:46 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

> He talked about 'potato buns' ?

Bread rolls using potato starch for some of the flour. It makes
them very tender.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 8:35:43 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 8:21:40 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> > BryanGSimmons wrote:
> > > Those frozen ones are a joke. You have to go to a Castle, and
> > > order them with extra cooked onion. I also get extra pickle.
> > > Buy at least six, preferably eight, and get a big soda (Diet
> > > Coke?) to go along with them. Do it when the weather is nice,
> > > because 6-8 hours later you do not want to be indoors. Trust
> > > me on that.

> > The first and only time I went to a WC restaurant was at work for lunch
> > with all the other guys.
> >
> > On the menu was 4 packs of hamburgers. I thought, "Who the hell wants to
> > buy 4 hamburgers for lunch," so I asked for 2 and probably paid too much
> > for them separately.
> >
> > Not until I got back in the truck and opened the bag did I see just how
> > tiny they were. Live and learn. They *were* good though.

> The standard unit of White Castles is the "sack". As in, "Let's go get
> a sack of Whitey's."
>
> When I was a kid, they were 10 for $1. Individually they were 14 cents.

That vs. 76 cents, now?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 1:11:51 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 7:22:28 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > On 2/25/2021 5:51 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > > A fried burger is not rich in umami. A burger steamed on onions is.
> > > Why do you think White Castle burgers are so popular?

> > Please give your definition of umami. I've read definitions and it's
> > still pretty vague. Nothing definite that I can see. Just a new and odd
> > word.
> >
> > I have no idea why White Castle burgers are popular. Had them once at a
> > real White Castle restaurant. Nothing but cute and tiny burger sliders
> >
> > The frozen version in stores isn't anything to brag about.
> > I bought a box of those once "for giggles and grins" but won't buy more.

> It's a somewhat salty taste but it's not salty. Browning re-hydrated onions in a White Castle burger

I know at White Castle somewhere that I've tasted Worcestershire sauce too, but I can't figure out where.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 10:08:25 AM UTC-10, Transition Zone wrote:
> On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 1:11:51 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > > Please give your definition of umami. I've read definitions and it's
> > > still pretty vague. Nothing definite that I can see. Just a new and odd
> > > word.
> > >
> > > I have no idea why White Castle burgers are popular. Had them once at a
> > > real White Castle restaurant. Nothing but cute and tiny burger sliders
> > >
> > > The frozen version in stores isn't anything to brag about.
> > > I bought a box of those once "for giggles and grins" but won't buy more.

> > It's a somewhat salty taste but it's not salty. Browning re-hydrated onions in a White Castle burger

> I know at White Castle somewhere that I've tasted Worcestershire sauce too, but I can't figure out where.

Worcestershire sauce is a fermented product so maybe White Castle burgers reminds you of that. It's the Western version of fish sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 10:20:22 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 01:59:39 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> A fried burger is not rich in umami. A burger steamed on onions is. Why do you think White Castle burgers are so popular?

> >Cindy Hamilton

> White Castle is rich in Mystery Meat.

Careful, Jill is about to tantrum again !!

> Many years ago,~45, I bit into one and spit it out, HORRID, even their buns are Sog City.
>
> I buy Accent from Amazon, they have all sizes but I buy the 2 LB
> container twin pack... I use it instead of salt, still on the first
> container since 05/27/2017:
> https://www.amazon.com/Accent-Natura...s%2C216&sr=8-2

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 5:21:17 AM UTC-6, Stu Rawlings wrote:

> Also, if you're into instant pot cooking this guy has
> some good recipe videos -
>
> https://pressureluckcooking.com/

Yes, he does have some good recipes and all of them can be used in the
Ninja Foodi, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 1:13:46 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

> He talked about 'potato buns' ?

Bread rolls using potato starch for some of the flour. It makes
them very tender.

Cindy Hamilton

===

Oh! thank you, I've never heard of that! Can I make it myself?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 10:08:25 AM UTC-10, Transition Zone wrote:
> On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 1:11:51 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > > Please give your definition of umami. I've read definitions and it's
> > > still pretty vague. Nothing definite that I can see. Just a new and
> > > odd
> > > word.
> > >
> > > I have no idea why White Castle burgers are popular. Had them once at
> > > real White Castle restaurant. Nothing but cute and tiny burger sliders
> > >
> > > The frozen version in stores isn't anything to brag about.
> > > I bought a box of those once "for giggles and grins" but won't buy
> > > more.

> > It's a somewhat salty taste but it's not salty. Browning re-hydrated
> > onions in a White Castle burger

> I know at White Castle somewhere that I've tasted Worcestershire sauce
> too, but I can't figure out where.

Worcestershire sauce is a fermented product so maybe White Castle burgers
reminds you of that. It's the Western version of fish sauce.

===

I didn't know that. I bought a bottle when I was trying out some of the
things I was learning from you lol never used it because I didn't know
how))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 5:21:42 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 1:13:46 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>
> > He talked about 'potato buns' ?

> Bread rolls using potato starch for some of the flour. It makes
> them very tender.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
> ===
>
> Oh! thank you, I've never heard of that! Can I make it myself?

Sure. There are recipes all over the net, or perhaps one of the bakers
here can provide a reliable recipe. You might have difficulty sourcing
potato starch, although I've done it (not for baking) by grating potatoes,
soaking them in water and letting the starch settle to the bottom.

I seem to recall there are recipes for using mashed potato, as well.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 5:21:42 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 1:13:46 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>
> > He talked about 'potato buns' ?

> Bread rolls using potato starch for some of the flour. It makes
> them very tender.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
> ===
>
> Oh! thank you, I've never heard of that! Can I make it myself?

Sure. There are recipes all over the net, or perhaps one of the bakers
here can provide a reliable recipe. You might have difficulty sourcing
potato starch, although I've done it (not for baking) by grating potatoes,
soaking them in water and letting the starch settle to the bottom.

I seem to recall there are recipes for using mashed potato, as well.

Cindy Hamilton

====

I'll do a search! Do you like them? Do they taste of potato?

Hey Stu!! Where are you?? ))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 6:43:58 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 5:21:42 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> > On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 1:13:46 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > > He talked about 'potato buns' ?

> > Bread rolls using potato starch for some of the flour. It makes
> > them very tender.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> > ===
> >
> > Oh! thank you, I've never heard of that! Can I make it myself?

> Sure. There are recipes all over the net, or perhaps one of the bakers
> here can provide a reliable recipe. You might have difficulty sourcing
> potato starch, although I've done it (not for baking) by grating potatoes,
> soaking them in water and letting the starch settle to the bottom.
>
> I seem to recall there are recipes for using mashed potato, as well.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
> ====
>
> I'll do a search! Do you like them? Do they taste of potato?

They're fairly ordinary soft, white rolls. I rarely have a use for
soft bread. They don't taste of potato, as far as I can recall.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 6:43:58 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 5:21:42 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> > On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 1:13:46 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > > He talked about 'potato buns' ?

> > Bread rolls using potato starch for some of the flour. It makes
> > them very tender.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> > ===
> >
> > Oh! thank you, I've never heard of that! Can I make it myself?

> Sure. There are recipes all over the net, or perhaps one of the bakers
> here can provide a reliable recipe. You might have difficulty sourcing
> potato starch, although I've done it (not for baking) by grating potatoes,
> soaking them in water and letting the starch settle to the bottom.
>
> I seem to recall there are recipes for using mashed potato, as well.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
> ====
>
> I'll do a search! Do you like them? Do they taste of potato?

They're fairly ordinary soft, white rolls. I rarely have a use for
soft bread. They don't taste of potato, as far as I can recall.

Cindy Hamilton

====

Ok thanks So my usual rolls that I make myself would be enough? )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2021 2:24 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 10:08:25 AM UTC-10, Transition Zone wrote:

>>> It's a somewhat salty taste but it's not salty. Browning re-hydrated
>>> onions in a White Castle burger

>> I know at White Castle somewhere that I've tasted Worcestershire sauce
>> too, but I can't figure out where.

> Worcestershire sauce is a fermented product so maybe White Castle burgers
> reminds you of that. It's the Western version of fish sauce.
>
> ===
>
> I didn't know that. I bought a bottle when I was trying out some of the
> things I was learning from you lol never used it because I didn't know
> how))

how to use it: sparingly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 9:11:34 AM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 2/28/2021 2:24 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> >> I know at White Castle somewhere that I've tasted Worcestershire sauce
> >> too, but I can't figure out where.

> > Worcestershire sauce is a fermented product so maybe White Castle burgers
> > reminds you of that. It's the Western version of fish sauce.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > I didn't know that. I bought a bottle when I was trying out some of the
> > things I was learning from you lol never used it because I didn't know
> > how))
> >

> how to use it: sparingly.

It's worth mentioning that fish sauce smells pretty bad, but if you use just
a touch, it adds a depth of flavor.

Italian cuisine uses anchovies for a similar effect; a few mashed up in a
pasta sauce adds a certain ineffable something.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2021 3:08 PM, Transition Zone wrote:
> I know at White Castle somewhere that I've tasted Worcestershire sauce too

At home, I've always added worchestershire sauce to all beef before or
during cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 10:20:44 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>On 2/27/2021 3:08 PM, Transition Zone wrote:
>> I know at White Castle somewhere that I've tasted Worcestershire sauce too

>At home, I've always added worchestershire sauce to all beef before or
>during cooking.

I usually add Kikkoman soy sauce, I have no worstershire, I can't
stand the taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2021 7:50 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 10:20:44 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> On 2/27/2021 3:08 PM, Transition Zone wrote:
>>> I know at White Castle somewhere that I've tasted Worcestershire sauce too

>> At home, I've always added worchestershire sauce to all beef before or
>> during cooking.

> I usually add Kikkoman soy sauce, I have no worstershire, I can't
> stand the taste.

Adding soy sauce to beef is TIAD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 1:43:58 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 5:21:42 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> > On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 1:13:46 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > > He talked about 'potato buns' ?

> > Bread rolls using potato starch for some of the flour. It makes
> > them very tender.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> > ===
> >
> > Oh! thank you, I've never heard of that! Can I make it myself?

> Sure. There are recipes all over the net, or perhaps one of the bakers
> here can provide a reliable recipe. You might have difficulty sourcing
> potato starch, although I've done it (not for baking) by grating potatoes,
> soaking them in water and letting the starch settle to the bottom.
>
> I seem to recall there are recipes for using mashed potato, as well.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
> ====
>
> I'll do a search! Do you like them? Do they taste of potato?
>
> Hey Stu!! Where are you?? ))

I've made Portuguese sweet bread AKA, Hawaiian sweet bread, with potato. I've used a boiled potato but it's just easier to use mashed potato flakes. That works fine. Mostly, making this bread by starting with a boiled potato is an old school thing to do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 07:57:09 -0800, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 2/28/2021 7:50 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:

>>> At home, I've always added worchestershire sauce to all beef before or
>>> during cooking.

>> I usually add Kikkoman soy sauce, I have no worstershire, I can't
>> stand the taste.

>Adding soy sauce to beef is TIAD.

There are millions of Orientals who will argue with you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 13:43:50 -0500, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 07:57:09 -0800, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>>> I usually add Kikkoman soy sauce, I have no worstershire, I can't
>>> stand the taste.

>>Adding soy sauce to beef is TIAD.

>There are millions of Orientals who will argue with you.

There are also millions who will argue with you about everything you
say. Your point is?

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2021 10:43 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 07:57:09 -0800, Taxed and Spent
> > wrote:

>>> I usually add Kikkoman soy sauce, I have no worstershire, I can't
>>> stand the taste.

>> Adding soy sauce to beef is TIAD.

> There are millions of Orientals who will argue with you.

It is good with a sauce, if you want an Asian flavor. Putting it on
beef alone is TIAD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 2:07:05 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 2/28/2021 10:43 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 07:57:09 -0800, Taxed and Spent
> > > wrote:

> >> Adding soy sauce to beef is TIAD.

> > There are millions of Orientals who will argue with you.
> >

> It is good with a sauce, if you want an Asian flavor. Putting it on
> beef alone is TIAD.

De gustibus.

I don't like sauces very much. When I stir-fry, I often give the meat
(beef, pork, or chicken) a half-hour soak in soy sauce, ginger, garlic,
sesame oil, and cornstarch.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2021 11:14 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 2:07:05 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
>> On 2/28/2021 10:43 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>> On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 07:57:09 -0800, Taxed and Spent

>>> There are millions of Orientals who will argue with you.
>>>

>> It is good with a sauce, if you want an Asian flavor. Putting it on
>> beef alone is TIAD.

> De gustibus.
>
> I don't like sauces very much. When I stir-fry, I often give the meat
> (beef, pork, or chicken) a half-hour soak in soy sauce, ginger, garlic,
> sesame oil, and cornstarch.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That's a sauce. That is fine, it give an Asian flavor. Just soy with
beef - TIAD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 2:14:29 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 2:07:05 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> > On 2/28/2021 10:43 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> > > On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 07:57:09 -0800, Taxed and Spent

> > > There are millions of Orientals who will argue with you.
> > >

> > It is good with a sauce, if you want an Asian flavor. Putting it on
> > beef alone is TIAD.

> De gustibus.
>
> I don't like sauces very much. When I stir-fry, I often give the meat
> (beef, pork, or chicken) a half-hour soak in soy sauce, ginger, garlic,
> sesame oil, and cornstarch.

Aha, sounds like a good excuse not to have to put soy sauce on after serving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 2:18:21 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 2/28/2021 11:14 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> It is good with a sauce, if you want an Asian flavor. Putting it on
> >> beef alone is TIAD.

> > De gustibus.
> >
> > I don't like sauces very much. When I stir-fry, I often give the meat
> > (beef, pork, or chicken) a half-hour soak in soy sauce, ginger, garlic,
> > sesame oil, and cornstarch.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> That's a sauce. That is fine, it give an Asian flavor. Just soy with
> beef - TIAD.

If that's the case, then soy sauce on beef is a sauce.

Cindy Hamilton