Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Ping: Jill

On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 4:00:57 PM UTC-5, US Janet wrote:
> Maybe this is the hummer that you have that visits you in the winter.
> Sorry that I can't put photo on this newsgroup. I am sure you own
> bird books. Quite a lovely bird.
>
> LOCAL NEWS
> Intermountain Bird Observatory seeing growth in Annas Hummingbird
> population in Idaho
> In 2015, there were only about 20 reported sightings of the bird. This
> winter there have been about 150 sightings.
>
> Author: Chase Biefeldt (KTVB)
> Published: 6:34 AM MST February 18, 2021
> Updated: 6:34 AM MST February 18, 2021
>
> BOISE, Idaho There are just over a handful of species of
> hummingbirds in Idaho, but one of those species are relatively new to
> the Gem State.
>
> They are called Annas Hummingbirds, and they are quite special.
>
> Most hummingbirds fly to Idaho in April and leave by September, but
> Annas Hummingbirds arrive in October and leave in March, staying here
> during the coldest months of the year.
>
> The Intermountain Bird Observatory (IBO) is trying to figure out why
> they can survive these cold months, and why they choose Idaho as their
> home.
>
> IBOs work began in 2015, when there were only about 20 reported
> sightings of Annas Hummingbirds in the winter, but this winter they
> have had more than 150 reports.
>
> Heidi Ware Carlisle at IBO is one of the lead researchers on the
> Wintering Annas Hummingbird Project.
>
> She said that many of the Annas Hummingbirds she tagged have come
> back multiple winters in a row, but just recently, they found one that
> stayed for the summer too.
>
> Her team published a paper about it, since it was the first one to
> ever stay for the warmer months.
>
> Thats never happened before, and were really curious to learn if
> thats going to continue to happen in other places, Carlisle said.
> If people see - especially a female Annas Hummingbird in the
> summertime - wed really like to know about it, because were hoping
> to document some nesting.
>
> If you would like a chance to see one of these beautiful birds in your
> backyard, Carlisle said you will need a heated bird feeder, and some
> nectar.
>
> She said a good sugar solution is one cup of water to one quarter cup
> of sugar.
> :
> (I didn't know there were such things as heated bird feeders.)
>
> Janet US

Interesting. I haven't seen a humming bird since I was a young lad. About 8 years old. I'm 65 now. The bird I saw hovered around a flower on the farm of my uncle. They are just not around here. A very memorable experience. My German Shepard got killed the same year. Wonder and tragedy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default BTW (WAS: OT Ping: Jill)

On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 7:52:37 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

> On 2/21/2021 1:52 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> >
> > Ferrets stink.
> >

> Nonsense. Ferrets themselves don't stink at all.
>
> John didn't take the trouble to litter train them. Untrained, a ferret
> will run to the nearest corner to pee and/or poop. That's what you
> smelled. Every corner in his mobile home was a bathroom to them.

My nephew had a ferret and it stunk. Its' scent glands were not removed,
it was foul-smelling when it marked its' territory.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 7:26:37 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

> On 2/22/2021 1:51 PM, wrote:
>
> > My nephew had a ferret and it stunk. Its' scent glands were not removed,
> > it was foul-smelling when it marked its' territory.
> >

> Un-neutered male cats make a very foul-smelling area when they mark
> their territory. When Mr.Kitty first did that, he went to the vet the
> next day to "get fixed." Problem solved.

Yes, they will mark their territory but I've always had my cats neutered or
spayed. It's better for them (roaming is greatly reduced, fighting is greatly
reduced, and no unwanted kittens) and better for me too. No trotting to the
vet to get a cat injury sewed up and no begging people to take the kittens.

> "Ferrets stink" is a very common and unfair myth.

See my statement from yesterday about scent glands not being removed.
If they're not removed, they stink and mark their territory.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 13:57:29 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 7:26:37 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
>>
>> On 2/22/2021 1:51 PM, wrote:
>>
>> > My nephew had a ferret and it stunk. Its' scent glands were not removed,
>> > it was foul-smelling when it marked its' territory.
>> >

>> Un-neutered male cats make a very foul-smelling area when they mark
>> their territory. When Mr.Kitty first did that, he went to the vet the
>> next day to "get fixed." Problem solved.
>>

>Yes, they will mark their territory but I've always had my cats neutered or
>spayed. It's better for them (roaming is greatly reduced, fighting is greatly
>reduced, and no unwanted kittens) and better for me too. No trotting to the
>vet to get a cat injury sewed up and no begging people to take the kittens.

You're right. People shouldn't let cats freely roam around and
especially not cats that haven't been neutered. Cat shelters are
already so full they end up putting them down.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 4:01:37 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 13:57:29 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >Yes, they will mark their territory but I've always had my cats neutered or
> >spayed. It's better for them (roaming is greatly reduced, fighting is greatly
> >reduced, and no unwanted kittens) and better for me too. No trotting to the
> >vet to get a cat injury sewed up and no begging people to take the kittens.
> >

> You're right. People shouldn't let cats freely roam around and
> especially not cats that haven't been neutered. Cat shelters are
> already so full they end up putting them down.

My last 2½ cats were indoor cats and that's because they were declawed.. The
other one that I said was ½ was Smitty; he was half in and half out. He would
only go outside when it was dark, he thought nobody could see him. ))
But all were 'fixed.' I never once saw a scratch or any fight marks on him even
though he would only venture out at night.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 14:27:43 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 4:01:37 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 13:57:29 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Yes, they will mark their territory but I've always had my cats neutered or
>> >spayed. It's better for them (roaming is greatly reduced, fighting is greatly
>> >reduced, and no unwanted kittens) and better for me too. No trotting to the
>> >vet to get a cat injury sewed up and no begging people to take the kittens.
>> >

>> You're right. People shouldn't let cats freely roam around and
>> especially not cats that haven't been neutered. Cat shelters are
>> already so full they end up putting them down.
>>

>My last 2 cats were indoor cats and that's because they were declawed. The
>other one that I said was was Smitty; he was half in and half out. He would
>only go outside when it was dark, he thought nobody could see him. ))
>But all were 'fixed.' I never once saw a scratch or any fight marks on him even
>though he would only venture out at night.

Wondering when de clawed will be outlawed in America. It's barbaric
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 9:04:26 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 14:27:43 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >My last 2˝ cats were indoor cats and that's because they were declawed.
> >

> Wondering when de clawed will be outlawed in America. It's barbaric

They came to me already declawed. Any cats that I adopted in the past were
all fully loaded.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 20:25:28 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 9:04:26 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 14:27:43 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >My last 2? cats were indoor cats and that's because they were declawed.
>> >

>> Wondering when de clawed will be outlawed in America. It's barbaric
>>

>They came to me already declawed. Any cats that I adopted in the past were
>all fully loaded.

That was my copycat fan. I post with Eternal September now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2021 4:20 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 08:10:35 +1100, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 16:06:02 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> I, too, think declawing is horrific. My cat Persia was front-declawed
>>> before she ever came to live with me. I would never do that to a cat.
>>> I noticed she used to step rather gingerly, especially on one front paw.
>>> I'm sure having the end of her toes cut off (ugh) had something to do
>>> with it.

>> Yes, it's mutilation. If you're that worried about your furniture, get
>> a goldfish.

My cat Buffy has all her claws. You can buy large rolls of clear
double-sided sticky tape. If you don't want want your cat to claw the
furniture, try putting some of that on the areas where they like to
scratch the fabric on furniture. Cats don't like sticky tape.

> There is nothing stopping a person using clippers and trimming the
> front paw nails, has worked with all my cats. Need to do it about
> every 2 or 3 weeks.

Nothing, perhaps, except the cat itself. Initially Buffy had no
problem with me clipping her nails. I was very careful not to cut too
far back. She decided she didn't like it, though, and started fighting
me tooth and nail (pardon the pun!. Her vet does it, no charge.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 17:20:30 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 08:10:35 +1100, Bruce > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 16:06:02 -0500, jmcquown >
>>wrote:

>>>I, too, think declawing is horrific. My cat Persia was front-declawed
>>>before she ever came to live with me. I would never do that to a cat.
>>>I noticed she used to step rather gingerly, especially on one front paw.
>>> I'm sure having the end of her toes cut off (ugh) had something to do
>>>with it.

>>Yes, it's mutilation. If you're that worried about your furniture, get
>>a goldfish.

>There is nothing stopping a person using clippers and trimming the
>front paw nails, has worked with all my cats. Need to do it about
>every 2 or 3 weeks.

We've got a scratch pad for our cats. One of them uses it the moment
he sees me get up in the morning. "Food's coming, time for a
celebratory scratch!"

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 16:33:18 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/27/2021 4:20 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 08:10:35 +1100, Bruce > wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, it's mutilation. If you're that worried about your furniture, get
>>> a goldfish.

>My cat Buffy has all her claws. You can buy large rolls of clear
>double-sided sticky tape. If you don't want want your cat to claw the
>furniture, try putting some of that on the areas where they like to
>scratch the fabric on furniture. Cats don't like sticky tape.
>
>> There is nothing stopping a person using clippers and trimming the
>> front paw nails, has worked with all my cats. Need to do it about
>> every 2 or 3 weeks.
>>

>Nothing, perhaps, except the cat itself. Initially Buffy had no
>problem with me clipping her nails. I was very careful not to cut too
>far back. She decided she didn't like it, though, and started fighting
>me tooth and nail (pardon the pun!. Her vet does it, no charge.

It's strange how cats can let the vet do to them what they won't let
their owners do. They go in some sort of freeze mode at the vet's and
don't resist much, as long as it doesn't really hurt.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 11:39:32 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 16:33:18 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> >My cat Buffy has all her claws. You can buy large rolls of clear
> >double-sided sticky tape. If you don't want want your cat to claw the
> >furniture, try putting some of that on the areas where they like to
> >scratch the fabric on furniture. Cats don't like sticky tape.
> >
> >> There is nothing stopping a person using clippers and trimming the
> >> front paw nails, has worked with all my cats. Need to do it about
> >> every 2 or 3 weeks.
> >>

> >Nothing, perhaps, except the cat itself. Initially Buffy had no
> >problem with me clipping her nails. I was very careful not to cut too
> >far back. She decided she didn't like it, though, and started fighting
> >me tooth and nail (pardon the pun!. Her vet does it, no charge.

> It's strange how cats can let the vet do to them what they won't let
> their owners do. They go in some sort of freeze mode at the vet's and
> don't resist much, as long as it doesn't really hurt.
> --
> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

That's what happens when you're taken out of your normal environment i.e., your comfort zone. Well, if you're a cat anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 13:46:44 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 11:39:32 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 16:33:18 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> >My cat Buffy has all her claws. You can buy large rolls of clear
>> >double-sided sticky tape. If you don't want want your cat to claw the
>> >furniture, try putting some of that on the areas where they like to
>> >scratch the fabric on furniture. Cats don't like sticky tape.

>> >Nothing, perhaps, except the cat itself. Initially Buffy had no
>> >problem with me clipping her nails. I was very careful not to cut too
>> >far back. She decided she didn't like it, though, and started fighting
>> >me tooth and nail (pardon the pun!. Her vet does it, no charge.

>> It's strange how cats can let the vet do to them what they won't let
>> their owners do. They go in some sort of freeze mode at the vet's and
>> don't resist much, as long as it doesn't really hurt.
>> --
>> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

>That's what happens when you're taken out of your normal environment i.e., your comfort zone. Well, if you're a cat anyway.

Yes, that's it.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 3:20:35 PM UTC-6, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

> There is nothing stopping a person using clippers and trimming the
> front paw nails, has worked with all my cats. Need to do it about
> every 2 or 3 weeks.

I would trim Pema's back claws every 2 or 3 weeks. When she'd walk across me
and I'd feel those little daggers digging in I'd trim them the next day. They were
trimmed the morning she got sick and went to the vet for the last time.

:`o(
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 17:20:30 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 08:10:35 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>>> Yes, it's mutilation. If you're that worried about your furniture, get
>>> a goldfish.

>> There is nothing stopping a person using clippers and trimming the
>> front paw nails, has worked with all my cats. Need to do it about
>> every 2 or 3 weeks.

> We've got a scratch pad for our cats. One of them uses it the moment
> he sees me get up in the morning. "Food's coming, time for a
> celebratory scratch!"

How nice druce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 12:06:15 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> Yes, that's it.
> --
> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

Someone took a cat to the animal clinic yesterday. My daughter says the woman found the cat and was taking care of it. She wanted to find out if she was chipped. She was except that it was a he-cat. They contacted the owner to let him know that they had found his cat. He said he's not missing a cat - he saw her that morning. Ha ha the guy thought it was a female cat too. He lived next to the person that found his cat. Evidently, the cat is a two timing varmint. My wife thinks that our cat is a two-timing varmint. She's not that interested in eating yet is getting to be a fat cat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 08:37:00 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 17:20:30 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 08:10:35 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>>>Yes, it's mutilation. If you're that worried about your furniture, get
>>>a goldfish.

>>There is nothing stopping a person using clippers and trimming the
>>front paw nails, has worked with all my cats. Need to do it about
>>every 2 or 3 weeks.

>We've got a scratch pad for our cats. One of them uses it the moment
>he sees me get up in the morning. "Food's coming, time for a
>celebratory scratch!"

Yes I have those too, but that doesn't prevent her from showing
dislike by clawing the furniture too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 21:42:42 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 08:37:00 +1100, Bruce > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 17:20:30 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>>>There is nothing stopping a person using clippers and trimming the
>>>front paw nails, has worked with all my cats. Need to do it about
>>>every 2 or 3 weeks.

>>We've got a scratch pad for our cats. One of them uses it the moment
>>he sees me get up in the morning. "Food's coming, time for a
>>celebratory scratch!"

>Yes I have those too, but that doesn't prevent her from showing
>dislike by clawing the furniture too.

We're lucky then. He limits it to the scratch pad and our female
rarely scratches.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 15:31:02 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 3:20:35 PM UTC-6, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>
>> There is nothing stopping a person using clippers and trimming the
>> front paw nails, has worked with all my cats. Need to do it about
>> every 2 or 3 weeks.
>>

>I would trim Pema's back claws every 2 or 3 weeks. When she'd walk across me
>and I'd feel those little daggers digging in I'd trim them the next day. They were
>trimmed the morning she got sick and went to the vet for the last time.
>
>:`o(

To prevent furniture clawing you only need to do front claws.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 18:03:46 -0600, BryanGSimmons
> wrote:

>On 2/27/2021 3:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> They came to me already declawed.* Any cats that I adopted in the past
>>> were
>>> all fully loaded.
>>>

>> I, too, think declawing is horrific.* My cat Persia was front-declawed
>> before she ever came to live with me.* I would never do that to a cat. I
>> noticed she used to step rather gingerly, especially on one front paw.
>> *I'm sure having the end of her toes cut off (ugh) had something to do
>> with it.
> >

>Sometimes you have to do it. I'm not talking about protecting the
>furniture, but protecting your skin. With our current cat, which
>we've had since 2006, we'd otherwise have returned her to APA,
>which would have meant euthanasia. Her claws had drawn blood from
>me, my wife and my small child. "Having the end of her toes cut
>off," which is an accurate description of declawing, was the best
>alternative.
>>
>> Jill

It is such a cruel operation it was banned here several years ago.
Very simple to trim the claws regularly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 21:47:59 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 15:31:02 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 3:20:35 PM UTC-6, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>>
>>> There is nothing stopping a person using clippers and trimming the
>>> front paw nails, has worked with all my cats. Need to do it about
>>> every 2 or 3 weeks.
>>>

>>I would trim Pema's back claws every 2 or 3 weeks. When she'd walk across me
>>and I'd feel those little daggers digging in I'd trim them the next day. They were
>>trimmed the morning she got sick and went to the vet for the last time.
>>
>>:`o(

>To prevent furniture clawing you only need to do front claws.

That should be banned. I think it's banned in most countries and in
many US states.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 21:47:59 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 15:31:02 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 3:20:35 PM UTC-6, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>>
>>> There is nothing stopping a person using clippers and trimming the
>>> front paw nails, has worked with all my cats. Need to do it about
>>> every 2 or 3 weeks.
>>>

>>I would trim Pema's back claws every 2 or 3 weeks. When she'd walk across me
>>and I'd feel those little daggers digging in I'd trim them the next day. They were
>>trimmed the morning she got sick and went to the vet for the last time.
>>
>>:`o(

>To prevent furniture clawing you only need to do front claws.

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about declawing.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 21:47:59 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 15:31:02 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 3:20:35 PM UTC-6, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>>
>>> There is nothing stopping a person using clippers and trimming the
>>> front paw nails, has worked with all my cats. Need to do it about
>>> every 2 or 3 weeks.
>>>

>>I would trim Pema's back claws every 2 or 3 weeks. When she'd walk across me
>>and I'd feel those little daggers digging in I'd trim them the next day. They were
>>trimmed the morning she got sick and went to the vet for the last time.
>>
>>:`o(

>To prevent furniture clawing you only need to do front claws.

Go to Amazon and search "cat nail covers" As seen on a Veterinarian
show.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 13:46:44 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 11:39:32 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 16:33:18 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> >My cat Buffy has all her claws. You can buy large rolls of clear
>> >double-sided sticky tape. If you don't want want your cat to claw the
>> >furniture, try putting some of that on the areas where they like to
>> >scratch the fabric on furniture. Cats don't like sticky tape.

>> >Nothing, perhaps, except the cat itself. Initially Buffy had no
>> >problem with me clipping her nails. I was very careful not to cut too
>> >far back. She decided she didn't like it, though, and started fighting
>> >me tooth and nail (pardon the pun!. Her vet does it, no charge.

>> It's strange how cats can let the vet do to them what they won't let
>> their owners do. They go in some sort of freeze mode at the vet's and
>> don't resist much, as long as it doesn't really hurt.
>> --
>> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

>That's what happens when you're taken out of your normal environment i.e.,
>your comfort zone. Well, if you're a cat anyway.

Yes, that's it.

====

It happens with our wee dog too!!!! She freezes!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 12:06:15 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> Yes, that's it.
> --
> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

Someone took a cat to the animal clinic yesterday. My daughter says the
woman found the cat and was taking care of it. She wanted to find out if she
was chipped. She was except that it was a he-cat. They contacted the owner
to let him know that they had found his cat. He said he's not missing a
cat - he saw her that morning. Ha ha the guy thought it was a female cat
too. He lived next to the person that found his cat. Evidently, the cat is a
two timing varmint. My wife thinks that our cat is a two-timing varmint.
She's not that interested in eating yet is getting to be a fat cat.

===

But not while you are watching))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 12:46:17 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 21:42:42 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 08:37:00 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>>>We've got a scratch pad for our cats. One of them uses it the moment
>>>he sees me get up in the morning. "Food's coming, time for a
>>>celebratory scratch!"

>>Yes I have those too, but that doesn't prevent her from showing
>>dislike by clawing the furniture too.

>We're lucky then. He limits it to the scratch pad and our female
>rarely scratches.

This cat, Winnie, is different to all my other cats that I have had -
she was a rescue, when they trapped her feral mum she was pregnant, so
they kept her until the kittens were born, spayed and released her. I
think being orphaned like that had an effect on her. She is very
suspicious of anyone but me and will not tolerate any other animals.

She finally seemed to make up her mind that she liked me after I was
in hospital for ten days and my granddaughter-in-law was seeing to her
night and morning. When I came home, she sat on the bed and howled at
me for about 10 minutes before finally giving in!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 12:50:19 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 21:47:59 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 15:31:02 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>>>I would trim Pema's back claws every 2 or 3 weeks. When she'd walk across me
>>>and I'd feel those little daggers digging in I'd trim them the next day. They were
>>>trimmed the morning she got sick and went to the vet for the last time.
>>>
>>>:`o(

>>To prevent furniture clawing you only need to do front claws.

>That should be banned. I think it's banned in most countries and in
>many US states.

I meant claw trimming, totally against declawing which has been
illegal here for several years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 00:29:48 -0700, US Janet >
wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 21:47:59 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 15:31:02 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>>>I would trim Pema's back claws every 2 or 3 weeks. When she'd walk across me
>>>and I'd feel those little daggers digging in I'd trim them the next day. They were
>>>trimmed the morning she got sick and went to the vet for the last time.
>>>
>>>:`o(

>>To prevent furniture clawing you only need to do front claws.

>Go to Amazon and search "cat nail covers" As seen on a Veterinarian
>show.
>Janet US

Yes I have seen those but in the long run, it doesn't matter to me
My furniture is not in shreds and I could always go catless lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 4:33:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On 2/27/2021 4:20 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 08:10:35 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

> >> Yes, it's mutilation. If you're that worried about your furniture, get
> >> a goldfish.

> My cat Buffy has all her claws. You can buy large rolls of clear
> double-sided sticky tape. If you don't want want your cat to claw the
> furniture, try putting some of that on the areas where they like to
> scratch the fabric on furniture. Cats don't like sticky tape.
> > There is nothing stopping a person using clippers and trimming the
> > front paw nails, has worked with all my cats. Need to do it about
> > every 2 or 3 weeks.

> Nothing, perhaps, except the cat itself. Initially Buffy had no
> problem with me clipping her nails. I was very careful not to cut too
> far back. She decided she didn't like it, though, and started fighting
> me tooth and nail (pardon the pun!. Her vet does it, no charge.

You are so caring!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2021 7:49 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 18:03:46 -0600, BryanGSimmons
> > wrote:

>>> I, too, think declawing is horrific.* My cat Persia was front-declawed
>>> before she ever came to live with me.* I would never do that to a cat. I
>>> noticed she used to step rather gingerly, especially on one front paw.
>>> *I'm sure having the end of her toes cut off (ugh) had something to do
>>> with it.
>>>

>> Sometimes you have to do it. I'm not talking about protecting the
>> furniture, but protecting your skin. With our current cat, which
>> we've had since 2006, we'd otherwise have returned her to APA,
>> which would have meant euthanasia. Her claws had drawn blood from
>> me, my wife and my small child. "Having the end of her toes cut
>> off," which is an accurate description of declawing, was the best
>> alternative.
>>>
>>> Jill

> It is such a cruel operation it was banned here several years ago.
> Very simple to trim the claws regularly.

Very easy to return it to the animal shelter to be gassed.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>On 2/27/2021 ucretia Borgia wrote:

>>> Sometimes you have to do it. I'm not talking about protecting the
>>> furniture, but protecting your skin. With our current cat, which
>>> we've had since 2006, we'd otherwise have returned her to APA,
>>> which would have meant euthanasia. Her claws had drawn blood from
>>> me, my wife and my small child. "Having the end of her toes cut
>>> off," which is an accurate description of declawing, was the best
>>> alternative.

>> It is such a cruel operation it was banned here several years ago.
>> Very simple to trim the claws regularly.

A proper scratching post solves that problem... a length of tree log
about 8" diam. works well. We have two mounted floor to ceiling in
the basement, one maple the other white birch. Those carpet covered
things sold in pet shops are a waste of money... ours were free. Trees
are normal scratching posts in the wild. Wood wears down cat claws,
carpeting does not and may even harm a cat as the claws become snagged
in the carpeting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2021 8:47 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 15:31:02 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 3:20:35 PM UTC-6, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>>
>>> There is nothing stopping a person using clippers and trimming the
>>> front paw nails, has worked with all my cats. Need to do it about
>>> every 2 or 3 weeks.
>>>

>> I would trim Pema's back claws every 2 or 3 weeks. When she'd walk across me
>> and I'd feel those little daggers digging in I'd trim them the next day. They were
>> trimmed the morning she got sick and went to the vet for the last time.
>>
>> :`o(

> To prevent furniture clawing you only need to do front claws.

True. Back claws on both cats and ferrets usually stay dull too. Only
the front ones can get very sharp and if you don't trim them, they will
actually grow long and curl back into their toes.

I don't think trimming cat front claws stop the scratching but it does
reduce the damage they can do. Ferrets don't scratch anything like cats do.

Mr.Kitty was retarded. After his morning poop, he knew to scratch but
never learned it was to bury his poo. He would scratch the wall next to
his litter box and leave to poo unburied. Did that every morning and
the smell would drift into my room. Had to get up and bury the poo for him.

This could have been an ongoing contest of who was the Alpha here. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2021 8:42 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 08:37:00 +1100, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 17:20:30 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
>> > wrote:

>>> There is nothing stopping a person using clippers and trimming the
>>> front paw nails, has worked with all my cats. Need to do it about
>>> every 2 or 3 weeks.

>> We've got a scratch pad for our cats. One of them uses it the moment
>> he sees me get up in the morning. "Food's coming, time for a
>> celebratory scratch!"

> Yes I have those too, but that doesn't prevent her from showing
> dislike by clawing the furniture too.

I don't think it's dislike. It's a natural thing. Buffy has a piece of
cat furniture with four wooden posts and she definitely uses them. She
has a flat cardboard scratcher, too. She uses them a lot but it doesn't
trim the nails and they didn't stop her from stretching up and clawing
the back corners of the Queen Anne style chairs in the living room.
That's when I applied the two-sided sticky tape. That stopped her.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/27/2021 4:20 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> >On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 08:10:35 +1100, Bruce > wrote:
> >
> > > On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 16:06:02 -0500, jmcquown

> to do
> > >
> > > Yes, it's mutilation. If you're that worried about your
> > > furniture, get a goldfish.

> My cat Buffy has all her claws. You can buy large rolls of clear
> double-sided sticky tape. If you don't want want your cat to claw
> the furniture, try putting some of that on the areas where they like
> to scratch the fabric on furniture. Cats don't like sticky tape.
>
> > There is nothing stopping a person using clippers and trimming the
> > front paw nails, has worked with all my cats. Need to do it about
> > every 2 or 3 weeks.
> >

> Nothing, perhaps, except the cat itself. Initially Buffy had no
> problem with me clipping her nails. I was very careful not to cut
> too far back. She decided she didn't like it, though, and started
> fighting me tooth and nail (pardon the pun!. Her vet does it, no
> charge.
>
> Jill

Daisy-chans got clipped for free at the vets. It was for their
safety...

ping Jill Ophelia[_9_] General Cooking 10 11-01-2013 11:37 PM
Ping: Jill D.Currie General Cooking 2 08-04-2006 07:23 PM
Ping: Jill MaryL General Cooking 3 01-03-2006 03:34 AM
Ping:Jill biig General Cooking 2 29-08-2005 07:49 PM
PING: Jill Elisa General Cooking 3 07-05-2005 04:31 AM