Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hunt's "Meatloaf Fixins"

On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 11:37:51 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> Chinese cooks like ketchup. It's used as a sweetener and because it "brightens" up a dish.

Yum-yum sauce comes to mind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 11:31:22 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 10:24:42 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> We very rarely eat fries. I don't consider that any of those fast
>> food joints have edible fries, they're all extruded and frozen...
>> blech!
>>

>I'll take your word for it that you rarely eat fries or rarely eat out. Not
>a single fast food joint I've patronized serves "extruded fries." Frozen,
>yes, that's how they can serve truckloads of them daily, extruded, no.
>>
>> it's very difficult for
>> me to accept that proclaimed Foodies ever eat Mystery meat.
>>

>I'm no foodie, never have claimed to be one and never will be one, but
>I eat "Mystery meat" quite frequently!

I once saw an item about Dutch mince meat. It was meat from African
cows. But because of conditions there, the meat was too lean. Luckily,
the EU had a mountain of excess beef fat from other sources. So they
would add some of that to the mince meat to get a good level of
fattiness. Mystery meat alright.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 09:37:48 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 3:23:47 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>> > When I make meatloaf I add about a half cup of ketchup to the meat mix
>> > and I spread some on top before it goes into the oven. Then I have a
>> > little as a condiment when I eat it.

>> I only use it as a topping before it goes in the oven.
>> > It is one of the very few foods
>> > that I have with ketchup.

>> I've noticed that many good chefs have no problem using commercial ketchup.
>>
>> Recently heard Bobby Flay say, "It's a good ingredient to use. No need
>> to "reinvent the wheel."

>Chinese cooks like ketchup. It's used as a sweetener and because it "brightens" up a dish.

We use very little ketchup but I like some on cold leftovers,
especially on a potato omelet. I haven't noticed any change over the
decades in Heinze Red. And it's extremely easy to jazz it up with
ordinary cooking ingredients... one of my favorites is to add some
real maple syrup, zips up most any leftover meat sandwich... will even
save a mystery meat burger. If McDs offered real maple syrup with
their condiments they'd double their sales.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 06:44:40 +1100, Master Bruce wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 11:31:22 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 10:24:42 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> We very rarely eat fries. I don't consider that any of those fast
>>> food joints have edible fries, they're all extruded and frozen...
>>> blech!
>>>

>>I'll take your word for it that you rarely eat fries or rarely eat out. Not
>>a single fast food joint I've patronized serves "extruded fries." Frozen,
>>yes, that's how they can serve truckloads of them daily, extruded, no.
>>>
>>> it's very difficult for
>>> me to accept that proclaimed Foodies ever eat Mystery meat.
>>>

>>I'm no foodie, never have claimed to be one and never will be one, but
>>I eat "Mystery meat" quite frequently!

> I once saw an item about Dutch mince meat. It was meat from African
> cows. But because of conditions there, the meat was too lean. Luckily,
> the EU had a mountain of excess beef fat from other sources. So they
> would add some of that to the mince meat to get a good level of
> fattiness. Mystery meat alright.

Another definition for "factory farming?"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 1:48:24 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 09:37:48 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:

> >> I only use it as a topping before it goes in the oven.
> >> I've noticed that many good chefs have no problem using commercial ketchup.
> >>
> >> Recently heard Bobby Flay say, "It's a good ingredient to use. No need
> >> to "reinvent the wheel."

> >Chinese cooks like ketchup. It's used as a sweetener and because it "brightens" up a dish.

> We use very little ketchup but I like some on cold leftovers,
> especially on a potato omelet. I haven't noticed any change over the
> decades in Heinze Red.

Heinz isn't going to mess with their formula. Many decades ago they switched from cane
sugar to the cheaper corn sugar, but that's not much different than regular sugar.

> And it's extremely easy to jazz it up with
> ordinary cooking ingredients... one of my favorites is to add some
> real maple syrup, zips up most any leftover meat sandwich... will even
> save a mystery meat burger. If McDs offered real maple syrup with
> their condiments they'd double their sales.

Their prices would need to be higher. Plus, most folks prefer artificial maple flavor.
A good addition would be a syrup that is 20-30% real maple, with the rest being light
corn syrup. For pancakes and waffles you should try mixing 2:1 Karo light to real
maple.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2021 5:06 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:

> Heinz isn't going to mess with their formula. Many decades ago they switched from cane
> sugar to the cheaper corn sugar, but that's not much different than regular sugar.

You can buy Simply Heinz with the real sugar. Much better flavor.

> Their prices would need to be higher. Plus, most folks prefer artificial maple flavor.
> A good addition would be a syrup that is 20-30% real maple, with the rest being light
> corn syrup. For pancakes and waffles you should try mixing 2:1 Karo light to real
> maple.

Nope. Real maple syrup or nothing. Would you water down a good bottle
of wine? Beer?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 19:59:51 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 1/17/2021 5:06 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
>>>

>> Heinz isn't going to mess with their formula. Many decades ago they switched from cane
>> sugar to the cheaper corn sugar, but that's not much different than regular sugar.
>>>

>You can buy Simply Heinz with the real sugar. Much better flavor.
>
>> Their prices would need to be higher. Plus, most folks prefer artificial maple flavor.
>> A good addition would be a syrup that is 20-30% real maple, with the rest being light
>> corn syrup. For pancakes and waffles you should try mixing 2:1 Karo light to real
>> maple.

>Nope. Real maple syrup or nothing. Would you water down a good bottle
>of wine? Beer?

Give Bryan a good bottle of Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc and he'll
add a sweetener to it. He's a true Pioneer of the Palate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 5:06:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> Their prices would need to be higher. Plus, most folks prefer artificial maple flavor.

Most people have their taste degraded by decades of industrial food.

> A good addition would be a syrup that is 20-30% real maple, with the rest being light
> corn syrup. For pancakes and waffles you should try mixing 2:1 Karo light to real
> maple.
>
> --Bryan

Ew. Just ew. I always buy grade B maple syrup for its more pronounced natural
maple flavor. Why would I want to dilute that?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2021 7:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/17/2021 5:06 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
>

>> Heinz isn't going to mess with their formula. Many decades ago they
>> switched from cane
>> sugar to the cheaper corn sugar, but that's not much different than
>> regular sugar.
>>>

> You can buy Simply Heinz with the real sugar. Much better flavor.
>

>> Their prices would need to be higher. Plus, most folks prefer
>> artificial maple flavor.
>> A good addition would be a syrup that is 20-30% real maple, with the
>> rest being light
>> corn syrup. For pancakes and waffles you should try mixing 2:1 Karo
>> light to real
>> maple.

> Nope. Real maple syrup or nothing. Would you water down a good bottle
> of wine? Beer?

I always mixed my wine to make wine coolers.
I have both real maple syrup and the "log cabin" type.
Different flavors for different things. I like them both.

I've also considered mixing the two together.