Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default a question of time

On 1/12/2021 12:10 PM, tert in seattle wrote:

>> I may make a pork loin roast one night, a chicken the next and have the
>> leftovers on alternate nights. When I was working, most of my lunches
>> were leftovers and often made my coworkers jealous. Except for the
>> lasagna, as I'd take enough to share.
>>
>> Tomorrow is risotto. I made it Saturday with the intention of having it
>> tomorrow also. It is sausage, butternut squash, peas.

> how do you prepare the leftover risotto? I like to make risotto cakes

I'll just gently nuke it. If needed, I'll add a little cream for the
right consistency.

The risotto cakes sounds good though. If any left, that will be lunch
tomorrow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 2:22:04 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I can't afford to spend 14 hours a week cooking. We're not all retired
> >>

> >I'm not retired, but I could afford to spend 2 hours a day cooking if I
> >wanted to have dinner at bedtime.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> I cook the same way I did in the Navy, I get everything for the entire
> day ready well before breakfast, often some the night before. I
> cooked on average for 350 and did all the cooking myself with the
> galley secured. The biggest time waster is having someone help, just
> get in each other's way. We had three cooks on board and rotated work
> stations every three months. One did all the baking, mostly at night.
> The baker and cook each used a different section of the galley, so
> never got in each other's space. The third station was the spud
> locker, a seperate compartment for
> prepping all the veggies/salads and also made the ice cream. There's
> not a lot of space on a war ship, the galley was not much larger than
> a typical home kitchen, but arranged very differently. We had no
> stove and no pots and pans, we had stacked ovens like for pizza,
> rather than skillets we used large roasting pans, We had two large
> griddles (36" X 48"), and three steam jacketed kettles, 80 quarts
> each. One large mixing machine, 60 quarts. One large slicing
> machine. One large deep fryer. One large rotary bread toaster...
> being it was more than 60 years ago I'm sure I omited some items.
> We couldn't pull up to Walmart for provisions, there were no stores at
> sea other than from a supply ship... typically they highlined more
> than we had storage space, a lot of food came in one side and was deep
> sixed out the other side... many cases of the best frozen beef you
> ever saw went to feed the crabs. I haven't had better filet mignon
> since. The US military eats the best chow on the planet, especially
> the Navy. And the cooks chose the best of the best. Truth be told I
> never ate the food on the day's menu, after boning 25 large hams I
> didn't really feel like eating ham. We had two types of bacon, whole
> slabs that needed slicing and prefried canned bacon,
> petrified bacon... was actually very good, a can paid our toll on the
> CT Pike... sometimes baked goods, bear claws were always appreciated.
> https://www.sprinklebakes.com/2012/1...ear-claws.html
> In those days in uniform my money was no good, in bars, restaurants,
> movies, etc. Many of my best treats were on the Greyhound busses
> bringing me back to my ship in Rhode Island late at night, usually
> some stacked broad got into the seat next to me. Yoose be very
> suprised at what some young married woman will do with a salty sailer
> that they'd never do with hubby.

Nice wall of text. I lost interest at "the night before".

Cindy Hamilton

====

I wasn't interested in stuff to do with the girls etc., but I was
interested in the actual cooking stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
>On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 2:22:04 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

>> >I'm not retired, but I could afford to spend 2 hours a day cooking if I
>> >wanted to have dinner at bedtime.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> I cook the same way I did in the Navy, I get everything for the entire
>> day ready well before breakfast, often some the night before. I
>> cooked on average for 350 and did all the cooking myself with the
>> galley secured. The biggest time waster is having someone help, just
>> get in each other's way. We had three cooks on board and rotated work
>> stations every three months. One did all the baking, mostly at night.
>> The baker and cook each used a different section of the galley, so
>> never got in each other's space. The third station was the spud
>> locker, a seperate compartment for
>> prepping all the veggies/salads and also made the ice cream. There's
>> not a lot of space on a war ship, the galley was not much larger than
>> a typical home kitchen, but arranged very differently. We had no
>> stove and no pots and pans, we had stacked ovens like for pizza,
>> rather than skillets we used large roasting pans, We had two large
>> griddles (36" X 48"), and three steam jacketed kettles, 80 quarts
>> each. One large mixing machine, 60 quarts. One large slicing
>> machine. One large deep fryer. One large rotary bread toaster...
>> being it was more than 60 years ago I'm sure I omited some items.
>> We couldn't pull up to Walmart for provisions, there were no stores at
>> sea other than from a supply ship... typically they highlined more
>> than we had storage space, a lot of food came in one side and was deep
>> sixed out the other side... many cases of the best frozen beef you
>> ever saw went to feed the crabs. I haven't had better filet mignon
>> since. The US military eats the best chow on the planet, especially
>> the Navy. And the cooks chose the best of the best. Truth be told I
>> never ate the food on the day's menu, after boning 25 large hams I
>> didn't really feel like eating ham. We had two types of bacon, whole
>> slabs that needed slicing and prefried canned bacon,
>> petrified bacon... was actually very good, a can paid our toll on the
>> CT Pike... sometimes baked goods, bear claws were always appreciated.

https://www.sprinklebakes.com/2012/1...ear-claws.html
>> In those days in uniform my money was no good, in bars, restaurants,
>> movies, etc. Many of my best treats were on the Greyhound busses
>> bringing me back to my ship in Rhode Island late at night, usually
>> some stacked broad got into the seat next to me. Yoose be very
>> suprised at what some young married woman will do with a salty sailer
>> that they'd never do with hubby.

>Nice wall of text. I lost interest at "the night before".
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I got as far as "I cook the same way I did in the Navy"

even Dave's ultra boring stories have some new content, sometimes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 21:24:25 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

writes:

>>Nice wall of text. I lost interest at "the night before".
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

>I got as far as "I cook the same way I did in the Navy"
>
>even Dave's ultra boring stories have some new content, sometimes

lol

"In the late 80s, a good friend of mine..."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 1:52:04 PM UTC-6, GM wrote:
> [...]
> > > movies, etc. Many of my best treats were on the Greyhound busses
> > > bringing me back to my ship in Rhode Island late at night, usually
> > > some stacked broad got into the seat next to me. Yoose be very
> > > suprised at what some young married woman will do with a salty sailer
> > > that they'd never do with hubby.

> > Nice wall of text. I lost interest at "the night before".
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Then you missed the last sentences that he wrote! Sheldon often has some sort of "tickler" at end of his long posts to keep us "interested" aka "saving the best for last":
> "Many of my best treats were on the Greyhound busses
> bringing me back to my ship in Rhode Island late at night, usually
> some stacked broad got into the seat next to me. Yoose be very
> suprised at what some young married woman will do with a salty sailer

Well, we can't be surprised if he doesn't tell us what those things are that
"some young married woman will do with a salty sailer [sic] that they'd
never do with hubby." Come on Sheldon. Don't be a tease.

> ;-D
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 4:30:07 PM UTC-5, tert in seattle wrote:
> writes:

> >> I cook the same way I did in the Navy, I get everything for the entire
> >> day ready well before breakfast, often some the night before. I
> >> cooked on average for 350 and did all the cooking myself with the
> >> galley secured. The biggest time waster is having someone help, just
> >> get in each other's way. We had three cooks on board and rotated work
> >> stations every three months. One did all the baking, mostly at night.
> >> The baker and cook each used a different section of the galley, so
> >> never got in each other's space. The third station was the spud
> >> locker, a seperate compartment for
> >> prepping all the veggies/salads and also made the ice cream. There's
> >> not a lot of space on a war ship, the galley was not much larger than
> >> a typical home kitchen, but arranged very differently. We had no
> >> stove and no pots and pans, we had stacked ovens like for pizza,
> >> rather than skillets we used large roasting pans, We had two large
> >> griddles (36" X 48"), and three steam jacketed kettles, 80 quarts
> >> each. One large mixing machine, 60 quarts. One large slicing
> >> machine. One large deep fryer. One large rotary bread toaster...
> >> being it was more than 60 years ago I'm sure I omited some items.
> >> We couldn't pull up to Walmart for provisions, there were no stores at
> >> sea other than from a supply ship... typically they highlined more
> >> than we had storage space, a lot of food came in one side and was deep
> >> sixed out the other side... many cases of the best frozen beef you
> >> ever saw went to feed the crabs. I haven't had better filet mignon
> >> since. The US military eats the best chow on the planet, especially
> >> the Navy. And the cooks chose the best of the best. Truth be told I
> >> never ate the food on the day's menu, after boning 25 large hams I
> >> didn't really feel like eating ham. We had two types of bacon, whole
> >> slabs that needed slicing and prefried canned bacon,
> >> petrified bacon... was actually very good, a can paid our toll on the
> >> CT Pike... sometimes baked goods, bear claws were always appreciated.
> >> https://www.sprinklebakes.com/2012/1...ear-claws.html
> >> In those days in uniform my money was no good, in bars, restaurants,
> >> movies, etc. Many of my best treats were on the Greyhound busses
> >> bringing me back to my ship in Rhode Island late at night, usually
> >> some stacked broad got into the seat next to me. Yoose be very
> >> suprised at what some young married woman will do with a salty sailer
> >> that they'd never do with hubby.

> >Nice wall of text. I lost interest at "the night before".
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> I got as far as "I cook the same way I did in the Navy"

Getting things ready in advance can be handy. I sometimes marinate
meat at lunchtime to grill at dinner. But everything else in his post
was irrelevant to the home cook and, as you pointed out, an old story.
I don't have to listen to my father-in-law's endless repetition of the
same old racist, sexist shit anymore, and I don't have to experience
the same thing in Sheldon's posts.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 13:44:36 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 1:52:04 PM UTC-6, GM wrote:

>>> Nice wall of text. I lost interest at "the night before".
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Then you missed the last sentences that he wrote! Sheldon often has some sort of "tickler" at end of his long posts to keep us "interested" aka "saving the best for last":
>> "Many of my best treats were on the Greyhound busses
>> bringing me back to my ship in Rhode Island late at night, usually
>> some stacked broad got into the seat next to me. Yoose be very
>> suprised at what some young married woman will do with a salty sailer
>> that they'd never do with hubby..."
>>

> Well, we can't be surprised if he doesn't tell us what those things are that
> "some young married woman will do with a salty sailer [sic] that they'd
> never do with hubby." Come on Sheldon. Don't be a tease.

Oh Puhleeese! Don't encourage the filthy-minded old git!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Graham wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 13:44:36 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons wrote:

> >> Then you missed the last sentences that he wrote! Sheldon often has some sort of "tickler" at end of his long posts to keep us "interested" aka "saving the best for last":
> >> "Many of my best treats were on the Greyhound busses
> >> bringing me back to my ship in Rhode Island late at night, usually
> >> some stacked broad got into the seat next to me. Yoose be very
> >> suprised at what some young married woman will do with a salty sailer
> >> that they'd never do with hubby..."
> >>

> > Well, we can't be surprised if he doesn't tell us what those things are that
> > "some young married woman will do with a salty sailer [sic] that they'd
> > never do with hubby." Come on Sheldon. Don't be a tease.
> >>

> Oh Puhleeese! Don't encourage the filthy-minded old git!

Now Graham, you know enjoy Sheldon's erotica as much as anyone...even The Bible does not consider sex undignified or forbidden...!!!

;-D

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I can't afford to spend 14 hours a week cooking. We're not all retired
>>>

>> I'm not retired, but I could afford to spend 2 hours a day cooking if I
>> wanted to have dinner at bedtime.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> I cook the same way I did in the Navy, I get everything for the entire
> day ready well before breakfast, often some the night before. I
> cooked on average for 350 and did all the cooking myself with the
> galley secured. The biggest time waster is having someone help, just
> get in each other's way. We had three cooks on board and rotated work
> stations every three months. One did all the baking, mostly at night.
> The baker and cook each used a different section of the galley, so
> never got in each other's space. The third station was the spud
> locker, a seperate compartment for
> prepping all the veggies/salads and also made the ice cream. There's
> not a lot of space on a war ship, the galley was not much larger than
> a typical home kitchen, but arranged very differently. We had no
> stove and no pots and pans, we had stacked ovens like for pizza,
> rather than skillets we used large roasting pans, We had two large
> griddles (36" X 48"), and three steam jacketed kettles, 80 quarts
> each. One large mixing machine, 60 quarts. One large slicing
> machine. One large deep fryer. One large rotary bread toaster...
> being it was more than 60 years ago I'm sure I omited some items.
> We couldn't pull up to Walmart for provisions, there were no stores at
> sea other than from a supply ship... typically they highlined more
> than we had storage space, a lot of food came in one side and was deep
> sixed out the other side... many cases of the best frozen beef you
> ever saw went to feed the crabs. I haven't had better filet mignon
> since. The US military eats the best chow on the planet, especially
> the Navy. And the cooks chose the best of the best. Truth be told I
> never ate the food on the day's menu, after boning 25 large hams I
> didn't really feel like eating ham. We had two types of bacon, whole
> slabs that needed slicing and prefried canned bacon,
> petrified bacon... was actually very good, a can paid our toll on the
> CT Pike... sometimes baked goods, bear claws were always appreciated.
> https://www.sprinklebakes.com/2012/1...ear-claws.html
> In those days in uniform my money was no good, in bars, restaurants,
> movies, etc. Many of my best treats were on the Greyhound busses
> bringing me back to my ship in Rhode Island late at night, usually
> some stacked broad got into the seat next to me. Yoose be very
> suprised at what some young married woman will do with a salty sailer
> that they'd never do with hubby.

Popeye, yoose the finest sailor that ever shit between a pair of
brogans!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

GM wrote:
> Graham wrote:

>>> Well, we can't be surprised if he doesn't tell us what those things are that
>>> "some young married woman will do with a salty sailer [sic] that they'd
>>> never do with hubby." Come on Sheldon. Don't be a tease.
>>>>

>> Oh Puhleeese! Don't encourage the filthy-minded old git!

> Now Graham, you know enjoy Sheldon's erotica as much as anyone...even The Bible does not consider sex undignified or forbidden...!!!
>
> ;-D

Yoose right.
Only the bible contains more wild sex stories than Popeye spews!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 14:56:13 -0700, Graham > wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 13:44:36 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
>> Well, we can't be surprised if he doesn't tell us what those things are that
>> "some young married woman will do with a salty sailer [sic] that they'd
>> never do with hubby." Come on Sheldon. Don't be a tease.
>>>

>Oh Puhleeese! Don't encourage the filthy-minded old git!

Those two could have some great conversations. Over email.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Master Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 14:56:13 -0700, Graham > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 13:44:36 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons wrote:
>>
>>> Well, we can't be surprised if he doesn't tell us what those things are that
>>> "some young married woman will do with a salty sailer [sic] that they'd
>>> never do with hubby." Come on Sheldon. Don't be a tease.
>>>>

>> Oh Puhleeese! Don't encourage the filthy-minded old git!

> Those two could have some great conversations. Over email.

But then you wouldn't get a double sniff master.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 5:40:07 PM UTC-5, tert in seattle wrote:
> writes:

> >> I got as far as "I cook the same way I did in the Navy"

> >Getting things ready in advance can be handy. I sometimes marinate
> >meat at lunchtime to grill at dinner. But everything else in his post
> >was irrelevant to the home cook and, as you pointed out, an old story.
> >I don't have to listen to my father-in-law's endless repetition of the
> >same old racist, sexist shit anymore, and I don't have to experience
> >the same thing in Sheldon's posts.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> The only thing I usually do the night before is take something like meat
> out of the freezer. But I was never a navy cook.

Pretty much the same for me. One exception comes to mind, although
there probably are more.

I don't like canned coconut milk; it's way too strong for me. If I'm
going to be cooking Indonesian, the night before I soak some unsweetened
dried coconut in hot water overnight. Next morning I squeeze the
moisture out of it to use in the marinade and sauces.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 Cindy Hamilton

I didn't post that for a select few of self assumed elites... you
should skip my posts or kill file me because I don't care if you
remain ignorant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> I don't like canned coconut milk; it's way too strong for me. If I'm
> going to be cooking Indonesian, the night before I soak some unsweetened
> dried coconut in hot water overnight. Next morning I squeeze the
> moisture out of it to use in the marinade and sauces.

hmm, one way to cut that would be to mix it half and half or
more with soy milk. i do that with a lot of the Thai curries
i make.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 9:09:33 AM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > I don't like canned coconut milk; it's way too strong for me. If I'm
> > going to be cooking Indonesian, the night before I soak some unsweetened
> > dried coconut in hot water overnight. Next morning I squeeze the
> > moisture out of it to use in the marinade and sauces.

> hmm, one way to cut that would be to mix it half and half or
> more with soy milk. i do that with a lot of the Thai curries
> i make.

I'm pretty satisfied with what I've been doing for the last 40 years.

Plus, I don't have soy milk on hand so that would be another thing
to remember to buy. Dried unsweetened coconut is always in the freezer.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 Cindy Hamilton

> I didn't post that for a select few of self assumed elites... you
> should skip my posts or kill file me because I don't care if you
> remain ignorant.

So, Popeye, *WHY* did yoose post that shit?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 21:43:01 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

writes:
>>On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 Cindy Hamilton

>>I didn't post that for a select few of self assumed elites... you
>>should skip my posts or kill file me because I don't care if you
>>remain ignorant.

>I did skip it, dumbass!

OBVIOUSLY YOU DIDN'T SKIP MY POST, DOUCHEBAG! LOL-LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 1/11/2021 7:57 PM, Master Bruce wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 16:38:16 -0800 (PST),
> > "
> > wrote:

> > > That's total for the WHOLE day including cleaning.

> > Still, that's a lot of time. You must eat well.
> >

> Not really. Most of us are here because we like to cook and like to
> eat well so investing two hours is not a big deal.
>
> I remember going to my grandmother's house on a Sunday and she, along
> with my mother and aunt would spend a couple of hours making kalduny
> for dinner. Sometimes us kids would help by cutting the dough with
> an upside down glass. There would be 11 of us for dinner. It was
> not just dinner, it was a family day together. Hand dipped ice cream
> for dessert, your choice of flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 1/11/2021 7:57 PM, Master Bruce wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 16:38:16 -0800 (PST),
> > "
> > wrote:

> > > That's total for the WHOLE day including cleaning.

> > Still, that's a lot of time. You must eat well.
> >

> Not really. Most of us are here because we like to cook and like to
> eat well so investing two hours is not a big deal.
>
> I remember going to my grandmother's house on a Sunday and she, along
> with my mother and aunt would spend a couple of hours making kalduny
> for dinner. Sometimes us kids would help by cutting the dough with
> an upside down glass. There would be 11 of us for dinner. It was
> not just dinner, it was a family day together. Hand dipped ice cream
> for dessert, your choice of flavor.

And the question was 'per day' not 'per meal'. 20 minutes breakfast,
30 minutes lunch, 10 minutes snacks and thats 1 hour already.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> to eat >> >well so investing two hours is not a big deal.

> along >> >with my mother and aunt would spend a couple of hours
> making kalduny for >> >dinner. Sometimes us kids would help by
> cutting the dough with an >> >upside down glass. There would be 11 of
> us for dinner. It was not just >> >dinner, it was a family day
> together. Hand dipped ice cream for >> >dessert, your choice of
> flavor. >> I can't afford to spend 14 hours a week cooking. We're
> not all retired >>
> >
> > I'm not retired, but I could afford to spend 2 hours a day cooking
> > if I wanted to have dinner at bedtime.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> I cook the same way I did in the Navy, I get everything for the entire
> day ready well before breakfast, often some the night before. I
> cooked on average for 350 and did all the cooking myself with the
> galley secured.

Rest of your completely innacurate drivel deleted. You did not cook
for 350 ever. Everyone knows that. Why you persist in claiming
absolutely obvious lies is some oddiment of your own mind.

Now, reality time. You were a junior cook. Probably E4 at tops.
Remote chance you hit E5 but if so, were a very JUNIOR E5. You spent
your time chopping, peeling and boiling items for others to make into
the final dishes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> [...]

> > two types of bacon, whole slabs that needed slicing and prefried
> > canned bacon, petrified bacon... was actually very good, a can paid
> > our toll on the CT Pike... sometimes baked goods, bear claws were
> > always appreciated.
> > https://www.sprinklebakes.com/2012/1...ear-claws.html
> > In those days in uniform my money was no good, in bars,
> > restaurants, movies, etc. Many of my best treats were on the
> > Greyhound busses bringing me back to my ship in Rhode Island late
> > at night, usually some stacked broad got into the seat next to me.
> > Yoose be very suprised at what some young married woman will do
> > with a salty sailer that they'd never do with hubby.

> Nice wall of text. I lost interest at "the night before".
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ====
>
> I wasn't interested in stuff to do with the girls etc., but I was

And it's all lies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> [...]

> > two types of bacon, whole slabs that needed slicing and prefried
> > canned bacon, petrified bacon... was actually very good, a can paid
> > our toll on the CT Pike... sometimes baked goods, bear claws were
> > always appreciated.
> > https://www.sprinklebakes.com/2012/1...ear-claws.html
> > In those days in uniform my money was no good, in bars,
> > restaurants, movies, etc. Many of my best treats were on the
> > Greyhound busses bringing me back to my ship in Rhode Island late
> > at night, usually some stacked broad got into the seat next to me.
> > Yoose be very suprised at what some young married woman will do
> > with a salty sailer that they'd never do with hubby.

> Nice wall of text. I lost interest at "the night before".
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ====
>
> I wasn't interested in stuff to do with the girls etc., but I was

=====

Ohh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, cshenk1
@cox.net says...

> And it's all lies.

He's one of several regular fantasists here. What they all have in
common is that their real life stalled decades ago. They're like
hamsters in limbo, round and round and round on the same old wheel,
nowhere else to go.

None of them has the faintest awareness of how transparent and
pathetic they and their fantasies are.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> I wasn't interested in stuff to do with the girls etc., but I was
> interested in the actual cooking stuff.

And it's all lies.

====

Could it have been different in his time?? He talking about 60 years
ago??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 4:15:30 PM UTC-6, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 14:56:13 -0700, Graham > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 13:44:36 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons wrote:
> >
> >> Well, we can't be surprised if he doesn't tell us what those things are that
> >> "some young married woman will do with a salty sailer [sic] that they'd
> >> never do with hubby." Come on Sheldon. Don't be a tease.
> >>>

> >Oh Puhleeese! Don't encourage the filthy-minded old git!

> Those two could have some great conversations. Over email.

But the fun part is other people being offended.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 13:43:09 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 4:15:30 PM UTC-6, Master Bruce wrote:

>> >Oh Puhleeese! Don't encourage the filthy-minded old git!

>> Those two could have some great conversations. Over email.

>But the fun part is other people being offended.

You misspelled bored.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > I wasn't interested in stuff to do with the girls etc., but I was
> > interested in the actual cooking stuff.

> And it's all lies.
>
> ====
>
> Could it have been different in his time?? He talking about 60 years
> ago??

No, he would have had MORE help 60 years ago, not less.

A ship of 300 has a cook complement of about 20. His ship was
backtracked by another to have a crew of 150-200. He probably had 15
or more 'cooks' then. Modern ships have more freezer/refridgeration
space hence more prepared foods with less effort hence less cooks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "cshenk" wrote in message
>>
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>

>>> I wasn't interested in stuff to do with the girls etc., but I was
>>> interested in the actual cooking stuff.

>> And it's all lies.
>>
>> ====
>>
>> Could it have been different in his time?? He talking about 60 years
>> ago??

> No, he would have had MORE help 60 years ago, not less.
>
> A ship of 300 has a cook complement of about 20. His ship was
> backtracked by another to have a crew of 150-200. He probably had 15
> or more 'cooks' then. Modern ships have more freezer/refridgeration
> space hence more prepared foods with less effort hence less cooks.

He is full of shit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> or more 'cooks' then. Modern ships have more freezer/refridgeration
> space hence more prepared foods with less effort hence less cooks.

*shudder* ick.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:
> cshenk wrote:
>> or more 'cooks' then. Modern ships have more freezer/refridgeration
>> space hence more prepared foods with less effort hence less cooks.

> *shudder* ick.
>

> songbird

She's not an old timey sailor who prefers a *** cook like Popeye
squirting semen in her scrambled eggs!

Talk about eye-openers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 16, 2021 at 4:32:51 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:
> songbird wrote:
> > cshenk wrote:
> >> or more 'cooks' then. Modern ships have more freezer/refridgeration
> >> space hence more prepared foods with less effort hence less cooks.

> > *shudder* ick.
> >

> > songbird
> >

> She's not an old timey sailor who prefers a *** cook like Popeye
> squirting semen in her scrambled eggs!
>
> Talk about eye-openers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMxALY5IaAs

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> > or more 'cooks' then. Modern ships have more freezer/refridgeration
> > space hence more prepared foods with less effort hence less cooks.

> shudder ick.
>

> songbird

Chuckle, sometimes you just have to deal with months between supply
runs. Ships do get supplies run to them even at sea but you'll get one
long after out of fresh lettuce, tomatoes, fruits and such. You make
do with what you have.

For all of that, the chow on a modern ship is pretty much 3star now
with some ships running a pretty consistant 4star. No, I am not
joking. Sure, you might get some canned veggies in the mix (IE: regular
stuff folks at home eat). You might be eating a soup made with water
added to a premix of spices and barley and/or dried beans. Fresh
mushrooms only last so long so you may find reconstituted dry ones or
canned in places.

Consider the almost garbage the Army gets, Navy chow has always
exceeded all other branches when out in the fields/at sea.

Here's one you may not have thought of but is true. The quality level
for taste is optimized as well as health. That means you don't see
heinz/hunts tomato products or contadina now. Salt too high. Instead
it's Tuitarossa, Red/gold, Del Frattelli (sp) and so on. They taste
better and Navy cooks can work them into reduced sodium diets.

By 'prepared things' I mean they can store industrial sized containers
of Salsa.

You can't manage Vegan and proper nutrition but ovo-lacto vegetarians
won't have a problem on a bigger ship. You can't maintain Halal/Kosher
on a ship but you can easily avoid the most offensive items if not
picky about how it was butchered or who handled it in preparation.

In Sheldon's time, they didn't even try to accomodate for such but
today it is automatic.

Lets look at a typical day on the Essex? (My last ship, main mess
deck). Lunch was designed to be quicker to eat as most got only 45
mins off to go eat. Time in line was seldom more than 10 minutes.
Most would take 15 minutes to eat and have 20 minutes to go smoke or
whatever.

Always the
- Rice, normally white, would vary with long grain and medium,
sometimes brown in a smaller rice maker.
- Beans, types varied as well as spicing but made from dried, had
warning if not vegetarian with what meat or meat fat was added
- a Spicy soup, often meat free with beans
- A mild soup, often a simple chicken noodle
- Salad bar with some 30 items plus 5-6 dressings

Variable per day but always 3 per meal:
- Peas
- Green beans
- Corn
- Carrots
- Cabbage
- Broccoli
- 'other' (Cauliflower, turnip, collard or mustard greens, spinach,
squash in summer yellow or green)

Variable but always 2 per meal
- Pasta or Potato
- Winter squash types

Variable but normally 3 per meal
- Beef (could be chilimac, taco meat for shells or soft wrappers, steak)
- Chicken (could be fried, pasta with chicken, baked, shredded as
alternative to beef tacos on that ship, spagetti and meatballs)
- Seafood option (Shrimp, baked fish portion, fried breaded, steamed
salmon was popular on that ship)
- Pork (shredded, breaded cutlets, pot roasted, oven BBQ ribs)
- Sausage such as kielbasa

Variable but always 2 per meal
- white bread (may be sliced or small buns, may be turned into garlic
bread)
- 'other' (Corn bread, wheat bread, rye bread sometimes)

Desserts Variable but normally 5-6 types
- This is where the 'prepared' kicks in but as the fresh pastries get
used up they still make cookies, cakes, pies from frozen fruits and so
on).

I know thats more than many here wanted to know about US Navy ship
cooking, but hopefully some find the reality to be interesting. It's
not a cruise ship, but it's actually quite good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> [...]

> alternative to beef tacos on that ship, spagetti and meatballs)
> - Seafood option (Shrimp, baked fish portion, fried breaded, steamed
> salmon was popular on that ship)
> - Pork (shredded, breaded cutlets, pot roasted, oven BBQ ribs)
> - Sausage such as kielbasa
>
> Variable but always 2 per meal
> - white bread (may be sliced or small buns, may be turned into garlic
> bread)
> - 'other' (Corn bread, wheat bread, rye bread sometimes)
>
> Desserts Variable but normally 5-6 types
> - This is where the 'prepared' kicks in but as the fresh pastries get
> used up they still make cookies, cakes, pies from frozen fruits and so
> on).
>
> I know thats more than many here wanted to know about US Navy ship
> cooking, but hopefully some find the reality to be interesting. It's
> not a cruise ship, but it's actually quite good.

No bacon for Popeye?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> I know thats more than many here wanted to know about US Navy ship
> cooking, but hopefully some find the reality to be interesting. It's
> not a cruise ship, but it's actually quite good.

that's a heck of a lot more variety and food than i
imagined they'd have. i think i'd weigh 500lbs by the
time i got done with 4yrs of that.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" wrote in message ...

cshenk wrote:
> I know thats more than many here wanted to know about US Navy ship
> cooking, but hopefully some find the reality to be interesting. It's
> not a cruise ship, but it's actually quite good.

that's a heck of a lot more variety and food than i
imagined they'd have. i think i'd weigh 500lbs by the
time i got done with 4yrs of that.

songbird

====

Ahh but think of the enjoyment)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> > I know thats more than many here wanted to know about US Navy ship
> > cooking, but hopefully some find the reality to be interesting.
> > It's not a cruise ship, but it's actually quite good.

> that's a heck of a lot more variety and food than i
> imagined they'd have. i think i'd weigh 500lbs by the
> time i got done with 4yrs of that.
>

> songbird

Grin, smaller ships may not quite hit that but they are not too far
off, just smaller amounts made.

Yes, staying trim tends to be a bit hard for many because the food is
good.

My least favorite is a tie: Liver and onions, collard greens.

Have to admit though whenever they served something, there was always
an alternate or 2 (main or veggie). Only once do I recall a really
oddball set where I ended up snagging peanut butter and jelly and some
bread plus a salad. Not bad for 14 years sea.